Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allen v. Smart...Derek likely not happy about resolution

JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-According to massively and derek's blog, he paid allen off to go away and settle the lawsuit. All that crap, derek swearing he wouldn't pay Allen a dime, he was going to lose, would rather pay attorneys that him etc etc etc.

Well, he paid Allen as part of the settlement.

And took down all the blog entries, gamasutra comments, his own personal blog pdfs etc.

So hopefully, now Derek will shut up, work on the game and put his focus where it belongs.

It also tickles me just a little bit they bought Allen's interest after all of the bluster, half-truths and mis-statements to others about his view of what the statutes invovled read as, etc. Karma.

I imagine his editing of his blog also means they'll be taking down some of  his more ridiculous rants other places like broken toys, gamasutra, etc. I would post a few favorites here but i have a feeling they'd be removed due to the nature of the settlement. so get 'em while you can.

*Edit*: It appears Mr. Smart asked and the handlers told him okay and the blog entries reappeared. Good for him, sure the wife and family are glad he's spending time on that junk.

Jergis

Comments

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Since David Allen's "The Real History of Quest Online" was taken down due to a Temporary Restraining Order, but  Derek Smart's "Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men" post--which lambastes Mr. Allen--is still up on DerekSmart.com, it's a good bet the settlement didn't favor Mr. Allen.

~Ripper

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I propose that Mr smart change his lastname to "Smrt", to more accurately portray himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I'm reminded of two little girls &^$*$-slapping each other silly, all the while screaming "It's your fault".  They should just get married - and their crappy little game will be their love child (It would probably sue for emancipation!)

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

""it's a good bet the settlement didn't favor Mr. Allen""

-I was particularly focused on the fact that Mr. Allen got paid. Which was the absolute last thing Mr. Smart wanted to do by a reading of his statements (that haven't been self-edited). Some of the more particularly interesting and delusional quotes from Mr. Smart included things akin to drowning Mr. Allen in counterclaims and fighting this case for the next ten years, i'll pay the attorneys but he won't get a dime, his claims are absurd and baseless, etc.

While neither party got what they wanted, coming off his bravado and spinning this settlement (do you really think he'll keep his mouth shut and not put up some excuse as to why he couldn't put his money where his mouth was and not pay off Mr. Allen?) will be a test. I hope he just shuts up and leaves it alone, but history suggests he can't help himself.

Jergis

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by rhinok

Since David Allen's "The Real History of Quest Online" was taken down due to a Temporary Restraining Order, but  Derek Smart's "Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men" post--which lambastes Mr. Allen--is still up on DerekSmart.com, it's a good bet the settlement didn't favor Mr. Allen.

~Ripper

Actually, it's a sure bet that the settlement DID favor Mr. Allen.

Otherwise, QOL and Derek wouldn't have had to pay up.

The fact that the post is still on Dereks personal website just means Derek has decided to use the loophole of "personal opinion" to keep his disparagement of Mr. Allen public.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It took me a while to track down "The Real History of Quest Online" by David Allen.  Anyone searching for it should be able to locate the pdf someone has posted online.

While I'm slightly sympathetic to David Allen, he seems to completely ignore major issues related to Alganon.

The first issue is  why did he release the game in such a crappy state last December?  He received countless bug reports and comments from testers and simply ignored them.

The second issue relates to the games design.  He claims the game is not a WoW clone, just an alternative to WoW.  But why did he copy paste the warrior class talents down to damage amounts.  And why is so much of the game completely derivative of WoW.

The third issue relates to the market changing.  He claims the market vastly changed over the four years from when he started designing the game.  This change wasn't sudden, and so why not adapt rather than ignore the changed market?  He releases a copy/paste of WoW with far less content than WoW released with and he still thinks he can charge $15 a month subscription?

David Allen designed a piss poor game and casting blame for his removal can't undo that.  Allen clearly didn't understand the MMO market himself.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

~Ripper

It really wasn't even about that.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by dsmart

~Ripper

You know; I went into your blog ready to blast you, again, for a horrible and childish tirade, yet found a mature and seemingly thought out post.

Well played.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by skeaser

~Ripper

You know; I went into your blog ready to blast you, again, for a horrible and childish tirade, yet found a mature and seemingly thought out post.

Well played.

Did you just give someone kudos for not ranting like a jackhole? Heh, the modern world rocks.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

~Ripper

Ah, so according to your companies official press release. 

• Your actions/words were in no way defamitory or libelous.

• You had plenty of proof to show the David Allens actions/words were libel and causing harm to your company.

• Your counter suit was strong.

If your case was so strong and nothing David Allen said was true, then why is YOUR company paying as a result of the settlement?

If you are so experienced and didn't "leave yourself open", then why is it your company is the one making payments to David Allen and not the reverse? 

Forgive me for not finding your words reinforced by the results of the legal system.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Daffid011

~Ripper

Ah, so according to your companies official press release. 

• Your actions/words were in no way defamitory or libelous.

• You had plenty of proof to show the David Allens actions/words were libel and causing harm to your company.

• Your counter suit was strong.

If your case was so strong and nothing David Allen said was true, then why is YOUR company paying as a result of the settlement?

If you are so experienced and didn't "leave yourself open", then why is it your company is the one making payments to David Allen and not the reverse? 

Forgive me for not finding your words reinforced by the results of the legal system.

First, its not my company. I just happen to run it for the investors.

Second, read what I wrote in my blog from Sept. 28th. It's all there. In plain English no less.

This will be my final post about this. In fact, I only posted because of the topic of the thread and because some people were clearly ignoring the facts and posting the usual nonsense.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

~Ripper

Thank you for posting a link to the latest article, I hadn't read it.  It's a good follow-up.

~Ripper

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

First, its not my company. I just happen to run it for the investors.

Second, read what I wrote in my blog from Sept. 28th. It's all there. In plain English no less.

This will be my final post about this. In fact, I only posted because of the topic of the thread and because some people were clearly ignoring the facts and posting the usual nonsense.

• I never said you owned the company, sorry if that is how it read, but I think you know what I meant.

• I read your blog.  The settlement was that your company paid Allen money.  Dress it up however you like, the result is clear.

• Something tells me this will not be the last we hear from you on the matter. 
  • JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-The main (non) issue with the blog statement is that he retro-self edits. He was not *just* talking about the lawsuit v him in those statements, though now some of those are missing and others have been edited. I'm just now getting into the Smart bandwagon for internet entertainment, but the guy is fun to watch in action.

Jergis, who decided Mr. Smart's new and possibly-due-to-mood-alterting-catalyst mello-ness is no longer fun

• The user and all related content has been deleted.