Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will EA burn SWTOR players too?

Just got burned by EA on APB. Are they going to burn people who buy SWTOR as well??

Comments

• DrGreenbacksDrGreenbacks Member Posts: 214

Looking forward to hearing from prospective buyers about SWTOR.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

That simply depends on the success of the game.

What happened to APB is spectacular because it happened so quickly, but honestly, there's no way around getting burned when an MMO shuts down.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

This was in no way a 'typical' shutdown. Everything about it was atypical. It was the shortest lived mmo in history.

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

The Star Wars MMO looks like a goofy cartoon.  No way I'm paying money to play that.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I doubt SWTOR will have an early shutdown. Bioware is developing it, and that alone will hold a lot of sway into keeping it open.

That said, I still think EA will burn players via ridiculous amounts of RMT.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Originally posted by Sunioj

The Star Wars MMO looks like a goofy cartoon.  No way I'm paying money to play that.

Excellent thread contribution, 5 star post, would read again.

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

See you in game.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by DrGreenbacks

Just got burned by EA on APB. Are they going to burn people who buy SWTOR as well??

I find it funny that you are no on some personal EA rant. You should also do some resource and you will find that Bioware is owned outright by EA so if anything did happen with SWTOR then EA would be soley reliable for it.

I can just about bet money that if EA had there way they would have scoped up Realtime Worlds and kept APB running if the price was within reasion. But the simple fact that the administration had apprased and was asking for over $100 million for APB put it squarely outside of most companies buying / risk range.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

<smiles> with a project that cost over 100 million you try everything possible to keep it alive and generating money.

SW;TOR needs to sell like 5M copies before its starts generating money....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Thomas2006

I find it funny that you are no on some personal EA rant. You should also do some resource and you will find that Bioware is owned outright by EA so if anything did happen with SWTOR then EA would be soley reliable for it.

I can just about bet money that if EA had there way they would have scoped up Realtime Worlds and kept APB running if the price was within reasion. But the simple fact that the administration had apprased and was asking for over $100 million for APB put it squarely outside of most companies buying / risk range.

I'm not on a rant. I'm just following up on what I already promised EA that I would do. It's follow through. People have a right to know what EA's customer's service is like so that they can make better decisions than myself.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

with a project that cost over 100 million you try everything possible to keep it alive and generating money.

APB had 100 million invested in it as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No that game by NCSOFT was shorter,they wanted to scam Garriot of a promised wage/salary of 20+ million and his brothers position in the compnay as well.

EA caught for scamming workers of wages [overtime] i can only imagine that PROOF had to be provided and the workers only got what they had proof for,i am sure a lot was never put into the books.

Ea recently laid off a ton of workers,they don't care if yesterday you helped make them millions,if tommorrow they see a decline,the heirarchy will lose their bonuses,so they can as many as needed.I wouldn't trust not only EA nor NCSOFT but any of these game developers.We need much better gaming laws to protect the consumer just as good as the developers are protected.

Steam is another company in line for some massive,negative feedback they are true scammers as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

with a project that cost over 100 million you try everything possible to keep it alive and generating money.

Well, actually it will start generating money from the moment the first person subs up.    To turn a profit will not require 5M copes sold, but rather X number of copies sold over Y months paid.   

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Heres one huge diffrence. Bioware is good at rpgs. U bought a game if u buy a game for teh console and it sucks u dont get your money back. Apb went belly up because its studio did. Bioware isnt going anwhere. Plus the star wars brand alone with the fact its gonna be more of a wow kind of mmo vs a huge sandbox that galaxies was means it will in all likelyhood a huge success.

bioware/mythic has mmos in the market place already. Its not like they are a fly by nite outfit. Ea did good by my gf on her sims online when it went offline after like 4 yrs. So i have no issue with how ea handles things.

U bought a game hoping it would be a success it wasnt. Your bad. This game sounded stupid from the start. Bioware is also not gonna rush this game which apb devs did. So U lost your 40-50 dollars so what . u got to play apb for almost 6 months.

Most console games get less play then that.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Your an idiot for even comparing the two. I read your other thread and you need to grow up and get over it. Take you 25% off and be happy you even got that.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Yes APB shut down and yes you're mad about it.

1) Do some research on a product before buying it, you would have known the game was not going to last.

2) EA being the publisher only has so much of the responsibility there and you're not going to win

3)No need to make multiple posts in different game forums about how you feel that you got duped. Nothing is going to come from it and it will happen again at some point in your life too.

I personally don't like EA because I feel they destroy good franchises when they gain control of them (C&C to name one). I also think their games are all flashy graphics and explosions with no real substance at all. However, I don't think they really owe you anything in this particular situation and I also think you are just making yourself look foolish with all of this e-ranting that will accomplish nothing. And I think SW:tOR won't be anywhere near as great as people think.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Wizardry

No that game by NCSOFT was shorter,they wanted to scam Garriot of a promised wage/salary of 20+ million and his brothers position in the compnay as well.

EA caught for scamming workers of wages [overtime] i can only imagine that PROOF had to be provided and the workers only got what they had proof for,i am sure a lot was never put into the books.

Ea recently laid off a ton of workers,they don't care if yesterday you helped make them millions,if tommorrow they see a decline,the heirarchy will lose their bonuses,so they can as many as needed.I wouldn't trust not only EA nor NCSOFT but any of these game developers.We need much better gaming laws to protect the consumer just as good as the developers are protected.

Steam is another company in line for some massive,negative feedback they are true scammers as well.

Jeez. Tinfoil hat much?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Originally posted by Arquiteto

Your an idiot for even comparing the two. I read your other thread and you need to grow up and get over it. Take you 25% off and be happy you even got that.

Where's the hatred coming from? What did I do to you?

Im sorry i still dont understand why people are upset they arent gettign there money back. Apb did not have the budget of sw tor. Plus lets face it apb was a risk from the start. That kind of mmo had never been made before. or been a success.

U made a gamble when u bought the game it woudl be a succsss it failed. get over it. Thats what id do . If swtor flops and its not any good and ive bought the game im not gonna whine after i got to play it for 6 months give me money back.

Ill just go play wow some more. U bought a game it didnt become a success the company went bankrupt and shut down all operations. Bioware is a huge company with hue resources much like blizzard. They have the resources to give sw tor the kind of time most new mmos need to become a success.

Im sorry apb flamed out but u took a chance on buying the game in the first place. Very few people actually thought it would be a sucess. Not enough replayability in it.

this is another reason sw tor will work better alot of  replayability with its story driven game play.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

To be honest agree above,

EA owes you nothing.

Bioware is owned by EA,  so in that case they do.

APB not owned by EA,  they are just the publisher.  I actually think they are being kind by give you a free game in exchange.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Lemme guess...SWG player?

I for one dont have any hate i just dont see why people are blaming ea. Last i looked apb was put out by a small studio with limited resources to begin with. Maybe it was a part of the whole ea umbrella but the studio in question wasnt a huge game developer like bioware.

Plus u bought a game u got to play it for 6 months. Sure it went belly up but in the mmo industry there is no guarantee of success. U knew when u bought the game it could flop and if it did ud get stuck holdin the bag.

Ea is a buisness with a pretty good track record for console games. Bioware/mythic has a huge rpg influence in console games and even has a couple mmos that while not on wow success level are considered succesful mmos.

This all means sw tor has a much better shot at survival then apb. Just cause apb went bell up doesnt mean u can compare the 2 games. If apb had been putout by bioware it wouldnt of been rushed and 2 it would of had alot more tim e to be succesful.

If this was a game u bought for console or pc that wasnt a mmo and u didnt like it u wouldnt of got yoru money back. I know mmos are difffrent they are a persistent world and weras u still get to keep the console and computer game to play if u ever change your mind and u cant with apb u still got a good 6 months out of it.

I just dont think ea owes u even the 20 pct. U took a chance on an mmo that at the start was getting horrid reviews. From a small stuido with limited resources. the odds were never in your favor.

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Did you read the developer blog from the DEV at APB who discussed in detail why it failed and how REAL TIME WORLDS totally screwed the pooch? EA made an executive decision to plug a hole in the sinking ship. BioWare has never made this type of mistake, and has multiple platforms and gamelines to support themselves as a comapnay. I feel your pain on APB, and yes, it totally could have been avoided. But RTW was the cause of that, not EA.   I'm not going to continue to pay you tons of money if you aren't prducing what you say you will, ignoring your customers, and generally being an asshat. BioWare is not them. While I understand your worry, IMO it's like convincing yourself to prepare for a hurrican in georgia just because one hit china.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

TLDR: No, EA never screwed anyone to begin with RTW did that alll by themselves. Hell. I though ea was ebing cool as hell offering a free game to the subscribers. My buddy got BFBC2 for nothing just by contacting customer support. But then again he didnt walk into a store and plunk down 10$ more than the digital version for a non returnable product just so he could have "A box".   And steam has always been a bunch of flaming assholes when it comes to returns.

One day a scorpion approached a frog along a river bank.

The scorpion asked, "Froggie, please give me a ride across this wide river."

The frog responded, "I would be a fool to do that. You will sting and paralyze me."

Said the scorpion, "Ridiculous! If I stung you then we would both drown."

Trusting the scorpion's logic the frog agreed and allowed the scorpion onto his back as he swam out into the river.

In the middle of the river the scorpion stung the frog.

As the frog convulsed from the scorpion sting and began to slip beneath the waters he looked back at the scorpion and said, "Why? Why?"

The scorpion answered, "Because I am a scorpion, and it is my nature."

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Ceridith

I doubt SWTOR will have an early shutdown. Bioware is developing it, and that alone will hold a lot of sway into keeping it open.

That said, I still think EA will burn players via ridiculous amounts of RMT.

How dare you accuse EA of even contemplating such an unethical and mercenary course of action.

How dare you!

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• donjoedonjoe Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by SwampRob

Well, actually it will start generating money from the moment the first person subs up.    To turn a profit will not require 5M copes sold, but rather X number of copies sold over Y months paid.   

You guys are both mistaken. SWTOR has already been making money: they started selling stuff like t-shits, collecting figures, etc. Money will be earned by a lot of ways and not only by getting subs from ppl who actually will play the game. Merchandising is the word this days prior to lunch.

This discussion has been closed.