Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be an awsome new IP to explore for a MMORPG

Comments

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Dune

Dragonriders of Pern

David Edding's Belgariad

Julian May's Pliocene Saga

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Firefly. if you never saw the series, basic scenario is that humans terraformed a bunch of planets, some better than others. They went to colonize them, but money ran out. So you have everything from laser guns to bows and arrows.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Aquazen

As the title states, there are so many, but I would love to see a Naruto mmorpg, although the little kiddes may make it hell.

Well to be particular, by saying "new IP" that would imply it is something that doesn't exist yet. So by your post I am assuming you mean what existing IP would people like to see in a new MMO.

Honestly I think creating a brand new IP is the best way to go. That way you can make sure everything fits into an MMO world smoothly and you don't have the issue of people having to point out all the ways the MMO doesn't match up with existing knowledge of universe of the IP you used. Problem is that just sticking a famous IP on an MMO is seen as a way to get instant success so I don't think a lot of major studios want the risk of making an original IP around an MMO. You stick Star Wars on something and instantly sell 1-2 million copies out the door. Make the same MMO but stick it in a brand new IP that has never before existed and you would be lucky to even get media coverage about the game and a couple hundred thousand in sales.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

I always wanted: Legacy of Kain Online

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

My second vote would be for an MMO based on The Windup Girl

From Wiki

"The Windup Girl is set in the 23rd century: Global Warming has raised the levels of world's oceans, carbon fuel sources have become depleted, and manually wound springs are used as energy storage devices. Biotechnology is dominant and mega corporations like AgriGen, PurCal and RedStar (called calorie companies) control food production through 'genehacked' seeds, and use bioterrorism, private armies and economic hitmen to create markets for their products. Frequent catastrophes, such as deadly and widespread plagues and illness, caused by genetically modified crops and mutant pests, ravage entire populations. The natural genetic seed stock of the world's plants has been almost completely supplanted by those that are genetically engineered to be sterile."

While that is the post-apoc big picture, the book gives a lot of thought to day to day survival which I think would be the main 'game' of the MMO. Food is life and money in the world.

There are interesting genetically altered animals, (giant elephants, cats that have some chameleon DNA and cat camo them selves, etc.)

The 'windups' are not cyborgs like the name would suggest, just a derogatory term for them. They are genetically altered humans made to be slaves basically, but are superhuman in some ways.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by jarzium

definitely magic: the gathering! the thought of slaying a shivan dragon or fighting along side with serra angels just sends shiver down my spine.

but then  again, look at how ravaged WAR is....

Backed. MTG would make a great MMORPG if they didn't fuck it up. 

Shandalar! (sp)

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

I have said it before in similar threads but i would really like to see a Battletech/Mechwarrior MMO

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I would absolutely love to see a Star Trek MMORPG. Done right this IP could really shine and create a very immersive experience I think.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Firefly, Shadowrun...or any cyberpunk.

Firefly, as a *well done* MMO could have both themepark and sandbox elements...but then "well done" seems more likely to be something you hear in a steakhouse than the MMORPG industry of late.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I think MMO's should avoid movie IP's like the plague. Ideally MMO's should be built from the ground up with their own universe. Sure there is some advantage to tapping into a large fanbase, but you also run the risk of alienating the same fanbase if it doesn't play to their expectations. I think when you force players to play a certain way to adhere strictly to it's storyline, you leave the player behind. I think you need to build the storyline from the ground up with the players in mind. Make them the focus rather than some character in a movie. The player is then an active participant rather than a mere spectator that tags along for the ride.

Archlinux ftw

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96

How about something from the "Magic Kingdom of Xanth" series of books?

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Arkain

I always wanted: Legacy of Kain Online

gosh, i've missed that game!!

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

A Sandbox MMORPG based on the Babylon 5 Universe would be great.

• kikan1kikan1 Member Posts: 50

Splinter Cell. Epic

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Wheel of Time.

Faerun. Preferably 3.5, preferably closer to the actual rules than DDO.
    On a similar note, Middle Earth, not done horribly wrong and missing the point.

The Elder Scrolls.

Magic: The Gathering.

Stark and Arcadia (The Longest Journey games).

The word and the Void.

Firefly.

Any of these would make fine virtual worlds, in my opinion. However, the key is not in the world you use, but in the way it is built. The lore can help you, but it can also constrain you. And if you do not let it constrain you, anything you change runs the risk of alienating what may have been the core audience (see LotRO and DDO, form above, for what I mean by this). Going with an established world holds risks, but stories that are written usually have great lore you can draw from and build upon.

It would certainly be easier to create your own world and build it out from there. Look at Ryzom. They created an entire world and history and lore, and it is a roleplaying paradise. However, it can be hard to become invested in your character if you are an actual roleplayer if the world and lore is not as well done as Ryzom. Writing your own lore is hard, but working with existing lore without ruining it is just as hard if not harder.

Everything that makes a game world playing is in the implementation.

That said, I would love to play a channeller in WoT. And I would love to play a planeswalker too.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

I wouldn't mind seeing:

Battletech/Mechwarrior MMO

Hitchhiker's Guide

Gor

Tron

Forgotten Realms

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Xondar123
    I would absolutely love to see a Star Trek MMORPG. Done right this IP could really shine and create a very immersive experience I think.

There is one already, and because of it we likely will not see another. But it, sadly, like Middle Earth and D&D, is utterly terrible and not worth playing. If you have not played it, do not play it. You will only cry and wail in misery if you have any love for Trek going in.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• kikan1kikan1 Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Wheel of Time.

The Elder Scrolls.

The word and the Void.

Firefly.

There is a MMO being released called Firefly. Its a shooter and its dev team has people from Blizzard, NC Soft and another company i do not remember. Graphics are sort of like Borderlands. 

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I'd love to see an MMO based on Misty Lackey's Valdemar.  The only problem would be - everyone would want to be a Herald-Mage :D! - But still...Gryphon-mages, etc.  It's a wonderful world, surprised it hasn't been made into an MMO already)

E.E.Doc. Smith's Lensman

Heinlan's Methuselah

An actual REAL Star Trek MMO - including DS9 and Voyager

A true graphical representation of the HYW (man - I LOVED that game starting on GEnie, through to Ci$ and then for a while on the web)

Katherine Kurtz's Dernyi

I could go on, and on, and . . .

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by kikan1

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Wheel of Time.

The Elder Scrolls.

The word and the Void.

Firefly.

There is a MMO being released called Firefly. Its a shooter and its dev team has people from Blizzard, NC Soft and another company i do not remember. Graphics are sort of like Borderlands. 

That's FireFall m8 .... very good looking and promising game btw :)

And yeah .... i'm a sucker for FireFly too ... if it's designed my way ;)

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

Any IP would be great but where the ball falls is the dev teams that make it.

I would like a good dev team to make a good game for once.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Shadowrun RPG as an MMO, Cyberpunk Elves, Dwarves and lots of nasty technoghouls in a futuristic magical setting. 

World of Cyberpunkcraft, I would so be there. Like, real life would cease, that's how much I'd be there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Xondar123

I agree.

If you could actually travel the Star Trek world.

Had to get a guild together to be able to afford a smaller Starship and travel the Federation.

Need an alliance of hundreds of players to get a real Starfleet Starship together, leave the Federation and explore "unknown" Territory for the really good stuff.

The current Star Trek MMO though makes everybody a captain. Meh. That doesnt sound like a MMO to me.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

What about a modern military mmorpg with a sci fi twist?  Star Craft mmo?