Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the Power Supply

theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

I am currently using a TR-2 500 watt power supply, and looking at the specs it has 14 amps on one 12 v rail and 15 amps on the other 12v rail.

My Graphics card pulls 231 watts at max load, according to Tom's (XfX 5750 xxx)

I am assuming that this comes off of both rails. I hope I am right.

Can you guys check my thinking here please?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

A Radeon HD 5750 has a TDP of 86 W.  The charts on Tom's Hardware are probably for the power draw of the full system, since that's a lot easier to measure than which parts use how much power directly.

You should be warned that a Thermaltake TR2 is an awful power supply.  Here's a scathing review of one:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

The specs you list aren't the sort of thing that a reputable company would put on a "500 W" power supply, either.  The link above is to a higher wattage version, but Thermaltake presumably wouldn't pick out the worst one in the line to send for a review.

If it's a gaming system, I'd replace it just on general principle.  If you're leaving everything at stock speeds and have a processor that doesn't burn that much power, so that you'll never draw 200 W from the power supply, it will probably be all right.  Regardless, this would be able to handle your system just fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

• theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

I appreciate it, I dont have the option of purchasing, even a pack of gum. This PSU was bought last christmas on advice from these forums for this card, but in reading the last few weeks Ive tried to discern, how this exact PSU actually operates(performs).

Just trying to educate myself better. One never knows, maybe santa will bring me something. Things seem to work OK, and yes I have a drastically OC'd cpu, no choice, it will only browse if I dont.

Ive done Prime 95 stress testing, and actually am running my CPU under stock voltage, with a 900 mhz OC, it is stable and cool, thanks to a scrounged copper plate quad HSF. I stressed it at this voltage at 1000 mhz OC then dropped the multi, for saftey. Runs same temps as it did out of the box.

I'll assume then that it pulls from both rails? The power figures I got from Toms were for the 5750 XfX 3D power draw , peak total system draw(load) 2010 Gaming Graphics cards (High Quality).

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Yes, the power does come from both rails. Some of the 12V wires will come from the first rail, while some will come off the second rail. Ideally, those wires will be distributed so that both rails are about equally loaded. Regardless, as your system is now, as long as the power supply itself holds up, you shouldn't see any difficulties.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Hopefully hardwaresecrets got a bad unit, which can happen.  If so, the reviewer should have contacted Thermaltake and told them of the problem in order to give Thermaltake an opportunity to respond.  If http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php had gotten his hands on that power supply he would have torn it apart, found the problem and reported it to Thermaltake.  In fact, he would have taken the power supply apart even if nothing was found wrong in testing.  He likes to see what components are used and how they are used.

I was not here last year to give advice on power supplies, though I started working in the computer field in the mid 1980's.

I did not find your power supply as one tested by Jonny, but, I may have missed it.  http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=Search

80 PLUS Verification and Testing Results:  http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/THERMALTAKE_TRX-750M%20TR2%20RX-750AH3CH_ECOS%201894_750W_Report.pdf

Check your model number to verify that it is the same one as tested by 80 PLUS.

EDIT:  I made a big oops on that one.  You have a 500 watt power supply and according to 80 PLUS that particular model was never submitted for testing, at least I did not find it.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

I very much doubt they're the same units - you link TT's newer TRX line, the OP has the TR2, which is an older design.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by swing848

Hopefully hardwaresecrets got a bad unit, which can happen.  If so, the reviewer should have contacted Thermaltake and told them of the problem in order to give Thermaltake an opportunity to respond. 

As it says elsewhere in the review, he did.  Thermaltake sent a second power supply of the same model, which fried in the same way under the same test.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Thanks for the info Quizzical, I did not read the review.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

Thinking about it, and considering the stress (which really tested ram and CPU) and the different bench's Ive run, I am not too worried. Hopefully I don't regret that, Ive done all my benching with the card OC maxed, and CPU at a little over a 1000mhz over. Probably have 6 or 7 hrs, of benching, at those settings.

I dont ever OC the card for gamming, and run the CPU lower than my tests. This PSU replaced an old TSO 350 watt, which I never OC'd the CPU on, and never bench or stressed..

Not much on the system, now just one HD, and Burner, two extra 7v fans. Used my PCI wireless on another project, along with a SCSI controller and drive.

Cool, thanks for the info, it will be usefull.