Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CitiesXL 2011

xSevendustxxSevendustx Member UncommonPosts: 7

So yes people it has been confirmed. This October 14th, we should be seeing some rejuvination of the series.

Developement

team "FOCUS Home Interactive" has taken command since Monte Cristo closed its doors. The website has been redone and

looks very promising.

New Webiste: http://www2.citiesxl.com/index.php?lang=en

Found out in the forums that a small private beta has just finished and a player review can be found here.

http://forum.citiesxl.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=399

As far as the game being an MMO, that is still unclear. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that plans for that will come later

since there was huge interest for the feature. I personally loved it as I found it more entertaining and sociable to talke/trade

with others as I built my city. I would support a MMO feature 100%.

It also seems there will be a MOD tool kit this time around for all those city builder communities.

Have look see guys. Later.

VQ

Comments

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

They shut down their Planet service a while ago, I don't see why this time would be different.

City building players are rare commodity these days when compared to the masses, and players willing to pay a subscription to a game that is inferior to Sim City 4 + mods is even more rare.

They have to create an absolutely great game to be able to collect subscription or F2P cash shop. Good doesn't cut it, it has to be absolutely great.

• xSevendustxxSevendustx Member UncommonPosts: 7

I dont think that is entirely correct and I don't think your being realisitc or optimistic. When the planet offer was going on there many people who played, that was when there was NO mods, just the Vanilla.

This time around there will be MORE content and improvments to the buggy and restricted version of CitiesXL 2009 Monte Cristo released. This game has already created a lot of buzz among the city builing community. I believe this game will be done right this time around.

VQ

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

The idea of the game intrigued me, but the thought of paying a monthly fee, a $15 one at that, just for an online component to what is mostly a single palyer game, just didn't make sense to me.

If the game had no subscription fee I'd very likely buy the game to tool around in now and then, but a sub based online component doesn't seem right, and the core game itself without online doesn't look to offer as much as SC4 did.

Yes you have a point. If there is a fee. I would not want to pay more than 5 dollars a month. Something similar to Runescape or one of those small games of that nature.

I think this time around there will be more. Im hopping for better terraforming, that was key to Simcity4 and would fit perfect here.

VQ

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one. I'm a huge fan of city builders, and I'm still eagerly awaiting that long-overdue replacement to the ageing Sim City 4. Hopefully this time, under a new development team, CitiesXL will be that game. I'd happily pay for an online component providing it's not a full $15/month. Unfortunately city builders are structured in such a way that they play more like single player games even when there is an online component present. That online component definitely makes a huge difference and contributes much towards one feeling less "lonely" inside the little virtual world, but alas it can't compete with the sociability present in most other MMO's. I'd gladly pay $5/month or so.

Originally posted by Lydon

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one. I'm a huge fan of city builders, and I'm still eagerly awaiting that long-overdue replacement to the ageing Sim City 4. Hopefully this time, under a new development team, CitiesXL will be that game. I'd happily pay for an online component providing it's not a full $15/month. Unfortunately city builders are structured in such a way that they play more like single player games even when there is an online component present. That online component definitely makes a huge difference and contributes much towards one feeling less "lonely" inside the little virtual world, but alas it can't compete with the sociability present in most other MMO's. I'd gladly pay $5/month or so.

I agree. Simcity 4 did a good job with its Online features. There was the Mayor challenge where you create a city and trade them to the other mayors after so long. There was tone of conent and player created content and some tools. This is all why SimCity4 is popular this day.

I really liked the idea of the chat feature while playing and also trading resources with other mayors. If there is a online feature, that will be golden to supporting the feature. I guess my most anticipated aspect of the online is to be able to communicate with other players of some sort.

VQ

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

I am definitely not a fan of the F2P model, but in this case, I think it would be appropriate. Or maybe even an item shop. 

I have talked a lot of smack on this site in the past about F2P and Item Shop games (and I meant EVERY word of it) but in this one instance, I think it would be appropriate.