Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population of Aion

Wok3NWok3N Member Posts: 2

I played Aion for about 3 months when the game first came out including some of the closed betas and the game had a tremendous population. However there was a lot of negative criticism towards the game that it was a grindfest, which it certainly was. I am interested to come back to the game and I am curious if the population of Aion on the American servers is still high or if it has dramatically decreased.

Comments

• xjum52xjum52 Member Posts: 22

My friend had to quit because his CPU couldn't handle how many players are at the auction house, let alone fort raids.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

the home zones for each population are packed everyday.  i dont think population is an issue anymore. :)

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• Wok3NWok3N Member Posts: 2

Oh this is great! Thank you :)

• VanskillsVanskills Member Posts: 21

Your friend must have had a 10 year odl compuer than.

I quit AION awile back due to grinding, not really my thing but AION engine was one of the most solid i have ever witnessed in an MMO.

• ArenthasArenthas Member Posts: 85

Extremely packed. 

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Kaburan
    Extremely packed. 

With 85% bots amirite? XD. or did they finally fix that problem?

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by scythe99

Extremely packed. 

With 85% bots amirite? XD

Your wrong.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Originally posted by scythe99

Extremely packed. 

With 85% bots amirite? XD

Your wrong.

Yeah, most of the people are players now, I've only had to report like 2, and they stay in the same area for days running rounds. That and atm people aren't logging out due to the Scorching heats.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Havnt they merged/closed servers due to mass exodus? I'm pretty sure they did.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by karmath

There wasn't really any sort of mass exodus, they simply made the same mistake Warhammer did and opened up more servers than needed shortly after launch to fix the congestion. Though there were certainly plenty of players who left, it wasn't actually the reason server merges were needed.

<3

• CelestialnovaCelestialnova Member Posts: 81

how about the balance now between elyos/asmos?

• SgtEchoSgtEcho Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by mwoodsknight

how about the balance now between elyos/asmos?

on what server? it evened out on Siel, we took Divine :D

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Originally posted by karmath

There wasn't really any sort of mass exodus, they simply made the same mistake Warhammer did and opened up more servers than needed shortly after launch to fix the congestion. Though there were certainly plenty of players who left, it wasn't actually the reason server merges were needed.

True most of the mergers were an attempt to balance out the asmo/elyos pops now they just offer free transfers to different servers that need more of one factions

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

The servers are very healthy nowadays. Everytime i go to Sanctum my pc chokes a bit near the Elyos Square and on the broker/bank zone. I mean, there are just so many people there thats not even funny =P.

And pretty much on every main village of each zone for that matter.

• SinrothSinroth Member CommonPosts: 12

Yep, PACKED population.

...with bots and those who use pvp hacks. :)

• JohansonJohanson Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Sinroth

Yep, PACKED population.

Care to explain why you think servers are packed with bots?

I just started playing Aion again (today) and everyone says that there are none or only few bots now.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Johanson

Yep, PACKED population.

I just started playing Aion again (today) and everyone says that there are none or only few bots now.

This was a troll...the guy has no info, no truth, and 3 posts...

• SinrothSinroth Member CommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Lathander81

Yep, PACKED population.

Unfortunately this info although exaggerated, is not false. An uncanny number of players use or have used pvp hacks and or bots, and bought in game currency throughout this games life, and continue to admittedly do so (he who has the Kinah rules the universe). I'm not going to do your research for you. Some of the most important info was deleted when the new official forums replaced the old one, so your S.O.L. there (very wise on NC's part to do so I must say). Countless players have posted on the new official circle jerk Aion forums, as well as countless other mmo forums about this very issue. The majority who still play will tell you, very little has changed in that respect. You can bet on that. Although there aren't very many still playing regularly who started from launch day. Which leads to...

Additional information: This is because the people wanted change. The powers that be ignored them. So in the end, the people all voted with their wallets. Guess what happened next. Aion lost, and server merges were born... and it's a shame. All truth my friend, all truth. It would be wise for you to take heed in my words. From the time you log in, to the time you log out, you will feel like you made little or no progress for the time you spent. this feeling will only increase as the months go by. I'm sorry to say this game is a complete waste of time. No matter what comeback anyone can give to this, it is impossible to argue. The truth is irrefutable, and it is far to late to salvage the lost subscribers with an expansion rather than fix the problems that still exist from day one. Rule number one. if issues continue to persist now, and are not being acknowledged since day one, then they will never be fixed (issues far too many to list). Apologies if this seems like a Troll post to you, but it was not meant to be. Rather an enlightenment of the wool being pulled over some peoples eyes. Who like myself lived in denial. We all wanted Aion to succeed, but alas that will never be now. Again apologies for the derailment. 

• sh1nysh1ny Member UncommonPosts: 23

Yep, PACKED population.

Unfortunately this info although exaggerated, is not false. An uncanny number of players use or have used pvp hacks and or bots, and bought in game currency throughout this games life, and continue to admittedly do so (he who has the Kinah rules the universe). I'm not going to do your research for you. Some of the most important info was deleted when the new official forums replaced the old one, so your S.O.L. there (very wise on NC's part to do so I must say). Countless players have posted on the new official circle jerk Aion forums, as well as countless other mmo forums about this very issue. The majority who still play will tell you, very little has changed in that respect. You can bet on that. Although there aren't very many still playing regularly who started from launch day. Which leads to...
    Additional information: This is because the people wanted change. The powers that be ignored them. So in the end, the people all voted with their wallets. Guess what happened next. Aion lost, and server merges were born... and it's a shame. All truth my friend, all truth. It would be wise for you to take heed in my words. From the time you log in, to the time you log out, you will feel like you made little or no progress for the time you spent. this feeling will only increase as the months go by. I'm sorry to say this game is a complete waste of time. No matter what comeback anyone can give to this, it is impossible to argue. The truth is irrefutable, and it is far to late to salvage the lost subscribers with an expansion rather than fix the problems that still exist from day one. Rule number one. if issues continue to persist now, and are not being acknowledged since day one, then they will never be fixed (issues far too many to list). Apologies if this seems like a Troll post to you, but it was not meant to be. Rather an enlightenment of the wool being pulled over some peoples eyes. Who like myself lived in denial. We all wanted Aion to succeed, but alas that will never be now. Again apologies for the derailment. 

I did shed a tear. Seriously.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Zorn... are you there???   lol

Seriously, the population is great, servers are packed and Aion is safely the 2nd most played MMORPG on the market. Period

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I quit playing after almost a year, I watched as more and more people were leaving and very few new players starting up. The game is visually stunning, horrendous for drop rates, and an absolute grindfest. When the server merge happened I looked at how my name was changed so that someone with a toon 22 levels below me could have it. I never looked back, and I will buy a special bottle of champaigne to celebrate the day the servers go offline. Sorry to those that are still supporting it as I don't want the players to suffer, but I would really like NCsoft to lose money on that game.  All the effort that I put into that game, which really felt more like work then fun, to just watch it go down the tubes.

On a positive note, I learned a valuable lesson from Aion. If you are not enjoying the actual playtime in the game, then quit. There is nothing to be acheived from grinding. It never makes the game more fun, it never ends up being worth it, it never justifies itself with rewards.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106

I have been playing since closed beta. At the start the amount of people was overwhelming. The first 5 or 6 months were pleasant but a bit overcrwoded at times. Since I'm a casual player I was level 38 after  six months. At that point the game became unplayable for me. When I went out questing, it was ganking all over, so one hour play usually gave 0.01% xp to the next level. I didn't like the instances, too many kids in there. Finally I gave up playing my main char, played a bit still on some lower level chars. Then Aion 2.0 came and now I'm hooked again.

The gankers have disappeared, the xp and rewards have become much better, crafting is is worthwhile again, pvp is quite more balanced since the high level gankers lose a lot of damage in lower level area's. The new solo-instances are great fun. I don't mind the grind at times, but luckely it has become a lot less grinding for levels.

On the bots and gold selling, there are still gold sellers and bots, but just a fraction of what it used to be. The scorching heat event though is more like an afk-event. Every 15 minutes you get a heat, once you have 20 or 50 you can turn them in. I see no real  problem in that though, maybe only for people with low-end pc's.  The population, my server is packed, can't tell you about the others, but I guess it will be the same there.

If you liked the game at the start, now is the time to come back. For me Aion is by far the best modern fantasy-MMO on the market nowadays, although I like EvE also a lot.

• ViggarioViggario Member UncommonPosts: 42

Just returned recently and decided to reroll. The newbie areas are quite packed. Players everywhere! They have really made some nice changes, I am really enjoying the game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Yep, PACKED population.

From what I was seeing many players who had tried Aion would never have liked it anyways.

Lots of screaming and crying on forums for things that "wow had" or they wanted things like "wow".

If you want to talk about the truth then I think what is closer to the truth is that there is a large disenfranchised group of wow players looking for a new game and they wanted Aion to be that game.

Aion wasn't the game that the developers originally touted, this is true, but given that is was harder to level for many people who played games like wow, COH (to name two of the games that seemed to crop up a lot) had a somewhat more open pvp philosophy, more "randomness" than players are used to, it makes perfect sense that it would lose players who would never have liked the game in the first place.

As far as purchasing in game gold, this happened with Linege 2 as well, happenes in WoW. Pretty much happens in every successful game and especially a game where there is some competition.

Nothing new here at all.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

I've played Aion since launch, have max level character with decent gear and several alts in the high 30s. I've just cancelled my sub.

This game is not the same as it was since launch. Server transfers have killed it, the side being slightly dominated on almost every server has seen all the high level hardcore players and the bulk of that factions population transfer to servers where their race has the upper hand. All severs now are seriously unbalanced and possibly only more server merges will help resolve it.

Aion has degenerated to simply a PVE game - 2.0 enforces the point with its new PvE forts and the rifting PVP buff.

Before all of the mis-management by the hands of NCSoft, Aion had a vibrant community much like many people have described above. Plenty of people to group with, some of the best PVP I've ever played - nightly fort raids were simply awesome on a decent computer with the PVPVE dynamic you never knew what was going to happen next. It was fantastic.

Fast-forward to today there is little point to keep playing Aion. The grind to gear up has lost all purpose. Grinding was bearable when there was a goal (i.e. be competitive at forts) but now gear hardly matters at all with the defocus on PVP. The forts now are just turn up, spam skills until either we win or decide we have lost the DPS race against the computer controlled faction and leave. Standing around with LFG empty during prime-time with nothing to do waiting for the PVE forts to start is not fun either.

If you are thinking of getting into Aion now you have missed the boat. Its not worth spending the time levelling up this late in the game and I predict more server merges and eventually the death of the western version of Aion in the next 12 months. I'm not kidding or trolling either - I love Aion and would love to see it prosper but with NCSoft about to launch new MMOs next year I can't see them justify the business case to keep the western servers online in the long term. In typical NCSoft style the community will not be told until the end is upon them.

My advice is to play something else (say free) until 2011 comes around and start anew in one of the many awesome new MMOs about to hit us. Grab a trial key if you want and get to level 10 - then check out LFG, the trade broker and use the search function to see how many people are on line - prepare to be disappointed. Enjoy the constant trolling in the LFG channel as well - at least its used for something.