Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 3D Animated Object

rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

I started using 3ds Max recently, for those who don't know, it's an animation program used in movies such as The Matrix Reloaded, Sin City, Ghost in the Shell 2 and plenty others. Also, 80% of all video games are made on it so I thought I would try it out.

This is my first real object I tried to make, i'll be working scene of probably a room of some sort. For now, here's a chair I made. Don't mind the "glossy-ness", but If you can find other problems with the object i'd like to know.

Just to make this clear... imageI USED A TUTORIAL TO MAKE THIS

You can view the tutorial here

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

Comments

• ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

Thats pretty good, did you start from scratch?

http://www.OriginNow.com
    Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Yep, started making the wheels from a single sphere and then went from there.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

For help, tips, feedback, etc check out the 3d section at www.cgtalk.com

Theres some INCREDIBLE 3D art there. Good site for newbs and pros.

Oh, nice job by the way for your first object, i havent had the time recently to try out 3DMax but im going to try over the summer. I wouldnt go so far as to say 3DMax is used in 80% of video games, etc, Maya also gets a lot of love ::::39::

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

i would like to know how much weight in both pounds and metric please.

also how far does it go up and down to adjust for height???

anyway that all basically means thats really good 3d, but i do expect that infoimageimage

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

That looks like a new toy that I want to play with- 3DS Max. I started 3D art in the 9th grade, when 3D art programs' limits were cubes and spheres. I could have a lot of fun with that program. How much did it cost you...or did you rifle it?

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Wow, pretty cool chair... What did you use to actually "learn" 3DS Max? I have the app, but I get lost in it REALLY easily.

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Wow nice job. With my limited intellectual capacity I wont even dare to start up 3D Max ^^

• DuckyDucky Member Posts: 413
    Wow.

• ZimokZimok Member Posts: 266

HEY DUDE!! NICE JOB COPYING THE TUTORIAL AND ACTING LIKE YOU MADE IT FROM SCRATCH!!! GOOD JOB MAN YOUR COOOL!

It's not hard to make something when there is a step by step tutorial...

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/hugechair/chair1_01.asp

Next time, give the real creator some credit.

---------------------------------
    Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

No need to jump all over him...he's obviously new to the art, and hasn't learned the etiquette involved.

But yea, you need to include something giving the creator of the tutorial credit - it's just good form. There's no shame in using a tutorial, not in the least. 3d Studio is a complicated program, you have to learn from someone.

And yea, Maya gets used a lot more than you might think...

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

Originally posted by dekron

He is trying to learn you freakin idiot. Stop flaming and being a complete ass for no reason. That's what tutorials are for. To teach.

Yes I know this, but from what I read, he was acting like he designed/made it all from scratch. It was a step by step tutorial...

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

He is trying to learn you freakin idiot. Stop flaming and being a complete ass for no reason. That's what tutorials are for. To teach

Yes I know this, but from what I read, he was acting like he designed/made it all from scratch. It was a step by step tutorial...

EDIT: sorry about double post, hit the wrong button

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Zimok

He is trying to learn you freakin idiot. Stop flaming and being a complete ass for no reason. That's what tutorials are for. To teach

EDIT: sorry about double post, hit the wrong button

wow ur putting words in ur mouth, he never said he deisgned it. eh never said he made it all from scratch. and Acting is done through body gestures, and dialialogue u cant "act" online, its just you have an overactive imagination.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/hugechair/chair1_01.asp

Ahh cool.. at least this answers my question... Now to start up 3D Studio Max 7 and give it a whirl...

HEY DUDE!! NICE JOB COPYING THE TUTORIAL AND ACTING LIKE YOU MADE IT FROM SCRATCH!!! GOOD JOB MAN YOUR COOOL!It's not hard to make something when there is a step by step tutorial...
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/hugechair/chair1_01.aspNext time, give the real creator some credit.

Rathma's fun fact of the day:
    -------------------------------------
    make Audio pronunciation of "make" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mk)
    v. made, (md) mak·ing, makes
    v. tr.

* To bring into existence by shaping, modifying, or putting together material; construct: make a dress; made a stone wall.
    * To form by assembling individuals or constituents: make a quorum.
    ------------------------------------

I never said I designed it. Sorry if it sounds that way. But when you said "NICE JOB COPYING THE TUTORIAL AND ACTING LIKE YOU MADE IT FROM SCRATCH!!!" I'd have to correct you there. I did make it from scratch, I used all the tools in the program to make that chair, and used the tutorial as a guideline.

If the creator was so protective over what he made he wouldn't have designed a 15 page tutorial for it.

Hey rathma...
    I'm following that tutorial and I have to say, it's not that easy even with the tutorial that guy linked... I'm on page 1 and step 7 has me stumped. I have no clue how to do change the square hole into a round one. Did you have any other resources when going through this or have a background with any other 3D modeling software?

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    Nice chair, looks comfy image Zimok all i can say is LOL, that chair is not in the tutorial go back to torturing your hamster and try making your first instinct to NOT be a jackass, instead of your actual instinctimage Freaking know it allimage

Originally posted by Vampyr

wow ur putting words in ur mouth, he never said he deisgned it. eh never said he made it all from scratch. and Acting is done through body gestures, and dialialogue u cant "act" online, its just you have an overactive imagination.

AHAHAHAHA. I'm not putting words in my mouth. You can act with words(Acting - To play the part of; assume the dramatic role of). He said "I started with a sphere and went from there" which means "I made it from scratch".

Also, learn how to spell. Thanks.

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

Originally posted by rathma

If the creator was so protective over what he made he wouldn't have designed a 15 page tutorial for it.

I'm mainly saying you where leading everyone to beleive you made that all by yourself. I could care less if you said who made it, as long as you said "I used a tutorial" or something.

Zimok - PS - Emerald
    Zimok - SWG - Bloodfin

Originally posted by dsorrent
    Hey rathma...
    I'm following that tutorial and I have to say, it's not that easy even with the tutorial that guy linked... I'm on page 1 and step 7 has me stumped. I have no clue how to do change the square hole into a round one. Did you have any other resources when going through this or have a background with any other 3D modeling software?

It's going to get harder, english isn't his native language.

Anyways, once the sphere is selected, make sure it's converted to editable poly. You can do this by right clicking on the sphere's name in the modifier parameter and click "editable poly". Then click the "+" sign on the editable poly name, and click on vertex.

Now, instead of select, click the move button and then you go from there. Just start moving them with the X axis.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I started using 3ds Max recently, for those who don't know, it's an animation program used in movies such as The Matrix Reloaded, Sin City, Ghost in the Shell 2 and plenty others. Also, 80% of all video games are made on it so I thought I would try it out. This is my first real object I tried to make, i'll be working scene of probably a room of some sort. For now, here's a chair I made. Don't mind the "glossy-ness", but If you can find other problems with the object i'd like to know. You can learn how to make it here image

RRrrr matey... me be think'en ye's a pirate! Shiver me' timbers! If you made that... nice work... last time i tried making anything is 3dstudio was a mace... that was a cylinder and a sphere put together...

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Hey rath, how much was 3d Max?

It's going to get harder, english isn't his native language. Anyways, once the sphere is selected, make sure it's converted to editable poly. You can do this by right clicking on the sphere's name in the modifier parameter and click "editable poly". Then click the "+" sign on the editable poly name, and click on vertex. Now, instead of select, click the move button and then you go from there. Just start moving them with the X axis.

Ahh great! Thanks so much!

Editted for formatting..

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Hey rath, how much was 3d Max?

Last i knew it costs $3,300.00 US for a single license.

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Originally posted by sidebuster

Last i knew it costs $3,300.00 US for a single license.

That everyone...Is what causes pirating of software!image

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."