Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is boring.

darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I swear, I have more problems with this game and I knew it was not worth it. I had problems installing this game, had problems with the main website freezing up my damn firefox, and not only that. After playing the game for a few minutes, I felt very bored going to this stupid slow-ass tutorial that never ends. This game is not very... interactive. The Graphics are like a generic korean game, The tutorial is too long, I'm about to just say "fuck this shitty game" cause how boring it is. I played a few mmo that does not require much of a tutorial or need to be any longer and learn along the way, this game right here is too boring, too many black screens, and too much of a damn problem then it worth spending my time. I'm uninstalling this game...

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Sorry you didn't enjoy the game, Hope you find something you do like.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

hehe it has its own flavor its more of a exploring game than action so yea I wouldnt get your hopes up if you are looking for that type thing, if you want more of a high action thing try potbs it is going f2p soon, I like both tho hehe.As far as the tutorial I dont think you have to do it if you dont want to.

• glommaglomma Member Posts: 209

You dont have to do the  tutorial, but it will give you some idea as to play the game, also some stuff for you first ship, so if i may say so, do the tutorial for some time, then explore some youself, then go back to tutorial again.

See you ingame hopefully..

Plz parden my english, it is not my native language..

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Originally posted by darkedone02

The Graphics are like a generic korean game,

It's not Korean.

You can skip the tutorial, though it's probably a bad idea or else you'll end up completely lost.

Yes, the installer is horrible.  You can find a direct link to the right program elsewhere on this forum and avoid the Netmarble plugin.

• grimmbotgrimmbot Member Posts: 302

I felt very bored going to this stupid slow-ass tutorial that never ends. This game is not very... interactive. The Graphics are like a generic korean game, The tutorial is too long, I'm about to just say "fuck this shitty game" cause how boring it is. I played a few mmo that does not require much of a tutorial or need to be any longer and learn along the way, this game right here is too boring, too many black screens, and too much of a damn problem then it worth spending my time. I'm uninstalling this game...

I'm surprised to say this, but I'm impressed with UWO's tutorial.

This is not a "typical"-themed MMO, so there will be concepts that people won't know about offhand, which require the tutorial -- it seems comprehensive to me, or at least much more so than your average MMO.

The Trader tutorial covered almost all of the shops, so you knew what the Tavern did, which items are sold where, etc., resupplying your ships, it touched on ship combat and trading... I was happy with it.

I have no opinion yet on how sailing between ports or the actual trading system is, since I just finished the tutorial line, but as someone who played Pirates of the Burning Sea, and the UW games for SNES, I was impressed with the tutorial.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

LOL! stick to your FPS

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

It is a "niche" game, it will not suit everyone, but I hear a lot of people ingame that happily abandoned their subscription triple AAA "big league" MMOs because they enjoyed this one so much better.

So its not a game that will suit the majority maybe, but those who DO like it tend to really love it ^_^

At least you do not have to pay $70 upfront for a retail box + subscription to decide whether it is a right game "for you". (And there are easy workarounds for the frustrations you had just to try it, though I much agree it would be better to NOT have such frustrations that turn off a new player ... so I much agree they need to streamline and resolve those issues as not everyone wants to research on forums just to learn how to run a game! We do not disagree at all on that!) 

And a few people even love the graphics ^_^ Yes they are "dated" but to me they are warm and charming, and the muted palettes and colors suit me so much more than some of the garish neon-flashy games I see so much now ...

Anyway, I am sorry it did not work out and hope you find something that you like out there. Lots of choices these days, so even with the gloom-and-doom talk about the MMO market, there actually is a lot of choices these days! It is possible a game like Vindictus will suit you better, as it sounds like it has more f the immediate fun & excitement you seek,  to everyone their own.

• oxbakeroxbaker Member Posts: 59

I swear, I have more problems with this game and I knew it was not worth it. I had problems installing this game, had problems with the main website freezing up my damn firefox, and not only that. After playing the game for a few minutes, I felt very bored going to this stupid slow-ass tutorial that never ends. This game is not very... interactive. The Graphics are like a generic korean game, The tutorial is too long, I'm about to just say "fuck this shitty game" cause how boring it is. I played a few mmo that does not require much of a tutorial or need to be any longer and learn along the way, this game right here is too boring, too many black screens, and too much of a damn problem then it worth spending my time. I'm uninstalling this game...

Instead, just play Pirates of the Burning Sea when it goes free to play soon.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I gave this game a shoot this afternoon, and while the jury is still in deliberation, it still appears to suffer from a lot of the same negatives that other naval based MMOs suffer from -- the fact that 75% of your playtime is centered around watching your ship glide across the water.  Doesn't help matters that so many of the towns in the game look exactly the same.

Overall, I have yet to see a naval themed MMORPG that captures the simplicity and fun of Sid Mier's Pirates, and until I do, I'm likely to not be a big fan of that sub-genre.

• firegamer31firegamer31 Member UncommonPosts: 26

only the young bratty kids find this game boring and man am i glad less griefers and immature brats will be running round lol go back to wow newbsauces hehe

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by firegamer31

only the young bratty kids find this game boring and man am i glad less griefers and immature brats will be running round lol go back to wow newbsauces hehe

I think it's funny that the OP used better grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation than you did. He actually spoke like an intelligent person, instead of talking like some 15yr old spammer in WoW's tradechat. 

Which, to me shows a level of maturity and intelligence. Meaning, I would much rather play with someone like him than someone like you. 

• felinemagicfelinemagic Member Posts: 26

I found the game to be quite boring as well.  I even gave it a second try and then uninstalled it after about 30 minutes...

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

It's thorough, but the tutorial is godawful long and boring too. This was mentioned repeatedly on the forums during CB, and clearly Netmarble couldn't be bothered to try streamline things. There's no excuse for having to constantly run back and forth just for little snippets of dialogue, or in some cases, to other ports (despite no trading being involved). By the time you're actually in a position to implement half of what the tutorial taught you, you've forgotten most of it anyway. And those tutorials are your main early source of job/class change options, so you're pushed pretty hard into enduring them.

It's not a game-breaker, but any remotely-competant developer should understand that the initial experience is crucial when attracting someone to your game, and the tutorial fails horribly in that regard.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• felinemagicfelinemagic Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Mehve

It's thorough, but the tutorial is godawful long and boring too. This was mentioned repeatedly on the forums during CB, and clearly Netmarble couldn't be bothered to try streamline things. There's no excuse for having to constantly run back and forth just for little snippets of dialogue, or in some cases, to other ports (despite no trading being involved). By the time you're actually in a position to implement half of what the tutorial taught you, you've forgotten most of it anyway. And those tutorials are your main early source of job/class change options, so you're pushed pretty hard into enduring them.

It's not a game-breaker, but any remotely-competant developer should understand that the initial experience is crucial when attracting someone to your game, and the tutorial fails horribly in that regard.

Well said Mehve.  This is exactly what bored me to tears.  Ridiculous.

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Have to agree about the tutorial.  Too long and contains stuff that would be better served with an in-game help system.

What kills it for me, as someone who has waded through the tutorial twice, is the game in general.

The quests/missions are patchy in so far as one minute it is 'Go see dave the carpenter down by the docks,' then the next its 'Pirates are plagueing shipping, go kill them,' with no reference to days travel or compas bearing.  One you can find directly the other involves a lot of traveling, questions about going in the right direction, and the expense of re-supply if you get it wrong.

Secondly, on the whole its just plain boring.  It isn't the lack of action, it isn't the lack of desire to build trade routes, it isn't the lack of desire to explore.  Its the overall mechanics of the game.  Every facet of the game, its core mechanics and how it constructs and deals with each event is just dull.  It all works well enough but its as interesting as watching dust settle.

Ship ranged combat is dull.  Boarding actions are dull.  Cities are dull and the rest is just the game Elite from the 80's but at sea instead of in space.

I'm still playing it to see if it has hidden depths but the amount of time spend in front of it is growing shorter with every passing day.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

the Tort/school quests are good to do, completing them teaches you HOW to play the game, from trading/exploring/battle

as well as how to actually setup your ship and toon correctly. completing the final exams for the schools give you weapons and maps to other locations you would not be able to enter normally.

yes its a long boring set of quests. but lots of games have them, it takes about 30minutes to finish the tort and then 10minutes to beat the first school while that seems like a long time, at the end of the beginner school you are already at like rank 5 in your chosen "class" at the end of the final exam for the 3rd/adv school you will be something like rank 10+ many people can get rank 15 off the very final school exam.

i believe the game is trying to recreate the flare the NES version had, so it requires you to work for the stuff you earn, much like you have to explore and search to find rare stuff, they wont just hand it to you like most games will. but its really not for everyone. some people will be bored to tears playing others will enjoy it 100 fold. 

i played all of CBT. and am still playing. its fun just it gets boring at times sailing from london to beirut to do something, from what i have gathered playing it. if you want instant gratifcation its best to stick to a game that you enjoy that gives it.  like AoC or WoW ect. if you dont mind sitting through about 4hrs of npc yammering to finish every school for your picked class set. then try the game (it takes about 4hrs cause from london you sail to pisa for the 3rd/final school. and can take about 1hr to finish all of the quests and exam located there. while it seems like alot of time spent doing that, completing all 3 schools, gives you 10+ levels about 1-3k fame, and special uniform/weapons for that graduation type, items you would not normally get for free. it will also open up all of the game world to you for europe/and meddy sea.)

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

Nothing like going on and on in one unbelievably long unbroken sentence moving on from topic to topic. Sorry, but this is far from hypnotic.

As far as your issues that your having, try updateing your drivers and your software from time to time. Sitting here and crying that your having issue doesn't make the game bad when you yourself barely experienced much of it in the first place.

• khirmellkhirmell Member Posts: 40

Tutorial seems a bit long but however it has its benefits. For example when you graduated the beginner's school you will get your own dormitory for free. Secondly I wouldn't compare this to any other games because it's more exploration and discovery. It's like making your own history back in the 15th century.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

This game is definitely not for everyone. It's appeal is more for the people who enjoy games like EVE, Bounty Bay/VOC and other such games. It's not a fast paced action game by a long shot, but that does not mean it's a bad game at all. 

I for one, love the "slowness" of the game. It is a great change of pace for the fast paced, dungeon crawl, exterminate everything in sight that I enjoy as well.

Yes, the tutorial could be better, streamlined, etc.  But truth be told, there is so much to this game that even after i was  done with that marathon tutorial I still had some questions that I felt did not get answered and had to find the answers for them elsewhere.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

I've been going on and on about this game since I started it 4 days ago.  I've stopped playing everything else entirely.  This isn't a game for those who enjoy immediate action or formulaic structure.  This is closer to sandbox than most games, and a lot like Sid Meir's Pirates or Tradewinds.  (only better)  Some of the users here posted about quitting the game in 30 minutes, which is in no way an indication of the game's quality, but more an indication of what those particular players need attention span wise to get into a game.  The sailing part is not long, tedious, nor boring.  There are layers of strategy involved even while sailing; there are ambushes, natural events, sailor issues on deck, and you can craft while sailing.  There are fun naval battles and intelligent PVP, but I wouldn't call this an action game.  However, it does contain a staggering amount of depth and strategy.  (without being impossible to learn)  I am enjoying the school still, and most players begin the game doing the beginning school before attending the intermediate while mixing it up playing other aspects of the game.  Although there is no such thing as group quests, the social aspect is easy and important to get involved with.  Making friends here was easier for me than any other mmorpg, and more relevant.  Definitely a game to relax, and not try to do tons of quests in single zone to level.  (only allowed one quest at a time)  I'm posting about this game like mad, but only because I wish forums did a better job letting players like me know these games exist.  To each their own, for sure, but a bad game this is not, and the layers/details/depth are unbelievable.  

(I did learn this game was from old nintendo and sega genesis consoles.  It's widely successful internationally.)

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

I kinda gave up on this game on its installation, but hope that it makes it. I loved the old SNES game. Sure, it's not an edge of your seat shooter, but was a good game. A wide open world with a complex economy in a mario era, I hope they get their delivery system straightened out.

This is one I would like to give a try.

I had a issue, then reinstalled and it worked fine.  But i had to change my security settings back after the install.  I haven't had a single issue with the game since.  Even lag isn't an issue, and the population is very high in this game.  Tons of international players . . . luckily most speak good English which is in a way an indication of the intelligence in this game.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Actually, re-downloading it now, they aren't using the netmarble thing as much as they were, or at least giving the option to manually install, so yea, new game.

Looks like the rest of my week is now spoken for.

Cool, let me know if you need help.  I joined a company and it's been indispensable, and surprisingly social.  You can also play five card draw poker in this game, which is how i met my first friends.  Just reply in post or send me message (if you can do that in this forum) and I'll help ya out if you need it.