Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness MMORPG unveiled - Gamespot Report

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Hopefully more in-line with True-Blood then Twillight.image

But have to admit was hoping on more info unveiled due to this new topic made. Unfortunaly nothing more then what already been posted. But keeping a eye on the game, though not gonna over-hypemyself atleast for the next year perhaps even couple of years.image

• alltoreup21alltoreup21 Member Posts: 14

...more vampires? ech.

i give it six months.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by alltoreup21

...more vampires? ech.

i give it six months.

Because there are so many Vampire MMORPG's or even vampire pc/console games?, or because it seems to be the hype?

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Originally posted by Reklaw

Hopefully more in-line with True-Blood then Twillight.image

But have to admit was hoping on more info unveiled due to this new topic made. Unfortunaly nothing more then what already been posted. But keeping a eye on the game, though not gonna over-hypemyself atleast for the next year perhaps even couple of years.image

I wager CCP knows their target audiance enough to stay well away from Twilight. NOw, let's hope that the playerbase can hold up thier end of the bargain by not naming their guilds "Team X" and "TEam Y"

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by Czzarre

I wager CCP knows their target audiance enough to stay well away from Twilight. NOw, let's hope that the playerbase can hold up thier end of the bargain by not naming their guilds "Team X" and "TEam Y"

I have trust in CCP, no issues there. I have zero faith in their playerbase though after seeing Corps named Team Edward and Team Jacob.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Some people need to understand what this MMO means before saying things like "I give it 6 months" and comparing it to either twilight or true blood. World of Darkness has been going on for 19 years, and has been evolved upon several times with new rpgs being released every now and then. Heck this MMO was first announced in 2006, way before the current spawn of vampires in the media. I enjoy True Blood don't get me wrong, twilight however makes me sick, although there is a fanbase for it of course.

There are posts out there from people who attended the event its self, and who where at the question and answer session with the developers of the MMO. http://planet-vampire.com/main/forum/index.php?topic=4941.90 look for the post by signothorn for alot of the answers to questions asked.

This MMO is being developed with 19 years of lore and a games company thats already made Eve Online, not everyones cup of tea, but significant if only for the fact that its a far leap from the cookie cutter wow clone crap out there.

I would say with a degree of confidence that this MMO when it is released will be a significant long term hit, most likely bigger than Eve is with a WASD movement and a skill system fitting with the pen and paper games.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Murashu

Originally posted by Czzarre

I have trust in CCP, no issues there. I have zero faith in their playerbase though after seeing Corps named Team Edward and Team Jacob.

Dude thats funny shit! If anything it shows EvE players have a sense of humor...

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Enerzeal

Some people need to understand what this MMO means before saying things like "I give it 6 months" and comparing it to either twilight or true blood. World of Darkness has been going on for 19 years, and has been evolved upon several times with new rpgs being released every now and then. Heck this MMO was first announced in 2006, way before the current spawn of vampires in the media. I enjoy True Blood don't get me wrong, twilight however makes me sick, although there is a fanbase for it of course.

There are posts out there from people who attended the event its self, and who where at the question and answer session with the developers of the MMO. http://planet-vampire.com/main/forum/index.php?topic=4941.90 look for the post by signothorn for alot of the answers to questions asked.

This MMO is being developed with 19 years of lore and a games company thats already made Eve Online, not everyones cup of tea, but significant if only for the fact that its a far leap from the cookie cutter wow clone crap out there.

I would say with a degree of confidence that this MMO when it is released will be a significant long term hit, most likely bigger than Eve is with a WASD movement and a skill system fitting with the pen and paper games.

Just because saying it is not like WoW will not make it a good game. Mortal Online is not like WoW but it is garbage.

Eve is more an economy/spreadsheet game that an RPG so if this game is anything like Eve I doubt it will be any good, regardless how different it is from WoW.

Originally posted by Yamota

Just because saying it is not like WoW will not make it a good game. Mortal Online is not like WoW but it is garbage.

Eve is more an economy/spreadsheet game that an RPG so if this game is anything like Eve I doubt it will be any good, regardless how different it is from WoW.

Best you avoid talking about Eve if you don't know anything about it, makes you look like a moron. The thing which keeps eve going and its greatest aspect is its single server conflict driven world, the economics is one aspect out of a great many.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

The true tragedy here is that we are all looking at 2+ years of this kind of forum speculation

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

As long as the vampires don't sparkle in the light...

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Best you avoid talking about Eve if you don't know anything about it, makes you look like a moron. The thing which keeps eve going and its greatest aspect is its single server conflict driven world, the economics is one aspect out of a great many.

If you dont understand that economics is vital for success in PvP conflicts in Eve, then you are the moron, not me.

If you dont understand that economics is vital for success in PvP conflicts in Eve, then you are the moron, not me.

Did I suggest otherwise?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Anyone know a link to a non-bootleg version of that video?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Is there actually a large enough market for this genre? CCP is doing the right thing by staying out of the traditional genre but I dont know about this one. I am sure people will play it but how many remains to be seen. They got lucky with Eve..

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Is there actually a large enough market for this genre? CCP is doing the right thing by staying out of the traditional genre but I dont know about this one. I am sure people will play it but how many remains to be seen. They got lucky with Eve..

I'm told (although I have not investigated myself) that there is a "massive" IRC community who use chat rooms for online Vampire/Mage/Werewolf roleplaying. I dont know what "massive" means in actual numbers but you can bet that pretty much all of them are going to at least try WoD. Not to mention interest from "ordinary" MMORPGers who, if these forums are any indication, have been crying out for something different for a long time.

Well, in 2012, they're going to get something different. As you say, it remains to be seen whether they actually want something different, of if they really just want "WoW but betterer"

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

If there is pvp, class balance is going to be such a bitch. Which means PVE is going to be totally thrown off.

Oh and you will have loads of people playing Malchavian who think being insane =free liscense to be an asshole.

I'll stick with Nosferatu.

CCP has done well with EVE, so this could turn out good.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Did I suggest otherwise?

No you did not. So you know he is a very old eve troll that used to live in the main eve related topics!

Anyway this was my favourate quote from CCP

"it will let gamers play only as vampires initially, not their werewolf foes. it will let gamers play only as vampires initially, not their werewolf foes".

So yea as i said before Werewolves and maybee other races will be playable which is grea as i prefer Werewolves for there Beastlieness over the somewhat somber Vampires [bear in mind i know very little how the races in WOD work].

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by alltoreup21

...more vampires? ech.

i give it six months.

I am not so sure, it is based on the second largest pen and paper RPG ever after D&D and that should count for something.

White wolf are very good on lore and CCP knows sandboxes, that might work superbly or not at all but don't count it out yet because of the vampires.

Hopefully will the mages and Werewolf be patched in later (and mages first so we get out of the Twilight feeling, thanks).

I give it 50/50 between huge success and great failure. I don't think it will be something in between, it is just too different from the rest of the genre.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

So yea as i said before Werewolves and maybee other races will be playable which is grea as i prefer Werewolves for there Beastlieness over the somewhat somber Vampires [bear in mind i know very little how the races in WOD work].

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Darkness_(old)

This link page should help you ut, it have history and more about all the "races".

I played them all in P&P and I prefer mages myself but Vampires were the first and have always been the most popular.

http://www.ovguide.com/tv/kindred_the_embraced.htm

If you think reading is boring, here is a link to streamed episodes loosely based on Vampire (you will recognize more than one from Melrose place in it). It is not that bad and will introduce you to the lore, the link is legal to watch of course.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 134

Thats a great concept. But what I would love to see, besides a dressed up video that every game has, is 3 minutes of game play. Game mechanics never are shown in the " Movie ". How a person could get excited for something that shows no movement and is years away is beyond me.

I will give props to EVE and look forward to seeing how this plays out.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

After Twilight, I think a lot of people view vamps as...well I dont want to use that word because it will offend people (me included).

But WoD vamps are anything but Twilight-ish. They are the good old fashion evil, decadent, hedonistic, murdurous, machiavellian, sexy, seductive, blood drinkers. Oh and some are insane too. That and vampires are always the big box office draw. So I can see this frachise having a big pull.

And if they keep it adult, and no adult isnt just tits and dismemberment, Im sure it will pull in people who would have never considered playing an MMO otherwise. I think it may have a big draw for people getting bored with MMO's designed for the tween-crowd. I know I am, God how am I.

The WoD world is so expansive. It has so much potential. Werewolfs, mages, hunters and even more than my limited knowledge of the game. I think CCP made one of the best purchases of an IP in MMO history.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Not being like WoW will not make it a good game but it will make it a good change for the market, CCP will make it a good game.

Your second sentence is good for lolz, but not alot else.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by moguy1

Thats a great concept. But what I would love to see, besides a dressed up video that every game has, is 3 minutes of game play. Game mechanics never are shown in the " Movie ". How a person could get excited for something that shows no movement and is years away is beyond me.

I will give props to EVE and look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Thats a fair assessment.

I think most people are excited (me included) because they know the potential of the IP and they know CCP doesnt pander to the WoW-crowd, for lack of a better word to define than kind of mentality.

Here someone took notes when CCP finally started talking about it.

This all may not be in the finale release of the game. But it does give you a very good idea of where CCP wants to go with the game mechanics.

Link

• Not a lot of quests. Org versus org. Player-driven faction content and conflict.

• Not a WOW clone. Repetitive quests are boring and unfulfilling.

• Concerns over how mental or social influence powers are handled. How to do this well and meaningfully? Players uncomfortable with a loss of control over avatar.

• Players want to control other characters, however.

• Territory control. An adult-only play space. Roleplayers want a space where the integrity of the setting colors the conversation. Don't want to suffer through Chuck Norris jokes and other immersion-breaking chatter.

• Content that reinforces themes that are the cornerstones of the WoD. "Shivers up the spine."

• An exploration of who a new character is, so that he's not just dropped tabula rasa into the world. Random backgrounds, connections to the world, hooks into world participation.

• Powers that cleave closely to the powers that exist in the game, but also expand into new directions for appropriate Disciplines. Making them work in tandem with the system, so that they make sense in the world.

• Finite numbers of the supernatural critter types.

• Permadeath. Server type preference?

• Allow social powers to be socially versatile. A character can be successful socially; not all advancement is tied to combat or traditional "leveling."

• Factional control of regions or assets. Benefits to controlling key areas or establishments.

• Live team events built upon a foundation of existing world lore. Real-time events, historical Masquerade characters, GM NPCs who can be interacted with or pull players into stories.

• Influences, boons,  hallmarks of the social origins of vampires.

• Accessible to casual players. Low-intensity tasks to just pick up and do so players don't have to sit there idly.

• Playable Sabbat.

• Creation, building visible things that can be added to game. Ex. Toreador art, Nosferatu caverns. Some kind of crafting system.

• One big world with a dynamic power system that allows different factions to thrive.

• Stay true to the adult content. Blood, gore, darkness, tits.

• Present the themes of the World of Darkness as playable elements. Let the players participate in the things that make Vampire what it is.

• Allow players to participate meaningfully as casual and part-time players.

• Image and customization consultation -- players helping other players create their looks.

• Playable neonate-ancilla-elder model with meaningful play, all with impact on the in-world vitae economy.

• Status system -- how to represent and elder concept. Players that can participate as setting, a piece of the environment.

• Unique and empowering via rarity.

• Rarity of combat unless it's a character's focus.

• Severity and fearsomeness of combat.

• World that responds to the actions of the characters. Dynamic, changing, adapting to how players use the world.

• A system to allow players to form groups of their own design as opposed to just sharing commonalities like clan and Disciplines.

• GLBT friendly content.

• Rewards for advancement tied to tiered mastery of ability or chance rolls.

• Final Death.

• Bloodline characters. Seeing the effects of actions the players have taken in character selection.

• Use relationships with fan organizations to allow players to play their LARP characters and vice versa.

• Crafting +1 but not materials farming.

• Immersion as a priority. Reward the long-time player who's been into Vampire as opposed to the sillier players who are aggravating elements in other MMOs. Jumping goofball players break the mood.

• Non-unique names as a matter of character identity.

• Other WoD critters. The whole panoply of supernatural creature types.

• Cherry pick the strong parts of Requiem.

• Mortals, participate in the Embrace, etc. X2 X3

• Embrace. X2

• Diablerie.

• Ability to flag self for PvP allowability.

• Communication needs. Make communication happen in a way that's not as as intrusive as "global chat UI".

• Politics outside clan and sect. City politics, for example. Domains and territories?

• A sense of history imparted to elder characters. Flashback sequences, historical instances, etc.

• Narrative that's not wholly reliant on players to facilitate the content.

• Control the rate of character progression and provide content so that casual and time-constrained players can still participate meaningfully.

• Personal spaces like havens. Ability to damage or conspire against havens. Or help cultivate them.

• Torpor as a clone-type mechanic as a backup.

• Casual player rewards and impetus.

I think that looks awesome. And gives a very solid fondation to build upon. I think CCP are approaching how MMO's are made from a different angle/direction than most "just follow the leader" MMO companies. Its what they did with EVE and it worked.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

If CCP can bring it off, it will be nice to see a MMORPG that actually focuses on, you know, roleplaying.

Give me liberty or give me lasers