Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMORPG have their own personal Game Engine?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I know of a mmorpg game that had its game engine built from the game up, to develop the game.

I am going to keep this game anonymous for the discussion.

But what other games, had personally developed game engines for the MMORPG?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Hmmm, seeing how you often plug WoW I'm going to take a wild guess: is the anonymous one WoW?

See, it's namely a bit hard to talk about 'other games' when people don't know other than which game these games must be image Just sayin'

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

None since all asian games buy their engines so does the US

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Fallen Earth, Darkfall, EVE, Lotro, Ryzom, Age of conan, Anarchy online...The list is huge.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Are the engines in-house developed same as the games?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by thecrap

Im not sure what exactly your asking?

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by thecrap

Yes. To the above list you can also add Everquest 1/2 and Vanguard. And I'm sure there are more.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Vanguard is Unreal.

World of Warcraft is in-house, so is CO/STO.

Most of the subscription MMOs use their own engines, there are a few exceptions like the aforementioned VG, also WAR/DAoC.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Funcom`s MMO:  Age of Conan and the upcoming The Secret World both use the inhouse engine Dreamworld Engine, that has been updated yearly for a decade. Anarchy Online uses an older version of it currently, but is being upgraded in Q1 2011.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Fallen earth and also FF11/14 use their own inhouse devoloped engines.. well not 100% sure on FF11 but I know FF14 does.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars, Everquest, Lineage...

About half of all MMOs have their own engine. Sequels often have an updated version of the engine from the first game, like EQ2.

It is really nothing unique but a well programmed engine is a must for a successful game.

I can think of a guy that coded 3 MMO engines: Jeff Strain. He did the original Wow engine (or at least the basics of it, he quit long before launch, Guildwars and Guildwars 2 (which isn't released yet but the engine has been done in 2 years now). That is probably a unique case however.

It seems like HERO engine might become big in the future, TOR will be the first releasing game with it. It is pretty expensive today to make a new engine so it is likely that we will see more games in the future with licensed engines.

But as long as the coding is good, there are a lot more important things for a MMO.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

EvE  online - cant remember its name tho.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I thought Warhammer Online used their own game engine?

EVE for sure did. As a matter of fact they (everyone but the CCP devs) said it couldnt be done.

Ah, Hyperion bet me to EVE. ;)

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• VolvinoVolvino Member UncommonPosts: 79

Star Wars Galaxies uses their own engine - http://swg.stratics.com/content/?Cat=264&uid=1259

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Hokie

EVE for sure did. As a matter of fact they (everyone but the CCP devs) said it couldnt be done.

I am pretty sure WAR uses a modified version of Gamebryo...

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Hokie

I am pretty sure WAR uses a modified version of Gamebryo...

Wiki agress with you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Fallen Earth, Darkfall, EVE, Lotro, Ryzom, Age of conan, Anarchy online...The list is huge.

Add to that pretty much EVERY 1st gen MMO (UO, EQ, DAoC, AC1...) as well as EQ2, CoH, FFXI, FFXIV, CO, and the list gets even longer.

So, to the OP, whats the point of this thread?

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Not to sure how succesful the Hero engine will be.

Will it be cost effective? I think I heard thru the grapevine that they only lease it  year to year. And they make you buy updates and support. Which is all fair.

I think it would be cost effective with most quick launch MMO's, that we seem to be getting lately. But would it be cost effective over the life of say a five year MMO? I dont think so. But this is all just speculation.

Oh and as a note you really should link to something like the Hero Engine, so people have a way to quickly reference what youre talking about. I know what it is, but I have a feeling abopt 1/2 (or more) of the people reading this post may not. And its a pain to google stuff and get the right link.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Originally posted by fyerwall

Add to that pretty much EVERY 1st gen MMO (UO, EQ, DAoC, AC1...) as well as EQ2, CoH, FFXI, FFXIV, CO, and the list gets even longer.

DAoC did not use their own engine. http://www.emergent.net/en/Clients--Titles/            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Volvino

DAoC did not use their own engine. http://www.emergent.net/en/Clients--Titles/            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

ok, so scratch off DAoC cause apparently Mythic doesn't like making their own engines :P

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Most MMO have their own engine and i think that's another reason most of them take so long to develop. I would like to know if there are any MMOs at all out there that reused some existing engine, and which would that be?

I only know of Ryzom's engine being available for reuse and that only hapenned recently. And that's a full MMO engine - it has all the 3D stuff like Source for example and additionally it has network code and database code to support the MMO part. But it isn't really used in any other project other than Ryzom yet, to my knowledge.

I guess there is some in-house reuse of MMO engines that we never get to know - i have heard WAR's engine was based on DaoC's one.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

ok, so scratch off DAoC cause apparently Mythic doesn't like making their own engines :P

Gamebryo only does 3D. No networking and database stuff to support the MMO part ;) Mythic added those.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Well, from that list it appears Activision, NCsoft, SOE, and other huge companies, some of them MMO companies all have used an outsourced game engine, so what the fuck is the point of this thread and argument?  Who cares what engine is being used as long as it works well and the game is fun.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

The game engine is apparently one of the longest things to take to develop in an MMORPG. STO uses the CO engine and it is a travesty that an IP like this didnt have the time and effort it so rightly deserved. STO should have had it's own engine developed.