Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you get by without crafting?

It seems like FFXIV is more crafting focused than other games, slight issue being that I don't like investing a lot of time into crafting. Could I get by with only gathering?  I also heard you need crafting to repair, how do you repair if you don't craft, or is it just more expensive or something? Would rather not be gimped if I skip crafting.

Comments

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

You will need to buy equipment from crafters because that is where equipment comes from.

There is a repair NPC in every city that can repair your gear to 75% so you can get by doing that.  To get items repaired to 100% you'll need a crafter who will probably charge you for the repair.

Find yourself a good linkshell with dedicated crafters.  Best way to do it.

You can get by just fine without any crafting.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

LOL yes. My Linkshell is mostly crafers and we're looking for more members to gather or just rank up the battle classes so we can get their crystals and shards.

• pgqsilverpgqsilver Member UncommonPosts: 106

You can get by without crafting, but remember crafting also gives you physical experience.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by ghaleonx128

It seems like FFXIV is more crafting focused than other games, slight issue being that I don't like investing a lot of time into crafting. Could I get by with only gathering?  I also heard you need crafting to repair, how do you repair if you don't craft, or is it just more expensive or something? Would rather not be gimped if I skip crafting.

Yes you can get by without crafting. You can just stick to gethering like Mining or Botanist and sell everything you get. Even if you only like to kill mobs, you can sell crystals and shards for gils. Everything sells in game because all mats are used in crafting. Hunting mobs is great because of all the materials they drop. Just keep selling all the drops you will be loaded in gils in no time.

Also when faction leves open up at high levels, you get armor as rewards for it.

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

Originally posted by pgqsilver

You can get by without crafting, but remember crafting also gives you physical experience.

This is a very good point.  I am not a crafter but I still do my 8 local leves every 36 hours because the experience you gain is worth it.  It doesn't take a lot of time to complete and you never know, you might want to pick up crafting later on so might as well have your crafting classes off to a good start.

Local leves supply you with all the supplies and materials you need to craft so you don't have to worry about gathering or buying anything to complete them.  Just follow the directions and sit down to craft.  And, at least in rank 1-10, you can just spam Rapid over and over to craft items and be successful most of the time. 

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I'm sure you could, but you're going to be at a disadvantage and at the mercy of the market. I would say at least have the ability to repair your own gear. I didn't take up a craft in XI, and I got by, but it was a huge mistake. The crafting system in XIV is pretty robust, but at the same time, it's a really big investment in both time and gil. I'd pick one crafting and one gathering discipline then focus on that when you need a change of pace. I've seen a lot of people overextend themselves and pick up all the crafts. I'd advise against that. It's much easier to try and specialize early on instead of trying to do it all at the same time.

If you're dead-set against crafting then don't bother. Afterall, you're playing to enjoy yourself, and if you hate crafting don't do it, but I would say at least try it out.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

You can get by without crafting, but you'd better know some crafters who would give you discounts on gear and repairs.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Gathering is good, but it is worth processing what you get at least once to add value......

Botanist / Mining will give you lots of goods to sell.... but the value is in processing what you find. From killing you will earn hundreds upon hundreds of shards these are used in every craft if you sell these i am sure you will get enough cash for gear.

The game is great the crafting and likes are a big part of the game. I would try it either way......

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Gathering might make you even richer long term than spending time crafting. If you set up shop with a ton of mats, especially right now, people will likely clean you out pretty quick.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Originally posted by colddog04

Gathering might make you even richer long term than spending time crafting. If you set up shop with a ton of mats, especially right now, people will likely clean you out pretty quick.

I agree

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

FFXIV is very crafting focused, and right now it looks like just about all your equipment will be player-crafted. Given that the crafting community is still spinning up and that the tools for the player economy are still being put in place by Square-Enix, you might find it a little difficult if you don't craft. But, still, you'll get money and valuable drops fighting, and you should be able to earn enough that if you look hard enough you can buy what you need from the crafters, and availability should improve as time goes on.

You repair if you don't craft by having someone who does craft do the repairing for you. There's an interface for that, so you don't have to give him the item and trust him to give it back (and also so that you can get stuff bound to you repaired). There's also an NPC who will repair your stuff for you for a charge. He's not expensive, but he can only repair to 75%; full repairs will take a PC crafter.

• PhillipVIIIPhillipVIII Member Posts: 62

If you don't craft or gather you prob won't amount to much.  Of course non-crafters are important in games like this to keep crafters rich.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by PhillipVIII

If you don't craft or gather you prob won't amount to much.  Of course non-crafters are important in games like this to keep crafters rich.

Completely wrong. I have an alt which is purely combat. I buy my gear from npc or player shops. I have over 200K gils right now. i sell everything i get from mobs. Cystals and shards sell the best. So i don't know what you mean  when you say 'you don't amount to much? infact if anything i made lots of crafter quite rich from my own wealth.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551

Originally posted by kaltoum

Completely wrong. I have an alt which is purely combat. I buy my gear from npc or player shops. I have over 200K gils right now. i sell everything i get from mobs. Cystals and shards sell the best. So i don't know what you mean  when you say 'you don't amount to much? infact if anything i made lots of crafter quite rich from my own wealth.

Am I missing something Phil said or it just you?

Originally posted by Cereo

lol

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by Cereo

I am agreeing with him partially, i think that was obvious? yes crafters get rich but non crafters also get rich. I don't agree with his point that if you are a non crafter you won't amount to much.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

So you actually think the crafter will sell you the best items ingame just because?  Nah he's gonna keep it for his toon or guildies, or maybe to the highest bidder to just for keepsake.  If you wish to trive for the best stuff, craft.  As a pure adventurer you can make good money - but there comes a point when money don't mean much.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Crafters only make money if there is a demand for the craft. If everyone is a crafter, then there is no demand. So by all means, don't go into crafting, and buy some of my wares.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

So you actually think the crafter will sell you the best items ingame just because?  Nah he's gonna keep it for his toon or guildies, or maybe to the highest bidder to just for keepsake.  If you wish to trive for the best stuff, craft.  As a pure adventurer you can make good money - but there comes a point when money don't mean much.

Which is why I'm buying a full set of the R27 crafted bronze armor, which is the most advanced stuff being crafted (or being worn) so far in the 9 days of release, right? I mean, he's clearly hoarding it for his own linkshell.

Anyways, if you don't craft then you have no need for shards, which you collect a ton of after a short while. Shards, specifically things like Earth, Fire, Wind and one other (I think Lightning?) sell really quick. The others (ice and Water) are slow going, but they eventually move. And the Crystals, although rarer, sell for a lot more. You can make gil fast by constantly selling these, in addition to other materials (such as dodo skin, though that's going down in rarity as more people can now kill them).

There are also materials, such as marmot pelts, which you can get a decent amount of that sell surprisingly well for what they are that are drops from mobs. While there are no gear drops, and leves reward only have a chance of rewarding armor, you should be making enough gil to keep yourself adequately geared up and repaired.

Only note on repair is don't expect to cheap out and get it all done by offering something like 100 gil, which is what I've seen people do and then complain that no one is repairing their item. And before anyone calls "GREED!" you must remember that they need materials to repair your item, and in most cases, the person actually looking for the repair is not carrying those materials (some can get pretty expensive as well). For the starter and into the teens, I've had great luck getting stuff repaired quickly offering 1000 to 2000, and unless your grinding really hardcore, you shouldn't have a need to repair again for quite a while.

EDIT: I also wanted to add something. While you can equip any type of armor and weapon at any level and as any class, people need to remember that those items have an optimal rank and optimal class. If you equip, say, a rank 17 item when you're rank 3, the actual % of the stats you get from that item is so low, you may actually be better off using something around your level or just slightly behind.

Some of the armor is pricey, but you'll be using it for a while. This game is not a game where you'll be constantly changing armors every level or two. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

To make s*** load of gils? i am pure combat with 2 gathering skills. I sell everything i get and i can afford any item i want. So yeah gils means a lot all the time considering everything costs quite a lot of gils even repairs are expensive at high levels.

Crafters need pure combat classes like me or their won't be any demand/supply. And you are wrong if you think every crafter is leveling a disciple of magic or war. I have met lot of players who are pure crafters and intend to stay that way.

That's my point the whole time.  And no, r27 bronze is not what I consider the good stuff.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

That's my point the whole time.  And no, r27 bronze is not what I consider the good stuff.

Then what is good stuff? game is out for 8 days now. What else do you expect to see in a week?

I'm talking about endgame good stuff.  I wasn't reffering to how long the game has been out, duh.  In any player run economy MMOs I played, if you want the best stuff, learn to make it yourself.