Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumpgate Evolution: October Development Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Jumpgate Evolution executive producer Lance Robertson has put up a very brief overview of what the team is working on during October. The team is working on PvP, the launcher, event sectors, the economy and more. Check out this snippet to find out what the NetDevil team is up to in October.

Event sectors – layout and design work. Successful tests of mission objectives and PvP aspects. Several prototypes being used to test systems and game play.

Economy – design and mockup/implementation continues. Overall a very cohesive system, but some parts are farther along than others. “Factory” system is well understood and being proven out.

Asteroids – as promised asteroids still appear in the game and some play a larger role than envisioned earlier in the year. BTW, this is not in reference to hauling or hide-and-seek. More to come down the road.

Check out the full post here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I'll be sure to buy this once it releases shortly after duke nuk...wait, WE NEED NEW GIMMICK!

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

Part of me still wants to play this. The other doesn't care anymore. It's been too long.

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Don't the dev behind this realize this game is going come out the door and flop?  It's got nothing going for it,  players just want suck up big boss mob in hallow asriod raid in space.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

The devs took out 90% of what made the original interesting. Being purely combat based will get old *fast*

• serphilithserphilith Member UncommonPosts: 27

They'll put trading back.. don't they? if not I always got ol' Duke :P

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by kishe

I'll be sure to buy this once it releases shortly after duke nuk...wait, WE NEED NEW GIMMICK!

Heheh, always bet on Duke, baby!

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by kishe

Heheh, always bet on Duke, baby!

The Duke trailer from Germany was it? was F'ing awesome. I can't wait to play that lol.

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Looks like this is going to give DFO a run for it's money in the longest development cycle in history o_0

• ThalariusThalarius Member Posts: 125

So many ups and downs, so many disappointments. Too many investors who stop investing in a game that does meet the deadline.  IMHO I think game will be a epic failure and it will take a miracle for it to succeed.  From reading the official post a few months back before they deleted the thread a disgruntle former dev stated game could be delayed until 2012 due to lack of developmental dollars. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Well even Duke Nukem Forever will be released. So i guess there is hope for this .... just give it 12 -14 years

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Does anyone know why exactly they redesigned the game play? If I remember right that was one of the main (if not the main) reason for the long wait.

I mean besides "it sucked", I think that was a direct quote.

What was the game play like before?

What is it like now?

Come on MMO writers/staffers, get some info. I'm not asking for dirt or drama. Is there any kind of MMO game play it could be compaired to in the 'before' or 'after'?

For me its a very good sign if a devloper says "wait, this isnt fun or exciting" and then redoes their whole game. It means they care about the game and how much we (the gamers) will enjoy it. Better to do it before the game releases, than after. *cough* NGE

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ThalariusThalarius Member Posts: 125

NetDevil Studios is a small development company which is based in Colorado, USA.  They have no affilation with some of the big names of the game industry and such developmental dollars are hard to come by.  When they did not release JGE in March 2009, investors sued ND for breach of contract, case was settled out of court.  ND was abled to recover thanks to local investors. 

JGE was originally going to be PURE PVE but they decided to change focus to PVP Sandbox style. Many are against it from reading the forums, ND has so far lost a lot of support and few investors have pulled out. IMHO ND is making the same mistake they did last year and they have not learned thier lessons from before. 

• matrixvsmatrixvs Member Posts: 179

well i my self am in the beta and all i can say is the way it plays now is gona be a no no.

atm it looks a bit like u either have a choice picking up quests or nothing els.

u can level up and stuff but its slow crafting is very basic and unorganized.

ships fly a bit odd and dont respond fast to ur movements and allso when u dock everything looks fugly

• Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

Well there is always black prophecy, but those guys were behind the horrible horrible failure oh could have been so much better if they had a tiny dot of support NEOCRON 2!!!

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

Did it just become 3 years ago when I actually gave a crap?

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by Thalarius

NetDevil Studios is a small development company which is based in Colorado, USA.  They have no affilation with some of the big names of the game industry and such developmental dollars are hard to come by.  When they did not release JGE in March 2009, investors sued ND for breach of contract, case was settled out of court.  ND was abled to recover thanks to local investors. 

JGE was originally going to be PURE PVE but they decided to change focus to PVP Sandbox style. Many are against it from reading the forums, ND has so far lost a lot of support and few investors have pulled out. IMHO ND is making the same mistake they did last year and they have not learned thier lessons from before. 

Hmmm mixed truths here. I know for a fact that JGE was NEVER going to be pure pve. The original was PVP Sandbox with a side dish of some half hearted  PVE, and ND was going to try to one up this game by adding in more PVE.

The drawback of the original was that for some it had too high of a learning curve. Any negative review was dished out by someone who was frustrated because they couldn't "dock" the ship without killing themselves. Not to mention some horrible business decisions that ended up in a lawsuit between ND and their publisher at the time 3DO. (Who did not deliver on their marketing.)

ND has always been a development skeleton crew, a garage start up business with very little financial backing.  They have had a mediocre experience with what now is known as Jump Gate Classic, and a disastrous experience with Auto Assault. 

Patching and fixes to the original during my 3 1/2 yrs of play were slow to come by. Promises of a huge patch and expansion were delayed for over a year from the promised date to the community.  This had angered quite a bit of the original player base due to the fact that in this "patch" was the strongly desired "balancing" of the Octavian's ships vs the nicely balance Solrain faction at the time.

I find it comical that they still use the term "Soon" in their marketing. As that is what they promised the old community about that one big patch. "Soon" went from a couple days, to next week, to next month, and finally to over a year later.

I would love for this game to come out, for it to be at least as good as the original, and for it to gain enough business for ND to afford a larger staff. But in all honesty, I wouldn't hold my breath. This unfortunately is how I've come to see the ND business model. I would love to be a fanboi... but that would be something akin of going back and playing SWG. Just isn't going to happen.

• KaitenKazeKaitenKaze Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by matrixvs

well i my self am in the beta and all i can say is the way it plays now is gona be a no no.

atm it looks a bit like u either have a choice picking up quests or nothing els.

u can level up and stuff but its slow crafting is very basic and unorganized.

ships fly a bit odd and dont respond fast to ur movements and allso when u dock everything looks fugly

What the hell are you talking about!?!?! After they recoiled the game back in 2009 there has not been a beta since!

I want to try what ever your smoking!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Hepisodic

Part of me still wants to play this. The other doesn't care anymore. It's been too long.

Yeah, I was interested in this game a year ago. Now it just feels it will never be released.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Thalarius

At the time of the original plan for JGE when just 1 to 3 people where working on the design of the game. The plan was to take JG and improve upon it. Add more dynamic PVE into the mix and bring the graphics upto par. That was the original plan for JGE a real graphical update to JG with improvements.  And that is how it started out.

But as  that gained more and more popularity within the community and as they moved more people onto the team (The Original JGE team consisted of a bare min crew and for the most part was just 1 person for some time) But as it gained more popularity more and more changed about its design. As more investment came in and such the game basicly changed into being a completely different game then JG.

Before the latest scrap of the game the only real problems with the game stimmed for the AI not being able to navagate the maps and do anything but charge at the player and run into objects around the map. Apparently the problems where so deep that it wasn't something that was correctable without rewritting lots of the design of the game.

The demos and showings they showed of JGE at that time where fairly fun and the pvp worked in an arena / capture the base type of setup. A good number of people enjoyed it along with myself and my friends that where also there to check it out.

Apparently the PVE side left alot of room to improve upon and they where just not capable of doing some of the things they had talked / planned. (Dynamic PVE quests, NPC vs NPC quest generation, ect.)

The new version seems HEAVLY based upon Arena style PVP combat and simple focused quests in instances. You grab a quest in the space station then warp out and it puts you into the quests instance where you play out the story / quest. Rinse and repeat there for the most part.  This allows them to do some fairly interesting boss battles and quests but its anything but a MMO in that regards. More along the GW1 model then anything else.

Saddly I have lost most interest in JGE after they announced the latest vision / version they plan to run / release with. It's basicly everything original JG people did not want in the game. Anything that made the original JGE interesting has been stripped for a simple PVP combat simulator style game. There is no fighting for control of space stations in the open world, no sector guild fighting, ect. Mainly because there is no such thing as a open world in JGE anymore.