Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In serach of a new MMO!

VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Heya all,

I'm in search of a new MMO to play, I've been m essing around in MMO's for around 11-12 years, I've played Everquest, Everquest 2, Horizons, Vanguard, World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons Online.

I loved EQ and still love it (I've just canceled my subscriptions after 11 years) so far the only MMO that came close to being as good is Vanguard but a lack of players killed it for me, the only reason I've stopped playing EQ is again due to a lack of players as sadly the game is slowly dying (at long last).

So I'm looking for a new game to play, anyone got any decent suggestions or mini reviews?

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
― Terry PratchettMaking Money

Comments

• LusivLusiv Member UncommonPosts: 6

I've been on the search for a decent mmo for ever now! at least a year. Even though i have a vindictus beta key i couldnt play it because im in australia i believe so that one was out of the question. i have played all decent mmorpg's known to man and nothing is that good atm. i used to play lineage II then i played WoW and then every other game and nothing can compare.

I am waiting for Tera Online now but thats still a long way coming.

The closest thing to a good mmorpg is runes of magic for me but even that is still far which is why i stopped playing it.

but i will keep my eye on this post hoping someone will bring up a good mmo that i  havent tried yet.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

MO

Seriously though, it might be an idea to give people some hint's as to what kind of mmo you are looking for aside from just listing your previous games.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

yeh thats true, but i think most people are looking for a good overall game not just a certain style. why isnt there a game with good graphics good stability and skill tree and good pvp and pve content. which is what im guessing 99% of the people are looking for.

World of Warcraft for me was the one of the most stable and rich in content game ive played hence why it is a 20+gb game. the only reason i stopped playing it was its a little old i wanted a more recent game and tera online looks decent.

so well i guess i can say im looking for a game with great pvp and great pve content and great graphics. no runescape bull.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Personally I go for sandbox games and whilst I can recommend a few I would hesitate to guess that they are probably not what you are looking for.

Games that are themepark-ish in style and polish like WoW that have great pvp and pve are shall we say, thin on the ground, perhaps you are best waiting for GW2/Rift/Terra or TOR.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Games I basically want to play are like Everquest and Vanguard, WoW came close but lost out in the end game, DDO is fun atm but I think again endgame will make it suck unless I find a very good guild.

I used to love EQ raiding, and was in a high end raid guild most of my EQ life, so thats something I miss alot.

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • SuorySuory Member Posts: 90

Has much has I hate to say it, you might end up like a lot of "older" MMO gamers who are searching for a new MMO. They never find one because most of the games out now do not appeal to the "older" gamer. You might be in a constant search for a new game and lurking the fourms once in a blue moon.  Also, the games that you do try will not have "that" feeling, so you will always be searching for that elusive game. 

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Tryout UWO the servers are coming online 3hrs from this post! 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by vorpal28

Heya all,

I'm in search of a new MMO to play, I've been m essing around in MMO's for around 11-12 years, I've played Everquest, Everquest 2, Horizons, Vanguard, World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons Online.

I loved EQ and still love it (I've just canceled my subscriptions after 11 years) so far the only MMO that came close to being as good is Vanguard but a lack of players killed it for me, the only reason I've stopped playing EQ is again due to a lack of players as sadly the game is slowly dying (at long last).

So I'm looking for a new game to play, anyone got any decent suggestions or mini reviews?

I can only recommend those games I played and liked.   LOTRO, which just went to a free to play/sub combo, might be good for you. I enjoyed it alot. Play for free to see if you like it, then sub if you do - the pay for missions and level caps etc is a bit much in my opinion. Use the FTP option as a trial, if you don't like it nothing is lost.

Age of Conan was not bad after they fixed some of the launch problems.

EVE, which I am playing now is great but it is sandbox and requires an active imagination to fully appreciate(in my honest opinion - please note I am not saying that those who do not like EVE have no imagination, just that it does not hold your hand or give you a path to follow so that you do have to use your imagination).

The original Guild Wars is an ok game, though there is some argument over whther or not it is a true mmo.  I just did the trial and there is still a community in Prophecies(the original) and in Nightfall from what I hear.  The nice part is you pay for the game and/or it's expansions there is no monthly fee afterwards.

The city of X games are also ok, and I always have fun when I resub to City of Villains. 

I would not go back to EQ2 or EQ and have always found WoW to be an online kindergarden(again this is just my opinion) so I cannot recommend them.  From what I hear Darkfall has elements of my old favorite game - Shadowbane, so perhaps it is in my future.  

If you want a good game with a great community, and do not mind it's sandbox nature and steep learning curve I would say go for EVE.  Good luck in your search.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've heard that Ryzom is a refreshingly different change of pace from mainstream.

One that impressed me, mostly because it was surrounded by haters at release... and all of a sudden the hater noise seems to have stopped... is Fallen Earth.

GL on your search.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by DuaLz

I've been on the search for a decent mmo for ever now! at least a year. Even though i have a vindictus beta key i couldnt play it because im in australia i believe so that one was out of the question. i have played all decent mmorpg's known to man and nothing is that good atm. i used to play lineage II then i played WoW and then every other game and nothing can compare.

I am waiting for Tera Online now but thats still a long way coming.

The closest thing to a good mmorpg is runes of magic for me but even that is still far which is why i stopped playing it.

but i will keep my eye on this post hoping someone will bring up a good mmo that i  havent tried yet.

The reason nothing can compare is because that was your first "love", in mmorpgs atleast.  Nothing will ever compare. Your first serious mmorpg will forever affect your play style.  That is why WoW will forever strongly effect every mmorpg coming out in the next 15 years.

yeh i think your right but i have high hopes for tera online and guild wars 2, see i like FF14 but them not having pvp to me is like playing a single player game. they should have at least implemented it in even the smallest way but yeh something similar to it i think i will be more then happy :)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

You could try Ryzom - it has a 21-day free trial and is very atmospheric and interesting crafting/rp

http://www.ryzom.com

Who is Ryzom for?

http://www.vimeo.com/ryzom

(Especially vidz 3,4 & 10 for atmosphere)

yeh i just downloaded it, im about to give it a go now looks interesting :)