Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your biggest concern about TOR?

I just started this thread to hear some of the main concerns players have about this title. Is it the story, the style (themepark), IP, issues surrounding the IP, or something else? Please share any and all below.

I'll start: For me it's the amount of content they will be able to deliver by launch. Sure they seem to have tons of content per class choice. My concern is in regard to the amount of content outside of these quests/stories. As well as the rate in which they will be able to introduce new archs and/or content. Considering they plan for a fully voiced game, this could slow down the rate in which new content is introduced.

I'm wondering how they plan to go about doing this. Do they already have hours upon hours of recorded dialogue to use later? Will they need to record all of this dialogue while developing the content?

While a lack of end-game content around launch, wouldn't send me over the edge in a fit of rage (I'm sure I'd enjoy the ride). I would like to find an MMO that keeps me around longer than a few months.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

That the SW IP has been committed to a shallow, cartoonish game aimed at 10-16 year olds thereby blocking the creation of a good, sophisticated SW sandbox sim until the failure of this one.

• AspengladeAspenglade Member UncommonPosts: 48

My biggest concern is that if this iteration of the SW genre MMO fails, they might not make another one down the line to try to capture the magic.....

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

My actual biggest concern with the game is Voices. Not so much the other NPCs but my own. it's two parted actually.

The first part is will there be enough of a variety of chooses that i can make my character the way i want him/her to sound?

The second part is will the voice actors for my character be good, it's all well and good to have it all voiced but if my tough guy sith operative sounds like a 12 year old kid with a cold i'm not going to get into the game all that well.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by agaga

That the SW IP has been committed to a shallow, cartoonish game aimed at 10-30+++ year olds thereby blocking the creation of a good, sophisticated SW sandbox sim until the failure of this one.

Yeah that's the great thing about the Star wars I.P. It's time-less people of all ages tend to like it.

It would be nice to see another sandbox set in the SW Universe but I doubt that would happen regardless of TOR.

Originally posted by whilan

My actual biggest concern with the game is Voices. Not so much the other NPCs but my own. it's two parted actually.

The first part is will there be enough of a variety of chooses that i can make my character the way i want him/her to sound?

The second part is will the voice actors for my character be good, it's all well and good to have it all voiced but if my tough guy sith operative sounds like a 12 year old kid with a cold i'm not going to get into the game all that well.

Yeah, I completely agree with your concern. I know the voice of Bastilla and the female Shepard is the female trooper (Jennifer Hale?). I hope that doesn't mean she's the only one doing it, as that would mean everyone of the same class will have the same exact voice. Which would be pretty lame IMO.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

My biggest worry is if this game turns out well I might get stuck ont he same server as the loud complainers here woh have judged the game based on a hnadful of facts and a deathstar sized load of wild speculation.If it turns out bad thne it won't matter coz I won't be on any server 8D.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Content I don't worry about, I'm actually of the opinion from all the remarks and statements made that SW:TOR will outdo all of the MMO's as they were at their launch.

Expansions and updates, that's going to be interesting: what if they expand upon certain storylines, will they be able to hire the exact same voice actors or do they suddenly need to hire another actor, thus breaking consistency?

Besides that, I think that a SW:TOR quest takes more time to create than a WoW-style quest, in SW:TOR you need to take into account the animation and voice acting work for it. This leads any follow up updates and expansions taking a lot more time than the relatively simple textbased quests in current MMO's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

That it won't release in the next couple months. I want it now!  I am sure it will do well. As I've said Bioware has a string of hits going and even if it's just a reskinned WoW (which I doubt anyway) there really isn't much to be concerned about.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I just hope it comes out as advertised and people like it.

We've had far too many half-complete flops over the last few years.  I don't expect that from bioware, but hope it doesn't happen.

It makes the MMO industry look bad.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by cyphers

Content I don't worry about, I'm actually of the opinion from all the remarks and statements made that SW:TOR will outdo all of the MMO's as they were at their launch.

Expansions and updates, that's going to be interesting: what if they expand upon certain storylines, will they be able to hire the exact same voice actors or do they suddenly need to hire another actor, thus breaking consistency?

Besides that, I think that a SW:TOR quest takes more time to create than a WoW-style quest, in SW:TOR you need to take into account the animation and voice acting work for it. This leads any follow up updates and expansions taking a lot more time than the relatively simple textbased quests in current MMO's.

That's definitely something I see as a possible off moment for the game. IF Capt. Smith at one moment sounds like Christian Bale's Batman, only to later sound like Seinfeld that would be as off putting as you can get.

I'm sure you're right about that, as there's a lot more to account for as well as smooth out. Meaning post launch development could be slower than your average MMO.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

My biggest worry is that it will turn into another epeen circle jerk like wow raiding. I can live with it not being a sandbox because at this point I lack the faith in the mmo community to think a sandbox game would be anything other than an epeen circlejerk gankfest. I just don't think a sand box game will workk with today's mmo players too much me and not enough we. In my opinion instead of being like UO with maybe 10-15% jerk offs and everyone else decent people the mmo community now is 10-15% decent and the rest oxygen thieves and we all know who they are.

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

I have a mild concern that the force users will be OP in group play, and pvp. Then again if they are not OP, egos will be popping like bubble wrap under the stomping feet of a 4 year old, with a tsunami of rage quitting to follow. Game looks great for solo play, with the personal story, but I am unsure (uninformed maybe) regarding group play, and end game fun factor.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

My biggest concern is a lack of "end game" stuff to do. I'm not an alt-oholic - I prefer to play one toon for years. Decorating, collecting, exploring, flying, crafting, hunting...all things I see that may be lacking in SW:ToR.

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

That the game is a single player RPG with multi player elements.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Story will take prominence and gameplay will be secondary resulting in poor combat and simplistic, unchallenging, rinsenrepeat grinding.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

My biggest concern is the payment method. I hope their possible cash shop only contains a bit of fluff besides P2P, and I don´t need to buy a monthly questline to fully enjoy the game.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by furidiam

That the game is a single player RPG with multi player elements.

For me that is the game's biggest plus.    My main concern is that the endgame will be like Wow, where you can solo til the end, then group up or give up.    I'm hoping for soloable endgame content.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Story will take prominence and gameplay will be secondary resulting in poor combat and simplistic, unchallenging, rinsenrepeat grinding.

Hell yeah. Number one reason why i am so eager for this game.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I'm all for a great story and lore in mmo's but not over and above the game itself, I can always read a book if all I cared about was the story.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I'm all for a great story and lore in mmo's but not over and above the game itself, I can always read a book if all I cared about was the story.

For me, story is the best part.   I can remember a few difficult SP games I played where for a while I switched to God mode so that I could see the next part of the story.    Basically, actually playing the game got in the way of enjoying the story the game was telling.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by agaga

That the SW IP has been committed to a shallow, cartoonish game aimed at 10-16 year olds thereby blocking the creation of a good, sophisticated SW sandbox sim until the failure of this one.

There will probably never be another SW sandbox game regardless of what happens with TOR, so I don't think its fair to take that out on Bioware.

Personally, my only real concern has been the companion characters. I don't like the idea of seeing the same companions running around for each player of a certain class. I wish there was a way to customize name and physical appearance for these characters as I think it will break immersion to see copies of the same characters all over the place. Still, it definitely isn't a game-breaker for me.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Would be pvp related.  Will there be open world pvp? Will there be plenty of it, will it be fun?

Ok, but I really don't sit up and worry about it, because I can't control it and it's just a game. I'll buy it, if I like it I will continue to sub it.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Not enough cowbell!

In Bioware we trust!