Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness MMORPG unveiled - Gamespot Report

2»

Comments

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Hokie

Here someone took notes when CCP finally started talking about it.

This all may not be in the finale release of the game. But it does give you a very good idea of where CCP wants to go with the game mechanics.

I think you may have misunderstood that article you linked slightly.  Those bullet-points are not notes on information that CCP has released about the game but are notes on feedback from potential players as to styles and mechancis that they would like to see implemented.

A quote from the linked article:

"One of the panels at the Grand Masquerade offered players a chance to tell the devs what they wanted to see. I took notes like a diligent designer should, and here's the summary:"

However, he does go on to say at the end:

"It was a pretty exciting panel to be on, especially given that the goals of the players represented here are very much in accordance with the things we've been designing and iterating."

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Umm... I feel dumber after reading these replies.  More Vampires?  Based on Twilight or True Blood?  Try you just epic failed @ research...

The World of Darkness is the #2 Selling RPG world wide, right behind Dungeons and Dragons, and has held that spot for nearly 20 years...   It predates Buffy, Twilight, True Blood, and Anne Rice's movies. WOD is a dark and gritty setting, and if they stay true to the source material, it will be rated M, but should actually be pushed into the AO realm IMO...  Source materials for this setting include the works of Bram Stoker and Edgar Allen Poe.  This ain't true blood or Twilight.  These are the monster vampires that would eat the Cullen group for breakfast...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Torluk

This all may not be in the finale release of the game. But it does give you a very good idea of where CCP wants to go with the game mechanics.

I think you may have misunderstood that article you linked slightly.  Those bullet-points are not notes on information that CCP has released about the game but are notes on feedback from potential players as to styles and mechancis that they would like to see implemented.

"One of the panels at the Grand Masquerade offered players a chance to tell the devs what they wanted to see. I took notes like a diligent designer should, and here's the summary:"

"It was a pretty exciting panel to be on, especially given that the goals of the players represented here are very much in accordance with the things we've been designing and iterating."

Yeah, I'm just mostly bad at writing.

To quote myself-

"But it does give you a very good idea of where CCP wants to go with the game mechanics."

Should have said it more like-

"But it does give you a very good idea of how open CCP are to different game mechanics."

Alot of the bullet points do seem to contradict themselves. But I do like how CCP are open to fan ideas. And some of them are innovative and fresh, I'd love to see them in a game.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

If that list of things is something to go by WoD MMO will be an apsolute blast. Also, playable Sabbath... hell yeah.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Torluk

Yeah, I'm just mostly bad at writing.

To quote myself-

"But it does give you a very good idea of where CCP wants to go with the game mechanics."

Should have said it more like-

"But it does give you a very good idea of how open CCP are to different game mechanics."

Alot of the bullet points do seem to contradict themselves. But I do like how CCP are open to fan ideas. And some of them are innovative and fresh, I'd love to see them in a game.

When you said "CCP finally started talking about it" I read that to imply that it was something said by CCP rather than to CCP.  That's where my confusion arose and I wanted to make sure other readers didn't make the same mistake I had made the first time I read your post.

Many thanks for the link though, interesting reading.

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

I'm kinda bummed it'll be OWoD and not NWoD.

Only things I think The Masquerade had over Requiem was the Camarilla and the first vamp was Cain and not Dracula. 

Pretty much everything else had a good place in NWoD.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by deftskulk

Only things I think The Masquerade had over Requiem was the Camarilla and the first vamp was Cain and not Dracula. 

Different tastes but I personally found requirem very generic and uninspired. The clans in requirem just seemed like they were an attempt at reinvention then their own acutal thoughts. There was so much more history and personality in the old world of darkness in my personal opinion. I really wish they would also make an exalted mmorpg.

if Lasombra are available at launch I'm sold...

• MysticshamanMysticshaman Member Posts: 72

Someone said something about class balance?  i think that won't be too much of an issue.  I think  one-your clan will determine your basic template, but it'll be skills chosen by the player ultimately, just like the PnP.  I'm hoping for either open world pvp or "hot zones" through the city (cities).  I for one can't wait for it, and then Werewolves after, I play a werewolf or Bastet whenever i get the chance to play (or did).  The IP has HUGE possibilities, and I think this just may be what a lot of people are looking for... a far cry from wow, and the like.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I do like the NWOD Vampire better, but you picked two things I did not like about OWOD, lol...

in OWOD, I liked the Sabbat, and I also liked the Tzimisce and Lasombra clans..

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Originally posted by Abangyarudo

Different tastes but I personally found requirem very generic and uninspired. The clans in requirem just seemed like they were an attempt at reinvention then their own acutal thoughts. There was so much more history and personality in the old world of darkness in my personal opinion.

I agree with you, but on the other hand, the new World of Darkness, like the fourth edition of Dungeons & Dragons, seems like it was made to be transmuted into a video game, and to that extent, seems like it would be better suited to an MMO, wouldn't you say?

Though perhaps that is only to say that it would be easier to turn it into an MMO, and not necessarily better. I suppose it's likely that CCP found the challenge attractive.

Eh? Dracula was not the first in Requiem. Not even the Ordo Dracul believes that.

Vampiric history stretches back at least to Rome, as evidenced by the existence of the Camarilla at that time. Not to mention that the Lancea Sanctum, Invictus, and the Circle of the Crone, at the least, are all demonstrably from long before the 15th Century. Hell, clan Mekhet comes from ancient Egypt....

I do miss the Caine myth, though, I'm with you on that. The Longinus myth is not nearly as powerful or deliciously flexible.

Favorites: EQEVETOR | Playing: No MMOs since 2014. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon