Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion or WAR

RhyoinRhyoin Member Posts: 56

Hey all, Ive been out of the mmo scene for sometime but got the urge to play them again. ATM im considering on resubbing to either WAR and Aion.  Mainly for the pvp but with some pve to boot.  I did the war trial and it seemed pretty good but how is the pop in war compare to aion?  I've heard good things about 2.0 for Aion expect for the nerf to Rift but then again, I was never high enough lvl to rift.  So im just looking for what you guys think about each and which would be the better choice.  Thx

Playing:RIFT
Played:DAoC-7 years of fun ,WAR,SWG,EQ/EQ2,VG,Shadowbane,Darkfall, AIon, and more
Waiting on: none
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/sHoKawe1

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

when i was looking for a game, it was made clear that WAR is very top and bottom heavy.  Its fun in the beginning because its full of unlimited trial members and somewhat fun at the end because well that is where everyone is now, at the endgame.  Other than that i was told that its pretty much a lonely road between the mid level tiers and it is not worth getting.  

Aion, i was told has a flourishing population with people in each zone including lower level zones, especially after the 2.0 patch.  They added solo instances which can give you your pve fix.  They apparently also fixed grind for both xp and kinah and implemented new features that sound interesting.  such as combining two weapons to give bonus stats (have not observed was told by someone on this forum).  

Needless to say im resubbing aion in a little while.  My advice would be just download the aion client while you decide.  Its over 10 gb that way if you decide to sub you dont have to wait to play.

goodluck

• SgtEchoSgtEcho Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

when i was looking for a game, it was made clear that WAR is very top and bottom heavy.  Its fun in the beginning because its full of unlimited trial members and somewhat fun at the end because well that is where everyone is now, at the endgame.  Other than that i was told that its pretty much a lonely road between the mid level tiers and it is not worth getting.  

Aion, i was told has a flourishing population with people in each zone including lower level zones, especially after the 2.0 patch.  They added solo instances which can give you your pve fix.  They apparently also fixed grind for both xp and kinah and implemented new features that sound interesting.  such as combining two weapons to give bonus stats (have not observed was told by someone on this forum).  

Needless to say im resubbing aion in a little while.  My advice would be just download the aion client while you decide.  Its over 10 gb that way if you decide to sub you dont have to wait to play.

goodluck

OR you could buy a box. Aion is really enjoyable if you don't mind some grind. It really isn't that bad. Yeah, it may take a while to level once you get to around 40 but it's pretty fun.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

he still has to patch the expansion.

• RhyoinRhyoin Member Posts: 56

Yeah its already installed but not patch. From what I remember the nscoft patcher was kinda slow. Have they fixed that?  Hows the pvp in aion now? My highest lvl was 20 i think..  The grind part is not a problem, cant be any worse then the early days of daoc.

What I liked about WAR was that you can get into pvp/rvr faily quickly. Well least in Tier 1, tier 2/3 were kinda not so great and never made it to tier 4.

So in Aion is the pvp pretty steady and theres pvpve zones correct?

Played:DAoC-7 years of fun ,WAR,SWG,EQ/EQ2,VG,Shadowbane,Darkfall, AIon, and more

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Originally posted by Rhyoin

Yeah its already installed but not patch. From what I remember the nscoft patcher was kinda slow. Have they fixed that?  Hows the pvp in aion now? My highest lvl was 20 i think..  The grind part is not a problem, cant be any worse then the early days of daoc.

About the patcher: they did fix it. As an example ive installed the game with my old dvd and the 5gb of the expansion were downloaded in like 15 minutes at around 7MB/s.

im using a 50Mb fiber optics connection so you can see it used all the resources available. The servers are really good now

PvP now is only on the Abyss "GLADLY" =D  they fixed ganking in rifting so the gankers pretty much quit. PvP is very active offcourse but it circles around abyss battles and fortresses, and PvPvE on the abyss, since people still quest up there

Originally posted by tryklon

About the patcher: they did fix it. As an example ive installed the game with my old dvd and the 5gb of the expansion were downloaded in like 15 minutes at around 7MB/s.

im using a 50Mb fiber optics connection so you can see it used all the resources available. The servers are really good now

PvP now is only on the Abyss "GLADLY" =D  they fixed ganking in rifting so the gankers pretty much quit. PvP is very active offcourse but it circles around abyss battles and fortresses, and PvPvE on the abyss, since people still quest up there

Ahh thats good to hear. Im using the same type of connection as you.

Ive read that many are complaining about the nerf to rifting.  I never got to experience so cant really comment on that.  There alot of 8v8's or stuff like that? Fort takes are timed like in Lineage 2 or like daoc where u can take them over at anytime?

Ive read that many are complaining about the nerf to rifting.  I never got to experience so cant really comment on that.  There alot of 8v8's or stuff like that? Fort takes are timed like in Lineage 2 or like daoc where u can take them over at anytime?

Forts are timed, yes, because they unlock bosses wich can be done to farm gear and stuff. So, after the victory it stays with that faction for some time.

The game doesnt use 8v8 system, at least to my knowledge. Apart from the fortresses pvp is pretty much free to do as you like, but groups tend to form around certain places to fight

Forts are timed, yes, because they unlock bosses wich can be done to farm gear and stuff. So, after the victory it stays with that faction for some time.

The game doesnt use 8v8 system, at least to my knowledge. Apart from the fortresses pvp is pretty much free to do as you like, but groups tend to form around certain places to fight

Ahh ok.  Are the fort timers long as in few hours or does it last for days?  What lvl do people go into the abyss? Im sure its high lvl and if so, is there low lvl pvp going on minus arena? say 25+

• MadAddictMadAddict Member UncommonPosts: 76

I have to add my 2 cents here....Plain and simple, i hate WAR, bottom line. There are people who'd argue this but i think NCsoft put out pretty good MMo's, cookie cutter but they know what they are doing. Sub + sell minor crap for a few bucks = success for them. I have had an active COH/COV now GR sub since beta, preorder. And i've bought minor crap from them too. No emotes, thats stupid, but i get the stuff that includes a power or worth wild item. Aion is cookie cutter too, but pretty much a good game. ignore the sellers till you  want / need something, and you'll be fine. But mind you, like any other MMO its work (grinding). But thats just part of all of them. I thinks its the better of your 2 choices.

As of now i'm playing, Aion, GR, AOC , and Yes i like AOC. Mostly Aion And GR. And waiting on some upcoming releases. I play them all on a casual basis, but more than the average casual player, my wife doesnt mind, besides it slows down my labito advances on her!

if youe interested in any of them, send questions on them to me in a PM, and i'll tell you my honest opinion. just give me some time to reply.

• AZAlex86AZAlex86 Member UncommonPosts: 157

I have a question for any current Aion subscribers or those who have seen end-game stuff.

I played at launch, but quit soon after due to lack of quests. I'm interested in coming back because I loved the fluidity and gameplay in general, and have been reading up on all of the changes...with that being said, I have a question on the gearing scenario.

Quite a large amount of people are stating the game is fantastic until around level 50 where you have to go for something called a miragent (sp?) set. It can take months to get, and without it, you're pretty much SOL from any content. If you don't get the set, you can opt for other 55 gold sets, which also take months to get due to a completely random drop rate across all items and all classes.

Is this over-exaggerated and blown way out of proportion? I usually think most of the people actually posting on game forums dislike the game because the ones that enjoy it are playing instead. Is there any way to compete as a casual player, and is it fairly easy to get into PvE instances without top of the line gear? I like that they make you work for good equipment, but the way everyone makes it sound is that if you don't have it, you're useless and will get 2 shotted.

Originally posted by AZAlex86

I have a question for any current Aion subscribers or those who have seen end-game stuff.

I played at launch, but quit soon after due to lack of quests. I'm interested in coming back because I loved the fluidity and gameplay in general, and have been reading up on all of the changes...with that being said, I have a question on the gearing scenario.

Quite a large amount of people are stating the game is fantastic until around level 50 where you have to go for something called a miragent (sp?) set. It can take months to get, and without it, you're pretty much SOL from any content. If you don't get the set, you can opt for other 55 gold sets, which also take months to get due to a completely random drop rate across all items and all classes.

Is this over-exaggerated and blown way out of proportion? I usually think most of the people actually posting on game forums dislike the game because the ones that enjoy it are playing instead. Is there any way to compete as a casual player, and is it fairly easy to get into PvE instances without top of the line gear? I like that they make you work for good equipment, but the way everyone makes it sound is that if you don't have it, you're useless and will get 2 shotted.

Mate, every game works that way, and WoW is the main example of this.

People now say that it takes ages because they got used to the way games like WoW work nowadays in wich every cat and dog gets Tier 10 for doing heroic 5 mans.

If you played wow you can compare aion to what wow was in vanilla to get tier 1 or 2... it wasnt for everyone thats for sure.

But it isnt as critical as you heard, and surely you dont need a full set to do whatever you want. Thats pretty much trolls bashing the game.

Aion uses the following premise that wow abandoned: Everything comes at a cost. Nothing is freely given to you

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

Mate, every game works that way, and WoW is the main example of this.

People now say that it takes ages because they got used to the way games like WoW work nowadays in wich every cat and dog gets Tier 10 for doing heroic 5 mans.

If you played wow you can compare aion to what wow was in vanilla to get tier 1 or 2... it wasnt for everyone thats for sure.

Aion uses the following premise that wow abandoned: Everything comes at a cost. Nothing is freely given to you

Rofl no its terribly easy to get all the best gear in aion all you do is grind out AP in the abyss by killing other players or just killing mobs and since the abyss is dead most of the time mobs it is.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

While i think WAR has the ugliest and worst character models, second to only WoW, you actually get pvp gear through....pvp there.

Obviously Frostbite is trolling because the Abyss is pretty much alive, especially since the expansion where the gankers quit to rift.

Second, he speaks like everyone goes to the abyss and farms AP like if it was easy to kill anyone who stands before us.

Hes probably confusing Aion with WoW in wich all of my friends group just entered BG's and ran against walls to farm honor points.... Ah, what a great system

Obviously Frostbite is trolling because the Abyss is pretty much alive, especially since the expansion where the gankers quit to rift.

Second, he speaks like everyone goes to the abyss and farms AP like if it was easy to kill anyone who stands before us.

Hes probably confusing Aion with WoW in wich all of my friends group just entered BG's and ran against walls to farm honor points.... Ah, what a great system

I play on Siel Elyos side I ain't no troll

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Then tell me you secret oh Super Man... to farm AP so easily by killing mobs in order to get a full orange set. Post the AP needed for the set and the AP you get from a single mob.

Lets do some math and see how many u need

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Then tell me you secret oh Super Man... to farm AP so easily by killing mobs in order to get a full orange set. Post the AP needed for the set and the AP you get from a single mob.

Lets do some math and see how many u need

"It takes a while I know but it isn't hard. Aion is a very easy game just like every other mmo except EVE"

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I have played both games... I prefer Aion, but war if you want to be invovled in pvp early in the game.... Aion you have to get to about lvl 20 and you will be raped assed and owned up until you reach about 35-40 or so.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Asmos have been kicking Elyos' butts lately on Siel so that might explain a bit ;-)

Oh, it does take a while does it?

Two post ago you were implying that it was easier to get a full orange set on Aion that farming heroics on wow to get a full t10...

You really must be kidding if you really thought so, i mean, just the stupid wekkly raid, done in 5 mins worths 5 badges, 2 from the daily, many from those easy 30% buffed ICC runs and so on so on...

Not to even mention this new events like the brewfest in wich a boss that lasts literally 10 seconds drops also 2 badges a day.

Frosts ofc.

WoW led all the new MMO players to think that they could get everything with 3 clicks....but guess what, they cannot in Aion

• AZAlex86AZAlex86 Member UncommonPosts: 157

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, I got my start in vanilla EverQuest and played that for 4 years, so the grind doesn't bother me. (Also played UO pre-trammel and early Shadowbane so I'm fine with the occasional ganking.) From there I moved to a few different MMOs, and went to WoW from alpha through TBC, quit, then came back for WoTLK around 5 months ago, but honestly it wasn't the game I loved in Vanilla. Heroic ICC was difficult for about a month or so, but after that my guild literally ran out of things to do, so I rarely log on since.

The main reason why I was worried about Aion is that I was told in order to be competitive, you'd have to run the exact same thing over and over and over again, which is essentially what WoW is. I understand gearing up is important for people, but time consumption =/= difficulty. I'm fine with people playing 80 hours a week having the best gear, I just want to know that I'd be able to compete with slightly lesser gear. Thanks for the insight! It's hard to gather true facts from the forums from any game's site, as they're riddled with trolls and generally unhappy people.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

One of the questions that you may want to ask yourself is:

Do I want to grind on mobs and chill to get PVP gear (AION) or do I want to level by PVPing and get gear from PVP as well (WAR).

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

first miragent/fenril is a lvl 50 set you can have IF you finish all your campaign quests, its a good pve set who will help you a lot, like a end game set it take time and effort plus luck, if not you can do a lvl 50 instance hoping for a gold drop for you to use who work the same, for pvp we have the pvp armor who raise pvp damage and pvp defense by % but unless you use the easy lvl 30 ones, the lvl 50 ones will need medals for it you get when you win forts for your legion or get a good amount of AP during it, and of course for the  people who don't go to sieges you can still buy the gold and silver medal from the other players.

only way for you be 2 shoted is if you find a full pvp ranger and be a lousy sorcerer or SM, because even mages there have a shield who can take 2k damage before he can hit your HP, and good equips are needed in any MMO even WoW, if it was not the case people wouldn't be grinding the raid instances there for drops.

and really lack of quests? if you find aion with lack of quests you are not exploring or are blind before 2.0 come around I had more then 650+ quests done and now i'm hiiting the 850 quests, and that is because several group quests and some spy quests I couldn't do, simple because I out lvl the too fast to even have to care about that quests, some spy quests are troublesome because I really was not lvling just to finish it.

aion in 2.0 really are too easy before and are even more easy now, really if they make this game any more easy I will leave, and find something  better, but for now at least 55 areas are a good challenge.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Speaking from my experience.  Aion was prettier.  Warhammer was more fun.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by kasta

Speaking from my experience.  Aion was prettier.  Warhammer was more fun.

My experience was roughly the same.

Although I heard Aion has gotten a lot of content updates and I will be trying it again soon, as I somehow feel I didn't get enough out of the game.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!