Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

P2P = Better quality? Really?

Elitekill4Elitekill4 Member Posts: 99

I doubt this, sirs.

I've found that F2P games can do just as well.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, generally seems the P2P games be of a higher quality but it is not as it was 3 years ago when the F2P games were really crappy. 

Runes of magic and moving DDO, LOTRO and EQ2X did improve the bunch.

But most peoples problem with them is that many F2P games are more or less pay2win, unless you spend a lot of money in the cash shop you will suck in most F2P games.

Personally I prefer B2P games.

• NicirinNicirin Member Posts: 9

Hardly... F2P maybe has all the similar content ect... which is fine. You must also understand that with F2P you will not be able to participate in end game without paying money... which is retarded. I would way rather pay monthly for something I know is good than pay at the end of the game to actually have fun playing end game.

GW is the only F2P game that was awesome but the frequency of the expansions was kindof sickening but made sense. Game companies have to make money some how guys. P2P will always be the best games IMO. Some are trash but some are real winners

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Loke666

Well, generally seems the P2P games be of a higher quality but it is not as it was 3 years ago when the F2P games were really crappy. 

Runes of magic and moving DDO, LOTRO and EQ2X did improve the bunch.

But most peoples problem with them is that many F2P games are more or less pay2win, unless you spend a lot of money in the cash shop you will suck in most F2P games.

Personally I prefer B2P games.

DDO, LOTRO, and EQ2X... should not be included in the discussion on quality between "F2P" and P2P.

Both DDO and LOTRO were P2P games.

EQ2X is based off a P2P game.

Of course they are going to have better quality than your average "F2P" game... and thus, the discussion is relatively moot.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

The only reason I dislike ''f2p'' games is because I have no self control lol.

I spend 200$ on the cash shop the first day of play and quit by the end of the week.

Free to play my ass lol

• Elitekill4Elitekill4 Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Nicirin

Hardly... F2P maybe has all the similar content ect... which is fine. You must also understand that with F2P you will not be able to participate in end game without paying money... which is retarded. I would way rather pay monthly for something I know is good than pay at the end of the game to actually have fun playing end game.

GW is the only F2P game that was awesome but the frequency of the expansions was kindof sickening but made sense. Game companies have to make money some how guys. P2P will always be the best games IMO. Some are trash but some are real winners

Except that PvP in GW is actually better than most F2P games despite it only being 8v8 sessions (edit; although it's B2P the trilogy doesn't cost that much so it's pretty much nearly F2P if you don't buy the cosmetic items from the Arenanet online game store). I don't understand how 100 against 100 makes good PvP, if it's the button-mashing type PvP then it's still really bad.

• There's this game which looks promising as a high quality F2P product

1) It's not even in beta, but the game is already looking very polished

2) The devs are very engaged with the community in discussions. Active feedback and response channels is a highly encouraging sign of continued customer support

3) The dev's vision strongly suggest a definite stance against "pay2win" philosophies and has a strong focus on FUN for players. This is just a promise though; remains to be seen on release

It's unfortunate Firefall isn't on mmorpg's gamelist. Though technically, the devs have stated their game isn't considered an mmorpg. Still, i believe it's something many here would get excited about

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Elitekill4

Except that PvP in GW is actually better than most F2P games despite it only being 8v8 sessions (edit; although it's B2P the trilogy doesn't cost that much so it's pretty much nearly F2P if you don't buy the cosmetic items from the Arenanet online game store). I don't understand how 100 against 100 makes good PvP, if it's the button-mashing type PvP then it's still really bad.

100 vs 100 can make fun PvP. The problem is that most MMO has rather bad mechanics for mass battles since they are based on Meridian 59 and EQ which only were intended for PvE. 

I would like to see one or several commanders for each side, like the marines had in Natural selection to add some more strategy to it. A bit of RTS element would do wonder for formation fighting with the right mechanics.

But only 2 games had really great PvP in my opinion: Guildwars and DaoC. Eve also have it's good points but it is not near those 2.

F2P PvP usually really sucks. Some dude who spends more than you will win most of the time even if you are better.

8v8... is describing a small map in a FPS game.  Not PvP in a MMO.

As for GW, coming along now - near EoL - yes, the costs are less.

GW Trilogy - $39.99

GW Eye of the North - $19.99 to $29.99 (it's on sale right now)

GW Bonus Mission Pack - $9.99

GW PvP Access Kit - $19.99

Two upgrades $4.99 a pop.

Seven unlock packs at $9.99 a pop.

Four costumes at $6.99 a pop.

Several services ranging from $9.99 to $14.99.

So excluding the services, you would be looking at $197.83...

But in comparison to somebody wanting to get into WoW:

WoW BattleChest - $29.99

WoW Lich King - $29.99

WoW Cataclysm - $39.99

So you would be at $99.97 and be able to play for six months in comparison...

Of course, GW would likely add additional items... so you might be able to squeeze out another month or two when all is said and done.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

F2P is a scam, period. If you don't use the itemshops you're screwed fast and if you give in, you end up paying more than for any P2P-Game. Scam.

Then again, they wanted $80 for the FFXIV CE, no?  They want $100 for the DCUO CE, no?

Now these people... are smoking some serious virtual crack.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

F2P games, for me, have never been the same quality as P2P.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

I doubt this, sirs.

The only f2p games that have the same quality as a p2p are the ones that started off at a p2p but changed so that you can essentially play the game without spending a dime but eventually subbing.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Loke666

100 vs 100 can make fun PvP. The problem is that most MMO has rather bad mechanics for mass battles since they are based on Meridian 59 and EQ which only were intended for PvE. 

I would like to see one or several commanders for each side, like the marines had in Natural selection to add some more strategy to it. A bit of RTS element would do wonder for formation fighting with the right mechanics.

But only 2 games had really great PvP in my opinion: Guildwars and DaoC. Eve also have it's good points but it is not near those 2.

F2P PvP usually really sucks. Some dude who spends more than you will win most of the time even if you are better.

100 v 100 definitely does sound better than 8v8 when it comes to pvp, although, its still a relatively small number, for a game to have a real pvp environment then you need to be able to have a lot more active participation, DAoC did pretty well with the 3 way battles in RvRvR (RvR imo is just too limiting having a third party upset the plans of the other 2. or on occasion help out is far more entertaining) and while i do think that Eve pretty much does the pvp thing better than most games, for those that are perhaps not as interested in fleet warfare, then games like Planetside really excelled at PvP, even now, outside of Eve i dont know of any game that handled PvP as well as planetside did. Guildwars was good too but, imo, wasnt a patch on DAoC, but few games were in the fantasy genre... Pre WoW at least. what i would like to see is someone come along and do to Planetside what many people claim Blizzard did to the fantasy genre with WoW... but.. small hope of that..

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I doubt this, sirs.

As you started the discussion we deserve a list of what f2p games you say are of a higher quality than p2p games.

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by VirusDancer

8v8... is describing a small map in a FPS game.  Not PvP in a MMO.

As for GW, coming along now - near EoL - yes, the costs are less.

GW Trilogy - $39.99

GW Eye of the North - $19.99 to $29.99 (it's on sale right now)

GW Bonus Mission Pack - $9.99

GW PvP Access Kit - $19.99

Two upgrades $4.99 a pop.

Seven unlock packs at $9.99 a pop.

Four costumes at $6.99 a pop.

Several services ranging from $9.99 to $14.99.

So excluding the services, you would be looking at $197.83...

But in comparison to somebody wanting to get into WoW:

WoW BattleChest - $29.99

WoW Lich King - $29.99

WoW Cataclysm - $39.99

So you would be at $99.97 and be able to play for six months in comparison...

Of course, GW would likely add additional items... so you might be able to squeeze out another month or two when all is said and done.

Don't even pull that, you make it sound like it costs $197.83 just to play GW. Not even close. I've played GW for 3 years, only bought the 3 GW games and the expansion nothing more, and I've had no problem. You make it sound like you have to buy all that to get the full game, which isn't true. those unlock packs are meant for people who just don't want to work for stuff. You can easily unlock everything from those packs by playing the game. The costumes aren't needed, and theres only 4 of them anyway. The "services" you mention are character slots and bank space, which you don't need bc you already have plenty. There's no reason to buy the pvp access kit unless that's all you want. If you buy the game, then you have no need to but the kit bc pvp is included.

So let's see, GW trilogy=39.99

GW Xpac: EotN=19.99 (on sale)

total= around $60.

so $60 total, for as long as you like. (If a new game was to come out, it would be optional)

So then $99.97 for WoW (not to mention all the sub fees).

I think GW still kicks the crap out of WoW if your comparing how much you have to spend to get a full experience.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Is this discussion just restricted to MMOs? Otherwise you have a ton of single and multiplayer games that are infinitely better than subscription based mmos.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I doubt this, sirs.

Except for one minor detail....there is no such thing as an actually "FREE" f2p game out there. All games have a payment model. If you or anyone else pays, it isn't free to play.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Gruug

I doubt this, sirs.

Except for one minor detail....there is no such thing as an actually "FREE" f2p game out there. All games have a payment model. If you or anyone else pays, it isn't free to play.

With the very small exception that YOU do not have to pay to play the game. You can fully choose to not pay anything and still play the game. You might miss out on things and not have access to some things. But you are still not paying anything to PLAY the game. So in that sense it is indeed Free 2 Play.

You are thinking that FREE means you get access to everything. That you are getting a FREE GAME. Nowhere does it state that they are giving you are FREE GAME.  It CLEARLY states Free 2 PLAY.

• noobletonoobleto Member Posts: 33

I would have to say that P2P beats F2P in my book. It just seems like more work is put into P2P. Also GW IS NOT totally F2P as one of the posts above shows. I'm sure this will be the same thing with GW2, but I am ok with that. It's how are economy works. You have to pay to recieve something nice, and that's just life. If people really want a tottaly free F2P game, without ANY cash shop items or xpacs then make it yourself. I would love to see how you deal with all your time and money being poured down the drain. It really seems to me that's what a lot of the whiners seem to want companys to do.

Wrote this really fast. Pardon the bad grammer.

Playing:
    Lotro
    Have Played:
    EQII,DAOC,SWG,COH,EQ,DDO, Lotro,AoC, EvE,Guild Wars,
    Silkroad Online,Aion,and WoW
    Favorite of all time: WoW
    Waiting on:Swtor,Gw2, and Tera

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Gruug

I doubt this, sirs.

Aye, it's misleading. It is really free to try.

Edit: GW's payment model is not free to play. You have to think of the payment model just like any other video game out there, you buy it then play forever.

My bad on the PvP kit... so minus $19.99 on what I said.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    F2p games have gotten better. Games like Atlantica, Perfect World, Runes of Magic, Allods, Aika are really good actually. Add I'n the B2p products like Guild wars and new hybrids DDO, lotro, EQ2x it's no longer a huge drop I'n quality when playing f2p.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Frostbite05

I doubt this, sirs.
    The only f2p games that have the same quality as a p2p are the ones that started off at a p2p but changed so that you can essentially play the game without spending a dime but eventually subbing.

Exactly. And those games had capital to spend on development based on planned box sales, meaning their development was not the development of a free to play game.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by VirusDancer

My bad on the PvP kit... so minus $19.99 on what I said.

yeah but like I said, the only thing you actually need to have a fulfilling experience in GW is the game(s) themselves. The (4) costumes aren't needed, and they're completely fluff, and the unlock packs are also not needed. Bc everything in the game is unlockable by playing. For example, the pet unlock pack just unlocks all the pets for your use...or you can do it the more fun/interesting way and charm the animals that you want to use. Same goes for the skill unlock packs, you get the skills in game, and for a pvp only character you unlock skills by trading in balthazar faction which you get from pvp'ing. That's no different from any other game, where you accomplish things by playing. They only made it more accessible for people who would prefer to get the stuff the easy way. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to you that they have this, especially when it's not a necessity. I mean honestly, I don't know anyone who actually did buy all the unlock packs, why? because they didn't need them.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Building games for the P2P market may not always result in better quality, but the converse is much more often true: games built to be F2P/for the F2P market almost always suck.

And DDO, LoTRO, and others that have recently gone "F2P" (which is a joke, a very misleading term) were not built with F2P in mind. Or they'd have never been funded.