Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh how I love those beautiful polygons!

How much do visually pleasing mmo player characters affect your decision to play a game? Me? My elven fantasy world absolutely must come with hot elven maidens!

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Well, it's very much like real life.  If I have a choice as to where I want to live, I want to make sure I pick a nice looking location.  Similarly, an MMORPG has to have a visually attractive game world for me to play for any serious length of time.

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by Robokapp

what can I say. Elf boobs help. :)

Are Elf boobs different than human boobs?

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

You have to clarify by "visually pleasing". Do you mean by the number of shader effects, polygon counts, frames of animation, and other technical stuff that allows an engine to display a great looking model or do you mean the artistic style of the game created by the artists?

Honestly, the technical stuff I really do not need a whole lot of, especially if the art design is fantastic. So, if you mean artistic style, it is very important.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i like my MMO character to be visually pleasing.  i don't mean i want the best graphics around or women with boobs the size of rockets, it just has to be pleasing.

• MrMxyzptlkMrMxyzptlk Member Posts: 141
    Forget about the environment. I'm strictly talking about attractive player character models.
  • ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Not really a deciding factor for me. I care more about the art style (clothing/armor, weaponry) than the look of the characters themselves.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by NeerDoWell

Bring me some Elven boobies and I'll let you know.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I misread the thread title, but my response is still the same.  Yes, my character has to be visually appealing to me in order for me to play the game for any length of time.  That's one of the reasons I can never get into LoTRO.  The character models and low level armor are some of the worst I have ever seen.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think character art is quite important.  As an MMORPG player, the avatar on screen becomes a personification of the player.

For real.  How many time have you heard yourself say "I just put on my new boots" rather than "My character just put on her boots"?  ... or "Damn, I died!!!" ???

If I move well and look cool in game, that in turn is a reflection on ME.  Looking good is important.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Art style and graphics mean very little to me in terms of the games I play.  I really only care about fun game mechanics and customization so that I'm able to tell myself apart from others.

So, if say there was a game with stick figures,  as long as I could differentiate my stick figure with a mustache and a monacle,  I'd be good to go.... as long as it played well.

No amount of elf boobs can make up for poor gameplay.     Well... almost no amount....  I mean if the game were entirely based on elf boobs.....  then.. maybe.   Why am I talking about this?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I misread the thread title, but my response is still the same.  Yes, my character has to be visually appealing to me in order for me to play the game for any length of time.  That's one of the reasons I can never get into LoTRO.  The character models and low level armor are some of the worst I have ever seen.

that's probably one of the reasons I've spent so much time and effort changing my look in LOTRO.

I can't stand the art desing for the character and especially can't stand the art design of the armor and weapons. for the most part.

Occasionally I will find a few neat items and greedily change out my "outfit" so that I can look less like a clown-world version of "Lord of the Rings".

If I can't get over the look of the characters, even if it's just accepting them in a "retro gaming" sort of way (for older games) then It's difficult for me to continue.

Heck, most of my oblvion mods are armor and weapon mods.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Ya they are more pointy image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good charactar models mean a lot to me. Prolly not decisive in itself, but too many MMO have either ugly or too Anime-like characters.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MrMxyzptlkMrMxyzptlk Member Posts: 141

Oftentimes I have to cross genders in mmos because they make the male character models look either too dorky looking (WoW) or too.......pretty (FFXI). Sometimes I might skip over a somewhat decent game because the artists messed up on both genders (EQ2). 

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Nice graphics are a plus, but in the end it all comes down to gameplay.

I'd much rather play a game with terrible graphics so long as it had good gameplay, rather than a game with the best graphics, but terrible gameplay.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I have to like the visual style of the game or I will not touch it. Doesn't mean he graphics have to be good, but he art direction needs to be good.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I think character art is quite important.  As an MMORPG player, the avatar on screen becomes a personification of the player.

For real.  How many time have you heard yourself say "I just put on my new boots" rather than "My character just put on her boots"?  ... or "Damn, I died!!!" ???

If I move well and look cool in game, that in turn is a reflection on ME.  Looking good is important.

Agreed but the art must also fit the theme of the game. A really serious and nasty game with silly cartoonish characters does not work, but neither would a discworld based game with realistic characters.

And it can be nasty when different art doesn't work together. I personally have some problem with this in LOTRO, characters and the background doesn't really fit together for me. The avatars looked based on the classic LOTRO art while the backgrounds are realistic, it just mixes bad for me. To have both one way would be better. Neither way is really bad but to me it just looks photoshopped. 

Great art can hide bad polygon count but there is a limit to that so I want at least acceptable graphics and good art to my Avatar. The backgrounds isn't as important even if it is always nice when they look good too.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Its gotta look phretty if your gonna stare at it all day duh...

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Visually appealing? Requied.

Sexual attractiveness? Not so much.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by grunt187

Ya they are more pointy image

that's not the point. Human boobs (hopefully) are a reality. whereas elf ones are fantasy. :)

see the difference? one we (hopefully) interract with irl.one is for MMOs.

Elf boobs are future reality. Once they get that genetic modification thing down...

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by midmagic

Elf boobs are future reality. Once they get that genetic modification thing down...

Why? Plastic surgery works fine enough unless you also want elf ears Alá Wow. Don't complicate things more than you need too, half Hollywood already using that stuff.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Glad I'm not the only one!

I could never get too far in that game because I hated the look of any toon I ever created in it.  That, and it never just felt 'right'.  The models in that game are just so 'plastic' and oddly stretched/proportioned.  Sure, an Elf should probably be tall and thin, but not look like it's all stretched and awkward to look at.  And yeah, the lower level equips looked like junk.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Not at all. If anything i want the game to have at least one ugly race cause that's what i roll usually. Before a couple of days i was even thinking about going back to WoW cause that was the only game i know that i can play female Orc.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."