Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone give me hope, please...

Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

I've been playing MMOs for a while, I played GW loads, but retired from the game about a year ago, nevertheless loves the game to bits even though it's like half an MMO. After that I tried WoW, I felt like I'm joining the game really late so I couldn't be asked. Then came WAR, I liked the game but it's decreasing population made public quests very unpopulated and couldn't be asked with the game no more, I like PVE a lot more than PVP.

So....all summer I've been waiting for this game, my pc is faooked, so I just ordered a new laptop, it's coming in a week, I have FFXIV lying unopened on my desk right now lol (the laptop has good specs and I don't mind playing the game in low details). I've read a lot of negative stuff about this game, especially by gamespot. But tbh I think Gamespot's reviews are a load of garbbage most of the time.

How good do you guys rate this game out of 10?

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Comments

• ErhunErhun Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Man1ac

I've been playing MMOs for a while, I played GW loads, but retired from the game about a year ago, nevertheless loves the game to bits even though it's like half an MMO. After that I tried WoW, I felt like I'm joining the game really late so I couldn't be asked. Then came WAR, I liked the game but it's decreasing population made public quests very unpopulated and couldn't be asked with the game no more, I like PVE a lot more than PVP.

So....all summer I've been waiting for this game, my pc is faooked, so I just ordered a new laptop, it's coming in a week, I have FFXIV lying unopened on my desk right now lol (the laptop has good specs and I don't mind playing the game in low details). I've read a lot of negative stuff about this game, especially by gamespot. But tbh I think Gamespot's reviews are a load of garbbage most of the time.

For you probably don't bother if the UI is that big of a deal. The UI is so laggy right now that it's just...it's so bad that I can't even describe it.

The only real reason to play right now is to get a head start on leveling. Really that's it.

• wagonfactorwagonfactor Member Posts: 19

gamespot's review was 100% dead on. sure, alot of the stuff could be patched and changed in the future, but no one really knows if it will be.

id honestly give it a 2 out of 10. IMO its unplayable. thats just my opinion. alot of people are somehow having a good time with the game still. i bought a new comp just for ffxiv and i quit playing it before the first week was even up. and thats paying for the $75 ce version. i really really really wanted to like the game.

if you have limited play time, this game is definitely not for you. you will not make any progress whatsoever. i can only play 2 hours a day at the most, if im lucky. and it just wasnt working out for me.

recently started playing team fortress 2 again. not, by any means, an mmorpg ..... but wow! what a phenomenal game!

• ErhunErhun Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by wagonfactor

gamespot's review was 100% dead on. sure, alot of the stuff could be patched and changed in the future, but no one really knows if it will be.

id honestly give it a 2 out of 10. IMO its unplayable. thats just my opinion. alot of people are somehow having a good time with the game still. i bought a new comp just for ffxiv and i quit playing it before the first week was even up. and thats paying for the $75 ce version. i really really really wanted to like the game.

if you have limited play time, this game is definitely not for you. you will not make any progress whatsoever. i can only play 2 hours a day at the most, if im lucky. and it just wasnt working out for me.

recently started playing team fortress 2 again. not, by any means, an mmorpg ..... but wow! what a phenomenal game!

I'm enjoying this game, but it really is a shit storm like you said.

• justandulasjustandulas Member Posts: 165

Sadly, the reviews dont lie this time and it is as bad as advertised. It isn't fun and I don't see it turning around. Specs or not for the computer, the game just was no fun and has so far to go that they may as well just scrap it and start over. Easily the most disappointing MMO and game of the year and will probably sweep worst game awards hands down. 3/10 from me and thats mostly for the incredibly lush graphics that are in the game, but outside of the pretty shell the game is soulless, lacks any purpose, and is downright less fun then old school MUD gamers of the 90's, hell, I'd much rather play Gemstone from 1993 for my masochistic gaming fix than ever step foot back into FF14. FF14, setting the new standard for MMO release failure. Finding a way to outdo APB and STO in the failure department is an accomplishment though I suppose.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

I'm enjoying the game along with my girlfriend... but even we'll admit, the game is in dire need of their content patches and a rebalancing patch that touches on crafting, general combat details (weapon durability loss rate is ridiculous as you get closer to 20 and beyond) and general mob conning (where are the R15ish mobs in the Thanalan region? ><).

Many of the fans even on FFXIV Core wouldn't even give the game much higher than a 6, and I'm also in that vote.

Again, don't get me wrong, I really DO like the game generally and what they're trying to do with it, but it really does need patches because I could not play this game as is for 6 months straight, and I'm sure others are in the same boat.

• Enix1Enix1 Member Posts: 17

The reviews make the game seem alot worse then it is. If you are looking for a fun game to play where you can explore, craft, and fight as well as talk to people who are not ass-heads you will be pretty happy with FFXIV. To many people reviewing it are basing the review on what they think the game should have based on other MMO's, instead of reviewing it based on what it is.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Well, given release, and such, I will give the game 7/10.

It definetly is playable, but maybe not (right now at least) for the more hardcore players who are looking to play 6+ hours a day, and are used to grinding faction, rather than exp.

Also, it lacks a real tutorial on crafting, or combat, so you must figure things out for yourself, and ask questions and possibly even search the forums/internet for information (I personally find this more gratifying than having everything given to me so easily, but that is my opinion.)

Granted, I am only physical level 14, and have crafted a little, there are definetly drawbacks to the game, but if you play it and enjoy it, then that is great, but I don't think it is always the best idea to listen to people's feedback of a game, as everyone seems to want something different.

With that said, this feedback tends to be negative too, as the people who enjoy it will be playing the game, or have no need really to come say everything they love about the game.

It is those who feel cheated, or spent their money and didn't enjoy it that will give the most feedback, and probably even more lengthy reviews, because they are upset, and have nothing better to do now that the game they bought isn't what they hoped for.

So most reviews will be bad, but it is about you personally enjoying a game that really matters in the end.

I think that too many people read the bad reviews and tend to focus on all the negativity rather than the positive, but ah isn't that what we humans are all about?  Negativity reigns supreme.

But if all the negative reviews have instilled enough fear in you, you could always return the game, granted you saved the receipt.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• TaerusTaerus Member Posts: 3

I've played the game from closed beta to now, and I just quit.

I gave it every chance in the world and it is just terrible.

-Poor design

-Incredibly bad UI

-Clunky and uninteresting battle system

-Hellacious crafting system

-All decent armor and gear is from crafting, and crafting even a piece of level 10 gear takes the same effort as getting your epic 1.0 in EQ

-Outside the three main towns, the world is completely barren and uninteresting.

-Nothing but pure grinding.

-Broken party system that rewards solo play over partying.

-Wholly uninspired story content that you only get to witness every 5-10 levels.(which is quite a long span of time in this game)

-Much much more.

Seriously, if you haven't opened it, sell it on ebay or take it back if you can. It's a really bad game. There are a lot of tireless fanboys who will defend the game tooth and nail, but the truth is, it's just a really bad developed game that was rushed out.

So far the only link to FF I have seen in the game is the cactuars and morobols.

If it was called Adventures in Eorzea or something else and did not have FF in the title, it would not get the amount of lee-way it has now.

• acerpg007acerpg007 Member Posts: 164

Don't worry, the UI lag is just the problem and hopefully will be fix by SE. Other stuff(glitches, bugs, etc..) can easily be fix by future patches, and AH is coming(for now, use yg bazaar to act as a AH website) soon so let's cross our fingers about that. You just hear a lot of people hating this game because most of the players that love it are too busy playing the game than writing stuffs in forums. As for me, I love the game even though I haven't played FFIX but  I'm doing essay homework and kinda scan on forums to relax my mind. I have lvl22 Physical Rank PGL at Fabul but I remade at Rabanastre because most of my buddies are there, I'm lvl12 Physical Rank atm.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu, Art of War

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

I think it's really better if you judge for yourself.  Some like it, some don't, don't let anyone tell you if you're allowed to like it or not.  Predemoninantly, you're going to hear from the folks who didn't like it here, because the majority of those who did like it are likely playing right now.

• AgartAgart Member UncommonPosts: 82

I bought the game on september 30th and i already canceled my suscription. I'm a huge fan of the serie and i can't believe they released a game unfinished like this. It lacks polish, content and fun. I agree with gamespot review, i would not recommend this game. I'd give it a 5/10 max.

• justandulasjustandulas Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Bought the CE and played for 6 days then cancelled.  The game is what it is. Everyone spoke of all the great content and parts of the world that would be unlocked on launch and it did not happen.

"But if you're willing to pay for subscriptions and settle with mediocrity for well over a year, we promise to provide the chocobo's we promised at launch by holiday 2011"

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Hope that you can get a refund on that unopened box of yours. So far 2 reviews have indicated that the game is...well below par. The probibility that you willl be able to pick it up again much cheaper (again in several months) is high as it will take that long for them to bring the game to a...almost par status. But judge for yourself before you crack open that jewel case, perhaps you are correct in that the two gaming sites are conspiring to "get EA" and the information on many other game sites  are equaly evil. Nevertheless, at some point in time you will have to take that provervial moment of pause (Hopefully before you open the box) and ask yourself..."are all these people lieing about this game?"

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Taerus

-Poor design

-Incredibly bad UI

-All decent armor and gear is from crafting, and crafting even a piece of level 10 gear takes the same effort as getting your epic 1.0 in EQ

-Outside the three main towns, the world is completely barren and uninteresting.

-Wholly uninspired story content that you only get to witness every 5-10 levels.(which is quite a long span of time in this game)

-Much much more.

There are a lot of things that are justifiably bashed in this game, but this list is a joke.

- The design is different. There's nothing inherently good or bad about it.

- The UI is probably the only element with some truth in it. I have no problems with it, lots of people do.  Using a controller would help many people considerably, I think.

- The battle system is slow, but fun in a group. Battle regimens and incapcitation are especially fun to play with.

- The crafting system in one of the best to be found in current MMOs, comparable to EQ2.

- This is a feature, not a bug. It's called a player driven economy.

- The fact that you said this at all leads me to believe you never actually left the starting areas.

- Ahh, the infamous grind accusation. It's been poorly under utilized ever since they flattened the leveling curve in Aion somewhat. Any game is a grind if you make it that way.

- The party system is fine. See the links above for clarification.

- I thought all three storylines were fantastic, but that's something that's going to be purely personal opinion.

Here's the things the game DOES need to fix:

- Some things take too many steps to do. I like the crafting system a lot, but it's a prime example - it currently takes 6-7 confirmations to craft an item, which is twice as many as it should be.

- UI lagginess is still an issue.

- Regional leves should be reduced to 24 hours.

- Linkshells are feature lite at the moment. I'd like to see them fleshed out more.

- Give our keyboard and mouse players a bone - let them drag and drop their spells, and some hotkeys for targeting specific party members.

- The chat window is missing a lot of core funcationality, and the message character limit is ridiculously short.

<3

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

Well decide for yourself, maybe try a buddy key. I have still a europe one if you like.  Oh and not listen to the drama queens in the forums.  Some informations they spill out are just plain wrong.

Anyway I would not advice the game to anyone so if you are uncertain try to test it somehow out.

The UI lag is at least by me in combat non excistent but it happens kind of strong when you manage your inventory and to some degree while you are crafting, because you must use your inventory than. An other flaw is the market system which will be overworked.

In the end the  game it is a lot about personal like or dislike.

• davedogvdavedogv Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by geldonyetich

I think it's really better if you judge for yourself.  Some like it, some don't, don't let anyone tell you if you're allowed to like it or not.  Predemoninantly, you're going to hear from the folks who didn't like it here, because the majority of those who did like it are likely playing right now.

I guess try it if you already purchased the game, but if it's possible get a refund for the game.  Remember we vote with our wallets.  Try to grab a buddy key, do not give these developers any money for releasing this game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

@ the OP,to be honest,judging by the games you liked,i cannot see any possible way you will like FFXIV.FFXIV is nothing at all like GW or Wow or War,all 3 of those games are just simpleton questing games.FFXIV takes most of those same ideas but makes it more tedious ,nothing related to FUN.

If you are extremely patient and don't mind learning a totally different UI,making your own macros[doubt you will like that],trying to familiarize yourself with a non informative game,poorrly done maps,then you might find the same old questing to be to your liking.The stats game is kind of a gimmick,it is still all related to your level.

IMO wha tFFXIV has done a brilliant job of is the opening hour of the game.You are treated to different story lines for each city,unlike many games that start everyone i nthat same lumped area.The problem is that once the game draws you into thinking this is going to be one amazing game,it is al la fast downhill from that first hour.If yo uwant a few exciting hours of enjoyment,make a different player in a different city,enjoy the cutscenes ,then logoff.

If Sqaure put the same effort into the rest of he game ,beyond that first hour,it would be easily a 9/10 effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Really, I don't like any thread that asks, "will I like this game?"  Because, it's like, I don't know you, I don't know the kinds of games you like, and very rarely do they provide enough detail for me to make a fair judgement.

What have I got to work with here? He's played a lot of Guild Wars... there's really very little similarities at all betwen Guild Wars and FFXIV.  He didn't like WoW because he was too late to the game... well, it's not too late for FFXIV.  He didn't like WAR because the public quests were underpopulated... well, as of yet, the closest thing we've got to public quests in FFXIV ("behests") seem to be reasonably well populated.

I still don't feel it's enough to go on.  Let me put it to you this way:

• Do you like slow-paced games?

• Do you enjoy finding out things for yourself or looking it up on a third party database?

• Are you okay with a console-friendly interface that has frequent client:server interaction delays?

• Are you not afraid of grinding from time to time?

• Are you okay with the idea that you can only progress so far in a single class every RL week?

If you've answered yes to these questions, you've got a chance to like FFXIV.

• navyalcnavyalc Member Posts: 32

The people who have quit FFXIV so far aren't wrong. Gamespot's review isn't wrong either. Most of the time the fanboys and people still playing FFXIV are the ones who are wrong and I am one of them.

It needs a lot of work no doubt about it. I have been crafting more than anything else because its the least buggy part of the game. I'm making a ton of gil and having a lot of fun with it. Any other mmo I have never crafted nor wanted to but FFXIV has done a great job with it. On the side I have some battle types(rank 19 gladiator and various others) but there is little to no content and half of the rank 20 battle leves are broken. Still, the game is playable. I am not rushing my levels and am just trying to enjoy the game as I go.

What needs to be fixed/tweaked in the next week or two(probably months though) is the slow UI, buggy mobs that reset, repairing items, and THE SLOW/ BUGGY COMBAT. Repairing is so tedious and frequent that I don't even bother anymore. I only repair my weapon or tool and call it a day. The combat can be a nightmare. Sometimes I want to throw my monitor out the window because an ability takes 10 seconds to go off and I'm dead by the time it does. As they fix these problems they need to add the dungeons and other content sitting around for all to see but still can't be used. SE has a lot of work ahead of them. Do you want to play while you wait? Or would you rather move on to the next game and or play FFXIV after its been polished a bit?

I've never cared for the Final Fantasy series and have always needed pvp in my games. Recently I have wanted to play a PvE game at least once to see how it goes. A friend talked me into playing FFXIV beta and from there I knew I had to buy it. For some strange reason I am sticking with FFXIV despite it's flaws. My opinion could change next week with the 2nd "big" patch but I'm willing to wait.

This game needs so much more time! I am paying for beta at the moment and I don't mind. I don't consider myself a "fanboy" either. It could be that I lead an incredibly boring life and that is the only reason I enjoy FFXIV. But I like to think I see some potential in this game and the people I play with/ have met so far.

Here is what I like and the "hope" you asked for:

-The community is the best I've seen since the early days of MMOs

-Crafting

-Graphics

-Really deep game that feels like a puzzle most of the time(intentional or because SE gives us no information, who knows).

Edit: I'm probably lying to myself and just regret spending the money on CE. Why else would I be browsing this forum?

• PhillipVIIIPhillipVIII Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Taerus

-Poor design

-Incredibly bad UI

-Much much more.

Seriously, if you haven't opened it, sell it on ebay or take it back if you can. It's a really bad game. There are a lot of tireless fanboys who will defend the game tooth and nail, but the truth is, it's just a really bad developed game that was rushed out.

So far the only link to FF I have seen in the game is the cactuars and morobols.

If it was called Adventures in Eorzea or something else and did not have FF in the title, it would not get the amount of lee-way it has now.

To the OP:  go ahead and play the game.  Then you will see exactly that everything above is correct.

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

I was excited about this game.  But I have been burned a LOT.

I chose to wait this time.   I am so glad.

With all the bad, and so very little good, I have seen about this game there is no way in hell I would pay for it without a trial.

NO WAY.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I have a job where I work all the time and only have an hour or two tops to play a night. I've been playing this since closed beta and feel like I get more done in the limited time then any other game I have played. I log in and get to due to levequest (30min time limit) and level up several different skills while having a good time.

I have played many other games like WoW, Eq2, Aion.... well, every game that has come out since Shadowbane... too long to list... I felt like with WoW for example.. it took so long to get to the quest and get it started, I typically did not have time to return it to the quest giver before I had to log off. Also, getting a group together to do anything was a show.. By time we got a group together (30-45 mins) some goon would leave as soon as we got to the dungeon. I don't feel that in FF as I've been able to find groups pretty quickly and most of the time did not need one at this level.

I do have to say that I hate the market system worst then anything I have ever hated... I hate it with the fury of a thousand jungle beast... It's the worst ever implimented in a game that I have played... in my opinion of course. If they fix that, and add some more content and more quest, I'll be good to go. Just my thoughts though.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Gamespot and GT's reviews were both spot on. IGN's will be coming this week, and I suspect it will also contain the same complaints. If you're okay with spending money to play a beta for several months then go for it. Right now, people are paying for potential. The game could be amazing by next year, but right now it's just bad. There's really no two ways about it.

For me, I simply can't justify supporting the game while SE fixes it. They are a multi-billion dollar company. The game should have stayed in development instead of releasing early for a quick cash grab.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Asking for a rating here is extremely difficult...

Con"Trollers" and "haters" lock in deadly combat with "Fan-bois" and "yuppers" in the arena known as the MMORPG.Com forums...

If you wish for a good opinion consider who you ask, and the how reliable their tastes are compared to you.

In my opinion, I just offer my time to a game first... before I tear that game into shreds and verbally harass the developers with nasty emails.

It is nature,if you lack after all excuses are expired... you deserve to die... preferably to cancer, aids, and torture.

FFXIV has one month (asking for 2 will be close to unbearable), they have to do better.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by navyalc

What needs to be fixed/tweaked in the next week or two(probably months though) is the slow UI, buggy mobs that reset, repairing items, and THE SLOW/ BUGGY COMBAT. Repairing is so tedious and frequent that I don't even bother anymore. I only repair my weapon or tool and call it a day. The combat can be a nightmare. Sometimes I want to throw my monitor out the window because an ability takes 10 seconds to go off and I'm dead by the time it does. As they fix these problems they need to add the dungeons and other content sitting around for all to see but still can't be used. SE has a lot of work ahead of them. Do you want to play while you wait? Or would you rather move on to the next game and or play FFXIV after its been polished a bit?

That made me laugh lol. I suppose tbh you guys are right, there's so much variance the with reviews it's just a matter till I play the game myself, I am fairly patient, so if I do find many of the problems almost unbearable I'll wait for SE to hopefully release some decent bug fixing patches, but thanks for you personal insights of what you think of the game.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.