Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressions on Expansion

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Just wanted to start a quick thread on what everyones thoughts are on the expansion after some play time.

I was only able to log in for a few minutes on my lunch break before I had to go back to work.  I'm on Ruby and the graphical improvement to the sand was stunning.  The difference it made to my immersion was ten fold.

So far I have to tip my hat to AV.  Kudos.

Comments

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

meh. idk why payed money just to try it out.

My blog: image

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

I just asked this in Vent: Its amazing.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by -Zeno-

I just asked this in Vent: Its amazing.

Whoa . .. didnt expect that coming from you. I can't wait to try it!! I am downloading the patch now.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

demand video or calling bullshit.

• RuckupRuckup Member Posts: 111

It isn't AMAZING it is still just the same ole shit.  Nothing of value was added unless you count updating the GFX from 2000 to 2004 which is what this patch did.  I was expecting to log in to this patch and be blown away by the changes but it lokked almost the same as it did.  Seriously this took you a Year to make AV? 

The grind was not even addressed and the DEVS even mocked the community by making a last minute announcement they reduced the grind .... then said we increasesd skill gain of skinning by 15%.  This is what made me quit today because I now know  even the DEVS in this game are greifers.

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

The epxac is nice but not awesome.

Graphics Revamp

Graphics upgrades are nice.  More tiered settings.  You can play very well on higher settings now with no log.  Larger differences beween different graphics settings.  High-end graphics were nice before but there is a more polished feel now and performance is highly improved.

Grind

Much impoved access to cash and resources through the village and treasure maps.  The treasure maps give some pretty nice drops inlcuding rare ores which is a huge grind reducers.

PvE

The dungeon revamps are nice.

Minor AI changes and mob balancing.  More distribution in the different levels of mobs allowing players to find spawns at thier skill level.  Minor AI tweaks making mobs more difficult.  New mob abilities which aree mostly fluff but add to the immersion factor.

Balance Changes

Ray macro nerf is nice but not quite there yet.  people will still QQ about rays being OP.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Ruckup

It isn't AMAZING it is still just the same ole shit.  Nothing of value was added unless you count updating the GFX from 2000 to 2004 which is what this patch did.  I was expecting to log in to this patch and be blown away by the changes but it lokked almost the same as it did.  Seriously this took you a Year to make AV? 

The grind was not even addressed and the DEVS even mocked the community by making a last minute announcement they reduced the grind .... then said we increasesd skill gain of skinning by 15%.  This is what made me quit today because I now know  even the DEVS in this game are greifers.

the 15% skinning gain was only added because low level mobs drop less graves = less skinning exp. obviously the devs do not believe the game needs less grind and neither do 50% of the remaining souls who play DF, so it will never change.

the best changes in this patch imo are ships, performance boost, faster mount, slight wof/ray nerf.

My blog: image

• patshirpatshir Member Posts: 114

It isn't AMAZING it is still just the same ole shit.  Nothing of value was added 

This guy have a point. Just read the patch notes, is there something we can call new or innovative? 

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

i dont know about you..but everything counts... many bigger companies havent done so many upgrades and free in 5 years..and a small indy company show that really cares..yes they are failing at ETA's but finaly they deliver even in a slow pace.. this expansion is the june's patch and the real df2010 expansion is gonna be the real expansion we should talk about ;)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by patshir

It isn't AMAZING it is still just the same ole shit.  Nothing of value was added 

This guy have a point. Just read the patch notes, is there something we can call new or innovative? 

Treasure maps?, Learning the digging skill, crafting a shovel and find the treasure?

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by sodade21

i dont know about you..but everything counts... many bigger companies havent done so many upgrades and free in 5 years..and a small indy company show that really cares..yes they are failing at ETA's but finaly they deliver even in a slow pace.. this expansion is the june's patch and the real df2010 expansion is gonna be the real expansion we should talk about ;)

Just because they call it an "expansion" and say it's free doesn't make it a real expansion. Every game whether its LOTRO, WAR, WoW, etc. comes out with big, freeupdates (usually 5x larger than DF's two "expansions" - but they are bigger so that's understandable). I know both WAR and LOTRO have had a lot more upgrades in this past year than DF can come close to.

It's ignorant, imo, to act like they are being nice and just giving out this precious free updates, when they are to be expected in this day and age. This isn't the original EQ days where they released an x-pac for every new thing - but even those were significant changes to the game.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

If your an old player that would return if new content was added, then this isnt the expansion that will do that unfortunately. For a new player however it would be a good time to start playing, they have focused more on newer players rather than old and current subscribers with this expansion.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Treasure maps?, Learning the digging skill, crafting a shovel and find the treasure?

LOL we expected almost one year for an expansion to get something that others games made from day one as a routine activity? Please.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

LOL we expected almost one year for an expansion to get something that others games made from day one as a routine activity? Please.

There was parallel development this year and devs were split into different projects. Changing the underlying technology ads very much to functionality but you can't show much eyecandy to the public.

I was able to watch a similar process on an open source project. Because the devs of said project did a refactoring of their code and a object restructure they went silent and didnt had anything new to show for a year and after the object restructure was ready there is less features working then a year before. The difference is now they can add more and all features they want.

Same with DF, for example the terrain change it doesn't look like much and many will mismatch it with a simple textures update but that change was groundwork and made treasure maps possible and future sandbox applications using the "new" terrain technology.

We have not gotten everything they worked on the last months. In a few weeks i expect we get the environment gfx changes while the other team is busy creating the dx11 ready engine and the prestige classes. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

We have not gotten everything they worked on the last months. In a few weeks i expect we get the environment gfx changes while the other team is busy creating the dx11 ready engine and the prestige classes. 

Speaking of DX11.. Are they going all out with that, as in dynamic tessellation, etc? Perhaps those with DX11 capability will see more detail, bodies of water will be more "rolling" and not a flat plane with pixel shaders applied to it, etc?

Or, is it going to be more about the performance boost gained from switching to a new DX version?

Not sure how much depth they've gone into with that, if at all.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I am just curious. . what other games had this from "day one"?   I have not played them but they certainly could exist.  Honestly though that seems like an odd comment.  Not every game has the same content. . for example of WoW added an ogre race would you say other games had that since Day One?  Darkfall has a lot of things other game do not have.   I am not likely to resub just for this for sure but your argument seems a little basic.  They have explained what they had to work on as far as underlying structure.   This should allow them to do more in the future - more easily.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by WSIMike

Speaking of DX11.. Are they going all out with that, as in dynamic tessellation, etc? Perhaps those with DX11 capability will see more detail, bodies of water will be more "rolling" and not a flat plane with pixel shaders applied to it, etc?

Or, is it going to be more about the performance boost gained from switching to a new DX version?

We have no detailed info on that tbh. The descriptions of  DF will be "like a entirely new game" ,"will change entirely  the face of Darkfall" just hint that there will be big changes with that.

Oh speaking of water, 1 detail has been given, dunno if its related to dx11 changes but there will be waves on the seas influencing physics and ship maneuvers - steering etc- also cannons etc..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

The haters do have a point though.  If you hated this game before, the expansion is not going to change your mind into liking it.

I love Darkfall just the way it is and think that it could just use a few minor tweaks but am very happy with this expansion.  To each their own.

However, now that their is a free trial there is no reason everyone can't try and experience it for themselves.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

I doubt you will see dynamic tessellation in there DX11 implmentation. It's really a design level addition when it comes to games. It's something you need to plan for from day one and not something that can easily be added in at a later time. Dynamic Tessellation effects the game in just about every graphical way possible.  I doubt there new terrain system was designed with dynamic tessellation in mind seeing as how the changes where more texture and implementation changes then anything else. The new terrain system allows them to easily expand the game world size where the old system was very fixed and less expandable.  I also believe the new system allows them to have better cliffs and such within the game using the terrain engine instead of having to manually model a cliff.  I imagine there backend developer tools are more easier to use with this new setup.

The haters do have a point though.  If you hated this game before, the expansion is not going to change your mind into liking it.

I love Darkfall just the way it is and think that it could just use a few minor tweaks but am very happy with this expansion.  To each their own.

However, now that their is a free trial there is no reason everyone can't try and experience it for themselves.

Pal I was a darkfall lover I played the game several hours a day and became and addict but after 10 months of playing I just little by little started getting sick of going around without anything else to do other than kill and be killed. Any other activity is marginal and frequently disrupted by  pks so I would stay if only they would have more content and storylines but I am really disappointed with this expansion. Quests are reduced to kill x revenants, gaher x meat and so on. Perhaps my sin was trying to find in MMOs what I experienced from pen and paper RPGs and thingking that I would find it on this game.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I wouldnt get my hopes up much for DirectX 11. I say that for many reasons.

1. developers in general tend to oversell and extended timeline by years.

2. AV has a history of that behaviour

3. some developers have put out games with a new direct x family and the game ends up looking pretty much the same as before.

4. the dev team is really small and they dont have the funds to focus on uber expansions to be honest. even though they make claims, the evidence doesnt seem to show it.

That all said, I like the core game which is why I play . I dont expect great game changing expansions in the future although I have to admit I have grown to like player villages much more than I thought I would.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

My only issue with the expansion is the lack of pvp content added. It still takes hours to find pvp unless you find someone farming mobs to gank. AV seriously needs to add more pvp hotspots for players to go to find pvp without any problems. Spots where pvp is expected so the more casual gamers can play for a few hours and not spend all that time "looking" for action through ganking others.

A pve xpack is great but how long do we wait now until something is done about the lack of pvp options? The way things are now you either go out farming mobs or go out trying to track players down for pvp. Pvp in general doesn't have purpose as of yet imo. Unless of course your a rper and base your back story around ganking other players...lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

Originally posted by Ethian

My only issue with the expansion is the lack of pvp content added. It still takes hours to find pvp unless you find someone farming mobs to gank. AV seriously needs to add more pvp hotspots for players to go to find pvp without any problems. Spots where pvp is expected so the more casual gamers can play for a few hours and not spend all that time "looking" for action through ganking others.

A pve xpack is great but how long do we wait now until something is done about the lack of pvp options? The way things are now you either go out farming mobs or go out trying to track players down for pvp. Pvp in general doesn't have purpose as of yet imo. Unless of course your a rper and base your back story around ganking other players...lol

It doesn't take me hours to find PvP.  It takes me minutes.  A few nights ago our group was rolling along killing people from city to city until we met up with another large group.  We got pinched outside an enemy city.  The battle lasted 20 or so minutes, going back and forth.  Pretty even, but then the people from outside the city started coming out and getting off some ganks on us and in the war of attrition we lost.  Hunter became the prey.

This was on NA-1.  What server you on?

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

It doesn't take me hours to find PvP.  It takes me minutes.  A few nights ago our group was rolling along killing people from city to city until we met up with another large group.  We got pinched outside an enemy city.  The battle lasted 20 or so minutes, going back and forth.  Pretty even, but then the people from outside the city started coming out and getting off some ganks on us and in the war of attrition we lost.  Hunter became the prey.

I play on NA as well but I'm taking a break to get my internet connection hooked up in my new house.

I've had similar fights as you mentioned but try finding the same thing two nights in a row. Its very unlikely to happen. I remember going out hunting with huge alliance groups and finding completly empty player cities...hours would go by and we would call it quits due to lack of pvp.

Of course fights do take place but thy happen by chance if two groups meet up with each other in the massive world. Agon needs more "pvp spots" where fights are expected..so players can go to these areas to find a fight and not have to farm player cities and mob spawns all night long.

Dont get we wrong, I really enjoy DFO but something seriously needs to be done about the open world pvp in DFO. I wouldnt even mention the allignment system, that shits fukd up bad lol 

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

I play on NA as well but I'm taking a break to get my internet connection hooked up in my new house.

I've had similar fights as you mentioned but try finding the same thing two nights in a row. Its very unlikely to happen. I remember going out hunting with huge alliance groups and finding completly empty player cities...hours would go by and we would call it quits due to lack of pvp.

Of course fights do take place but thy happen by chance if two groups meet up with each other in the massive world. Agon needs more "pvp spots" where fights are expected..so players can go to these areas to find a fight and not have to farm player cities and mob spawns all night long.

Dont get we wrong, I really enjoy DFO but something seriously needs to be done about the open world pvp in DFO. I wouldnt even mention the allignment system, that shits fukd up bad lol 

I used to be concerned about the alignment system but to me now it is a non-issue.  One thing darkfall has done right is accountability with the one character per account.  People have gained notoriety for the good & bad.  The good players are known.  So are the bad.  Unknown players get tested then either friended or shunned.