Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness MMO... What clan will you play?

Comments

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by jrs77

Let's just hope that you're not forced to join a premade (NPC)clan and are able to create a (player)clan on your own in the first place.

So we can get nipple killers clan,  SUper Darkness extreme crazy slaughterfest of Pawnage clan.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Fusion

"Bonegnawers" of the werewolves, since it's "World of Darkness" and not "Vampire the masquerade", i'd assume it has all the species/sects/pacts including the Magi & Witch Hunters :)

At this point, it appears to be WoD:VtM...

...though it would be fun to be a Redcap, Pooka, or Satry, lol - up that ESRB rating a bit, heh.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by Fusion

"Bonegnawers" of the werewolves, since it's "World of Darkness" and not "Vampire the masquerade", i'd assume it has all the species/sects/pacts including the Magi & Witch Hunters :)

At this point, it appears to be WoD:VtM...

...though it would be fun to be a Redcap, Pooka, or Satry, lol - up that ESRB rating a bit, heh.

There's been mention that they want to stay true to the adult content of the game.

http://jachilli.squarespace.com/journal/2010/9/27/after-the-grand-masquerade.html

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

The character-creation should only be about looks and attributes. All the rest should be 100% free to choose (skills, abilities, etc), including choosing to form a clan on my own instead of joining one of the clans given by the lore.

I don't wanna roleplay a Malkavian or Gangrel etc. I want the ability to roleplay something I've come up with myself and choose enemies and foes of my newly created clan myself aswell.

UNfortunatly, even if the Devs wanted to have this they couldnt. They are bound by the lease of the IP. There cannot be major alterations to the mythos already established (new clans of vamps, etc). White wolf could nix anything like that.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Czzarre

The character-creation should only be about looks and attributes. All the rest should be 100% free to choose (skills, abilities, etc), including choosing to form a clan on my own instead of joining one of the clans given by the lore.

I don't wanna roleplay a Malkavian or Gangrel etc. I want the ability to roleplay something I've come up with myself and choose enemies and foes of my newly created clan myself aswell.

UNfortunatly, even if the Devs wanted to have this they couldnt. They are bound by the lease of the IP. There cannot be major alterations to the mythos already established (new clans of vamps, etc). White wolf could nix anything like that.

Umm, but White Wolf merged with CCP being the dominating partner and it's technically CCP NA/White Wolf...  I don't see there being any leasing of the IP...

Originally posted by Czzarre

You do realize that CCP bought WW, right?

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I personaly dont get why they are basing it off Vampire the masqurade when vampire the Requiem is the superior product.

Requiem also dose away with the hole Kane mythos and Clan wars and the bloody Camarilla vs Sabbath. Convetion of Thorns never happend.

Covenents and blood lines are also mush cooler then the static camarilla/sabbath. People can work with one another across the covenents and clan plays a mush lesser roll in the Newer setting. I personaly dont get that they dont do the Requiem and are sticking with the outdated Masqurade that suck donkey balls in comparision.

Take the hole generation thing, are we going to have to comit diablerie on one another to gain more power, killing one another for power... the blood potency thing works mush better in an Online setting....

I just dont understand it to be honest who the Fuck would chose Masqurade over Requiem

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Vampire

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

So if I'm reading the general jist of this thread mroe peopel here want to paly eve online with a horror skin over the top of it and not a World of Darkness RPG?

Should be interesting to see which direction CCP actualyl takes it.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Followers of Set! Or were they eredicated in Requiem?

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Zlayer77

I personaly dont get why they are basing it off Vampire the masqurade when vampire the Requiem is the superior product.

Requiem also dose away with the hole cane mythos and Clan wars and the bloody Camarilla vs Sabbath. Convetion of Thorns never happend.

Covenents and blood lines are also mush cooler then the static camarilla/sabbath. People can work with one another across the covenents and clan plays a mush lesser roll in the Never setting I personaly dont get that they dont do the Requiem and are sticking with the outdated Masqurade that suck donkey balls in comparision.

Take the hole generation thing, are we going to have to Diabolize one another to go lover, killinging one another for power... the blood potency thing works mush better in a Online setting....

I just dont understand it to be honest who the Fuck would chose Masqurade over Requiem

In reading about Requiem, it appears it would be much better suited to being a WoW-clone.

Masquerade on the other hand, fits what CCP does more.

Requiem also dose away with the hole cane mythos and Clan wars and the bloody Camarilla vs Sabbath. Convetion of Thorns never happend.

Covenents and blood lines are also mush cooler then the static camarilla/sabbath. People can work with one another across the covenents and clan plays a mush lesser roll in the Never setting I personaly dont get that they dont do the Requiem and are sticking with the outdated Masqurade that suck donkey balls in comparision.

Take the hole generation thing, are we going to have to Diabolize one another to go lover, killinging one another for power... the blood potency thing works mush better in a Online setting....

In reading about Requiem, it appears it would be much better suited to being a WoW-clone.

LoL I haven been playing the RPG game since the 90s... its the other way around.... Masqurade has a lot of meta plot and TWO defined SIDES that go up against one another one being SABBATH The other being the Camarilla.

Back story in the Masqurade is this.... During the late middle ages, young vampires get fed up being the pwans of thier sires and elders who keep pushing them around etc. They revolt this comes to be known as the ANARCH revolt.. they find a few Antidiluvians(ancient vampires who form the clans) and take them out. This gets all the older vampires scared so they conven outside of London around the 1500s. But not everyone is happy with a truce some younger vampires feel they have the  right to go thier own way! so they storm out kill a bunch of people and later form what is called the SABBATH. Those who remain form the Camarilla that are like a safeguard for keeping the status que. I for one feel the Camarilla is the more evil of the two organizations.

But there are TWO sides vs one another, just like WOW

then you have the KANE mythos that tells us that Kane the orginal Vampire NUMBER 1 will wake up and eat all his childerean come judgment day. In his wake will also all the other elders wake up and start eating thier CHilder....

In Requiem all this is GONE. Its a mush more free game world where people can switch sides, no more meddling elders who controll everything from thier coffins and in submarines on the bottom of the ocean. Playing with humans as puppets and other vampires aswell. NOW WE have the FOG of AGES so people forget things, old memories get mixed up and we dont have 10.000 year old vampires who are SUPER BADASE mindcontroling the hole world. URSHULGI wakes up and takes away the Tremere Curse on the assimites with but a wave of his hand comes to mind. RPGing in this setting SUCKED and so did most of the Masqurade period. Compared to the mush more openly feel of Requiem that actually is mush more like EVE online. Im guessing CCP might have something to do with this as they bought White wolf...

But long story short MASQURADE ESY WOW clone, REQUIEM mush more like EVE and mush better for a sandbox MMO.... where you as a player are in controll.

Originally posted by Thillian

Followers of Set! Or were they eredicated in Requiem?

Followers of set is a shadow cult in Requiem they follow the god Thyphon set and bring chaos to the world, any vampire cna belong to thier ranks, but some blood lines are more conected to them then others and Mekhet is thier primary vampire Clan.. but as I said before this actually makes for mush better gameplay as you are more free as a player if you would like to become a member.

The old Followers of set where a bit unbalanced and just plain wierd it works mush better now that they are a fanatic shadow cult who preform dark rites in the darkness.... and any vampire might join if he share thier views...

Originally posted by TheHatter

Does it matter?

I hope it doesn't matter in the end product. I don't know anything about WoD or Vampire the Masquerade. But, I hope CCP builds the game where it doesn't really matter in the end, just like they did with EVE. 

Clans matter in V:tM unlike the bloodlines in EVE.

Yes forcing us into premade Oppinions of one another.... Lasombra are primarly in Sabbath and Ventrue are in the Camarilla for example

In requiem on the other hand Clans mather nothing.  They just have diffrent  weaknesses, and you as a player are free to take your charecter  to any bloodline(even change it over time)  or covenent( you can switch covenents also) you want and you can still hang out with your other friends that have chosen another clan and another covenent...

Point Being Requiem is a superior product vs THE Masqurade who is in real danger of becoming another TWO fraction game that we have seen just about enough of in the MMO market....for the past 6 years

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

That's just the setting for the tabletop game, if you want to write something completely original, fine, go do it and throw it out there; but it won't be Vampire: the Masquerade, because that has been written and defined with these rules.

Vampires belong to a clan in that setting, period.

Please don't be delusional, you can only do what the game makers allow you to do in any game, your personal fantasies and dreams are not game content and the only one ruled by them is yourself (if you so choose).

World of Darkness is only based upon the lore of VtM, it's not going to be VtM Online with all the rulesets of the original.

CCP is all about sandbox and freedom to allow players to write their own stories instead of following prescripted lore.

This game will apparently be based on V:tM so moot point.

CCP couldn't care less if you write your own stories, they are about creating an economic and space warfare simulation game in EVE and we don't know anything about their direction with this except for the IP and that it will probably be a simulation once again.

Whether or not you write your own stories is irrelevant, developers can not plan for your stories. Whatever you write, it will have nada, njet, zero effect on the game and the content that is in it.

If you can dream up that you're doing something ingame which you're actually not doing at all, I'm sure you can also forget about the lore without expecting the IP be ruined for your pleasure.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

LoL I haven been playing the RPG game since the 90s... its the other way around.... Masqurade has a lot of meta plot and TWO defined SIDES that go up against one another one being SABBATH The other being the Camarilla.

Back story in the Masqurade is this.... During the late middle ages, young vampires get fed up being the pwans of thier sires and elders who keep pushing them around etc. They revolt this comes to be known as the ANARCH revolt.. they find a few Antidiluvians(ancient vampires who form the clans) and take them out. This gets all the older vampires scared so they conven outside of London around the 1500s. But not everyone is happy with a truce some younger vampires feel they have the  right to go thier own way! so they storm out kill a bunch of people and later form what is called the SABBATH. Those who remain form the Camarilla that are like a safeguard for keeping the status que. I for one feel the Camarilla is the more evil of the two organizations.

then you have the KANE mythos that tells us that Kane the orginal Vampire NUMBER 1 will wake up and eat all his childerean come judgment day. In his wake will also all the other elders wake up and start eating thier CHilder....

In Requiem all this is GONE. Its a mush more free game world where people can switch sides, no more meddling elders who controll everything from thier coffins and in submarines on the bottom of the ocean. Playing with humans as puppets and other vampires aswell. NOW WE have the FOG of AGES so people forget things, old memories get mixed up and we dont have 10.000 year old vampires who are SUPER BADASE mindcontroling the hole world. URSHULGI wakes up and takes away the Tremere Curse on the assimites with but a wave of his hand comes to mind. RPGing in this setting SUCKED and so did most of the Masqurade period. Compared to the mush more openly feel of Requiem that actually is mush more like EVE online. Im guessing CCP might have something to do with this as they bought White wolf...

But long story short MASQURADE ESY WOW clone, REQUIEM mush more like EVE and mush better for a sandbox MMO.... where you as a player are in controll.

Actually, that just reinforces the image of Requiem as a WoW-clone.

EVE is a game of power.  Political maneuvering.  While there are various player corporations that rule null-sec... high-sec is run by the nations.

You are entirely dismissive of the exploration of character in V:tM - attempt to portray the politics in a simplistic manner - and that makes it hard to follow what you are trying to say.

You do realize that Requiem came out not long before WW put out the WoW:RPG...you know?  Just saying...

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

That's just the setting for the tabletop game, if you want to write something completely original, fine, go do it and throw it out there; but it won't be Vampire: the Masquerade, because that has been written and defined with these rules.

Please don't be delusional, you can only do what the game makers allow you to do in any game, your personal fantasies and dreams are not game content and the only one ruled by them is yourself (if you so choose).

World of Darkness is only based upon the lore of VtM, it's not going to be VtM Online with all the rulesets of the original.

CCP is all about sandbox and freedom to allow players to write their own stories instead of following prescripted lore.

CCP couldn't care less if you write your own stories, they are about creating an economic and space warfare simulation game in EVE and we don't know anything about their direction with this except for the IP and that it will probably be a simulation once again.

Whether or not you write your own stories is irrelevant, developers can not plan for your stories. Whatever you write, it will have nada, njet, zero effect on the game and the content that is in it.

If you can dream up that you're doing something ingame which you're actually not doing at all, I'm sure you can also forget about the lore without expecting the IP be ruined for your pleasure.

I gues you havent played EVE?

What most people want I think is a world, and tools to get buy in this world. We realy dont need quests, or mobs to kill, we need Recourses(blood, vitea is the going rate in Vampire) We need a place where these are a city for example.

Now we have this city and in 20 places we have Recourses that will help advance your charecter. Then we let in the players... And soon we will have debating, Sheeming and killing to get to those Recourses. WHOLA we have just made our own STORY.. one that might be that I trick you into an ambush and kill you but I pin the blame on JRs77... he gets callled to the prince and get a blood hunt on him... Evryone hunts him for a week killing him taking away his Haven ,and his assets... And  I just sit back with a smile on my face....

That Is how we play EVE my friend and I think that would work nicly in a World of darkenss setting also... but for the cluless Thempark goers this might seem alien and strange.....

Originally posted by TheHatter

Does it matter?

I hope it doesn't matter in the end product. I don't know anything about WoD or Vampire the Masquerade. But, I hope CCP builds the game where it doesn't really matter in the end, just like they did with EVE. 

Clans matter in V:tM unlike the bloodlines in EVE.

Yes forcing us into premade Oppinions of one another.... Lasombra are primarly in Sabbath and Ventrue are in the Camarilla for example

In requiem on the other hand Clans mather nothing.  They just have diffrent  weaknesses, and you as a player are free to take your charecter  to any bloodline(even change it over time)  or covenent( you can switch covenents also) you want and you can still hang out with your other friends that have chosen another clan and another covenent...

Point Being Requiem is a superior product vs THE Masqurade who is in real danger of becoming another TWO fraction game that we have seen just about enough of in the MMO market....for the past 6 years

V:tM was not two faction though.  It was not an overall strict adherence to just Cam or Sab either beyond it not simply being just a two faction game.  There were at least six sects.

Not sure why your history with the game was so dismal.

Then again, you continue to refer to the Sabbat as the Sabbath... which hardly makes sense of one claiming to have played the game since the early '90s...

• TralakTralak Member Posts: 78

there are far more than 2 sides im VTM.  Just take a look on Camarilla politics..... anarquists, tremere plots, what -to-do with Caitiffs(neofites abandoned by his genitor non-clans characters), ancient fights for feuds, leadership..  there are many sides..

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

I'm personally hoping for VtM:WoD not requiem. I didn't like requiem as I played VtM for years and requiem is a completely different game. Plus I played Malks almost exclusively and in requiem they have been religated to a minor bloodline of the Ventrue minus all of their lore and most important (and fun) discipline.

Clans in VtM are not really player associations, but more like race. A player may be able to make their own clan in CCPs new game but it would be similar to making their own bloodline in EVE. Or for a more extreme example, starting up a pharmaceutical company in real life; sure it's possible, but it wouldn't be very successful and it would be unlikely that anyone would care. Even if it was successful it would just get swallowed up by a larger established company.

The other option when playing VtM was to be a "Caitiff", or clanless vampire.  In VtM these were seen as a nuisance at best and a plague to be exterminated at worst.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

What most people want I think is a world, and tools to get buy in this world. We realy dont need quests, or mobs to kill, we need Recourses(blood, vitea is the going rate in Vampire) We need a place where these are a city for example.

Now we have this city and in 20 places we have Recourses that will help advance your charecter. Then we let in the players... And soon we will have debating, Sheeming and killing to get to those Recourses. WHOLA we have just made our own STORY.. one that might be that I trick you into an ambush and kill you but I pin the blame on JRs77... he gets callled to the prince and get a blood hunt on him... Evryone hunts him for a week killing him taking away his Haven ,and his assets... And  I just sit back with a smile on my face....

That Is how we play EVE my friend and I think that would work nicly in a World of darkenss setting also... but for the cluless Thempark goers this might seem alien and strange.....

Lol, I have played EVE since early 2005.

I played V:tM and other WoD games from '92 through '02.

Personally, I preferred Werewolf.  All those vampy kids were so effete.

You are a trip... you attempt to talk down to people with what appears to be no more than a 3rd grade education.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I did play EVE (for a while), what I experienced was a lot of battling, fiddling with resources, planning miles ahead and spreadsheets.

Roleplaying and 'writing your own stories'? Not so much. In fact the only story I spotted was a couple of pages of text on the main website.

Even if there was a thriving roleplaying community in EVE that I missed, this is irrelevant, this game is based on V:tM (which I for one enjoyed more than V:tR as I found the choices made more meaningful) and no matter what you say, writing your own storyline has no effect on the actual game and the content in it.

Therefore, it should not be used as an excuse to throw game content and meaningful choice out of the window, not to speak of messing with the IP.

I play sandbox once in a while and I roleplay once in a while, but you know why "cluless Thempark goers" avoid them like the plague? Because they lack content, because they're bad games with developers living off the dream to have players 'create their own content' while there is nothing to create content from (obviously).

Sandboxes need sand and preferably shapes and molds to be any good, that goes for games that strife to replicate them as well.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

I voted Malk, by the way.  Still have a Malk pin on my laptop bag... kind of funny trying not to explain the broken mirror.

Actually, that just reinforces the image of Requiem as a WoW-clone.

EVE is a game of power.  Political maneuvering.  While there are various player corporations that rule null-sec... high-sec is run by the nations.

You are entirely dismissive of the exploration of character in V:tM - attempt to portray the politics in a simplistic manner - and that makes it hard to follow what you are trying to say.

You do realize that Requiem came out not long before WW put out the WoW:RPG...you know?  Just saying...

OMG okey im swedish so I dont write that good in english and some points might be missed BUT.

Masqurade HAS TWO sides! one IS SABBATH they have x amount of Clans that suport them, Lasombra and tzimici being the strongest.. they have thier mayor goal to get ready to fight the antidiluvians(ancient vampires who will wake up and eat us all) you with me this far?? on the other side we have the Camarilla.. they fight for the status que. They want to keep younger vampires inline and they sheem endlessly among one another. These two organizasions do not get along period.. they fight and kill one another and every corner. If you belong to the Sabbath you will not be hanging out with Vampires from the camarilla and if you did and they cought you doing it you would be killed by your own Fraction.  So we have TWO static fractions going up against one another.

In the middle of this we have the unaligned vampires who belong to freaky clans like the Followers of set(egyptian), Ravnos(gypses) and Assamites(think Jihad arabians here)

Now if players come into this setting they will end up in one of the fractions. and two of them would be killing one another on site? what dose this sound like to you?

And vampire has nothing to do With other RPGS download a few books and read up please!!! the chans of vampire ending up as a WOW clone is slim to none. But it can end Up as a TWO fraction warfare MMO, like WOW, WAR etc are. This is not optimal and that is why Im personaly against Using the Masqurade as a base for the setting.

Also keeping true to the lore of Vampire you had generations, the lower the generation you are the less steps you are removed from Kane(the father of all vampires) so to become stronger you have to kill your elders... How is this going to be implemented into the game??

Requiem on the other hand has Fractions but they dont hate one another to death and there are more then two of them I think its about 4-5 covenents and you can quit them if you want.... not so in the masqurade setting. Also you dont have all this meta Plot with certain individuals being KEY figures in history. The game is mush more open Endend making for mush more creative freedom within its boundries.

Also the generation thing is gone in Requiem and replaced by blood potence that grow over time.. much more inline with how an mmo actually works.. you get better over time, training skills or doing levels etc.

Also you have alot of Clan things in masqurade witch in my oppinion makes them STATIC sterotypes, Bruhjas are quick to anger, Malkavians are mad, Lasombra are sheemers, Ventrue are power hungry etc etc etc.....

Requiem has from a roleplaying point of view a mush more open ended game feel where you AS a PLAYER are mush more in controll of what you want to do... And you have mush less meta plot, people are free to make there own judgment where vampires come from be it out of Christian mythology or Indian or musslime.... Masqurade is outdated its form the 90s and things have changed. Requiem has a mush more modern feel to it.

PS; Masqurade will be a two side affair, with Power playing NPC running the show. Requim would be a player controlled game as we would not have sides or Ancient NPC Charecters who call the shoots

My apologies on the third grade comment.  I'm still ticked off about the Steelers blowing that game against the Ravens and dealing with their idiotic fans.  Guess I should take a break from this site, because that kind of talk does not belong here.

Have fun, all...