Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard officially corrupt? You make the call.

124»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,541

The game is too popular for its own good so unscrupulous people use that and hack into accounts because there is money to be had. Anything that is popular will attract that and if you never came across the account verification thing and the charge you must live in some cave. Honestly this thread is quite a fast one right. Any way just remember that the internet is very dangerous and it pays to be careful.

Chamber of Chains
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,597

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I think I have to agree that something is very wrong at Blizz. Let me explain:

I stopped playing WoW 3-4 months ago, cancelled my subs and un-installed the game. My PC has AV software and Anti Spyware running. I never respond to the stupid phish mails telling me I got into cata beta or won a celestial mount.

So, no key loggers, no visits to dodgy web sites and no logging into WoW for months. The weekend just gone my mate phones me up to ask if I'm logged in to WoW, which I'm not, and says he can see one of my chars in black temple. Kinda wierd...

I check my email account used on battle net, which is a yahoo account. Can't log in... same with WoW acct management. So anyway, I regain control of the yahoo acct, reset the wow acct password and check the subscription page. It's on a 7 day exemption (I later spoke to blizz sppt and this was a free week promo sent out at the start of this year).

The worrying part of all this is ... how did they get my login details? When speaking to blizz support we went thru all the usual, what av you run etc. Ran the scans, found no suspect software. The guy at Blizz decided he'd pass this on up the food chain because he was worried how the acct was hacked. Now I know people will say things like " ah but you did x,y,z and blah, blah" but it's not like I'm a clueless technophobe. I have nearly 20 years as an IT professional under my belt and I know a thing or three about securing my PC. So far I have found nothing to indicate I was hacked at this end.

Isn't the internet fun?

edited: spelling

Hackers often go to gaming websites like this one and try to hack for user/password combinations.  They often try to hack the Korean grinders, as well, as their security is pretty bad.

Anyway, after hacking a bunch of MMO related sites for U/P's, they sell the lists to gold farmers, who try these combinations to sign in to AAA games.

Long story short, if you use the same U/P combination in forums and various other gaming related accounts as you do for your MMO's, that's probably how they got it.  If your account is shut down, they sign you up for a trial, sell off all your stuff and mail the cash to another character.

Edit to add:  That's not to say that the OP is necessarily wrong... it's possible Blizzard is up to some shenanigans, but it seems like a pretty big risk to take for a huge company that's got everything going for it to try to milk some extra pennies.  I mean, if they got busted doing this, it would DESTROY the company.  Again, not saying they WOULDN'T do it... Enron had lots going for it, too...

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by Yauchy

It might not be a scam per-say, but is very odd to say the least.

I was hacked 3 days ago, in which I haven't played the game in 11 months.  I could still login and noticed no change in billing information (including no reference to a pre-paid card in use).  Now it was set to 1-month reoccuring, without charging my card on the account?  This happend to my fiancee' as well (whose account I paid for), except on that account they put an authenticator on it.  The identical situation to mine happened to one of my raiding buddies.  

Now I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'm thinking there is a very large loophole on inactive accounts or maybe some master list from an old addon that some ninja'd a keylogger in (with a few year time delay?).  Who really knows, but realistically it can't all be just "users getting keyloggers".

The bottomline:  Why are so many inactive accounts suddenly being hacked, for people that had no issues with hacking for YEARS of playing and watching active people getting hacked?  It seems far more likely to be a Blizzard related issue, than due to us...but that might just be my opp.

Also note:  Square Enix brought up authenticators for FFXI due to account theft, but also gave people free inventory space for activating it (where blizzard gets no benefits other than piece of mind).  So all companies love the idea of 1.) Securing peoples accounts so they don't hear QQ from you and 2.) Making more money off of you - It is win:win for the company, so off course the big dogs love authenticators (not a scam, just smart business decisions). 

A couple of possibilities that are not uncommon (everyone's particular case is different):

• People commonly use the same ids / passwords for multiple sites.  Hacking of one site (or successful phishing of an individual for a different site) can lead the hacker to be able to access a WoW/Battle.net account

• Social engineering is remarkably effective.  Although done for good reason, I was astonished that my daughter was able to get my wife's Guild Wars account information sent to my daughter's e-mail on her first try (just sent an e-mail).  There was no way NCSoft could have known that it was actually my daughter (they simply took her word for it), and my daughter's e-mail is on an entirely different system than my wife's e-mail.  Security education for CSRs is typically very, very light.

These are above and beyond various keyloggers and zero-day exploits, but are always worth keeping in mind.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by unbound55

Social engineering is remarkably effective.  Although done for good reason, I was astonished that my daughter was able to get my wife's Guild Wars account information sent to my daughter's e-mail on her first try (just sent an e-mail).  There was no way NCSoft could have known that it was actually my daughter (they simply took her word for it), and my daughter's e-mail is on an entirely different system than my wife's e-mail.  Security education for CSRs is typically very, very light.

Not to change the topic but I found this very odd and interesting that this happened. How long ago was this? About six months ago I decided to queue up guild wars again after not playing for several months. But, I forgot my password. I sent off a request to have my password reset (I should note I didnt have my security question setup at the time so I can reset from the site). Eventually I got an email from NCSOFT requesting;

1) all the CD/activation keys tied to my account and not just the guild wars keys. All NCSoft games I owned

2) Verify name and address

3) Last 4 digits of the credit card used to purchase the games if purchased digitally. Thank goodness I had my old bank statement from 4 years ago since the card expired.

4) and the email address the account was registered to.

All this was done through the tech support system on there website.

As you can see they made me jump through hurrdles. I guess in your case you got someone who didnt care or had lack of training.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,929

Meh...

Blizzard is no different than any other large corporation in always defaulting, as their first line of defense, to suggesting that the problem is your own fault and caused by you.

Apple did exactly the same thing when hundreds (thousands?) of iTune accounts got hacked earlier this year and the hacked accounts were used to prop-up the ratings of questionable POS apps.

Apple's response is that you must have been an idiot and responded to phishing or your password is too weak.

But thanks to sites like Wired and Gizmodo that watch Apple closely it became obvious that the problem was a hack of Apple's servers themselves... something which they still haven't admitted.

My inactive (then, not now, I'm playing again) WOW account was also hacked despite me having had zero contact with them for more than a year and having received zero phishing emails about free mounts and other crap for all that time.

Interestingly as son as I recovered and activated my account again all the junk phishing emails started appearing in my inbox within days. This last bit makes it obvious to me that Blizzard's own security and servers are compromised and the scammers are getting at least partial info (i.e. who has recently activated) from them.

They will, of course, deny this just like Apple does, due to the default corrupt morals of (most) modern coorporations. They lie, deliberately and often as a basic part of their business model.

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by Iselin

Interestingly as son as I recovered and activated my account again all the junk phishing emails started appearing in my inbox within days. This last bit makes it obvious to me that Blizzard's own security and servers are compromised and the scammers are getting at least partial info (i.e. who has recently activated) from them.

That statement may or may not be what is happening. I have registered my account when asked to switch from WoW site to battle.net awhile ago with a completly different address. I have yet to get a phishing email on that address. However about 2 months ago I am getting hit with phishing emails on two other email addresses, unrelated to the email server registered on the battle.net account, that never been associated with WoW.

The only theory I can come up with is that hackers are hacking into other gaming websites to gain access to email addresses related and not related to WoW. Since there are 11+ million subscribers the scammers are sending WoW phishing emails out using the addresses they gathered and the chances the many of those people play WoW is pretty good. If you notice the phishing emails are generic and never address you by your name or old account name.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

After having both my accounts hacked last year and restored, I was a little surprised to learn at how many people were getting their accounts hacked after Blizzard forced everyone into the battle.net account system. It just seemed rather odd to see more WoW accounts being hacked after this said event then before.

Let's be honest, the authenticator is a scam. Blizzard is having a hay day by screwing their customers out of $7 more because their battle.net system is worthless.

Last month something very peculiar occurred but I didn't think anything of it until it happened again this month. I pay for 3 accounts, 2 of mine and my wifes. Last month and this month, despite Blizzard stating all charges are recurring until you cancel, all 3 accounts were cancelled. Not one, not two, but all three. Was it because of lack of finances? Nope, checked the bank last month when it happened and simply started a new subscription the same day they got cancelled.

So, the interesting thing I noticed this month when resubscribing was that Blizzard now charges $1 extra to verify your financial account. I was like hmm, so Blizzard keeps cancelling my recurring subscription so I can pay them $1 for each account I reactivate, nice.

Sure, it's only $1 to us the customer, but how many people are having their subscriptions just randomly cancelled for no reason? You make the call.

I'm not sure if the authenticator is really needed.

What would help is to have separate e-mail addresses. Have different e.Mail addresses. Take one to register for the game only. If you get scam or phishing mails on your other mail-accounts. Then you can delete them without reading (as you didn't register with these). If you get scam  mails on the game e-mail account then you'd know that blizzard is cheating. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,929

Originally posted by Falcomith

Originally posted by Iselin

That statement may or may not be what is happening. I have registered my account when asked to switch from WoW site to battle.net awhile ago with a completly different address. I have yet to get a phishing email on that address. However about 2 months ago I am getting hit with phishing emails on two other email addresses, unrelated to the email server registered on the battle.net account, that never been associated with WoW.

The only theory I can come up with is that hackers are hacking into other gaming websites to gain access to email addresses related and not related to WoW. Since there are 11+ million subscribers the scammers are sending WoW phishing emails out using the addresses they gathered and the chances the many of those people play WoW is pretty good. If you notice the phishing emails are generic and never address you by your name or old account name.

Well... my experience indicates that the phishing emails I am now receiving are not part of a shotgun approach that just coincidentally catches active subscribers: no WOW activity for me meant no phishing emails received but as soon as I activated again the phishing scams started appearing... this is not a coincidence. 

And btw, if you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch the authenticator app is free and generates a new unique number you have to type together with your password for logging in to the game and for legitimate communications and transactions with Blizzard or Battlenet... definitely worth the effort.

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Occam's_razor

Really... User Error.

Now I am one that wouldn't throw out the possibility of Blizzard being involved in some devious or flat out wrong activities but I wouldn't give that the primary reason.

And for all the IT pros out there that think they are so secure and so smart. Really its you above all people who should know that anything connected to the internet is vulnerable and nothing is truly secure.

And if you dont want to pay for the authenticator, then go with a free option that is very openly available and accessible.

This thread is so dumb...

• bdtrunksbdtrunks Member Posts: 3

First off, as far as having more accounts being hacked since the battle.net merger, that probably has to do with battle.net usernames being your e-mail address, which there are probably a lot of stupid people out there than use an e-mail account that can be easily compromised and then use the same password for that e-mail account as they do for battle.net. Although, the password isn't the biggest thing.

So, Blizzard allows you do get an authenticator that can cost nothing (or $1 in my case for my phone) that makes that a non-issue. How many of these people getting hacked have one of those? Also, as being said before, other games are going this route because it is getting easier and easier to get people's information.

As far as the OP, yeah we all know that is the standard $1 charge to make sure it is a valid account. If it is happening so often, it may be because there are issues with your credit card/bank account or a glitch on Blizzard's end, which is why you should call them to find out. That is why they have a number to call.

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

I stopped playing WoW 3-4 months ago, cancelled my subs and un-installed the game. My PC has AV software and Anti Spyware running. I never respond to the stupid phish mails telling me I got into cata beta or won a celestial mount.

So, no key loggers, no visits to dodgy web sites and no logging into WoW for months. The weekend just gone my mate phones me up to ask if I'm logged in to WoW, which I'm not, and says he can see one of my chars in black temple. Kinda wierd...

I check my email account used on battle net, which is a yahoo account. Can't log in... same with WoW acct management. So anyway, I regain control of the yahoo acct, reset the wow acct password and check the subscription page. It's on a 7 day exemption (I later spoke to blizz sppt and this was a free week promo sent out at the start of this year).

The worrying part of all this is ... how did they get my login details? When speaking to blizz support we went thru all the usual, what av you run etc. Ran the scans, found no suspect software. The guy at Blizz decided he'd pass this on up the food chain because he was worried how the acct was hacked. Now I know people will say things like " ah but you did x,y,z and blah, blah" but it's not like I'm a clueless technophobe. I have nearly 20 years as an IT professional under my belt and I know a thing or three about securing my PC. So far I have found nothing to indicate I was hacked at this end.

Isn't the internet fun?

Ill explain this again.

Blizzard pays employee A  10$/hour

Employee A wants to buy a new fridge.

Employee A takes 10000 emails per week and sells the list to gold farming companies for 10 cents each & guarantee account is inactive.

Employee A recieves 1000$

Gold Selling company brute forces the passwords of 100/10000 accounts.

Gold Selling company hacks and makes money off inactive accounts until banned.

UserA gets banned email. Questions Blizzard and pays 1 month for the restore and checks that all is right

UserA quits after 1 month

Employee A resells email as inactive.

Blizzard has many "Employee A".

Tip: Passwords should look like this: UTonqw0t013nsfFF0s   and not like: imsoL337

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

After having both my accounts hacked last year and restored, I was a little surprised to learn at how many people were getting their accounts hacked after Blizzard forced everyone into the battle.net account system. It just seemed rather odd to see more WoW accounts being hacked after this said event then before.

Let's be honest, the authenticator is a scam. Blizzard is having a hay day by screwing their customers out of $7 more because their battle.net system is worthless.

Last month something very peculiar occurred but I didn't think anything of it until it happened again this month. I pay for 3 accounts, 2 of mine and my wifes. Last month and this month, despite Blizzard stating all charges are recurring until you cancel, all 3 accounts were cancelled. Not one, not two, but all three. Was it because of lack of finances? Nope, checked the bank last month when it happened and simply started a new subscription the same day they got cancelled.

So, the interesting thing I noticed this month when resubscribing was that Blizzard now charges $1 extra to verify your financial account. I was like hmm, so Blizzard keeps cancelling my recurring subscription so I can pay them $1 for each account I reactivate, nice.

Sure, it's only $1 to us the customer, but how many people are having their subscriptions just randomly cancelled for no reason? You make the call.

May I ask why are you still paying them if you believe they are using dubious tactics to gain more money out of you?

If I was to walk down a dark alley and get robbed I would not walk down that same dark alley the next night, so why are you?

No game is worth allowing a company to continually take more and more money from you for the same service, it's telling them it's OK for them to do so (if ofc it is Blizzard thats actually doing this in the first place) and makes you out to be an easy touch and someone who is so addicted to their product that you just won't quit no matter what they do to your accounts.

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by jackmcleod

Ill explain this again.

Employee A takes 10000 emails per week and sells the list to gold farming companies for 10 cents each & guarantee account is inactive.

UserA gets banned email. Questions Blizzard and pays 1 month for the restore and checks that all is right

Sounds like a plan!

You get corrupt cops, I doubt all Blizzard employees are pure as driven snow.

This crooked insentive could look very attractive to someone on a pittance wage

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by bdtrunks

First off, as far as having more accounts being hacked since the battle.net merger, that probably has to do with battle.net usernames being your e-mail address, which there are probably a lot of stupid people out there than use an e-mail account that can be easily compromised and then use the same password for that e-mail account as they do for battle.net. Although, the password isn't the biggest thing.

So, Blizzard allows you do get an authenticator that can cost nothing (or $1 in my case for my phone) that makes that a non-issue. How many of these people getting hacked have one of those? Also, as being said before, other games are going this route because it is getting easier and easier to get people's information.

As far as the OP, yeah we all know that is the standard $1 charge to make sure it is a valid account. If it is happening so often, it may be because there are issues with your credit card/bank account or a glitch on Blizzard's end, which is why you should call them to find out. That is why they have a number to call.

Per what I highlighted in blue... think about that.

If people are "stupid" and use easy to breach e-mails...

And emails are now people's usenames...

And it's much easier to figure out someone's username via their email, and thus their account name...

Then why did Blizzard decide to force everyone into using the e-mail the account is tied to as the username?

Had they just left it at allowing people to create their own unique, personal, and more importantly private, username, a good deal of account breaches wouldn't be happening.

So while sure, it may be in part due to the fact that people use insecure e-mails, but Blizzard also has their fair share of the fault for forcing everyone's username to be their e-mail.

It was a stupid move with regards to IT security. It's one of the first things taught about IT security -- usernames should be kept as secret as passwords. The next thing is usually that IT security is the responsibility of both the user AND the administrators.

• jessianjessian Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by NightCloak

Occam's_razor

Really... User Error.

Now I am one that wouldn't throw out the possibility of Blizzard being involved in some devious or flat out wrong activities but I wouldn't give that the primary reason.

And for all the IT pros out there that think they are so secure and so smart. Really its you above all people who should know that anything connected to the internet is vulnerable and nothing is truly secure.

And if you dont want to pay for the authenticator, then go with a free option that is very openly available and accessible.

This thread is so dumb...

Heres a question back at you on this subject.

2006 a GM posted by mistake websites linked to Blizzard that sell gold and are still active now... main one being peons4hire this thread was taken down and a lot of forum members got banned asking questions regarding it.  Yet over the course of 4 years hacked accounts have increased not decreased,

Blizzards response, move everyone over to Battle.net (a source that got hacked massively for diablo 2) and still hacked accounts appear all over the place. 

Since 2003 when i first joined the game, i never ever bought gold. never power leveled and never hacked or exploited. Only 4 years later i recieve an email out of the blue saying my accounts closed.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

...Of course the company itself is corrupt!  I mean what company WOULDN'T want to pay legions of support to fix the problems they themselves are causing (Have you actually LOOKED at the price of gold lately - no WAY Blizzard would be turning a profit on that - even if they got 100% from the gold selling sites)

That's not to say there aren't disgruntled employees causing some of the mess.  I'm sure there are.  I'm sure they get fired (and replaced) as caught.  But to insinuate that it's Blizzard itself doing it, is just well...I have some PRIMO oceanfront property to sell you, and it's in Colorado to boot.

The conspiracy theories in this thread even do justice to some of the 9/11 guys!

(PS...not a Blizzard lover OR hater, have not been hacked once - and that's dating back to BL and IOK)

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,017

Blizzard corrupt? I sincerely think someone needs a psychologial evaluation because the paranoia level on this is just massive.

Get real.

Originally posted by Skuz

Blizzard corrupt? I sincerely think someone needs a psychologial evaluation because the paranoia level on this is just massive.

Get real.

Well heres some information for you

http://www.wowguideonline.com/blog/2010/07/08/banned-blizzard-doesnt-like-you-to-speak-your-mind/

Me and my friends have been discussing lately all of the people that are getting hacked. I saw a lot of people posting complaining about this on the WoW Forums. So I decided to add a theory we have been talking about. Our belief is that Blizzard themselves may be behind all of the hacking. This lead me to make the post below on the Blizzard Forums General Discussion Forum.

A lot of people are being hacked these days. People are getting phishing emails on their account email address even thought they don’t use it anywhere else. One friend of mine even let her account expire for two months, came back, reactivated that account and got hacked. Another friend got hacked twice in 2 weeks. How is this happening? The answer is simple…

/tinfoil hat

1. Someone at Blizzard is selling account info to Gold sellers.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Isn't the internet fun?

Ill explain this again.

Tip: Passwords should look like this: UTonqw0t013nsfFF0s   and not like: imsoL337

Again, user error is far simpler of an answer. There are so many ways a user can error.

Yes, its possible that there is internal security breaches. All companys have that problem and most of them have internal security teams that watch employees that have access to that.

The biggest flaw with people blaming Blizzard, which is easy to do, is that there is no evidence to support the theories. Someone needs to cite a source that shows an employee geting fired for doing that. Or a document or internal memo showing underhanded or questionable action. Or a communication leak somewhere. Sure, blame Blizzard. But do it with some common sense and with reason. Do it based on fact or substantial evidence.

You can theorycraft into the ground how its Blizzards fault your account got stolen. But simply put, its far more probable that somewhere sometime you released information that led to it.

• cirdanxcirdanx Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by jessian

http://www.wowguideonline.com/blog/2010/07/08/banned-blizzard-doesnt-like-you-to-speak-your-mind/

Me and my friends have been discussing lately all of the people that are getting hacked. I saw a lot of people posting complaining about this on the WoW Forums. So I decided to add a theory we have been talking about. Our belief is that Blizzard themselves may be behind all of the hacking. This lead me to make the post below on the Blizzard Forums General Discussion Forum.

A lot of people are being hacked these days. People are getting phishing emails on their account email address even thought they don’t use it anywhere else. One friend of mine even let her account expire for two months, came back, reactivated that account and got hacked. Another friend got hacked twice in 2 weeks. How is this happening? The answer is simple…

/tinfoil hat

Interesting.

I find all of that really odd too.

I also work in the IT business, and while it´s true that there is no such thing like 100% security, i do everything possible to protect my computer and my personal informations.

Also, i´m playing these kind of games for over ten years now and not once has an account of mine been compromised until Blizzard included WoW into the Battle.net. One week after the change my account was hacked and it´s not comprehensible for me in any way how this was my fault.

"i'm a leaf on the wind watch how i soar"

Originally posted by cirdanx

Originally posted by jessian

/tinfoil hat

Interesting.

I find all of that really odd too.

I also work in the IT business, and while it´s true that there is no such thing like 100% security, i do everything possible to protect my computer and my personal informations.

Also, i´m playing these kind of games for over ten years now and not once has an account of mine been compromised until Blizzard included WoW into the Battle.net. One week after the change my account was hacked and it´s not comprehensible for me in any way how this was my fault.

It is strange how blizzard that is aware of the growing issues of hacked accounts (and i believe some within that company know all about it) and they come up with the authenticator !!

wonder how many players get hacked after using that device, as if it still continues to have hacked accounts then why isnt this getting take more seriously and players suing Blizzard ??

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Ill explain this again.

Are you sure it isn't the aliens at Area 51 that are doing all of this?  Perhaps the ghosts of ancient WoW ancestors?

Completely ignoring the fact that all of what you stated is wild speculation only...following your math, the gold selling company is paying $1,000 for (at most) a couple hundred in return (100 accounts will only amount to about $2-$3 of sellable gold each).   Getting back to reality...I can make a bunch of wild-*** speculations too...doesn't make it real.  Please point to anything that provides the least bit of validation.

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Locked:  Duplicate Thread

Please refer to this thread to continue the conversation:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/288999/Official-My-account-has-been-compromised-Thread.html

This discussion has been closed.