Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion: Consignment House

robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

What is a consignment house?  It is, in essence, a reverse Auction House.

In a normal AH, a person puts up an item for sale, and the first person who comes along can buy it, putting money up for the purchase, that, or an actual bidding process is done and the high bidder wins.

A consignment house would work in the exact opposite direction.  Players would go to an CH and place up a request for a need, along with the price they are willing to pay for it.  Then they deposite the money into the CH.  Then the first AH who can put up the required good can claim the money, and the item is delivered.

Such an Item can also be used to set up a perpetual buy order.  Crafters who have never ending needs for crystals can put up a perpetual buy order for crystals, along with a price per crystal, and then put up a sum of money for purchasing.  So long as that money remains available, that order will stay up.  

It is not necessary to tie a name to the Consignment order, but it would be a possible thing to do.

What do you think?

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Comments

• KxianiKxiani Member Posts: 70

Hmm ... but why not just an AH then?

I mean, my understanding is that the reason given for not having an AH is because advanced crafting guilds and gold sellers manipulate it by setting prices.  In your scenario, they would just buy everything up and then resell it at a manipulated price. 

Talk to me.

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Kxiani

Hmm ... but why not just an AH then?

I mean, my understanding is that the reason given for not having an AH is because advanced crafting guilds and gold sellers manipulate it by setting prices.  In your scenario, they would just buy everything up and then resell it at a manipulated price. 

Talk to me.

Nah.

At a consignment house, the best that crafting guilds/gold sellers could do is refuse to patronize people offering too low of a price.

A consignment house is the reverse of the AH.  Instead of the seller offering up his merchandise, it is the buyer who is basically putting up an ad.  The buyers are in much more control of the prices than the sellers.  The sellers can't set absurd prices in a consignment house.  The best they can do is focus their attention on those offering the highest prices.  

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

No, because in this suggestion the market price is set by the buyer not the seller. Sure, they can set buy orders with really high prices and buy everything out, shorting the market of goods, but they can only resell them to peopel for what they are willing to buy at. Basiclaly would mean they end up with a stockpile of goods they over payed for and can only sell for a loss.

Personally a buyer set market is not exactly a bad thing. If they are dead set on an AH in FFXIV I'ld actually prefer this model over the seller set market you see in other games. AT least this way if someone says they will buy my sword thats worth 10k for 1k , I can just laugh at him and move on and his 1k can sit there forever until someone feels charitable. In a seller market I would have to pay him 10k for his 1k sword.

This kind of global service combined with the already in game retainer system would actually turn out pretty good. Use the Consignment 'Buyer' market and if someone is willing to sell to you for your price you get it for your price, and use the retainers for the 'Sellers' market to sell your own good at the price you want. This combination would give both sides to the issue, and keep a rather stabel economy.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• FlynniganFlynnigan Member Posts: 54

I dont know.

In the end, you are going to have those specific certain ppl from the same guild stock piling items for crafting at a sky rocketed price, rushing to up the price to get their hands on as much product as possible.

These kinds of ppl can greatly alter the prices. Or ruin the price.

With this kind of system in place all it would take is one person to be smart enough to play the "supply and demand" logic of selling to up or lower the price. 

A player goes after item X, pays 1k a piece for it, when everyone else pays 500. Everyones going to sell to the higher offer.

Forcing everyone to up their price, making the well off individual to once again raise his price. Eventually we get to item X being now worth 5k, and the individual who raised the price in the first place is now done crafting needing this item, so he moves on.

The item everyone was after is now high in abundance and ppl r stuck paying a certain price, because whose going to lower their price? No one will lower the price, because they want the item too.

All it would take is another person to come along, and up the price again to get some more and the economy prices raise once again.

Thats too much control for the playerbase. 

Unless you had a different vision of running it?

A game is just that... a game, not an emotional crutch.

• warrner10warrner10 Member Posts: 18

This isnt too bad an idea. It works fantastic in City of Heroes.  It works in a secret bid format tho, meaning seller nor buyers can see what the other is offering. If the item dosent have a buy/sell history yet, the the buyer/seller can only gamble on what they will offer. If said item has a history they one can use that to base their offer on. If there are bids for a item b4 it gets to the auction, then the highest bidder get the loot. On the other hand, if there are multi items up for sale at diff prices, buyers will nail the item that falls on the bid or just under.

• warrner10warrner10 Member Posts: 18

And CoH player base is mature and knowledgeable enough that most of everything in there is fairly priced.

Originally posted by warrner10

This isnt too bad an idea. It works fantastic in City of Heroes.  It works in a secret bid format tho, meaning seller nor buyers can see what the other is offering. If the item dosent have a buy/sell history yet, the the buyer/seller can only gamble on what they will offer. If said item has a history they one can use that to base their offer on. If there are bids for a item b4 it gets to the auction, then the highest bidder get the loot. On the other hand, if there are multi items up for sale at diff prices, buyers will nail the item that falls on the bid or just under.

Thanks

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

sounds like a good deal to me.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

the ffxiv markets remind me alot of the EQ1 bazaar  BUT the eq1 bazaar had a search ui window.

ffxiv need the same thing. just to be able to search through all the retainers for what you want and maybe a waypoint minimpa arrow to where they are standing. no buying through the ui just search   /sigh

example of eq1 bazaar search window

Originally posted by TribeofOne

the ffxiv markets remind me alot of the EQ1 bazaar  BUT the eq1 bazaar had a search ui window.

ffxiv need the same thing. just to be able to search through all the retainers for what you want and maybe a waypoint minimpa arrow to where they are standing. no buying through the ui just search   /sigh

Ok, so what does this have to do with the idea of a consignment house?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by robert4818

Originally posted by TribeofOne

Ok, so what does this have to do with the idea of a consignment house?

its a better idea than a consigment house and more in keeping with what SE is trying to do.