Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE online, does it burn out fast?

2»

Comments

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by Nizur

EVE is the only MMO I've subbed to three different times and left, the last time being just a few weeks ago. There's something about it that keeps me interested over the years, but I get bored with it fast. Every several months I'll get the itch to try it again.

I'm in the same situation. 

I want to play it, I try to have fun, I get bored and give up.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Once GW2 comes out. I will sell my characters and give my stuff and profits to my corp mates. And never look back.

After this lenghty research, no-one can say that I cannot form a fair judgement about the game because I didn't play it long enough. Nice people I met along the way. Not only have I found out that this game is not for me, but many of the claims that fans make about this game are overly exaggerated. Some claims are downright lying.

The way I see it, It is a strong enough concept and has an original idea, but the implementation and bad design choices taint the whole game to a point that I don't really want to play it even if there are few good things in it. It is like a having a  restaurant meal and finding a pubic hair in it. You don't want to eat it. Alas, you'll find that hair only after eating for awhile.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

All in all, I've never found EVE to be boring compared to other games.  I have noticed how it starts to take on the aspects of a job, so I have stepped away from the game.  I have also had issues with how certain things were implemented, and have stepped away from the game.  Heck, I even ragequit at one point - even though I had time to delete everything I had, I was lucky that the account expired before I could complete the termination of the character.

WoW, CoX, DDO, LotRO, and so many other games - it is all the same, either across the games or in the games.  You either realize that you are just doing the same thing or that there is nothing to do.  Those are where I normally get burned out, doing the resub and playing perhaps for a week at most.  With EVE, I'll usually go two to three months before friends drag me off somewhere else or something just catches my eye that I want to try.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I too have burned out [after 7 years] so keeping the account alive to skill train and do the occasional level 4 in my tech 3 cruiser image

Basically i am waiting for the walking in stations to see if it fixes my main problem with eve which is the detached form of socalising with others.

Dont get me wrong tho EvE is one of the best AAA+ games out there.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I have to confess, I seem to have hit the wall too, but I won't say I hit it fast, I've been playing for over 3 years and is my longest MMORPG game to date.

My issue right now is one of time, or lack thereof actually.   My work situation changed recently and I now have no more than 1, to 2 hours a day to play most times. ( a little more on the weekend).

Problem is, with my skills, my interests is right now oriented towards perhaps being a Merc, or fightning out in 0.0.  I've been trying to carve myself a role with these in mind, but what I find is that when I log in by time I figure out where the action is and get myself to it, I have to log out and call it a day.

I'm not really interested in the solo activities anymore, I'd really like to fly in large or even medium gangs again but washed out in my latest attempt because I could never catch up with the rest of the group to be effective.

So now I'm messing around with Fallen Earth, because its pretty much an all solo experience (at least at level 10) so i can do some gaming when I have the time.

But I'm still paying for my accounts just to keep their training going, but that's likely to change in the near future.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, no MMORPG can go on forever, and it does free me up to give some things a try that I'd been putting off like FE, and of course plenty of room to try the newer games as they come out in 2011.

No regrets, and no, not angry about anything (except perhaps for the fact I have to work 60+ hours a week, but that's a different issue)

I've had a good run, maybe its time to fly out into the night.

Edit: Wait, I might have spoken too soon, just saw a recruiting post for Red vs Blue, that might just be the ticket! image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Perhaps the burnout is due to soloness, I know it is for me. I started with some freinds who were playing years and with many accounts and the time to get close enough to participate in PvP was a drag. But as I grow older I been asking for hookups with corp mambers. I dont know, maybe in another 6 months things will change for me.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I hit multiple walls usually after 6 months and it usually had a lot to do with real life duties. Thing was, to get into the 'action' in EVE, I needed to be involved and trusted by corpmates or find a big corp. I just never felt like I was being a good team player in a lot of corps since I'd pop in and out.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

I have not been playing Eve near as long as some of you, but I always hit a "wall" in this game after about 2-3 month's of play. Eve is one of the only MMO's I keep going back to though, will play a few month's then unsub for a few. I generally go around and try other MMO's(use to buy a new MMO like every month lol), then I eventually found Eve. The only other game I tend to return to is Darkfall because of the PVP aspect of it, honestly I would probably permenantly stick to DF but I get bored with it quick as the population on the server is way to small. Recently I resubbed to Eve and have played solid now about a month, but am slowly getting burnt out now finding it harder to log in recently. This time around though I plan to stay with Eve and will just hop on a few times a week, and during off days I am playing either LoTRO, Halo Reach, or DF.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i hit a wall after my first year, then came back for a couple months then took another break. it's not that i dont enjoy the game anymore, its just that the space i usually hunt in, the space that used to be filled with mission runners, ratters, and other solo/duo pirates have mostly all left. February of last year was when i became a pirate and soloed or ran in small gangs with small ships alot and averaged 90-110 kills a month. Now though, if i go out solo as i used to, i run into large fleets or gangs of 4-5 people and anything that looks like easy prey most likely is bait. FW has taken over the space i used to hunt and as most of the fish left it was either adapt, find a new home, or quit. I'd like to try something new or go to a different corner of space, but the idea of making multiple freighter trips or scouting out space seems so boring. As is the process of ratting my sec status up.

I'm hoping as well that maybe something will change in the next few months or even with incarna. But atm, i just can't find the motivation to continue, especially when my friends list is lined with red squares every time i'm on. So OP you're not the only one, and from what i hear alot of people seems to be in a "wait and see" state.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• JDGalisJDGalis Member UncommonPosts: 143

For everyone, they will hit the wall at some point in Eve. Its inevitable, but hey can happen any time for anybody. Like previous posts, I find it hitting the Eve wall can be like hitting a wall in real life as well. Relating to a Job that you enjoy in the beggining or an activity that becomes a task. Eventually you'll hit a rythm for it you dig it now but then later on it becomes a tedious procedure.   There is nothing that we can really do about it perhaps, I think its just human behavior that wll just come.  We need the breaks lol

I think i just hit the wall myself a few nights ago though ... =(      I'm finding myself playing Vindictus, and thinking of tryng out FF14 or possible going back to AoC or War. Hell maybe even try LOTR 

But hey this next expansion is looking allright,plus theres also Incarna (next year o/ ) & Dust 514 to look forward too.

Introducing the best signature ever!

[signature] Best Signature [/signature]

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by rashhero

I've hit this wall as well. Let my sub on Eve die just over a month ago after YEARS. Tried Ryzom, which was fun for about 2-3 weeks. Then I hit up free trials of SWG, PoTB, WAR, AoC, WoW, FoM. Tried F2P games like Wizard 101 (which is fun just not really shit to do in it), DDO and the new LOTRO. Nothing has captured me yet but I think it's mainly due to

1: I'm just really wanting SWTOR more than anything.

and

2: They're MMO's and I really don't have any friends that play these kind of games and so I have no one to work with. I've been feeling the boredom of playing MMO's solo lately I believe.

Pretty much where im at right now.. I played AION for a LOOONG time and then when i quit i went thru a string of trials for other MMO's and played lots of f2p games.. Eventually i tried EvE's trial and just stuck with it and played the game for about 4 months and then got bored and moved on.. I've played tons of other MMO's since then and havn't really stuck with any, right now i'am playing a f2p game (which i like but i cant really play for more then a hour or two w/o getting bored) and trialing SWG..

With that said today i'am resubbing back to EvE because i sorta miss it.. Not only that EvE was the type of game i only played a few hours each day so it'll go good with the f2p MMO i'am playing know.. I can switch back and forth on 'em.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• AmethystEchoAmethystEcho Member Posts: 4

I started playing Eve almost 6 years ago. I've taken maybe a years worth of time off in total for various reasons, usually because RL had to take the front seat and I just didn't have the time to play... why pay for something you can't play, ya know? 

As of a few months ago, I finally did hit that "wall" though and I highly doubt I'll go back, at least not any time in the next year. I view the next patch or 2 as mostly fluff and eye candy. What mostly kept me playing was finding good groups of people to hang with in game. While you can go solo (and I sometimes did) it's a lot more fun doing things with like minded people, be it mining or PvP or whatever floats your ship. I had several of my in-game pals stop playing and attempts to find a new corp were met with suspicion. (Downside of having a 2004 character. LOL) A corp can make or break you in Eve, at least in my experience. So, I stayed long enough to try out the new planet mining feature to see if it would hold my interest and decided it wasn't enough reason to keep playing. 

In short, Eve can be a long term MMO... but how long term is up to the individual.

Though be aware that the learning curve is more of a learning cliff... though I will admit it's not as steep a cliff as it used to be. ;-)