Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well this is depressing.

MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-06-eve-ccp-gives-a-damn-interview

tl;dr: microtransactions coming to EVE.

We all know how this story ends. Oh well they held out for quite a while I suppose, and there will be some amusing tears for a while from people who buy their $25 Special Super Ghost Twinkle Edition Tribal Tempest and then get themselves ganked.

But still. Shit.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Eurogamer: Business models in MMOs are changing. Are there any plans to use micro-transactions in EVE to allow people to re-map their skills?

Torfi Frans Olafsson: Yeah, we are looking at introducing virtual goods within the game, but we feel those things should be vanity items rather than those that give you a clear benefit over other players in-game.

That said, we are introducing a feature this expansion [Incursion], that does allow you to re-map your attributes using Pilot Licence Extensions, which are bought both in-game and on our website. PLEX represents 30-days subscription within the game.

We will evolve just like everyone else. We will certainly not become a dinosaur. That has not been our style.

So?

You will be able to buy new clothes or paint your ship or something like that? Possibly, even the ability to upload your own skins to the clothes. Those things should really cost real money, as they put a significant performance strain on servers. 

The idea of being able to remap attributes is freaking amazing. I'm sitting here with 2 chars that still have remaps 3 months out and needed to be remapped 6 months ago. Plans change, things are added, your idea of what you want to do and what you want to work towards changes. I would pay for a remap with PLEX in a heartbeat on my miner, who was about to start working on an Orca and Exhumers 5 when I remapped him the first time. Now I'm sitting here with a character running +5s in Mem & Int, +1 (or +2 can't remember) T2 Implants in Percep & Willpower and they still equal out to just under my Mem & Int. 

Why is this depressing? I don't really care, tbh. Microtransactions have been in EVE for a long time now. You have been able to sell GTCs in game for as long as I can remember. I used to make a good portion of my ISK by combing the GTC forums, looking for people in desperate need of ISK and reselling the GTCs for considerable profits. 

I know alot of people don't, but I put alot of trust into CCP. They have been better to me and the game over the past 5yrs than any other game I've ever played.  They understand their game, they understand what it takes to make a good game, they understand what players want and they are gamers themselves. Most other games don't have a single one of those attributes going for their dev teams. 

But, I understand people like to be drama queens and cry about every minor thing CCP does. At least it's not bad as what you see in Second Life. I love that game too, but I freaking hate the drama from the users and the way the Linden Lab works, especially when LL jumps into that drama themselves. 

CCP > Every other MMO company in the world combined. Yeah, they do stupid things sometimes that don't make alot of sense or just plain mess up. But, show me any company or organization anywhere in any part of the world that works perfectly. 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Concur with the post above this one. Can't hurt, and can only help. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Malcanis

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-06-eve-ccp-gives-a-damn-interview

tl;dr: microtransactions coming to EVE.

We all know how this story ends. Oh well they held out for quite a while I suppose, and there will be some amusing tears for a while from people who buy their $25 Special Super Ghost Twinkle Edition Tribal Tempest and then get themselves ganked.

But still. Shit.

So.... EvE is planning on introducing Fluff and services that won't give anyone an advantage over another player .... just like every other pay to play MMO out there (With the exception of those that have become overtly greedy by adding more game breaking items to there shops) ...... and they still don't charge you for expansions and your ready to cry foul?

I'm not sure I follow? Can you explain to me in a bit more detail whats so bad about this?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Boooooooo! Very shitty news.

It always starts out with the fluff, or a testing of the waters if you will. Then the greed inevitably kicks in. I'm rarely disappointed with the decisions that CCP makes, but this is utterly ridiculous.

I've been playing EVE since 2005 but I'm going to have to seriously re-evaluate whether or not I want to continue giving sub money to a company that pulls this kind of crap.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

So.... EvE is planning on introducing Fluff and services that won't give anyone an advantage over another player .... just like every other pay to play MMO out there (With the exception of those that have become overtly greedy by adding more game breaking items to there shops) ...... and they still don't charge you for expansions and your ready to cry foul?

I'm not sure I follow? Can you explain to me in a bit more detail whats so bad about this?

Foresight. Use it.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Cool you will be able to buy pointless fluff items, no doubt for the upcoming pointless fluff avatars that are due with Incarna.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Cecropia

It always starts out with the fluff, or a testing of the waters if you will. Then the greed inevitably kicks in. I'm rarely disappointed with the decisions that CCP makes, but this is utterly ridiculous.

I've been playing EVE since 2005 but I'm going to have to seriously re-evaluate whether or not I want to continue giving sub money to a company that pulls this kind of crap.

Always? UO's shop is still fluff and services as are most pay to play MMO's. Again, I'm not sure I follow the logic. Can you elaborate a bit more? Cryptic and SOE aren't the norm lol. 

Foresight. Use it.

Hyperbole. Quit using it. 

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Foresight. Use it.

History. Use it. 

They aren't stupid and rarely make un-calculated moves that are based solely around Greed. If anything, PLEX was a godsend to EVE. EVE is now one of the few games where gold sellers are pretty much a thing of the past. Yeah, they still exist, yeah people still use them, but if you risk your account to save $2, then you're just a moron. 

I just don't understand how people are so ready to jump and start shouting "greed" when discussing a company that not only gives it's players every expansion for free but also has the option to buy game time with in game currency. To me it's just mind boggling. 

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Yah, it is depressing.

Between Dust514, microtransactions, loads of bugs, major lag since Dominion and a messed up sound engine since Apocrypha it is really hard for me now to not stop my sub.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I am outraged, dammit, I wanted them to start selling automatic "I-win" buttons for  my ship, instead they're going to give us pointless fluff.  image

(how else am I ever going to win at PVP?)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by CyberWiz

Yah, it is depressing.

Between Dust514, microtransactions, loads of bugs, major lag since Dominion and a messed up sound engine since Apocrypha it is really hard for me now to not stop my sub.

Lag is greatly improved from the depths it hit in the summer, so credit to CCP there in all fairness. Dust and vanity microtransactions aren't a reason to quit. Dust you can simply ignore and it wont affect you. Microtransactions you can ignore until they stop being just vanity items and become abusive.

I'm depressed because there will be a constant, extremely powerful temptation for CCP to introduce "just a little" advantage to their cash shop, and as I said, we know where that road ends. As and when they succumb to that temptation is the time to quit.

Until then, might as well enjoy the game as before. No need to cross that bridge until you get to it mate.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The High end boys might not like this one. Time will tell

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Fluff or not I oppose the introduction of it. We pay a subscription and should have access to all content. I wont use the ' slippery slope'  argument as microtransactions with fluff is bad enough in itself. It belongs in "free" games, not subscription games.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Bluefix

Fluff or not I oppose the introduction of it. We pay a subscription and should have access to all content. I wont use the ' slippery slope'  argument as microtransactions with fluff is bad enough in itself. It belongs in "free" games, not subscription games.

Whether we like it or not; it's THEIR product, THEIR service and they can do whatever they like. They don't owe us anything thing, there's no magical rulebook in the sky saying this kind of behavior is evil and that they need to be struck down... It wouldn't make sense for CCP to kill EvE's economy with some new super laser or hyperspeed MWD anyway...

So, some guy get's some uber fluff paint job on his ship for 5 extra bucks; yay, bonus whining in local when he gets popped.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Yah, it is depressing.

Lag is greatly improved from the depths it hit in the summer, so credit to CCP there in all fairness. Dust and vanity microtransactions aren't a reason to quit. Dust you can simply ignore and it wont affect you. Microtransactions you can ignore until they stop being just vanity items and become abusive.

I'm depressed because there will be a constant, extremely powerful temptation for CCP to introduce "just a little" advantage to their cash shop, and as I said, we know where that road ends. As and when they succumb to that temptation is the time to quit.

Until then, might as well enjoy the game as before. No need to cross that bridge until you get to it mate.

You make sense of course, still mad atm.

Thing is, atribute remaps for plex is not a vanity service, it is a way to avoid a gameplay restriction.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

Yah, it is depressing.

Thing is, atribute remaps for plex is not a vanity service, it is a way to avoid a gameplay restriction.

In other MMO's they are called Respec or Retcons or several other names. It's common in a pay to play and it has been a staple of the fluff and service type store that pay to play MMO's use for some time now. 

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

We'll see what incarna brings with the fluff, but anythign that can be bought with ingame money (plex's) and can be converted into something isn't bad imho.

If its £14.99 to buy a ship, then I would leave and never be seen again - as this will screw up the economy

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

Can I have your stuff?

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Some of you guys are worried about something that may not even affect gameplay when it comes out, when it does then you should voice your opinion to CCP.

Originally posted by dismantled

Can I have your stuff?

No you have to buy it now.

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Some of you guys are worried about something that may not even affect gameplay when it comes out, when it does then you should voice your opinion to CCP.

By then it will be too late. That's why you speak up now. Looks like many on the EVE forums are not appreciating the news. Dumb move CCP, you're held to a higher standard than other studios and your customers expect better than this.

Originally posted by dismantled

Can I have your stuff?

No you have to buy it now.

LOL.

Yah, it is depressing.

Yeah I know mate, I argued against them as it happens. Of course the absolute effect of plex respecs will be fairly minor, but they're a good indicator of the way things will go. If nothing else, they instantly discredit the foolish notion that CCP will only ever sell vanity fluff. They're starting right away with stuff that gives an in-game advantage, however minor.

If it stopped with respecs, then in all honesty, I'd be kind of against it in principle, not bothered enough in practice to make a big deal over it (I'm training at full spec speed and have been for well over a year, and probably will until I stop so hey, I got mine). But it takes someone with more faith in human nature than I have to believe that it will stop there forever.

***SPECULATION ALERT***

How about the possibility that CCP really need money, but not because EVE isn't sufficiently a success? (Financially, EVE is probably one of the most successful MMOs other than WoW, whichis an anomaly) All that development of WoD, Dust and Incarna, effectively developing 3 games (plus the effort spent on EVE proper), doing that shit cant be cheap. They're burning through a lot of cash, and I wouldn't be surprised if an Icelandic company has trouble raising investment monies.

I mean ffs, we know that they have only the haziest idea of how an economy that they have total knowledge and control over works. And they're pretty terrible about predicting consequences too. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they've shit the bed in real life. What if they bought in to their own hype and they've bitten off more than they can financially chew? What if they got bank scammed? I find either scenario entirely plausible.