Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this best played with a gamepad ?

Now that the standard edtion is now up for sale, was thinking of picking it up, i'm wondering is this game best played with a gamepad ?

Comments

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

It's quite comfortable on gamepad, but that doesn't mean you can't play it with mouse and keyboard.   Especially now that hardware mouse support has been added, that's become a pretty comfortable thing.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

You can play with a keyboard and mouse comfortably (it took me about two days to get used to it), but I find that the interface is second nature when using a gamepad.

<3

• nukedudenukedude Member Posts: 101

I play with a gamepad, and when you set your controls in a way that it feels like playing a console game, it is very enjoyable. Sometimes tho, there is a slight lag on the menus which makes it a bit like playing a slow game...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Final Fantasy games are based on console, and IMO you'd best play them with a gamepad, or a mouse with a zillion buttons :D

[EDIT]

Speaking of a zillion button mouse... Anyone tried FFXI or FFXIV with a Logitech G13 "keyboard"? 

• VucinaVucina Member Posts: 42

I have G15 but played on controller in open beta :P Ill try to set up macros on G keys when my copy arrives.

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105

gamepad is way better but it's playable with keyboard+mouse too

• LureeiLureei Member UncommonPosts: 31

keyboard + mouse is superior but be my guest if you want to scroll though everything to get anywhere

• kenedakeneda Member UncommonPosts: 52

I play with mouse and keyboard and it works just fine by me , you dont really need a Gamepad.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Try the keyboard and mouse for a week, if your still having trouble with it after that, then go ahead and buy the gamepad.

The gamepad is not necessary, and I find personally less useful to the keyboard.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I play with a gamepad and sometimes use the mouse and keyboard to do some things if it is easier to do it that way.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• OndruOndru Member Posts: 2

A somewhat-but-barely-related question: can you switch the Y-axis on the camera? It's one of those quirky things, but I've never been able to get used to pushing the mouse forward to look up. image

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Ondru

A somewhat-but-barely-related question: can you switch the Y-axis on the camera? It's one of those quirky things, but I've never been able to get used to pushing the mouse forward to look up. image

Yes you can change to inverted. I learned how to use normal playing Oblivion, and now ill never go back to inverted, which I think was the default for alot of rpgs I used to play.

My bad, it was inFamous that I had to learn normal for, because inverted was too much for me in that game. And then in Oblivion I found that rpgs were also a lot better in normal.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

I hope this gets read, I played FFXI for a good part of 4 years and i used only a keyboard, no mouse i was wondering if anyone else did this and is it viable in FFXIV?

Id really like to chat and play at the same time and using to a gamepad doesn't sound very appealing for an MMO to me, since i try not to use vent unless in a raid or something.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Mageick

I hope this gets read, I played FFXI for a good part of 4 years and i used only a keyboard, no mouse i was wondering if anyone else did this and is it viable in FFXIV?

Id really like to chat and play at the same time and using to a gamepad doesn't sound very appealing for an MMO to me, since i try not to use vent unless in a raid or something.

I play using just the keyboard if I'm doing a lot of chatting.

However, I haven't tried combat using just the keyboard, so I can't vouch for how fluid it will be. However, given how the game controls are set up, I think it should be just as viable as keyboard/mouse or gamepad play.

<3