Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone will die if you play another MMO

This question is based on the short story "Button, Button".

Your internet breaks down one day.  You call up your internet company to come fix it. A strange man appears at your door within the hour and claims to be the repair guy. He replaces your modem with an odd looking box with a large button on top. He tells you that your internet is fixed but in order to play another MMO again you would have to push the button on top. He warns that if you do..someone that you don't know will die in real life.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

With any luck I'll get the guy who has the box with my button on it. :)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

pvp would be so much more fun if people died in real life!

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Every minute someone i dont know dies. So even if i didnt push the button, someone will die. Kinda a waste if i dont push it.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I'd ask if it could be someone I do know.

Two birds, one stone, y'know?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Archid

pvp would be so much more fun if people died in real life!

That's called war. Try be in one, i know it's far from fun.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I voted NO: Life is more worth then a video-game. If it offered me 100mil. Euro, I would think about it. image

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Yes, I would press the button. Mostly because I wouldn't believe the button on the box could have anything to do with people dieing, no matter what some lunatic claims.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Vrika

Yes, I would press the button. Mostly because I wouldn't believe the button on the box could have anything to do with people dieing, no matter what some lunatic claims.

A month after you press it, a man shows up at your door and says "The new client thinks the same way you do.", then casually pulls out a gun and shoots you.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Voted no, think I would manage without my f2p mmo's. I play the free ones for a reason, and that's so I can still afford my other forms of entertainment :P

I have a feeling this poll is going to turn out pretty disturbing though, and it's already headed down that road it seems lol.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

i dont give a damn on human beeings, but i looove mmo's :D

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Making a post based on the Garbage Pail Kids movie premise would be 10000 times more amusing (as it was that much better of a movie).

Originally posted by lathaan

i dont give a damn on human beeings, but i looove mmo's :D

Would you care if someone else pushed that button, and that person to die happened to be you?

Not many seem to be taking this hypothetical situation very seriously lol :( Props to the OP for this post though, should be quite interesting to watch.

• hardsuithardsuit Member Posts: 10

Like you even need to ask....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNOXYlYswA

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk
    This question is based on the short story "The box".

Your internet breaks down one day.  You call up your internet company to come fix it. A strange man appears at your door within the hour and claims to be the repair guy. He replaces your modem with an odd looking box with a large button on top. He tells you that your internet is fixed but in order to play another MMO again you would have to push the button on top. He warns that if you do..someone that you don't know will die in real life.

If it's not me, or anybody I know AND LIKE (because I know a crapton of people I don't like and would be totally cool with if they dropped dead) then by all means murder away.

I get my fix, and that's all that really matters.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I dont like people and in the world there are enough bad people that the chances of killing one of those is quite large, so sure id press the button.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Need more info ...

What MMO are we talking about?

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Voted No because I know all the people that die from the button pushing were the ones that previously pressed the button :p

Even if I didn't know that, I would think it was some kind of scam or test where I would end up in an even worse position than I started. Always strings attached with something like this.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No. Not to get my net up. To get good sum of cash would be another thing but I am not quite the sad excuse for a human being that I would kill to get the net up again.

Of course if it instead would kill my boss instead of a stranger I would push it...

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

No wonder the world is in the condition it is.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

A month after you press it, a man shows up at your door and says "The new client thinks the same way you do.", then casually pulls out a gun and shoots you.

The man shooting me would have committed a murder. The client pressing the button would be innocent.

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

The man shooting me would have committed a murder. The client pressing the button would be innocent.

Which would be of great comfort when you're dead?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

I think i'm starting to respect the cheesey movie this story was based off a bit more now, seems it was more reality than I orignally thought, mankind is doomed.

Originally posted by Unreal024

In the grand scheme of things, what's a human life?

Surely more important than some non-existing pixels on a screen.

Man.. I'm just completly blown away by this entire thread.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

There is also this one ofcourse :=)

/junker

Originally posted by Unreal024

Sure i'd press it, wouldn't bother me, unless the person who dies is a family member or friend. That's just the risk i'd have to take though, when playing with a random person's life. There's enough humans in the world. Don't think the world, galaxy or universe will miss any of us when were all gone. In the grand scheme of things, what's a human life?

So if I pop around your family and kill them all one by one farming their bodies for their organs that's okay with you? I don't know if you have any kids but I got to be honest here, their organs are worth a fortune on the black market, fuck it you could always just do it yourself. Afterall whats just another human life?

-----