Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

124678

Comments

  • demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

    Im not bothered by the sexuality of it. Even if they put nothingness under her skirt, I wouldn't care. The fact that iv just seen the worst running animation I have ever seen in a 3d world however, bothers me.

  • PalingerPalinger Member Posts: 21

    Originally posted by Dubhlaith

     




    Originally posted by Palinger





    Originally posted by Valkyrie





    Originally posted by theinvader

    I just want to say I really love the combat mechanics and graphical style that the TERA developers have going on. But when I watched this gameplay demo I was utterly disgusted:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdsHCGoZlk

    I'm talking about what he says during the first 30 seconds of the video. The video game industry really needs to start moving away from this kind of behaviour if it wants to be more widely accepted (and I dunno about you, but I do want that). It's both immuature and mysoginistic and I find it to be disgraceful.

    Tell me I'm not the only one.






    I agree. I am a grown mature woman and I play female chars. I saw the same thing in Lineage 2 and said "Ok, that is so ridiculous ... let's skip this". That stupid hentai anime "Yay I can see her pants when she bends down" is making the developers deciding to do this look ... childish and laughable.

    And watch that ridiculous hip swaying when she does her spell. Are you kidding me? Can I have a grown-up version instead of this prepubertarian giddy thing?






     I agree with you on this. It definitely doesn't look good to typical insecure women.



     

     

    Again, assuming she is insecure because she finds this offensive. That is part of the problem.

     

    Paterah: I am not saying all men who game are like that, but the ones that gravitate to that sort of sexist objectification of women are. I am not sure why saying that is the mark of a troll, because it has been proved out time and again both with professional studies and my own experience. The most striking example so far are the people in AOC. Revolting. Which is a shame, because I love Conan.

    I am not trolling, or at least not trying to. I am trying to educate young men on this idea. My mother and her mother worked hard to move society away from this. Look at those GW2 characters. Women can be gorgeous without being ONLY sex objects. I can be a sex object. Sometimes that is what I go for, but I do not run around TRYING to show people my undergarments. That is uncouth.

    As for my sexual contact, you are assuming a woman that games does not have a sex life? That is a pretty broad generalisation, do you not agree? That would be if I had said all men who game are like this subset that want to see the panties. I am not going to go out of my way to prove this out for you, and I doubt you will believe me anyway, with this attitude, but I know it for truth and I think it you can accept it, it will help you. I am an attractive twenty-something. I am not a supermodel, but if I went to a disco, I could leave with a handsome man. Not least because I am a good dancer as well as a good PvPer.



    Finally, this is not art style. I love the asian art style, and I do not mind their tall, thin female characters who wear short skirts. I am tall and thin and I wear short skirts. But I do not let everyone see my business, you understand. I can be attractive without showing off all the goods. It is something called decorum. I do not need to log in and see a ridiculous man (of course, this is much more rare, because men are usually the ones designing things) in a banana hammock. I get my sexual gratification in the real world, and therefore I have no need for pixels.

    If you want this sort of thing, they make porn for it. Some of it is pretty good. It does not need to be in the game where it breaks my immersion by its misogyny and pure ridiculousness.

     You are assuming I'm the other guy, but I'm not. I'll try to reply to your comment nicely anyway:

    If you find it bad then that's fine it is your opinion, but if you find it offensive and you think that it is just showing off the woman as a sex toy ASSUMING the said character was a human, which is not, it was a castanica female, which means you find offensive how castanica female animations look in game, then it is that, insecureness. The difference between "not liking" and "finding offensive" is very big.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogeJzEZIn0  Here is how human females look in game, still not the best, but much better than the castanica female.

    Secondly, I'm not saying female gamers don't have a sexual life, but if a woman lurks gaming forums and goes on to say such troll comments as: "If you like how this game looks then you are nothing but a boy that has never been laid in his life" and "they made this decision to attract horny adolescent boys that have never seen lady parts in real life" then it really makes me wonder.

  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

    I think it's kind of funny...lol but honestly I would not have even noticed if it weren't pointed out.

  • JohansonJohanson Member UncommonPosts: 52

    This is so funny.

    A bunch of moralists preaching about problems of today's world, as exposed in few minutes of TERA gameplay.

    They are concearned about female runing animation, meanwhile around the world people are killing each other in different wars, in some part of the world girls are still forced into slavery as prostitutes,...

    But hey! That's no problem. As long as we get games with zero sexual content.

    It's funny, because it's totally OK that we have games with guns, swords, bows,... and where you'r main goal is to kill as much people as possible. But when there is game where girls wear short skirts, than this is problem of our society.

    And don't get me wrong, I'm not against violence in games (I actually love violent games :D), I just find it funny, that moralists are ALWAYS more concerned about sex than about killing.

    I really don't understand why sex is suposed to be so dirty, I find it nice, beautiful and enjoyable. Only reason I can think of, is that all moralists still live with their abrahamic-religion morals in their ass.

    And for all haters, that want to say, that my english skills sux, you don't have to, I already know that. :(

  • mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

    Originally posted by Johanson

    This is so funny.

    A bunch of moralists preaching about problems of today's world, as exposed in few minutes of TERA gameplay.

    They are concearned about female runing animation, meanwhile around the world people are killing each other in different wars, in some part of the world girls are still forced into slavery as prostitutes,...

    But hey! That's no problem. As long as we get games with zero sexual content.

    It's funny, because it's totally OK that we have games with guns, swords, bows,... and where you'r main goal is to kill as much people as possible. But when there is game where girls wear short skirts, than this is problem of our society.

    And don't get me wrong, I'm not against violence in games (I actually love violent games :D), I just find it funny, that moralists are ALWAYS more concerned about sex than about killing.

    I really don't understand why sex is suposed to be so dirty, I find it nice, beautiful and enjoyable. Only reason I can think of, is that all moralists still live with their abrahamic-religion morals in their ass.

    And for all haters, that want to say, that my english skills sux, you don't have to, I already know that. :(

    It's not your english skills that we are doubting, it's the fact that you've actually had sex... with a girl... who was willing... and not paid...

  • JohansonJohanson Member UncommonPosts: 52

    Originally posted by mmonooblet

    It's not your english skills that we are doubting, it's the fact that you've actually had sex... with a girl... who was willing... and not paid...

    LOL, good one :D

  • Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

    Originally posted by kdchan

    It is a game and there is nothing wrong with this design. Point. You are the only one that see the problem here,

    Not at all. I'm male and i'm disgusted by it. It makes the game look cheap because aesthetically it's a slap in the face and sexist to boot. Imagine for a moment you where black and a game comes along which depicts black people as thick-lipped bimbos with afros all the time, whose animations include walking around with a getto-blaster. Wouldn't you have a problem with that? It's the same.The fact that "japanese design" often does exactly that is no excuse and if you cultural horizon ends with hentai, i'm sorry for you.
  • kassimankassiman Member Posts: 77

    Originally posted by Clubmaster22

    Originally posted by kdchan

    It is a game and there is nothing wrong with this design. Point. You are the only one that see the problem here,

    Not at all. I'm male and i'm disgusted by it. It makes the game look cheap because aesthetically it's a slap in the face and sexist to boot. Imagine for a moment you where black and a game comes along which depicts black people as thick-lipped bimbos with afros. Wouldn't you have a problem with that? It's the same.

    nah its still just you. more you think about it more you realise its. just. you.

  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

    Kinda sad, not the game but the people here on there soap boxes, my wife is bi and an anime fan, we love the anime style females in these games so what if its not realistic so what if its showing panties. is that really a bad thing ?  Sexuality and sensuality are very different things to different people, my wife thinks catgirls are hot and I absolutely love that my wife is confident enough in her own self to  have naked pictures of girls on her desktop and to call me over if she sees a beautiful woman.

     

    I may play tera but it doesn't seem that original to me yet so i'm on the fence, my wife wants to play one of those girls if she plays lol.

  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

    @OP: Heh, I usually don't care much about how much skin is revealed or not for avatars, but I have to admit, that one goes over the top and looks stupid besides. What is it, does she have a hernia for walking so strange bent over?

     

    As for people saying that that's the difference between western and eastern style in graphics, sure there's a difference, but like with everything there's difference and difference: TERA seems to take it one step further into the skimpy/overtly sexy (sexist) than Aion.

    I wonder, how many of the people that say that it doesn't matter and that people shouldn't care about it, would they still think the same if they are forced to pick a male character as avatar that looks and runs around as gay as one of the Village People or that is as clothed in a Borat outfit. And I wonder if they'd still feel indifferent when they had to wander around in a gay parade ingame whenever they hit town.

    I know I sure would mind.

    So I can understand that other people find the obvious sexism in a game as TERA annoying, even when I find it only mildly annoying myself  before I shrug it away.

    The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

    The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    Originally posted by cyphers

    @OP: Heh, I usually don't care much about how much skin is revealed or not for avatars, but I have to admit, that one goes over the top and looks stupid besides. What is it, does she have a hernia for walking so strange bent over?

     

    As for people saying that that's the difference between western and eastern style in graphics, sure there's a difference, but like with everything there's difference and difference: TERA seems to take it one step further into the skimpy/overtly sexy (sexist) than Aion.

    I wonder, how many of the people that say that it doesn't matter and that people shouldn't care about it, would they still think the same if they are forced to pick a male character as avatar that looks and runs around as gay as one of the Village People or that is as clothed in a Borat outfit. And I wonder if they'd still feel indifferent when they had to wander around in a gay parade ingame whenever they hit town.

    I know I sure would mind.

    So I can understand that other people find the obvious sexism in a game as TERA annoying, even when I find it only mildly annoying myself  before I shrug it away.

    I don't think this is about west vs east, AoC have western style and isn't much better. And frankly do Wow have some rather suspicious "armors" too. Sometimes the devs just gives too much fan service and that can turn off the female gamers.

    Some games go too far the other way instead, like EQ2. That the armors are practical is one thing but the cloth is really uninspired and make both male and female cloth users look like kids. 

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,004

    Originally posted by Clubmaster22

    Originally posted by kdchan

    It is a game and there is nothing wrong with this design. Point. You are the only one that see the problem here,

    Not at all. I'm male and i'm disgusted by it. It makes the game look cheap because aesthetically it's a slap in the face and sexist to boot. Imagine for a moment you where black and a game comes along which depicts black people as thick-lipped bimbos with afros all the time, whose animations include walking around with a getto-blaster. Wouldn't you have a problem with that? It's the same.The fact that "japanese design" often does exactly that is no excuse and if you cultural horizon ends with hentai, i'm sorry for you.

    Well, thta's not exactly an apt anaology. Sure, there are going to be women (and men) who don't like it. But I know quite a few women who love displaying their sexuality and find it a positive thing.

    And quite a few men who enjoy women who are sexually aggressive in attitude and dress.

    For a game like this, if one doesnt like it hey don't have to play it. I don't find overt sexuality disturbing at all. However, it depends how it's done. I just think that Tera goes into the silly realm with the swinging hips. But whatever, I'm sure I'll live.

    For those who find it offensive then not buying is the option.

    However, going as far as saying that it's the same thing as depicting someone of a certain race as something "less than", well you are discounting a few things in making that statement.

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

    Grow up OP. This was just a bunch of guys laughing at pixel chicks. Guys talk like that. Its normal and heck even natural.

     

    Frigin feminism and political correctness made everyone so frigin tight up.  Damn...

    I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

    I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

    I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

    I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

    RIP George Carlin.

  • sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

    i find it odd that guys would get excited over a videogame characters who have a little cleavage showing.   I just don't know anyone who would enjoy playing a tiny, stick-thin girl who swings around a sword twice her size and is half naked.  Sounds stupid, even for a game.  Give me a fat woman named Bertha with a big axe and a cask of ale - characters like that would be more interesting in a fantasy world at least to me.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer item shop purchases of handbags and shoes so you can dress them up like barbie.  It's pathetic.

  • PalingerPalinger Member Posts: 21

    Originally posted by sn0wblind00

    i find it odd that guys would get excited over a videogame characters who have a little cleavage showing.   I just don't know anyone who would enjoy playing a tiny, stick-thin girl who swings around a sword twice her size and is half naked.  Sounds stupid, even for a game.  Give me a fat woman named Bertha with a big axe and a cask of ale - characters like that would be more interesting in a fantasy world at least to me.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer item shop purchases of handbags and shoes so you can dress them up like barbie.  It's pathetic.

    That is awesome, not as awesome as killing a tauren with a gnome, but awesome nonetheless.

  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

    Cool video.  Nice butt.

     

    Not sure I see the problem.  That's a common art style these days.


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

    Generally speaking, I role female characters - usually because I do not want to stare at a guy's butt as he runs all over the place.  I have to agree though, a better model - flowing skirt, etc - would look better.  It could be done in a degrading manner that looks much better - rather than just being tacky.

    I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

    Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%


  • Wouldn't you have a problem with that?

    Don't care, is only a game, also i'm for the freedom of speech.


    It's the same.The fact that "japanese design" often does exactly that is no excuse and if you cultural horizon ends with hentai, i'm sorry for you.

    Is korean design not japanese, and if you find hentai here you probably never see a hentai in your entire life. You talk but have no idea what you talking about and your ignorance amaze me, i find it more disgusting that talking about some pixels. I don't need your apologize thanks, i'm proud and i have fun in the games i choose to play.


    I wonder, how many of the people that say that it doesn't matter and that people shouldn't care about it...

    People who whine are some racist that they do not play the game aniway because find asian art ugly and korean mmo a mere grindfest, they belong to western games like GW2 or Wow. The community of Tera is already big and well developed so is not a problem and will never be a problem if this is your concern.

  • midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

    The bent forward running animation always bothers me. I just don't get it. The bent forward animation seems to be an attempt to symbolize speed and grace, but all I see is face plant without a tail for balance.

    Otherwise, what ever. There are different art styles and design philosophies for good reason.

    Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

  • Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

    Originally posted by kdchan



    Wouldn't you have a problem with that?


    Don't care, is only a game, also i'm for the freedom of speech.

    Then don't vote for Berlusconi next time.




    It's the same.The fact that "japanese design" often does exactly that is no excuse and if you cultural horizon ends with hentai, i'm sorry for you.


    Is korean design not japanese,

    That's why it has quotation marks. I never said the game is japanese.

    and if you find hentai here you probably never see a hentai in your entire life. You talk but have no idea what you talking about and your ignorance amaze me, i find it more disgusting that talking about some pixels. I don't need your apologize thanks, i'm proud and i have fun in the games i choose to play.

    Proud of what? Being a hillbilly?




    I wonder, how many of the people that say that it doesn't matter and that people shouldn't care about it...


    People who whine are some racist that they do not play the game aniway because find asian art ugly and korean mmo a mere grindfest, they belong to western games like GW2 or Wow. The community of Tera is already big and well developed so is not a problem and will never be a problem if this is your concern.

    The Problem is that Tera did show promise but what i see here is just cheap artdirection, whioch is atypical for korean and japanese games. The game seems to be derivative at best and yes, i prefer GW 2 over this ugly grindfest any day. This sexist video is just the final nail in the coffin for me.

  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

    Originally posted by Valentina

    I think it's kind of funny...lol but honestly I would not have even noticed if it weren't pointed out.

     

    Thats my take on it as well. I look at these things with a sense of humor.  Some of course link this to a multi generational cycle of oppression of women by The Man(rolls eyes).  Thats taking something trivial and blowing it WAY out of proportion.  Sure much of this is directed at the 14 to 16 year old male crowd. So what?  Given how sex is treated in much of the world, the only wonder is that things aren't worse than they are. 

    The sex drive is just about as basic as it gets with humans.  Thats why its been so useful in selling so many different things. Claims that this type of thing denotes a "hatred of women" are silly(and are almost as abused as the claim of "racism"). If anything it demonstrates a fascination with, and a love of the female form.  Yes, in a Perfect World, a womans intelligence, abilities and personality would come first.  But that takes more experience(some times comes with age) and also more insight.  Expecting that from the typical young adult Dev, let alone their 14+ male target audience is foolish, and unrealistic.

    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

  • Then don't vote for Berlusconi next time.

    I never vote criminals. Your replies seems full of pregiudice and racism based only on nationality.


    Proud of what? Being a hillbilly?

    What i play and what i like is not your business. But i see you judge people for what games they play and where they live. Is pathetic.


    The game seems to be derivative at best and yes, i prefer GW 2 over this ugly grindfest any day.

    No doubt about it.


    This sexist video is just the final nail in the coffin for me.

    Your ignorance about stereotypes continue to amaze me but who cares, is your loss, closed minded people like you aren't needed and wont be missed this is for sure.
    Cya and have fun in GW2.

  • paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

    Originally posted by Clubmaster22

    Originally posted by kdchan



    Wouldn't you have a problem with that?


    Don't care, is only a game, also i'm for the freedom of speech.

    Then don't vote for Berlusconi next time.




    It's the same.The fact that "japanese design" often does exactly that is no excuse and if you cultural horizon ends with hentai, i'm sorry for you.


    Is korean design not japanese,

    That's why it has quotation marks. I never said the game is japanese.

    and if you find hentai here you probably never see a hentai in your entire life. You talk but have no idea what you talking about and your ignorance amaze me, i find it more disgusting that talking about some pixels. I don't need your apologize thanks, i'm proud and i have fun in the games i choose to play.

    Proud of what? Being a hillbilly?




    I wonder, how many of the people that say that it doesn't matter and that people shouldn't care about it...


    People who whine are some racist that they do not play the game aniway because find asian art ugly and korean mmo a mere grindfest, they belong to western games like GW2 or Wow. The community of Tera is already big and well developed so is not a problem and will never be a problem if this is your concern.

    The Problem is that Tera did show promise but what i see here is just cheap artdirection, whioch is atypical for korean and japanese games. The game seems to be derivative at best and yes, i prefer GW 2 over this ugly grindfest any day. This sexist video is just the final nail in the coffin for me.

     In all honesty, glad you won't be playing this. You can go back to your cartoony gw2 with heat-seeking fireballs and once again looking your keyboard more than the screen during your gameplay and the RNG nightmare. Have fun.

  • Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

    Originally posted by Johanson

    Originally posted by Clubmaster22


    Then don't vote for Berlusconi next time.

    Funny stuff. You'r all hurt about some short skirt, but you have no problems puting coments like that.

    well sorry that nobody gets the joke but then again, i'm not surprised in this here thread. So just to clear it up: I wanted him to get a little taste of what it feels like to be stereotyped because of some random circumstances nobody gets to choose. He obviously got upset (and rightfully so), so mission accomplished.

  • Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

    Originally posted by paterah

    In all honesty, glad you won't be playing this. You can go back to your cartoony gw2 with heat-seeking fireballs and once again looking your keyboard more than the screen during your gameplay and the RNG nightmare. Have fun.

    Oh I will. It's kinda funny though blaming GW2 for being "cartoonish" while at the same time looking forward to playing with  panda-bears and little school girls in candy-land. And if you are overstrained with mouse/keyboard (which obviously is the case) i'd recommend "Monster Hunter", a game that has all the "innovations" since the 90's that Tera seems to claim for itself.

This discussion has been closed.