Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game going to fail?

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by vboydjr

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Aguitha

A little over a year ago there was only 1 super hero theme game, City of heroes and it was quiet good.   Last year Champion Online was released and it did rather poorly.   Now we have DC Universe coming and Super Heroes Squad Online.   I think the market is getting saturated with Super Heroes MMO's.   Unless these last 2 do brand new stuff we never see before i dont see how they could become succcesful and detrone COH from the top seat.

CO>>COH, at least champions is fun to play and decent loking.

Ok I have played CoH and CO and I do not personally believe CO to be fun to play maybe more decent looking compared to a game that had been out 4+years before CO came out but CO is not as fun to play IMHO as CoH.

Agreed.  About the only things positive in CO were the increased variety of travel powers, and the animations.  Some of the area themes I liked, like the ghost town, for example.  But everything else went backwards.  Annoying AI that piles on while you're trying to get from one place to another, yet isn't challenging, and dull to stay and battle with.

Every time they have a free weekend I load it up, thinking about how it'll be great to create a new character and costume, and then I start playing the game and re-realize how completely unpleasant it is to actually PLAY. 

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

OP the fact that SOE are behind it should answer your question.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

How does that answer the question?

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

You're kidding me right?

You're kidding me right?

You seem to be the one kidding.  How does that answer the question?  Go into detail explain your reasoning behind your response.

You're kidding me right?

You seem to be the one kidding.  How does that answer the question?  Go into detail explain your reasoning behind your response.

Anyone with any knowledge of the mmo industry knows that SOE has an awful track record with the one possible exception of EQ (which they have still managed to butcher). The OP even alluded to it himself.

SOE being in charge of a title means that it will more then likely either A) suck balls from the start, or B) start well then be pushed off a cliff as they try and gain more subs.

How have SOE managed the Star Wars and Matrix IP's?

So yes, to anyone with any insight into SOE's track record, it's pretty clear what I originally posted answered the question.

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by MrPobears

I just found out SoE was behind DCU, and well,  SoE = Death to games, outside EQ1 and 2, SoE has been a really crappy company when it comes to MMOs.  I'm too afraid of subbing when it comes out, but damn I want to be a Green Lantern.

god i love threads like this and the game hasnt even came out yet.  Well well all know what $OE did to SWG but im still playing that.

• given that it's something new in the way of MMOs and it caters to a new market and sony has had a decent track record when it comes to action games and console game and this is indeed an action and ps3/pc game (even if the pc version comes out first it is primarily designed with console in mind)  I'm hoping that it'll find a good niche and succeed at what it's trying because I want to see many more MMOARPGs

You're kidding me right?

Anyone with any knowledge of the mmo industry knows that SOE has an awful track record with the one possible exception of EQ (which they have still managed to butcher).

SOE being in charge of a title means that it will more then likely either A) suck balls from the start, or B) start well then be pushed off a cliff as they try and gain more subs.

So yes, to anyone with any insight into SOE's track record, it's pretty clear what I originally posted answered the question.

What is your insight?  You didn't really explain anything you just supported the "SOE is involved so it is going to be like the last games they released".  I tell you what.  Everyone has a company they hate and more MMO or supposed MMO players hate SOE for one reason or another despite the fact that the EQ and SWG are still ongoing games. 

Oh wow you brought up Matrix which by the way wasn't their game originally.  So many say well they made the game suck after they took over, but how was the game before they came along?  I played it and it sucked before they came along but they tried to save it anyway and couldn't.  Blame SOE for a game that sucked originally if you want to but at least they bought it.

So now DCUO is going to suck because SOE has their hands on it.  Have you played it?  Are you in beta?  Did you go to a con and playtest it?  Tell me your insight into how this game plays and how it will be compared to other games in the same genre?  Where is your might "Well anyone with MMO industry insight" at on those questions?

You're kidding me right?

Anyone with any knowledge of the mmo industry knows that SOE has an awful track record with the one possible exception of EQ (which they have still managed to butcher).

What is your insight?  You didn't really explain anything you just supported the "SOE is involved so it is going to be like the last games they released".  I tell you what.  Everyone has a company they hate and more MMO or supposed MMO players hate SOE for one reason or another despite the fact that the EQ and SWG are still ongoing games. 

Oh wow you brought up Matrix which by the way wasn't their game originally.  So many say well they made the game suck after they took over, but how was the game before they came along?  I played it and it sucked before they came along but they tried to save it anyway and couldn't.  Blame SOE for a game that sucked originally if you want to but at least they bought it.

So now DCUO is going to suck because SOE has their hands on it.  Have you played it?  Are you in beta?  Did you go to a con and playtest it?  Tell me your insight into how this game plays and how it will be compared to other games in the same genre?  Where is your might "Well anyone with MMO industry insight" at on those questions?

I really couldn't give two tits whether the game failed or succeeded frankly as it holds zip interest to me. The OP created a thread asking if the game would fail based on the fact that it was an SOE game. Given that SOE has a shite track record and a shite reputation in this industry I pointed out (bluntly) that given that track record it has a good chance of failing.

SWG may still be going, but it is limping, it's the cripple child of the mmo genre which people like to mock. That doesn't really bode well for SOE games in general now does it.

Based on the company alone i'm comfortable with my original prognosis, if SOE suddenly creates a great mmo and proves us all wrong, great. But I doubt that's going to happen.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by viditorum

Originally posted by Lonewolf

Bloody MMO players....stop worrying about whether it will fail before its even started, just buy it, play it and if you enjoy it then its not a fail in your eyes

Bravo well and simply said! I wish more folks would adopt this way of thinking. If they did I would be willing to bet there would be far less "this is another WOW clone" talk and more open minded evaluation of a new games overall quality.

For those who have a limited budget and have been burnt multiple times in the past by these so called MMORPGs, it's a valid question in my opinion.

If they have a limited budget them they don't need to playing multiple games. Much less p2p ones. So it's not a valid question if they rz poorz.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

You're kidding me right?

I really couldn't give two tits whether the game failed or succeeded frankly as it holds zip interest to me. The OP created a thread asking if the game would fail based on the fact that it was an SOE game. Given that SOE has a shite track record and a shite reputation in this industry I pointed out (bluntly) that given that track record it has a good chance of failing.

SWG may still be going, but it is limping, it's the cripple child of the mmo genre which people like to mock. That doesn't really bode well for SOE games in general now does it.

Based on the company alone i'm comfortable with my original prognosis, if SOE suddenly creates a great mmo and proves us all wrong, great. But I doubt that's going to happen.

Why are you even posting here if you do not care for the game?  You just hate SOE and want to bash them as much as you can.  WOW there is some real insight there isn't it?  If you want to bash SOE then just make a thread and bash them, but do not say a game is going to fail because you think they will make it fail with no actual FACTS  to support your argument.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

This game will not fail. It has Superman in it and you can't fail with him in it.

*Has a flashback to Superman 64*

OMG, it will fail!!!!!!!

Seriously, no one will know until the game releases.

BOOYAKA!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

You're kidding me right?

SOE is one of the top companies in the business right now.  They may not be well liked by the SWG crowd,  but  honestly,  thats just a small minority of the MMO playerbase.   They can make great games,  to that I have no doubt.  They were not responsible for what happened to MxO and Vanguard, but if you play Vanguard today, it is one of the best fantasy games on the market.

EQ2 is also a popular game, as is Free Realms.   SOE knows how to make games just as good as Funcom and NCSoft (NCsoft has actually closed MORE titles then SOE in shorter amounts of time.)    

Every company has its skeletons,  but that doesn't dictate what they can accomplish.  I'm not saying DCUO will generate 1 million players, but I will say that it has more than enough potential to be a successful game. 

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

I may just have to say yes, considering the game is out soon and they are being way to quiet about the games features and such compared to pretty much any mmo. I get the feeling its just a champions online clone, and we all know how well CO did XD. Plus SoE is behind it somewhat kinda kicks it down the gutter even more.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• highvoltahighvolta Member UncommonPosts: 130

Don’t know much information on the game yet. 

And its meant to be released next month or so..... Seems strange 

It looks very fun! so im going to give it a go :-)

You're kidding me right?

Why are you even posting here if you do not care for the game?  You just hate SOE and want to bash them as much as you can.  WOW there is some real insight there isn't it?  If you want to bash SOE then just make a thread and bash them, but do not say a game is going to fail because you think they will make it fail with no actual FACTS  to support your argument.

I don't hate SOE as that would be highly irrational, especially given the fact that I have no attachment to pre-NGE SWG that many of the companies detractors do. But I have played the game and as such I am fully aware with how bad they are at running an mmo (imo).

As for 'bashing' them, when someone makes a thread asking about the negative/positive effect a specfic company may have on a forthcoming title, I like everyone else, am entitled to reply.

Not being funny, but you can point out a companies track record without being a 'hater'. Their track record is there for all to see, one wonders why you are taking such umbrage with someone simply pointing it out..

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

The failure has already begun. This thread is evidence of that.

I just think it is funny everyone says "Well there is no info about the game".  There is plenty of info go look for yourself.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/

Oh and for those who hate that it  has links to facebook, you should realize how powerful social networking is right now and to not tap into that would be foolish.  Go to their facebook page where they post information and videos all the time about "INFO" on the game.

There is no info, did you really look?

Here is an old but interesting article showing how SOE manage their games and how they treat their customers.

And before you dismiss it as old or beating a dead horse etc, remember that DC, more or less, are run by the same people that was responsible for the NGE.

That’s indisputable fact.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

I just think it is funny everyone says "Well there is no info about the game".  There is plenty of info go look for yourself.

Oh and for those who hate that it  has links to facebook, you should realize how powerful social networking is right now and to not tap into that would be foolish.  Go to their facebook page where they post information and videos all the time about "INFO" on the game.

Are you being serious?   http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/overview.vm is the most detailed page on that site...it's a high level overview that hasn't changed in a year.  There are some generic videos that are typical of an MMO that is 9+ months from release.  There are some pretty screen shots, art, and you can download buddy icons or wallpaper.  

That's it.  Do you buy a car based on a picture and a high-level overview that basically says that it has 4 wheels, and engine, and looks cool?  In your case, I seriously wonder...

Originally posted by unbound55

Are you being serious?   http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/overview.vm is the most detailed page on that site...it's a high level overview that hasn't changed in a year.  There are some generic videos that are typical of an MMO that is 9+ months from release.  There are some pretty screen shots, art, and you can download buddy icons or wallpaper.  

That's it.  Do you buy a car based on a picture and a high-level overview that basically says that it has 4 wheels, and engine, and looks cool?  In your case, I seriously wonder...

Are you being serious? (I'm starting to see a theme in my responses)  Does one not test out the car before they buy if they are unsure of what it will be like under driving conditions?  If you are unsure about a game no matter what info is released is going to change that so wait for a trial and test it for yourself.  The info out there is out there and more will probably be released closer to release date just look at the videos (which by the way are updated quite often on their facebook page) and see what they have to say.

All I am saying is that there is info out about the game just not detailed info.  Maybe for those who want more info got more specific with what info they want then they could find that info instead of just saying there is no info.

Are you being serious? (I'm starting to see a theme in my responses)  Does one not test out the car before they buy if they are unsure of what it will be like under driving conditions?  If you are unsure about a game no matter what info is released is going to change that so wait for a trial and test it for yourself.  The info out there is out there and more will probably be released closer to release date just look at the videos (which by the way are updated quite often on their facebook page) and see what they have to say.

All I am saying is that there is info out about the game just not detailed info.  Maybe for those who want more info got more specific with what info they want then they could find that info instead of just saying there is no info.

I suppose you did not get the memo; SOE are famous for changing gears of their cars months and years after delivery.

Originally posted by Sandbox

I suppose you did not get the memo; SOE are famous for changing gears of their cars months and years after delivery.

Sigh and I suppose you've never owned a new car.  They often have recalls on car parts all the time.  SOE only made one drastic change to a game and that was SWG.  Every company makes changes to their games through the life of that game.

Originally posted by Sandbox

Sigh and I suppose you've never owned a new car.  They often have recalls on car parts all the time.  SOE only made one drastic change to a game and that was SWG.  Every company makes changes to their games through the life of that game.

And that’s OK with you?

If you announce that you are pleased with sub par treatment already before the game is released, that’s what you will get.

Have you been living under a rock or what…? "SOE only made one drastic change to a game”.

This discussion has been closed.