Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone will die if you play another MMO

124»

Comments

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I think alot of people are still not getting the brilliance of this concept and how perfect a way it is to judge our so called "humanity"

We really have gotten to a point where it seems 50% of people don't value a human life over money or material wealth. 50% of the people fail the test sadly this means that 50% of the people deserve to die and the world would be no less for it.

But for those that can't think outside the "box" its very simple

lets say 1000 humans each given this box

Told that if they push the button there reward (money/mmo/beta access to swtor/whatever does it for that person)

BUT someone they don't know dies.

The solution if you think outside the box is very very simple don't push the button because.

Everyone who pushes the button gets there wish but is also flagged as a victim for someone else who pushes the button.

This should be a no brainer ever if your not a good person your self preservation should kick in, obviously this isn't happening and I got news for you the future aint bright and it aint orange if enough people think like 50% of these people do then humankind is probably going to last another 50 years tops.

Enjoy.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

If they could take me back in time to EQ pre luclin then ye i would press it in a heart beat.

EQ was worth more than life itself! Kill em all!

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by calranthe

I think alot of people are still not getting the brilliance of this concept and how perfect a way it is to judge our so called "humanity"

We really have gotten to a point where it seems 50% of people don't value a human life over money or material wealth. 50% of the people fail the test sadly this means that 50% of the people deserve to die and the world would be no less for it.

Told that if they push the button there reward (money/mmo/beta access to swtor/whatever does it for that person)

The solution if you think outside the box is very very simple don't push the button because.

Everyone who pushes the button gets there wish but is also flagged as a victim for someone else who pushes the button.

This should be a no brainer ever if your not a good person your self preservation should kick in, obviously this isn't happening and I got news for you the future aint bright and it aint orange if enough people think like 50% of these people do then humankind is probably going to last another 50 years tops.

Enjoy.

Ill just press the button 999 times :)

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

No, but I'd let kids play around by the button and tell them whatever you do, don't push that button ;)

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Lol 142 votes and split right down the middle.

I'd say "you're full of bullshit" and press the button. If it is indeed true, I'd say, "thousands die every day of natural causes, and even more are shot in Africa/Middle East/China/Israel/etc). If I turn on the news and it's someone famous that I didn't really know (but everyone else did, apparently), I'd say "whoops."

Obviously, if more people than just me were given a button, it'd be different... but OP never said that, did he?

And if the button marks the pusher for death, what if I'm the first guy he comes to? Who dies? He should die, and then some hobo should find the button and push it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

Only 52% would push the button? You care bears, now I know why some MMO's are still PvE only. :)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

tell the guy from comCast where he can shove his box :)

(you know it's got to be comcast right?)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• kain6993kain6993 Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

With any luck I'll get the guy who has the box with my button on it. :)

LMAO

• sardonicasardonica Member UncommonPosts: 9

Its funny how a question like this carries a bias that to answer yes is wrong and could get you rejected by your friends and social groups. Especially when that is actually the correct answer.

Here are a few ways I looked at the question, on the assumption that it could/will legitimately happen, that is.

The religious way: Most religions, based to a huge degree on their fear of death, create a life after death situation where it should an honour to be able to send a stranger into the great beyond. Those people should be answering yes to this godgiven question. Of course in real life, most religious people just pretend to believe, most probably without even realizing it, but that is a topic unto itself.

The universe: Life is the universe's cruel joke. That aside, life that is successful is life that removes or otherwise reacts most strongly to threat of any kind and also reacts most strongly to that which is pleasurable. So trading pleasure for something that could become a threat or at least is of no consequence, is in the nature of all life; clearly a yes.

Real Life: We already live in a world where we cause the death of those we love the most in pursuance of immediate pleasure. To reword, every time we have sex, or more certainly every time a baby is born, someone has caused the longsuffering life and finally death by slow torture of one of their most beloved (as others try to see how long they can keep them alive). We must answer yes.

In a world where perhaps 80 million humans die each year (that's 2.5/sec) What is a single death of a single stranger. It is nothing. That someone might have my button; (a) I should be so lucky, (b) they do..

There's not enough deep thought here (but evenso more than its worth), but someone  just pushed my lunch button, so this must die now.

• J0K3R_3DJ0K3R_3D Member Posts: 82

Id press the button, play as much as I want. Next day, unplug the modem for 15 seconds, press the button again and play. Screw it, I hate the world and everyone in it, except the people I know.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Anonymous murder? Sounds like an easy way to straighten the world out. I wouldn't stop pressing it until the people I knew and myself were left. 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Aison2

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

A person dies in this world what every 2-3 seconds? by pushing a button 1 person will die once, to be very blunt it wouldn't really effect me very much. A couple people died while I was typing this.

So if you push 2 buttons a person will die twice?

tbh after that initial death it loses a lot of it's je ne sais qui.

keep pushing the button = eternal life? (he keeps staying in the dying state which is per se alive)

The person only dies whenever you release the button after pushing it down. If you push the button and hold it down the person will have a constant orgasm. The best way to kill someone would be to hold the button down for an hour before letting go. 

• FlynniganFlynnigan Member Posts: 54

Someone will die?.......

One less troll, one less flamer even one less rmt or some other form of waste of space to lag game servers?!?!?!.......

The endless possibilities......

Can I order these boxes in mass quantity and have a revolving credit with monthly shipments?

A game is just that... a game, not an emotional crutch.

• JellypigJellypig Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by Unreal024

Originally posted by calranthe

Enjoy.

Considering the amount of easily attainable resources that we're dependant on vs. our consumption rate of those resources, i'd be suprised if we have much more than 50 years left anways. Regardless of whether 50% of the population would, without much thought, kill the other 50% for their own amusement.

Those of you who wouldn't push the button aren't helping the situation either. Less people in the world means less that needs to be produced, which leads to less consumption.

Of course, in the end it's all futile. No matter what we do, eventually, all of us will be dead, and humanity will cease to exist. So I say, hell with it, do what makes you happy, because it won't last forever. For me, that means that in this situation, i'd have to press that button.

What annoys me about the arguments against your own is the people who give some lame moralizing bullshit post about how despicable someone is for pushing the button that kills a random person (which may be a painless death), yet has absolutely no qualms about eating animals (who are brutally tortured) and justifies it by saying that humans are better than them, therefor it is perfectly acceptable to eat them for their own brief enjoyment.  We're better because we have better functioning brains?  Irrelevant.  They still feel pain and joy just like we do.  Just because they can't say "happymeal" doesn't make them inferior to us.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

I'd press it, after all; I tend to not believe in such ludicrious statements like that without a contract.

If it was supernatural, all the better. I always wanted to be a mage.

However, if the person provides more detail on how they would die, I may be tempted not to press it. I don't want to draw out a persons death.

Edit: And finally, what if my dog pushes the button? He tends to get around like a catt (not exacally like but eh..) And he keeps on stepping on it. Would that mean my dog would become Kira? ....Perfect..

• SordalSordal Member Posts: 23

Id use the Idea of 'Post Hoc Fallacy' to justify pressing the button