Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any vets like me see swtor and....

12346»

Comments

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I just wish that this whole SWG vs TOR debate would FINALLY end...

It is the same thing in every single thread. The SWG vets constantly criticize TOR for no other reason than the fact that it is not following the SWG sandbox model. They aren't even really concerned with the features of the game. They quite simply will not accept it unless it is a sandbox. At this point I am so very very tired of this crap. Why can't we discuss the game based on what it is? What good does it do to constantly dig up the SWG nostalgia and make these ridiculous comparisons!? It's not like Bioware is EVER going to change their game design to appease these whiners... nor should they. The simple fact of the matter is that most of us don't want the game to be ANYTHING like SWG. And Bioware agrees with us entirely on this point.

You SWG vets should just give up...

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by yumpinyimini

Sure in the movies you don't see Han Solo out in space just "dickin' around" as the head writer condescendingly put it.  However the ability of someone like Han Solo to board the Falcon, and travel throughout the galaxy unrestrained for whatever reason he chose, was always implied in the films.

This is neither here nor there, but even though you don't see Han Solo "just dickin' around" out in space, clearly he spent a whole hell of a lot of time in a pilot's seat.  Does the head writer thinks he became the ace pilot that he is by sitting on his backside in Mos Eisley playing on-rails space shooters?

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by TUX426

I didn't say 100k-150k are enjoying SWG right now, stop twisting my words.

@Tux: heh... it hasn't gotten you riled up, right,  to have the term 'SWG vet' being used for post-NGE players who have played SWG far longer than the pre-NGE players, or is it to learn that there have been 100k-150k+ players still enjoying SWG post-NGE? image

I simply quoted your own words cyphers.

I see. Well, 'have been still enjoying SWG post-NGE' and 'right now' are two different meanings:

or to phrase 'have been 100k-150k+ players still enjoying SWG post-NGE' as it should be understood, 'there have been subsciber peaks of 100k-150k+ MMO gamers that still enjoyed SWG after the NGE hit'.

Once again, it wasn't the NGE that caused the decline of SWG subs, it was merely a reaction upon it, the rapid decline kicked in heavily when EQ2 and WoW hit the scene. Without those, there would probably never have been a NGE.

Many people like to overlook this fact but I've posted it numerous times, SWG was in decline due in large part to the development of those two games, I actually quit right before the NGE took effect and it was because a great many of the people I played with left the game and I found myself with less and less to do because of the games designed reliance on others for gameplay "experiences".  Honestly how much fun was SWG to explore if you weren't doing it with other people?  It took far too long and you got far too little out of the deal.

From my understanding though the NGE would have happened anyway in some form or fashion because the realization was setting in for them that many of the performance issues and bugs would never get fixed.  Those games helped determine what the NGE was going to be but there was going to be some major changes either way as the writing was clearly on the wall there.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

Originally posted by Unlight

Sure in the movies you don't see Han Solo out in space just "dickin' around" as the head writer condescendingly put it.  However the ability of someone like Han Solo to board the Falcon, and travel throughout the galaxy unrestrained for whatever reason he chose, was always implied in the films.

This is neither here nor there, but even though you don't see Han Solo "just dickin' around" out in space, clearly he spent a whole hell of a lot of time in a pilot's seat.  Does the head writer thinks he became the ace pilot that he is by sitting on his backside in Mos Eisley playing on-rails space shooters?

No I doubt they believe there was never a dull moment in SW, outside of the movies/games. I don't want to find myself just standing around or sitting in a pilot seat for hours on end and I'm sure the majority agrees. Is it that difficult to understand they left the boring parts out, less down time more gameplay?

• Originally posted by Kriosis

Originally posted by Unlight

No I doubt they believe there was never a dull moment in SW, outside of the movies/games. I don't want to find myself just standing around or sitting in a pilot seat for hours on end and I'm sure the majority agrees. Is it that difficult to understand they left the boring parts out, less down time more gameplay?

I find it funny that boring is mentioned in a thread that was started by SWG fanboi QQ. I still remember when it took 10 minutes for a shuttle to show up, and when the only thing you could do was sit in a cantina because the lag was so awful you couldn't go outside. O yes the good ole SWG rofl. It was a good game, but no where near perfect like some disillusioned people are remembering. 

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Its not really a debate for me for SWG vs TOR.. I never played SWG, I was still in my UO universe at that time. I skipped it because of how terrible I heard the NGE was. I think the real thing is there is a group of people mostly sandbox players (raises hand) who just hate Themeparks, its not just the themepark but the insistance on it being a gear based large shoulder pad game with glow in the dark silvery bracers that emit lightning. And every class has to be some holy trinity combat PVE class, and thats all the game is, 50 foot raid bosses.  Are we so wrong for wanting more than that, plus dont get me wrong, I played WOW for years because friends played it, but im played out of that genre, EVE style at this point in my life is far more fun, and I dont have to deal with children.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Faelsun

Its not really a debate for me for SWG vs TOR.. I never played SWG, I was still in my UO universe at that time. I skipped it because of how terrible I heard the NGE was. I think the real thing is there is a group of people mostly sandbox players (raises hand) who just hate Themeparks, its not just the themepark but the insistance on it being a gear based large shoulder pad game with glow in the dark silvery bracers that emit lightning. And every class has to be some holy trinity combat PVE class, and thats all the game is, 50 foot raid bosses.  Are we so wrong for wanting more than that, plus dont get me wrong, I played WOW for years because friends played it, but im played out of that genre, EVE style at this point in my life is far more fun, and I dont have to deal with children.

I don't think you are wrong for your preffered playstyle just a number of a group too small to justify the rising costs of mmo development for alot of companies especially for one developing the most expensive mmorpg of all time.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....