Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im pretty sure this will kill wow.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by mmonooblet

<>

Actually....

we WERE talking about CLONES 

NOT identical twins.

But because the person discussing this could not ARGUE the identical nature of CLONES.....they changed the subject.

clones develop the same way as identical twins.  clones do not have the same fingerprints and if raised in different environments will be different.

You really need to try harder if you ever expect to win an argument.

You really need to learn how to read Webster's.

You're obviously arguing just for the sake of arguing, because to say that people playing WoW would LEAVE WoW for a game exactly LIKE WoW....is ignorant.

You are just overemphasizing the word "clone" to attempt to make others look incoherent. 

WoW clone does not mean an exact copy of the game anymore. It is used to refer to a game that used many of WoW's features and playstyles. Times change, and now the generally accepted term "WoW Clone" means something other than an exact copy. For whatever reason, you refuse to see this.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Rynne

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by dontadow

The only way GW2 kills wow is if it is a wow clone, which it doesn't look like. Truthfully I hope it doesn't kill wow.  I hope it doesnt have 7million half hearted gamers.  I'd rather have 500k to 1 million hard core players who can add to an emersive environment. 

This is an illogical statement, I'm sorry.

Why would a WoW player leave WoW to play a WoW CLONE?  Everyone knows that the original is always the best at being...itself.  Someone that would leave WoW to play a CLONE of WoW....must just hate....I don't know....Blizzard??  It really makes no sense to do that.  A WoW clone will never "kill WoW."

Who cares if ANYTHING kills WoW any way???  I don't GET all the "WoW killer" stuff, really.  Play what you love...love what you play....and give everyone else the freedom to do the same.....

It's so freakin' SIMPLE.

This is an illogical statement, I'm sorry.

If that were true, EQ would be the powerhouse, not WoW. The Model T would be the best car. The ONLY thing this MIGHT be true for is the wheel. Although, a tire is certainly better for traveling than a wooden spoked wheel.

You obviously, along with the other poster, do not know the meaning of the word : CLONE.

Like many words, the word clone is misused by gamers ALL the time.

Clone doesn't necessarily mean worse. You fail to realise that.

No....as I keep saying....CLONE means identical, so no....it couldn't be worse, OR better.....

http://techie-buzz.com/softwares/amsn-an-msn-messenger-clone-that-is-better-than-the-original.html

To start with, aMSN is an exact clone of MSN Messenger offering the same functionality and even the same look and feel. It lets you chat, transfer files, arrange contacts in groups, save chat logs, set automated away messages, do conferencing, use web cam and almost all the other good stuff that the original MSN Messenger allows you to. However, there are many features that make this clone almost better than the original MSN:

• Multi OS Support. Works with Windows, Mac OS, Linux and even Nokia N900.

• Multi language support: currently in over 40 languages.

• Multi-account sign in.

• Over 25 different skins to choose from.

• Much lighter and quicker to install than MSN.

• Lots of third-party plug-ins to customize the functionality.

• Time stamping and tabbed chat windows.

• Dual display pictures.

• You can create your own plug-in.

EDIT: Wanna take it by definition? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_clone

A video game clone is a video game or game series which is very similar to or heavily inspired by a previous popular game or game series. Some video game genres are founded by such archetypal games that all subsequent similar games are thought of as derivatives.

The term is sometimes derogatory, implying a lack of originality, however clones can be anything from a pure "ripoff", to a legitimate derivative or improvement on the original or even a homage.

Was that enough to shut your little mouth?

• mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by colddog04

<>

Actually....

we WERE talking about CLONES 

NOT identical twins.

But because the person discussing this could not ARGUE the identical nature of CLONES.....they changed the subject.

clones develop the same way as identical twins.  clones do not have the same fingerprints and if raised in different environments will be different.

You really need to try harder if you ever expect to win an argument.

You really need to learn how to read Webster's.

You're obviously arguing just for the sake of arguing, because to say that people playing WoW would LEAVE WoW for a game exactly LIKE WoW....is ignorant.

You are just overemphasizing the word "clone" to attempt to make others look incoherent. 

WoW clone does not mean an exact copy of the game anymore. It is used to refer to a game that used many of WoW's features and playstyles. Times change, and now the generally accepted term "WoW Clone" means something other than an exact copy. For whatever reason, you refuse to see this.

He/She see's it, but obviously enjoys argueing for the sake of arguing.... and then accusing others of doing the same thing.  He/she is quite clever, don't you think?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I don't even PLAY WoW and even I am sick of WoW haters in every goddamn thread.

Okay....identical twins and clones and genomes....what the fuck EVER.  If someone playing WoW is going to LEAVE WoW for a game JUST LIKE WoW....then in MY OPINION (isn't that what all forums are LOADED with...opinions), they're an IDIOT.

Why would you leave a game to play another game JUST LIKE IT?  Still....no one has answered that, except to say "oh the other game would have to be a clone...but not identical" thereby making the entire statement non-sensical.

*Incidentally....I don't think GW2 is going to at ALL be a "WoW clone."

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    OP I could agree with you, but I'm pretty sure we'd both be wrong.

I believe that the only thing that will kill WoW is Blizzard.

GW2 isn't anything like GW2, and it's definitely not anything like WoW. I don't think GW2 needs to go for the WoW subscription players, I think they need to go to the F2P gamers such as PWI, EQII, LOTRO, DDO, etc. If A-net does F2P better than the rest, and I believe they will, then it's these games players that they need to target.

Let the WoW and other P2P gamers continue subscribing to WoW/their game of choice, they don't need to drop their subscription to pick up GW2 as a F2P secondary MMO, and I believe many will play their current P2P game alongside GW2.

Okay....identical twins and clones and genomes....what the fuck EVER.  If someone playing WoW is going to LEAVE WoW for a game JUST LIKE WoW....then in MY OPINION (isn't that what all forums are LOADED with...opinions), they're an IDIOT.

Why would you leave a game to play another game JUST LIKE IT?  Still....no one has answered that, except to say "oh the other game would have to be a clone...but not identical" thereby making the entire statement non-sensical.

Can you fucking see my point 2 posts above? You will realise why then.

Can you fucking see my point 2 posts above? You will realise why then.

Well I will say your post made more sense to me that the others by Chip and Dale.  However,  NO...I won't "shut my little mouth," you condescending little nerd.

If you insist on being completely stupid when it comes to the term "clone" in this context, then no answer will satisfy you.

If you insist on being completely stupid when it comes to the term "clone" in this context, then no answer will satisfy you.

Actually, Rynne's answer was good....aside from him acting like a jackass at the end.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

GW2 is buy to play not free to play. The entire world is available to anyone who buys GW2. They make up for no subscription by selling extra bank slots and cosmetic stuff which is not required to play.

Free to play tends to gimp their game so after a certain amount of play you will desperately need or want to pay for access to parts of the game you were denied.

Archlinux ftw

Actually, Rynne's answer was good....aside from him acting like a jackass at the end.

Hey, I just did it to fit with my avatarimage

Well at least you made SENSE and gave logical examples that made me SEE your point, instead of just arguing modern day "gamer semantics" versus what I was taught in school 30 years ago.  Thank you for teaching an "old woman" with only a SLIGHT stab at me in the end.  It's better treatment than what you get in WoW at least....

Well at least you made SENSE and gave logical examples that made me SEE your point, instead of just arguing modern day "gamer semantics" versus what I was taught in school 30 years ago.  Thank you for teaching an "old woman" with only a SLIGHT stab at me in the end.  It's better treatment than what you get in WoW at least....

Let me get this straight here... are you actually claiming that you did not know what was meant by the term "wow clone"?  Did you REALLY think that they were talking about an absolute, exact, 1 for 1, copy?

Let me get this straight here... are you actually claiming that you did not know what was meant by the term "wow clone"?  Did you REALLY think that they were talking about an absolute, exact, 1 for 1, copy?

Yes, I really DID think that what you meant....was a game with identical game play, identical UI, identical....you know....CLONED versions of everything.  To ME....that's what "clone" means.  I guess I'm just really getting OLD.

I guess I've never played a WoW clone....  /shrug

Edit: Until this thread, I've never USED the term "WoW clone," even though I have seen it.  I always thought it meant a game JUST LIKE WoW...when I saw it before.

I think the last thing I heard referred to as " a WoW clone " was Alganon....and I played in the beta, and uhm....the UI was pretty much copied, but the game itself....I couldn't IMAGINE why anyone would leave WoW to play that!  So uhm....the whole "WoW clone" thing....has never made much sense to me.

• vackvack Member Posts: 56

I'm sure someone in this thread echoed these words, but anywho.........I wish these new games coming out would stop trying to "Kill WoW" and concentrate on making a good game.  I don't want to kill WoW.  WoW is responsible for expanding the MMO genre, I'll bet Ten Fold at least. 

An obscure Farmer in Iowa by the name of Ray Kinsella, knows the deal............If you build it, they will come!

Vack
    FF XIV - the single worse game to cross my hard drive, ever.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Artiex

Honestly how can one resist a game with such lush graphics and vibrant gameplay?

You just described Aion and AoC and WoW is still standing. I hope GW2 is a success, but I am afraid a lot of folks are going to be deflated after a while playing it...just like all the other times before. Blizzard is the only one that has the capability of killing Wow.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by vack

I'm sure someone in this thread echoed these words, but anywho.........I wish these new games coming out would stop trying to "Kill WoW" and concentrate on making a good game.  I don't want to kill WoW.  WoW is responsible for expanding the MMO genre, I'll bet Ten Fold at least. 

An obscure Farmer in Iowa by the name of Ray Kinsella, knows the deal............If you build it, they will come!

Basically what Vack said. Does it really matter if something "kills WoW?" Why is it important in any way if something kills WoW? Playing WoW is a choice in a free market system. If you think GW2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and I admit that I think it looks like a great game) and you want all your friends to play, just ask them! If they play WoW, fine. They will either play GW2, or they won't. But we don't NEED a "WoW killer." WoW will not affect other games' success on the market, it just is what it is. Ignore WoW and just enjoy what looks like a great new generation of games (GW2, Rift, 38 Studios game, etc.) At least, that's my opinion...

Originally posted by lancelot76

Basically what Vack said. Does it really matter if something "kills WoW?" Why is it important in any way if something kills WoW? Playing WoW is a choice in a free market system. If you think GW2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and I admit that I think it looks like a great game) and you want all your friends to play, just ask them! If they play WoW, fine. They will either play GW2, or they won't. But we don't NEED a "WoW killer." WoW will not affect other games' success on the market, it just is what it is. Ignore WoW and just enjoy what looks like a great new generation of games (GW2, Rift, 38 Studios game, etc.) At least, that's my opinion...

Man if I had a dollar for EVERY time I have said something similar to what you just said.  Why are gamers LIKE this?  Is it because they're MOSTLY male??  I mean WTF is the deal with having to "kill one thing off" to like another?  Why the hell can't everyone just play what they like and be fucking happy????

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

While some devs get caught up in the hype and make foolish statements comparing there game to WOW I don't think most devs really go into the market with the idea of taking on or out WOW.  Of course every dev wishes they could count anywhere near five million let alone eleven million a month but at this point enough games have been released and changed that devs have to know that it's a futile goal to say the least.

I don't know if I'd say WOW expanded the genre either unless if by expanding the genre you mean brought in a lot of gamers that would never have played an mmo, none of WOW's features are very original and from some thought even the lore was originally created due to Warhammer, but what Blizzard has done with WOW (which surprisingly hasn't caught on with most devs) is put together a very accessible product (plays on anything)  that looks marginally good for that fact, that is easy to get into.

It seems maybe the example I credit WOW with setting may finally begin to be followed by games like FFIV (even with a number of people complaining),GW2 and TOR in that they may be releasing highly polished in comparison to just about everything released since WOW.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ototo147ototo147 Member UncommonPosts: 22

-snip-

Yes, I really DID think that what you meant....was a game with identical game play, identical UI, identical....you know....CLONED versions of everything.  To ME....that's what "clone" means.  I guess I'm just really getting OLD.

I guess I've never played a WoW clone....  /shrug

Edit: Until this thread, I've never USED the term "WoW clone," even though I have seen it.  I always thought it meant a game JUST LIKE WoW...when I saw it before.

*Comes out of lurker mode*

Nah, I have to agree with you as well. I always despised the term and would never use it either, interpreting it as an "exact copy." But just as the other posters pointed it, it is not necessary for it to be exact. "Very similar," at least used colloquially, works.

But yeah, when I think of cloning, I think of Biology, and taking exact ( which is where I get my definition from ) copies of DNA and using this to grow another organism, but of course this can result in differences in cloned individuals as we are not entirely shaped by our DNA. Same for identical twins - identical meaning they have identical DNA, not identical physical properties.

Looks like I have to adjust my understanding of the word "clone" now. You learn something everday! :-)

*Goes back into lurker mode*

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by jaxsundane

While some devs get caught up in the hype and make foolish statements comparing there game to WOW I don't think most devs really go into the market with the idea of taking on or out WOW.  Of course every dev wishes they could count anywhere near five million let alone eleven million a month but at this point enough games have been released and changed that devs have to know that it's a futile goal to say the least.

I don't know if I'd say WOW expanded the genre either unless if by expanding the genre you mean brought in a lot of gamers that would never have played an mmo, none of WOW's features are very original and from some thought even the lore was originally created due to Warhammer, but what Blizzard has done with WOW (which surprisingly hasn't caught on with most devs) is put together a very accessible product (plays on anything)  that looks marginally good for that fact, that is easy to get into.

It seems maybe the example I credit WOW with setting may finally begin to be followed by games like FFIV (even with a number of people complaining),GW2 and TOR in that they may be releasing highly polished in comparison to just about everything released since WOW.

I agree.  Stop trying to be better than WoW and just put out a polished game that people want to play, not a pay to play Beta like what happens so often.  I wish WoW-killer and WoW-clone would never be used again, they have no real meaning.  There are a couple of games I am waiting for, all I hope is that they are worth paying money to play, I could not care less if they are "better" than WoW(though I sure hope the graphics are ).

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by jaxsundane

I'll agree with you. It's almost impossible to go wrong with all these promising titles releasing next year. Well, yeah, maybe WAR, AoC, Aion and a few others didn't do too well at least in their launch which leads me to believe most developers got the hang of it and the genre is starting to awaken. Starting with 2011 there are great years to come for the genre.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I doubt this will kill wow, what it looks like to me is they are refining innovations that other games have made. like WAR's public quest, or WOW's dungeon finder system, (I think that is what helped fuel the idea for the servers fighting against each other thing), and will make something great with refining those innovations, and when it proves to be successful, WOW will refine what arena net has done, and integrate it into their product, making it even more of a behemoth.

Is it because they are lazy? no

Is it becasue they are stupid? no

Its because thats how this industry works, true innovation rarely happens, and when it does, its almost never pulled off perfectly (or even correctly), but other companies take those ideas and run with them, and use them to make better products for us to enjoy. Its not wrong, the ideas they are doing are not patented, how do you think the mmo industry would be right now if the first person to come up with the idea of the quest in an mmo made it so no other game could use it?

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

i'll say it again...the only thing that will kill WOW is WOW itself (or time). I don't forsee WOW being killed by any new games coming out. 

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

Seriously now, as much as many of us would like to see WoW dethroned, it is not going to happen. Neither SWTOR or GW2 is going to do it. Both are on tap to be good, successful games but I am not sure if any MMORPG will ever reach the number of subscribers like WoW has/did.