Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA response to consumer about APB

Comments

• DrGreenbacksDrGreenbacks Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by NyQuil81

Originally posted by DrGreenbacks

Originally posted by Horusra

read your order of emails wrong....but what the guy above me said...in the first email there is a qualifier to get the free game.

Clever trick from EA isn't it? I read the email correctly  from the start; however, they did ask me to choose a game for downloading, didn't they??

No, they didnt!  Didnt we cover this?  The timeline of emails in your OP runs from bottom to top. 

"We understand that you purchased APB and since the game is no longer available to play, you'd like us to refund the purchase amount you spent on it. While refunding the amount is not possible in this case, as a refund to what you've lost, we're offering you a free game from EA Store "http://eastore.ea.com". If you purchased the game after 7/15/2010 then you are eligible for this offer and can select any game you would wish with a couple of exceptions as noted below:"

Here they explicitly state that IF you bought the game after 7/15, you get a new one.  And they tell you how to submit proof of date of purchase.  Here is your response:

" I do have an html file from my steam account that clearly labels the June 29th purchase."  "If possible I'd like Dragon age: Awakenings as my first choice."

You tell them that you dont meet their criteria, then ask for a game.  They respond with:

" In this case, we must limit the offer to purchases within 60 days of the game's closure date. As your purchase did occur before 7/15/10, we will be unable to provide further compensation in this regard.

Please understand that we do value you as a customer and as a show of our appreciation, we would like to provide you with a coupon good towards 25% off a future purchase from the EA Online Store."

What is so unclear about this timeline of events?  EA has standard customer service responses, you got all of them yet seemed to ignore their content.  This is not their fault.

And why should I feel good about this exactly?

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Got Dragon Age Awakening with no issues myself. Okay maybe I got the game for £19.99 on release day, but with a simple image snip on my email reciept the date was the 16th :) Hats off to EA for even doing this.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Ea didnt make this game It wasnt created by ea. It was just published by them what about this dont u understand.

Ea gave sims online almost 4 yrs. Bioware mythis has 2 mmos i know of at this moment still live.

As for reviews of sw tor they are just at the start of beta with release not schedule for over 6 months. Why would u let a magazine review u at this time.

come febuary march maybe now never. Right now they are dong small closed beta/'s Its not diffrent then how blizzard handles things.

Once they get to a stage they feel comfotable withim sure bioware/mythic will let the media review this game. They arent stupid they know what a positive review on beta would mean to there sales.

Apb was put out by a small stuido with limitied resources. Sw tor is put out by bioware a gaming giant in conosole rpgs . Much like blizzard the have the resources to give sw tor the time to grow all new mmos need.

Where is this policy from before?  What is it?

Read the www.massively.com article.

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/27/ea-giving-free-game-to-disgruntled-apb-buyers/

Only article I see...and it says nothing about policy.

What's the title of the article??

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Where is this policy from before?  What is it?

Read the www.massively.com article.

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/27/ea-giving-free-game-to-disgruntled-apb-buyers/

Only article I see...and it says nothing about policy.

What's the title of the article??

THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO USE IN COURT...LOLOLOLOLOL...that a separate website writing an eye catching title for an article is a policy of a separate entity.....oh lord....please...please go to court...I want to be there.....this will be great.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

Why are you ok with this? Why do you think it's fair? Why are you buying into the company line? Just curious.

So because I was able to correctly read and interpret automated customer service emails, I think its fair and am buying into the company line?  No, I clearly stated in my first post that the policy looks like it sucks.  Its a bad policy.  But I understand the policy, and would not expect any company to go above and beyond their stated policies.  But because I think your response to them was grossly unreasonable, i'm on their side?  Nah, I didnt buy the game, cause it didnt look good.  I don't care one way or the other.  I'm just trying to point out that your blustering is due solely to your own misunderstanding.

Originally posted by kalinis

Ea didnt make this game It wasnt created by ea. It was just published by them what about this dont u understand.

Ea gave sims online almost 4 yrs. Bioware mythis has 2 mmos i know of at this moment still live.

As for reviews of sw tor they are just at the start of beta with release not schedule for over 6 months. Why would u let a magazine review u at this time.

come febuary march maybe now never. Right now they are dong small closed beta/'s Its not diffrent then how blizzard handles things.

Once they get to a stage they feel comfotable withim sure bioware/mythic will let the media review this game. They arent stupid they know what a positive review on beta would mean to there sales.

Apb was put out by a small stuido with limitied resources. Sw tor is put out by bioware a gaming giant in conosole rpgs . Much like blizzard the have the resources to give sw tor the time to grow all new mmos need.

When you see "EA" on the box are you going to proceed with caution??

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by kalinis

When you see "EA" on the box are you going to proceed with caution??

Maybe but when I see a topic with DRGREENBACKS as the OP I am going to read it for a laugh.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

read your order of emails wrong....but what the guy above me said...in the first email there is a qualifier to get the free game.

Clever trick from EA isn't it? I read the email correctly  from the start; however, they did ask me to choose a game for downloading, didn't they??

That's what you get for trusting EA. However, speaking with EA customer representatives is a waste of time. Not many work for more than the minimum salary and they must reply with pre-written statements. Phone is the best option, for friendly dispute resolve. The next step would be a written legal "formal demand". After that, it would be best to take the situation before a local judge.

You will probably win if you are in a small city as they wont pay a lawyer to represent them that will cost them 200$ win or lose. However be sure to be able to prove that the EULA did not change 30 days prior to the servers closing, and that they in fact did not post anywhere 30 days before the servers closure that this would happen. If they have posted it, and you want to try your luck, be sure to prove that they did not email you about the server closures and argue that not doing so proves that it was posted in bad faith, with the intention of getting a last round of payments.

If you were emailed however, take the 25%.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Way to mislead readers by posting your emails in a bottom-up fashion. The only reason I can think of doing this is to falsely incite rage toward EA. Troll. ><

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Why would they send an lawyer...they would just file a motion to dismiss for lack of standing due to EA not being the owner and holding no liability in the company that created and ran APB.  Unless EA was running the servers they have not liability except an agreement to provide cash to APB in return for them getting the returns for sales of the software and a return on their investment.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Benthon

Way to mislead readers by posting your emails in a bottom-up fashion. The only reason I can think of doing this is to falsely incite rage toward EA. Troll. ><

Considering his reply to one of the poster in this thread was "They offered me a free game and then took that offer away, look at the OP!!" he was clearly out to twist the facts to get people on his side.

But kudos to him for trying to stick with it when pretty much everyone that has replied has told him he is wrong and foolish.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

In a game related but totally off topic subject i was walking through Walmart yesterday 9-28-10 and they still had APB for sale ha ha. Would hate to be the poor bastard who hasn't kept up to date with the game and turned around and bought it. Im sure in this case they would have to give a 100% refund but then again knowing that store they would say its the consumers fault and not theirs for selling games no longer in service.

Why would they send an lawyer...they would just file a motion to dismiss for lack of standing due to EA not being the owner and holding no liability in the company that created and ran APB.  Unless EA was running the servers they have not liability except an agreement to provide cash to APB in return for them getting the returns for sales of the software and a return on their investment.

The destributor is at fault, always. He must then solve his problems with the company for whom he destributes. The reason for that is simple:

1. My company is in china. I want to sell a product in France.

2. A French distributor thinks my product has potential and sells it.

3. Two months later, my product contains illegal materials that can cause harm to health. Therefor, the distributor must recall the product and settle the costs and problems they caused with me.

This protects the buyer from what is pretty much fraud as he always has legal ressources against someone who is legally bound to follow the laws of his country. Perhaps you can still get away with such things in Africa. But not in Europe and North America.

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by elminses

Dude you bought before 7/15 they aren't going to give you the money back.

I would suggest that if you used a credit card, you call the company and have the transaction reversed. I know here in Wisconsin you can reverse a credit payment up to 6 months after it was made, Specially if you have proof that the service or item you bought isn't to a satisfactory level.

Just a heads up. Always use a credit card vs a debit card, Debit cards have no protection once the money is gone.

If you do this, the second it hits steam they will lock your entire account. Happened to me.  It takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks to get it resolved.  You will lose access to every steam based game you have in the meantime.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Considering his reply to one of the poster in this thread was "They offered me a free game and then took that offer away, look at the OP!!" he was clearly out to twist the facts to get people on his side.

But kudos to him for trying to stick with it when pretty much everyone that has replied has told him he is wrong and foolish.

Foolish, perhaps.

Wrong, maybe not, if the EULA part he posted is indeed right, then he was wronged by the company. You can't ask people to agree to something and then not even follow your own rules.

See this:

Agreement.

1. We cannot hit each other in the face.

2. I do not have to follow this agreement.

*Punches you in the face*

Not only do they force the EULA only after the product is puchased, which invalidates it in many regions, but they cannot only bind 1 party to the rules included in them, they must, in turn, follow their own rules. If they mentionned that there would be a 30 day warning before ceasasion of operations, then they must give 30 days of warning. Even 29.9999 is NOT 30 days. We might have to shut down in 30 days is NOT a warning.

We will be shutting down in 30 days on DATE:TIME is 30 days warning.

I am in no way trying to mislead readers. I posted the email in the exact way it is presented. That's how emails read, bottom up. There is not intent to deceive. I am not trolling. I am just trying to share my experience with EA customer service. I don't understand where the hostility is coming from. I don't have an issue with you.

Originally posted by itbewilly

In a game related but totally off topic subject i was walking through Walmart yesterday 9-28-10 and they still had APB for sale ha ha. Would hate to be the poor bastard who hasn't kept up to date with the game and turned around and bought it. Im sure in this case they would have to give a 100% refund but then again knowing that store they would say its the consumers fault and not theirs for selling games no longer in service.

Walmart here gives full refund for things they shouldnt give refunds. Simple reason, maybe they lose 200$, but losing 200$ is nothing compared to losing 10 customers. Not only that, but the happy customer that screwed the company, tells his friends, man go buy there and if you dont like what you bought, just say it doesn't work, and they give you a full refund without really checking. People then go there, buy the stuff, and like the product, don't waste their time asking for refunds at every season. Walmart wins.

Walmart have smart owners. EA on the other hand...

Originally posted by jackmcleod

Foolish, perhaps.

Wrong, maybe not, if the EULA part he posted is indeed right, then he was wronged by the company. You can't ask people to agree to something and then not even follow your own rules.

See this:

Agreement.

Not only do they force the EULA only after the product is puchased, which invalidates it in many regions, but they cannot only bind 1 party to the rules included in them, they must, in turn, follow their own rules. If they mentionned that there would be a 30 day warning before ceasasion of operations, then they must give 30 days of warning. Even 29.9999 is NOT 30 days. We might have to shut down in 30 days is NOT a warning.

See, what you're saying here is the right way to go about things. However, the OP knowingly mislead readers and then compounded it by exclaiming "Look they gave me a free game and then took it away". Talk about manipulation in order to get people on your side.

I am in no way trying to mislead readers. I posted the email in the exact way it is presented. That's how emails read, bottom up. There is not intent to deceive. I am not trolling. I am just trying to share my experience with EA customer service. I don't understand where the hostility is coming from. I don't have an issue with you.

Let me explain something simple.

In Europe and North America, texts are read this way:

LEFT TO RIGHT

TOP TO BOTTOM

People read your posts, not your emails.

Also my emails always read top to bottom. I use Gmail.

LEFT TO RIGHT

TOP TO BOTTOM

You're right. You won the argument, let's move on.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

I bought the game from Steam on June 28th. First live chat I got nothing. Second one, after much ranting (I was rude as hell; talking about EA being thieves and there being thousands of victims) about consumer rights and such, I got the chance to show my receipts (Steam purchase history + e-mail) through remote desktop. He saw the receipts, didn't mention the purchase date, gave me the list with EA games and I choose. It's activated and I've already played.

TL:DR I got a digital game, Battlefield Bad Company 2, as a refund!

They offered me a free game then retracted the offer! Seriously!! read the post.

Pretty sure you're trying to mislead readers.

LEFT TO RIGHT

TOP TO BOTTOM

You're right. You won the argument, let's move on.

So this thread is over and this thread is a troll thread now?

Foolish, perhaps.

See this:

Agreement.

See, what you're saying here is the right way to go about things. However, the OP knowingly mislead readers and then compounded it by exclaiming "Look they gave me a free game and then took it away". Talk about manipulation in order to get people on your side.

I am not trying to get you on my side. Just look at the facts. Do you trust EA after reading this story about their customer service? Do you feel better about the prospects of future purchases. When you see EA on the box, are you going to think, hey this is a great company that treats their customers right?

This discussion has been closed.