Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the 5 most populated F2P MMORPGs?

AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

Title says it all. Just looking for the more populated F2P MMO's! 

Thanks,

Advanced

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

There was a report that Runes of Magic had 4 million active accounts.  Don't know how valid that is now though.  Although I'd still bet on it being up there, as far as being amongst the most popular.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Umm.. if I had to ball park it;

1. Runescape

2. Maple Story

3. Perfect World

4. Mabinogi

5. Something...

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• HaurusHaurus Member UncommonPosts: 18

Runescape

Maple Story

Tibia

Perfect world

D&D Online

Runes of magic is one of the best rated FTP MMO's but its player base is still small as its a newer game.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

1.) D&D Online

2.) LOTR Online

3.) Mahbinogi

4.) Vindictus

5.) Uncharted Waters Online 

I used the facebook fan pages as a benchmark I did not include browser games like runescape

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by GTwander

1. Runescape

2. Maple Story

3. Perfect World

4. Mabinogi

5. Something...

Slap DOFUS in that last spot.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I don't know.

i don't speak chinese. Find out what the top MMOs are in China and you have your list.

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

Allods and Dungeon Fighter Online are pretty chill with a decent playerbase.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Runes of Magic should fit in there somewhere as its got a fairly healthy population still for a F2P game. I still think LOTRO and DDO beat them out as far as content quality & population goes.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

What about Second Life is that considered. I read it has a huge economy people making money in real life off it too.

Chamber of Chains
  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by cheyane

What about Second Life is that considered. I read it has a huge economy people making money in real life off it too.

The player base is only in the hundreds of thousands. Which, is relatively small for F2P games. 

People make real money off it, but don't expect to make anything if you don't have a considerable real life investment equal to that of starting a real life business. (Tens of Thousands of Dollars USD)

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by GTwander

1. Runescape

2. Maple Story

3. Perfect World

4. Mabinogi

5. Something...

Slap DOFUS in that last spot.

Dofus is not free to play.  It's more of an unlimited trial with VERY limited content. If you want to get past level 10 (you can level to 200), you are practically forced to pay the monthly fee. 

Runescape

Maple Story

Lord of the Rings Online

DDO

Runes of Magic

...is my guess in no particular order.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I dont' know.  The population on xfire for ddo, atlantica online, and silkroad is quite high.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Problem is there is no actual way of knowing.

Some games will say "We have millions of active accounts" of course you do it is F2P so any account made is basically always active.

XFire (which does not constitute any sort of factual information as far as the exact order of population goes) shows the following for MMOs so pick out the F2P:

• WoW

• Aion

• LotRO

• Eve

• Silkroad Online

• Guild Wars

• CABAL Online

• Runes of MAgic

• Atlantica Online

• Maple Story

• Need for Speed World

• Metin 2

• Mabinogi

• AoC

• Battle of the Immortals

• Perfect World

• DDO

• Fiesta

• Warhammer

• Shaiya

• Air Rivals

• RuneScape

So since I've never heard of some of those games and don't care to take the time to research them it looks like it might go something like this (since you also specified the RPG part and not just MMOs):

LotRO

GW

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

Maple Story

DDO

Runescape

War

Some selection of those is probably the top 5 since there are tons of people who don't use XFire. In this case XFire helps since you are looking for populated (and I read that as lots of people in the gameworld when you log in not accounts created) and this goes by hours played by people who use xfire.

• HerochevHerochev Member Posts: 7

1.Runescape

2.Second life

3.Maplestory

4.Perfect World

5.Mabinogi

• lotecoloteco Member Posts: 5

wow... never knew that wow isnt in the top 5, well of course on xfire, but never thought that people's views would not include it.

• GibbiGibbi Member UncommonPosts: 1

Wow isn't free.

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by neodavie

Allods and Dungeon Fighter Online are pretty chill with a decent playerbase.

I'm pretty sure Allods has almost no-one playing it; unless the American servers are literally full to the brim. But on the EU servers at least I can't imagine there being more than 3000 active players/

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by Haurus

Runescape

Maple Story

Tibia

Perfect world

D&D Online

Runes of magic is one of the best rated FTP MMO's but its player base is still small as its a newer game.

lol Tibia is awesome, not ever given a fair chance ;P 

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

So since I've never heard of some of those games and don't care to take the time to research them it looks like it might go something like this (since you also specified the RPG part and not just MMOs):

LotRO

GW

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

Maple Story

DDO

Runescape

War

Some selection of those is probably the top 5 since there are tons of people who don't use XFire. In this case XFire helps since you are looking for populated (and I read that as lots of people in the gameworld when you log in not accounts created) and this goes by hours played by people who use xfire.

GW isn't F2P, its buy to play; there is a huge difference.  Also, I don't think the xFire stats would be representative of the GW player-base at all.  xFire used to have severe issues with the DirectX interpolation with GW a while back so a lot of GW players I knew never adopted xFire.