Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys and gals think ?

daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

From the E3  trailer and the gameplay trailer shown on the perfect world website this game looks like it could be amazing and draw me in like many mmorpgs had in the past. But will it just feel like another F2P mmorpg or bring life back to the free games by making them fun again ?

Comments

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by daniel!!!
    From the E3  trailer and the gameplay trailer shown on the perfect world website this game looks like it could be amazing and draw me in like many mmorpgs had in the past. But will it just feel like another F2P mmorpg or bring life back to the free games by making them fun again ?

From what I played in Chinese focus beta1 i can say this:

- NO it wont bring you uber duper action realtime DMC-like combat.
    - No its not 20000% sandbox.
    - Yes it has the standard mmo class setting, but with certain twists( I bet bards will be played by many more hardcore mmoorpg players just because of how different the playstyle is)
    - PVP is very dynamic. Yes its still click-attack stuff, but just standing there and spamming stuff won't get you anywhere, no matter what gear you have. Why? For one, terrain affects the gameplay and the power of your skills. For two, SoulPK system, which changes the meaning of pvp/pk, every correct hit causes it to lose "soul" (think of what happens in Sonic games when you/Sonic gets hit). You will spend more time timing and catching the "soul" of the enemy than spamming the skills. For three - the target can be "disabled" in various ways, be it paralyzing body parts, damaging the sight and etc. Of course the overall system has a lot of room for improvement, but with the changes they are applying to it in Focus Beta 2, it certainly seems promising.
    - Guilds....just the guilds....That's got to be one of the most sandbox-y approaches to the guilds possible. Think - Age of Empires meets Sim City meets MMORPG meets EVE. Everything from completely customizable rts-like fortress system, to the ability to actually MOVE your guild base from one place of the world to the other reeks of awesome. I spent most of time in FT1 growing the garden in one of the rooms for the purposes of my herbalism profession.
    - Quest approach - Obviously it still has usual killing quests but some quests were....unique. "here I have this short cave tunnel form the forest to the desert area. There's this huge monster blocking my way. Should I try to kill it, search for clues how to defeat it without actual fight, go around looking for some sort of random secret passage or just talk to the bastard" style of quests were certainly interesting. From what I encountered there was also a hide-and-seek style of guest and npc challenging me to a race through a bobby-trapped forest. The usual killing-quests never had more than ~10-20 monsters to kill even at FT1 level cap. Some of them even had certain twists to it (like, "how the heck will i kill this thing that I can't reach or damage?")
    - Professions although not all professions were available in FT1, they were different enough. You won't have the typical WoW/PW style professions where all it differs is what can you do with stuff you collect. From the available professions there were silkroad_online-like traders, rpg-long-dialogues-style diplomats/negotiators, more standard alchemists and blacksmiths, lore and exploration based Adventurers and strange-yet-unique information-collection/mapmaking based Collectors.
    - Dungeons. Some dungeons play like your character dreams(as in everything that happens is inside your character's head), others are more like "oh here our group just happened to encounter this strange carnival and got stuck in a maze" stuff.
    - Most of instance/dungeon/raid loot is handled through getting special tokens from kills that you can exchange for actual stuff. There are "oldschool loot" places and there are places where everyone who participated is equally rewarded.
    - AI - well monsters certainly were not standing around and pretty much everything around me acted according to how "powerful" i was. For example: I attacked a certain monster. I was more powerful. He launched skills intended on slowing me down, increased his own speed, ran a bit, called for help. His help in form of 10+ other monsters decided to berserk-rush me, while my target continued to debuff me from out of my range.
    - Server Mechanics - everything I wrote above actually affected the server itself. Think of server as of "player" and of actual players as of its braincells. Every decision, every choice was building up to something and I was pretty much surprised that every of Focus Beta1 servers played and LOOKED differently, depending on the choices of player base in them. As player-community progresses, Server according to variables changed by players, enters different "Ages" with various differences caused by players, both small and big.

Overall its not "omg next gen action cryengine innovation", but more like "taking the very best elements that are there and adding some very innovative and new twists to them".

if you want something Entirely different from everything you know, then FW won't be for you. You're better off to games like Secret World(or even the PWE-developed upcoming 100% sandbox, Swordsman) then.

However if you want to get back the fun you had in old-time RPG games or the fun you never actually got in mmorpg games, FW is for you.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• IdtaIdta Member UncommonPosts: 24

I really appreciate your review, Yuui! I didn't know too much about this game until I read your post, and I appreciate you took the time to write it.

• polar50polar50 Member Posts: 1
    I also want to say thanks yuui, that was very helpful.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Thanks for the review, hoping the beta starts soon here.

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183

I wouldn't say the Bard is that different, sounds exactly like the Minstrel in LOTRO :)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Nice review

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Yeah, nice review. I'm gonna try it out when it's available here!

• Mud_MonsterMud_Monster Member UncommonPosts: 229

Yuui's overview definately piqued my interest.  This went from a maybe take a peek to a must try.

I enjoyed Heroes of Three Kingdoms(another PWE game) and as much as I liked that setting, I still prefer fantasy and more defined classes, so I think I'll like the FW setting and class layout more.