Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Blog Update - Talks about Loot and Upgrading Gear

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

http://www.arena.net/blog/a-rewarding-experience-john-hargrove-talks-about-loot

Hey there new blog on loot over on the official site I especially like these 2 "principles":

Guild Wars Principle #2: Rewards should be worth obtaining.

Speaking of bigger challenges and greater spoils, our artists have been working really hard to give each dungeon in the game its own unique set of gear that really speaks to the experience that you had to go through to obtain it. Presently each of our dungeons has, at a bare minimum, one complete, visually unique reward set that includes a full set of light armor, a full set of medium armor, a full set of heavy armor, as well as one entire set of weaponry that is unique to that dungeon.  With all of the new eye candy to obtain, you can literally play in any given dungeon until you come out as an entirely different looking character.

Of course, we’re working on tons of unique rewards for other facets of the game as well, but I thought that particular example of dedication deserved to be called out!

and

Guild Wars Principle #5: Upgrading gear should be fun.

As a disclaimer to this section, I should start by fessing up that I have been playing MMOs for over a decade now, and for much of that time I have had a bittersweet love affair with sets of items that grow more and more powerful as you collected additional items from that set. The reason I describe my feelings as bittersweet is that while I find traditional MMO item sets utterly irresistible to the collector in me, I also find that it’s nearly impossible to collect a full set of them before I’ve surpassed the intended level range for the gear.

To address this issue in Guild Wars 2, we’ve devised a new twist to make these item sets more accessible.  By linking the cumulative set bonuses to an upgrade component that you can apply to your armor, you can essentially make your own custom sets. In the following example, this is a cloth crest that a Tailor could make for light armor.

Double-click to apply to a piece of Light Armor

(1): +10 Intelligence

(2): +20 Perception

(3): +100 Maximum Health

(4): Thunderclap (50% chance on Critical)

(5): +5% Critical Chance

(6): +10 to all Attributes

Crest of the Legion (1/6)

As you could probably guess, the more crests you have of the same kind on your armor (up to the set’s maximum number), the better the bonuses you receive. For example, if you use one Crest of the Legion on each of your six armor pieces, you would end up having all of the bonuses in this list. All armor and weapons will have a free upgrade slot, so there will be lots of chances to use upgrades like this to tweak your gear’s statistics to your liking

Comments

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Here they go again, making FBR a happy adventurer. This is becoming my dream game, somebody pinch me! It can't all be true, something has to give! Ok no it doesn't :)

Archlinux ftw

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

You missed the bit on Transmutation Stones which allows you to take the stats from one time and transfer them to another for when you like the look of one item but its worse than another. It will be avaliable in the in-game store for real money. Purely cosmetic item.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Love the look of the armor concepts they posted. I can only grow more and more eager for this game. 

Help us Guild Wars 2, you're our only hope.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

You missed the bit on Transmutation Stones which allows you to take the stats from one time and transfer them to another for when you like the look of one item but its worse than another. It will be avaliable in the in-game store for real money. Purely cosmetic item.

Sure is a lot of bitching on the GW2Guru forums about this. I'll reserve my judgement until I see the cost of it.

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by arenasb

Sure is a lot of bitching on the GW2Guru forums about this. I'll reserve my judgement until I see the cost of it.

+1 for this as well. 

If it's cheap (say like a $.99 iphone app) than I would be more than happy to pay for it. But if it turn's into like a blizzard greed fest and they try to charge like $15 for one stone which would only change 1 item's stats..... assuming a 5 piece set... i'm not spending $75 dollars for cosmetics... 

And then again that's just me.

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Hepisodic

+1 for this as well. 

If it's cheap (say like a $.99 iphone app) than I would be more than happy to pay for it. But if it turn's into like a blizzard greed fest and they try to charge like $15 for one stone which would only change 1 item's stats..... assuming a 5 piece set... i'm not spending $75 dollars for cosmetics... 

And then again that's just me.

I think any company is making a smart move by adding small "app sized fees" to vanity items in MMOs. It's not essential but as a player if you really enjoy this creation, then you might want to deck out your avatar with some cosmetic changes, it's understandable that pricing models are hybrid and this is something company's can exploit for lack of a better word. It is business as well as entertainment people who overly quibble about such things. Besides, a few small charges is the same as a few mars bars these days! Save on the sugar but don't save on the sugar-coating!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • draussdrauss Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by cinos

They need to make money some how.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. So long as they stay clear of the 'buy-to-win' model it's all good. :)

+1

Agreed its cosmetic only. I appreciate that people don't like to pay but this is ridiculous whinging on GW2Guru.

Aion lets you transfer armor stats but you pay for that each month..

Don't like it.. Don't pay... Don't complain... Its not rocket science...

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

I frequent the GW2Guru forums quite often (10-20x a day :p) and the whining and Q Q ing over there is just ridiculous. We all knew there would be certain things in the cash shop.  And who is to say that someone can not buy this item then trade it in the auction house for game money? (Would be interesting)

Anyways, I don't really see myself needing this stone at all considering there are Soooo many armor styles in the game, I'm sure I'll find plenty I like.  Stats and look.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by KillHurt

Love the look of the armor concepts they posted. I can only grow more and more eager for this game. 

Help us Guild Wars 2, you're our only hope.

Your new hope is waiting just around the corner. It always did and you know it....

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by drauss

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. So long as they stay clear of the 'buy-to-win' model it's all good. :)

+1

Agreed its cosmetic only. I appreciate that people don't like to pay but this is ridiculous whinging on GW2Guru.

Going to have to agree here, it's purely a fluff item with no impact on the game what so ever. Complaining over this is like complaining about your friend paying some extra cash to get a red laptop when you just got the stock grey/black one even though they are the same exact laptop lol. 

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

+1

Going to have to agree here, it's purely a fluff item with no impact on the game what so ever. Complaining over this is like complaining about your friend paying some extra cash to get a red laptop when you just got the stock grey/black one even though they are the same exact laptop lol. 

The thing is, most on GW2Guru are GW1 veterans where people can already take stats of one item and put it another one without needing to use any in-game shop. And now you have to pay real money to do the same thing and that's why it's boiling on those forums.

For now I don't know what to think of this.. need more info on high-end gear.

Eat me!

Originally posted by CookieTime

+1

The thing is, most on GW2Guru are GW1 veterans where people can already take stats of one item and put it another one without needing to use any in-game shop. And now you have to pay real money to do the same thing and that's why it's boiling on those forums.

For now I don't know what to think of this.. need more info on high-end gear.

lol.... doesn't matter why they are complaining about it. The fact is that it is 100% fluff, it has zero impact on game play. Complaining about paying for fluff is simply asinine no matter what your reasoning behind it is. 

Would they rather have the fluff for free and pay a monthly fee for the game?

Would they rather Anet go the free to play route where game breaking items are stuck on an item mall and the game is designed in a way that forces you to use the item mall?

Or would they rather pay for little fluff items like this that have zero impact on the game but are still appealing?

I mean, I guess they have a right to complain.... but ..... to me this just seems like something asinine to complain about lol . 

But right now, I've seen people attempting to complain about less in regards to GW2 and it's because there seems to be an extreme lack of things to complain about in regards to GW2 lol. 

Edited to Add: BTW I'm a GW1 vet as well and I still play lol. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

i think what makes people upset , at least thats my case, is not that you have to pay for something cosmetical. It is that it looks so good that it's going to be hard for me not to want to do it.

And that leads me to my next little worry. If its everytime i find a better armour piece i have to pay for a transmutation to keep a look, then i fear i have to pay to many times (i can't imagine getting to few god items !). Then i would prefer a unlock system where an item is payed for to be unlucked as the visual part and then is free to mix with every atrribute item later found.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

RMT is the epitome of a degraded community, in my opinion. Have fun in your item mall.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Palebane

RMT is the epitome of a degraded community, in my opinion. Have fun in your item mall.

Yeah, glad Anet doesn't have an item mall. I can't stand them myself. Selling services and fluff items like normal pay to play MMO's is fine with me especially since in this case there's no monthly fee. 

UO - Name changes, Lady bug lamps, extra storage etc. 

WoW - Name changes, vanity pets and etc. 

FFXI - Name changes, server transfers and etc. 

Glad to see Anet staying away from the item mall approach and are sticking to the fluff and services that pay to play's generally use.

Name changes, fluff items, gender changes, extra storage, extra char slots, etc. etc. etc. are a part of pretty much every pay to play MMO and have been since they've been around. Don't confuse fluff and services with an actual item mall :) 

But in the end if you think that what Anet is doing is more than you can bare, my advice is to leave the MMO genre all together because Anet is actually on the lighter side than most Pay to Plays :) 

I mean seriously $25 for a celestial mount in WoW lol!

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Yeah, it didn't take much to put some of the folks there into a self-righteous tizzy.  It will be interesting to see how ANet responds to what's really the first negative feedback they've received.  Predictably, it's focused on the item shop.

• DutchSmurfDutchSmurf Member CommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by Unlight

Yeah, it didn't take much to put some of the folks there into a self-righteous tizzy.  It will be interesting to see how ANet responds to what's really the first negative feedback they've received.  Predictably, it's focused on the item shop.

It isn't the first time. Just like all other communities, people often overreact. Like there were negative comments about the graphics in the first gameplay trailer, the people not liking the health bal, the energy potion and lots of others. But as negative as they are now, when the next article comes everyone will be happy again.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by DutchSmurf

Originally posted by Unlight

It isn't the first time. Just like all other communities, people often overreact. Like there were negative comments about the graphics in the first gameplay trailer, the people not liking the health bal, the energy potion and lots of others. But as negative as they are now, when the next article comes everyone will be happy again.

Fact is, there's so little to complain about people are grasping at straws. Rarely does something "too good to be true" prove to be so, hance the need for cynicism.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

People should not talk about things as if they understood what's going on.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Yeah, glad Anet doesn't have an item mall. I can't stand them myself. Selling services and fluff items like normal pay to play MMO's is fine with me especially since in this case there's no monthly fee. 

UO - Name changes, Lady bug lamps, extra storage etc. 

WoW - Name changes, vanity pets and etc. 

FFXI - Name changes, server transfers and etc. 

Glad to see Anet staying away from the item mall approach and are sticking to the fluff and services that pay to play's generally use.

Name changes, fluff items, gender changes, extra storage, extra char slots, etc. etc. etc. are a part of pretty much every pay to play MMO and have been since they've been around. Don't confuse fluff and services with an actual item mall :) 

But in the end if you think that what Anet is doing is more than you can bare, my advice is to leave the MMO genre all together because Anet is actually on the lighter side than most Pay to Plays :) 

I mean seriously $25 for a celestial mount in WoW lol!

I'm with you on this one and I'm finding the speculative crying about it annoying. Play most sub models and you pay for services and fluff, play any F2P model and you pay to play, both are more expensive than the B2P model that Anet offers at the moment and unless Anet decide to seriously overcharge for these items I don't see that changing.

A game that looks to be comparable to any sub based AAA game but with only the box price to pay gets more leniency from me on what its item shop contains. I trust Anet on this one, I'll eat humble pie and drink my cup of anger if they prove me wrong, until that time I'll keep an optimistic open mind .

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by jondifool

i think what makes people upset , at least thats my case, is not that you have to pay for something cosmetical. It is that it looks so good that it's going to be hard for me not to want to do it.

And that leads me to my next little worry. If its everytime i find a better armour piece i have to pay for a transmutation to keep a look, then i fear i have to pay to many times (i can't imagine getting to few god items !). Then i would prefer a unlock system where an item is payed for to be unlucked as the visual part and then is free to mix with every atrribute item later found.

Posted from what he said in his blog regarding "find that it’s nearly impossible to collect a full set of them before I’ve surpassed the intended level range for the gear"

They have a system where a crafter can make an upgrade component for your armor that can add to a free slot, thus making that armor more useful, extending the life of that armor. So i don't think you will need to pay to keep the look of your armor as often as you might think. Besides, i'm sure there are plenty of visually appealing armor sets (one set for every dungeon at the very least) and you probably might not even want to keep that look forever.

Archlinux ftw

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by jondifool

The biggest issue here is  we don't know the details on how anet is going to implement the Tstones into the store.  I saw an interesting post on the GW2Guru forums from someone that has some sense in all this:

1 Tstone (good for a whole set w/ weapon) = $3

5 Tstones (good for 5 whole sets w/ weapon) = $12

Unlimited Tstone (good for unlimited sets w/ weapon) = $30

This would cater to both the casual players that may only transmutate their armor once or twice as well as to people who want to transmutate their armor often.

Either way I'm not concerned in the least.  It's not something you HAVE to buy and, for me, I'll likely not use it until I get into the max level range.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by BigDave7481

Either way I'm not concerned in the least.  It's not something you HAVE to buy and, for me, I'll likely not use it until I get into the max level range.

Offcause its not something we have to buy! That is as i say not the problem , the problem is that we might want to use it anyway.

And while it might work for you to wait for max lvl range , it might not work for others , me as exsample.

i am mostly an altoholic, meaning that when my characters reach end game , they are close to retired.

i do exspect to find and exchange armour alot of times in this game from lvl 1-80.

But if i have to go to a cash shop every time that happend to keep my preffered visuel look, then i am going to visit a cash shop more than i like. I will properly not use that option then. Because it's kind of pointless to pay to prolong an items use if its not lasting for a long time.

But instead if I just once can pay to unluck an item, and from now on that item kan freely be mixed/transmuted with any better stat item i aquire then i will feel its an option for my kind of play.

And while we don't know for  sure how the cash shop work yet, i for sure doesn't sound like its the last option in that interview.

• magestonemagestone Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by AmazingAvery                                                                                                                                                       ....All armor and weapons will have a free upgrade slot, so there will be lots of chances to use upgrades like this to tweak your gear’s statistics to your liking.

Well, what do they mean by free?  They said that items in their shop won't effect normal gameplay, didn't they?