Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haters celebrate! WoW is dying!

Comments

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Reklaw

Just wondering why would WoW grow more due to Cat.?

Wouldn't Cat. appeal more towards those who already are playing or have left some time ago and re-sub?

Also how are the subs counted, are the subs counted from day 1 and just added who entered, are those who left left out from the sub-count?

Guess those that left will return to try Cata. But thats where the numbers fail for me. WoW seems to be stable at 11.5-12m and never loses subscribers, according to there stats, over the years. They NEVER fall and i have a hard time believing these numbers give an accurate picture. Marketing ploy i guess, people see the numbers and join in. There are many people in the world that do follow the herds and don't really base a decision on if they like/want it. They do/get it because its popular.

No doubt it is a very popular game but i would like to see the numbers split into Western Population and Eastern Population.

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by Explorium

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Awesome! Now please stay In WoW so these stupid devs understand tha you people don't really like mmos so they could stop creating wow clone after wow clone...

u mad bro?

Ahhh yes, the bitter responses because their favorite IP isn't even in the little leagues. :)

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56

I've been playing MMOs for 15 years, and tbh I keep going back to WoW.  The gameplay isn't deep, the teamwork required is constantly nerfed (30% buff?  Really?), the community is absolute garbage...but the fact is the game is polished and enjoyable to play.  All MMOs have the same premise in some shallow form - level up in some fashion, do end game content - but WoW, even 6 years after release, still does it better than the rest of them.

I left WoW about 3 months ago and have since played 5 different MMOs, including the recently released FFXIV (which is a travesty btw, but thats for another discussion) - I just resubbed to WoW yesterday and rolled a rogue because all the other shit I played just plain sucks.  Bravo to Blizzard imo - congratulations on making a game that has broken almost every record there is for online PC games, and continues to grow 6 years after release. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

One of the reason why they gained a lot of subs recently is Cata and changes to the original world. I don't like WoW and i'm tempted to buy 1 month sub just to run around new durotar and see how it changed. I wonder if they improved the starting experience of old races. I bet there are more people like me.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Two months until release,  WoW-Hype is now officially in overdrive!

Expect to see many, many, many more of these posts... well possibly as far as March 2011.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

One of the reason why they gained a lot of subs recently is Cata and changes to the original world. I don't like WoW and i'm tempted to buy 1 month sub just to run around new durotar and see how it changed. I wonder if they improved the starting experience of old races. I bet there are more people like me.

I havent played in a long while and the closer cata gets the more and more tempting it is to pick it up to see cata changes. Probably level 1 toon to 85 just to see the new areas and call it quits again. Hopefully by then a newer good MMO will be launched.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

WoW took all the features present in every half baked Korean free to play MMO.

Then they added a franchise.

Then they took the only thing in those Korean games even remotely resembling difficulty, the grind, and removed it.

So you are left with instant gratification 'fap and zip' gameplay that everyone who is bad at videogames can feel good in.

I sometimes wonder what the hell wow did to all of you that you're all so butthurt that you're not ashamed at all to spew every nonsense around you that comes to your mind the second you're writing another irrational hate-response. I really don't get it. Is it really the old "the band sucks because they signed a major-deal and this band is the epitome of art, because nobody knows them"-crap, we all went through when we where in our adolescence?

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Czzarre

Originally posted by catlana

Lol, these numbers are pre Cata as well (china just got the wrath expansion). Blizz has a shot at 13 million with the Cata expansion in the West. 

I dont know honestly. Anyone who is going to play WoW...has likely already played it. I doubt there is some untapped Western Audiance that is somehow WoW-Naive

.....perhaps Texas

People from Texas play EVE and Darkfall

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Awesome! Now please stay In WoW so these stupid devs understand tha you people don't really like mmos so they could stop creating wow clone after wow clone...

u mad bro?

Why would I be mad? Honestly I'm happy you guys have WoW to play. I just wished other mmorpg developers understood that you guys/gals are happy playing WoW so we could finally get some diversity In the genre. Think of it like this. I enjoy eve online, I will never stop playing it. All of a sudden a hundred freaking developers make a EvE clone with 10% of my eves content. It's an absolute nightmare, a freaking mmorpg twilight zone. Understand?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

u mad bro?

Why would I be mad? Honestly I'm happy you guys have WoW to play. I just wished other mmorpg developers understood that you guys/gals are happy playing WoW so we could finally get some diversity In the genre. Think of it like this. I enjoy eve online, I will never stop playing it. All of a sudden a hundred freaking developers make a EvE clone with 10% of my eves content. It's an absolute nightmare, a freaking mmorpg twilight zone. Understand?

Yeah, too many people think mmo = wow which is just a glorified diablo anymore. This of course stems from it being many people first and only mmo. I went from UO to WOW back in early 05 and thought "i need to hurry up and place a house on this prime real estate", lol!

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

Originally posted by NeerDoWell

u mad bro?

Yeah, too many people think mmo = wow which is just a glorified diablo anymore.

I'm not here to trash wow. IMO that "wow hate" died In 2007 when I officially stopped playing. I'm here as a fellow mmorpg player. All I want is some diversity In the genre. I hope even the biggest wow fanatic could understand the need for diversity I'n this genre. We already have a perfect version of wow. If I ever wanted to revisit wow I would! When I install a different mmo I shouldn't expect to be playing WoW version 0.25.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by adam_nox

Wow's US servers have been in decline for a long time.  Heck there are lots of dead PvP servers.  

Can you show us all the proof you have of this?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by MimiEZ

Even as a wow player I was a little shocked by this. I understood China would boost the numbers, but I thought tons of people have left the game (like me), hating WOTLK, and waiting for cata...oh well.

Tons of people HAVE left the game, but....tons of people also go back, some of those subs are completely new, etc.  Imagine how many subs they'd have if NO ONE ever left....

I do have one comment about the 12 mil subs though.  They were saying 2 years ago that they hit 12 mil....so....they just hit it again. Which means....refer to paragraph one...lol.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

As much of the hate the game gets here (lol mainstream is the thing to hate!), the game is great in so many ways.  You may not enjoy it personally, but what they do in the game is just above and beyond almost any game.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by MimiEZ

Even as a wow player I was a little shocked by this. I understood China would boost the numbers, but I thought tons of people have left the game (like me), hating WOTLK, and waiting for cata...oh well.

Tons of people HAVE left the game, but....tons of people also go back, some of those subs are completely new, etc.  Imagine how many subs they'd have if NO ONE ever left....

I do have one comment about the 12 mil subs though.  They were saying 2 years ago that they hit 12 mil....so....they just hit it again. Which means....refer to paragraph one...lol.

They never hit 12M before.  The highest they ever announced was 11.5M  and that was before the whole china thing.  When they were completely closed down in china, it hurt their sub numbers a lot.  Almost 50% of those 12M come from the east (china, korea, japan).

I am really surprised they hit a new milestone right now though.  WOW is basically at it's worst state.  There hasnt' been new content in awhile, and there is no reason to grind for gear now.  I would have thought last month would be the lowest month they had in a long time.  The new patch hits next week which bring a lot of new stuff, and then the whole Catacylsm happens next month (the world actually get torn apart a month before the expansion goes on sale).

Just a funny aside.  I play on Fenris, which is one of the least populated pve servers in NA.   At 6am in the morning, there were probably 20 people doing the fishing daily at VH in Dalaran.  I couldn't even find a spot where I wasnt' crossing lines with someone.    Its insane the amount of people who play this game.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

oh wait, no it isn't. 

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?101007

WoW has hit 12 million subscribers!

A great milestone for WoW. Goes to show, a FUN game is going to be more popular than a tedious, boring game.

Hi my name is Explorium and I think I am cool because I play WoW I will be in 9th grade this year and if you don't like WoW or play it your wrong because they have 12 million subs so you HAVE to play and like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by rznkain

oh wait, no it isn't. 

A great milestone for WoW. Goes to show, a FUN game is going to be more popular than a tedious, boring game.

Hi my name is Explorium and I think I am cool because I play WoW I will be in 9th grade this year and if you don't like WoW or play it your wrong because they have 12 million subs so you HAVE to play and like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Children... Play nice!

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Sometimes I'm angry WoW is so popular, afterall it would be better to have 4 mmos with 3mil. subs each but then I think.. At least Blizzard knows how to make games. They don't make preety graphics and put boring gameplay. Maybe if Blizzard crush all those other mmo's devs will learn something from them.

Will never happen.  Too many players with half a brain out there that aren't interested in WoW ... or it's mongoloidal community.  Plenty enough to keep competing games afloat.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

So, Wrath of the Lich King goes live in China and WoW hits the 12million milestone. Wow... big deal. Do you actually now Chinas population? It's 1.3 billion! Take a moment and try to grasp this number. It's about 150 million more than  Europe AND the US together!

Speaking about subscriptions, when was the last time  Blizzard announced numbers for Europe and the States? Some 2 years ago if i recall correct. Why don't they give us today's figures? 

Originally posted by Shodanas

So, Wrath of the Lich King goes live in Chine and WoW hits the 12million milestone. Wow... big deal. Do you actually now Chinas population? It's around 1.5 billion! Take a moment and try to grasp this number. 
    Speaking about subscriptions, when was the last time  Blizzard announced numbers for Europe and the States? Some 2 years ago if i recall correct. Why don't they give us today's figures? 

Because NA/Euro subs are probably lower than normal and it wouldn't make wow look good to share those. It's all PR stuff... Every game does this.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Just wondering why would WoW grow more due to Cat.?
    Wouldn't Cat. appeal more towards those who already are playing or have left some time ago and re-sub?
    Also how are the subs counted, are the subs counted from day 1 and just added who entered, are those who left left out from the sub-count?

Cata is going to appeal to all the people who stopped playing wow a while ago and want to level again through new content.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

12 million sub's, well I tell'ya when the end of the world comes and mankind has to pack it self up in rockets to escape to a new world, that list will come in very handy,

... after all we gott'a know who we don't need to take with us!image

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by rznkain

oh wait, no it isn't. 

Just read the sig bubby.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

NOO this can not be true, the WoW killer FF14 has just been released. This is old data, in 30 days FF14 will have a patch that will take WoW out for good.

• They just got their 5 million + Chinese subscribers back. Of course they are going back to having high numbers. Why do you think they didn't report numbers for nearly 2 years? Wouldn't look good to say 6 million subscribers when they were touting the 11million for so long.

This discussion has been closed.