Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA response to consumer about APB

I own APB. I purchased it on Steam. I'd like to take advantage of the refund ...

Customer 09/29/2010 07:35 AM

From the APB website:"TO PLAY THE GAME, YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE WITH THE ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE. PURCHASE INCLUDES 50 HOURS OF ACTION DISTRICT GAMEPLAY. ADDITIONAL GAMEPLAY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE. ONLY ONE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE PER GAME. INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED. USER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL APPLICABLE INTERNET FEES. ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS, GAMEPLAY PURCHASE DETAILS AND FEATURE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT www.APB.com. YOU MUST BE 18+ TO REGISTER ONLINE AND PLAY THIS GAME. REALTIME WORLDS MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE. REALTIME WORLDS MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.APB.com"

30 days notice was not given regarding the shutdown of APB. This is a breach of contract. Please refund my money or give me another game.

Customer 09/28/2010 01:27 PM

Hello:

During my first question I said explicitly that I purchased the game on June 29th, 2010.

Your team responded with this:"We understand that you purchased APB and since the game is no longer available to play, you'd like us to refund the purchase amount you spent on it. While refunding the amount is not possible in this case, as a refund to what you've lost, we're offering you a free game from EA Store "http://eastore.ea.com". "

Are you kidding me?? Change your policy. Go to your manager and tell them that your policy is not good customer service.

If you don't provide me with another game immediately I will tell everyone I know on every forum imaginable how EA treats its customers and I will refuse to purchase another game from EA.

As my purchase history shows, I've made multiple purchases from EA so not only will you lose a paying and loyal customer, but earn an outspoken critic of your company.

Response (Gabriel) 09/28/2010 11:40 AM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts regarding APB.

We can certainly understand the frustration you have experienced over the recent closure of the APB servers. We, alongside you, were saddened to learn of these recent developments. 

We at EA have worked to provide a working resolution for customers who recently purchased APB, either through the EA Store or a Third-Party Retailer. 

As with all offerings, however, there is a limit to the length of time these compensatory offerings can be provided. In this case, we must limit the offer to purchases within 60 days of the game's closure date. As your purchase did occur before 7/15/10, we will be unable to provide further compensation in this regard.

Please understand that we do value you as a customer and as a show of our appreciation, we would like to provide you with a coupon good towards 25% off a future purchase from the EA Online Store.

To use your code please visit the EA Online Store at http://eastore.ea.com and enter the code in the "Promotional" field at check-out.

Once again, thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Gabriel,

EA Online Support

Customer 09/27/2010 01:39 PM

Hello:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I don't have the original email that you requested, however I do have an html file from my steam account that clearly labels the June 29th purchase. You can see I already own a lot of ea games, lol.

If possible I'd like Dragon age: Awakenings as my first choice.

I already own Dragon age origins, Left for dead 2, Mass effect, etc... You can see on my steam account.

If this is not available I'd like the Sabateour.

Response (Marco) 09/27/2010 01:16 PM

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Support.

We understand that you purchased APB and since the game is no longer available to play, you'd like us to refund the purchase amount you spent on it. While refunding the amount is not possible in this case, as a refund to what you've lost, we're offering you a free game from EA Store "http://eastore.ea.com". If you purchased the game after 7/15/2010 then you are eligible for this offer and can select any game you would wish with a couple of exceptions as noted below: 

· Only those games for which we've Digital Download version available on EA Store can be selected. 

· Please do not select a game which is not released yet. 

In order to proceed with the refund request; along with the name of the game you'd like to play, we will also need the proof of your APB purchase:

1. In case of box version - attach the scanned copy of your purchase receipt in this email. 

2. In case of downloadable version, please provide the screenshot of your purchase proof (Email from the retailer).

3. In case of digital download version from EA Store, provide us the order #.

Once you've provided us the proof of your purchase and name of the game you'd wish to have, we'll entitle it on your account and then you will have to use the EA Download Manager to download the game. If you do not have EADM, you can download it here: http://eastore.ea.com/eadm 

Thank you! 

EA Customer Support

Customer 09/27/2010 10:07 AM

I own APB. I purchased it on Steam. I'd like to take advantage of the refund offer that I read about on Massively.com.

Here is the transaction from Steam:

Jun 29, 2010$49.99Purchase

All Points Bulletin (NA)I own APB. I purchased it on Steam. I'd like to take advantage of the refund ...

From the APB website:"TO PLAY THE GAME, YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE WITH THE ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE. PURCHASE INCLUDES 50 HOURS OF ACTION DISTRICT GAMEPLAY. ADDITIONAL GAMEPLAY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE. ONLY ONE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE PER GAME. INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED. USER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL APPLICABLE INTERNET FEES. ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS, GAMEPLAY PURCHASE DETAILS AND FEATURE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT www.APB.com. YOU MUST BE 18+ TO REGISTER ONLINE AND PLAY THIS GAME. REALTIME WORLDS MAY PROVIDE CERTAIN INCREMENTAL CONTENT AND/OR UPDATES FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, IF AND WHEN AVAILABLE. REALTIME WORLDS MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.APB.com"

30 days notice was not given regarding the shutdown of APB. This is a breach of contract. Please refund my money or give me another game.

Hello:

During my first question I said explicitly that I purchased the game on June 29th, 2010.

Your team responded with this:"We understand that you purchased APB and since the game is no longer available to play, you'd like us to refund the purchase amount you spent on it. While refunding the amount is not possible in this case, as a refund to what you've lost, we're offering you a free game from EA Store "http://eastore.ea.com". "

Are you kidding me?? Change your policy. Go to your manager and tell them that your policy is not good customer service.

If you don't provide me with another game immediately I will tell everyone I know on every forum imaginable how EA treats its customers and I will refuse to purchase another game from EA.

As my purchase history shows, I've made multiple purchases from EA so not only will you lose a paying and loyal customer, but earn an outspoken critic of your company.

Hello,

We can certainly understand the frustration you have experienced over the recent closure of the APB servers. We, alongside you, were saddened to learn of these recent developments. 

We at EA have worked to provide a working resolution for customers who recently purchased APB, either through the EA Store or a Third-Party Retailer. 

As with all offerings, however, there is a limit to the length of time these compensatory offerings can be provided. In this case, we must limit the offer to purchases within 60 days of the game's closure date. As your purchase did occur before 7/15/10, we will be unable to provide further compensation in this regard.

Please understand that we do value you as a customer and as a show of our appreciation, we would like to provide you with a coupon good towards 25% off a future purchase from the EA Online Store.

To use your code please visit the EA Online Store at http://eastore.ea.com and enter the code in the "Promotional" field at check-out.

Regards,

Gabriel,

EA Online Support

Hello:

I don't have the original email that you requested, however I do have an html file from my steam account that clearly labels the June 29th purchase. You can see I already own a lot of ea games, lol.

I already own Dragon age origins, Left for dead 2, Mass effect, etc... You can see on my steam account.

Greetings,

We understand that you purchased APB and since the game is no longer available to play, you'd like us to refund the purchase amount you spent on it. While refunding the amount is not possible in this case, as a refund to what you've lost, we're offering you a free game from EA Store "http://eastore.ea.com". If you purchased the game after 7/15/2010 then you are eligible for this offer and can select any game you would wish with a couple of exceptions as noted below: 

· Only those games for which we've Digital Download version available on EA Store can be selected. 

In order to proceed with the refund request; along with the name of the game you'd like to play, we will also need the proof of your APB purchase:

1. In case of box version - attach the scanned copy of your purchase receipt in this email. 

2. In case of downloadable version, please provide the screenshot of your purchase proof (Email from the retailer).

Once you've provided us the proof of your purchase and name of the game you'd wish to have, we'll entitle it on your account and then you will have to use the EA Download Manager to download the game. If you do not have EADM, you can download it here: http://eastore.ea.com/eadm 

Thank you! 

EA Customer Support

I own APB. I purchased it on Steam. I'd like to take advantage of the refund offer that I read about on Massively.com.

All Points Bulletin (NA)I own APB. I purchased it on Steam. I'd like to take advantage of the refund ...

Hello:

Hello,

Regards,

Gabriel,

EA Online Support

Hello:

Greetings,

Thank you! 

EA Customer Support

All Points Bulletin (NA)

Comments

• elminseselminses Member UncommonPosts: 59

Dude you bought before 7/15 they aren't going to give you the money back.

I would suggest that if you used a credit card, you call the company and have the transaction reversed. I know here in Wisconsin you can reverse a credit payment up to 6 months after it was made, Specially if you have proof that the service or item you bought isn't to a satisfactory level.

Just a heads up. Always use a credit card vs a debit card, Debit cards have no protection once the money is gone.

• DrGreenbacksDrGreenbacks Member Posts: 214

You are right, but it's very poor customer service. I want to share this with the world.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

What Elminses said. 

They're offering the refund to those that bought AFTER 7-15, not before.

Sucks, yes, but that's what they're saying, and you don't seem to be getting it.

• RosmariiniRosmariini Member UncommonPosts: 154

Better than nothing though

Currently playing: N/A :(
    Retired from: GW, WAR, Aion, LOTRO, Rift, SW:TOR, Vinductus

They changed their policy AFTER the massively article.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Hmm.

Sounds like I should rather refrain from playing SW:TOR, after all.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

My purchase was before 7/15 and I got a $20 code. While not 100% back for me its better than 25% off. One thing to remember is that when you treat the CSR reps civily they respond a lot better to your needs.

Only game from EA that I plan on picking up next is SWTOR and unless the game is more than $80 I made out pretty good.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by elminses

Dude you bought before 7/15 they aren't going to give you the money back.

I would suggest that if you used a credit card, you call the company and have the transaction reversed. I know here in Wisconsin you can reverse a credit payment up to 6 months after it was made, Specially if you have proof that the service or item you bought isn't to a satisfactory level.

Just a heads up. Always use a credit card vs a debit card, Debit cards have no protection once the money is gone.

Other then the fact that charge backs on your CC can put you on a merchant blacklist where the company and other companies will no longer take your CC info. Also this is a form of fraud known as "friendly fraud" within the industry. I know doing a charge back of any kind on a SOE dispute will make it so that you can never use that card ageain for a SOE product / subscription.

The games service was provided for 3 months from launch and last time I checked it nowhere stated that the game would run forever or for a set amount of time.

EA has gone above the call of duty and is providing a partial refund / full refund depending on your day of purchase. Something they did not have to do nor where they required to do so.  They have even extended it to purcahse on Steam something that they did not have to do also. If anything it goes to show they care enough to attempt to right the situation for people.

As far as the providing a notice before closure. In Realtime Worlds situation it was out of there hands the moment the company went into administration. The laws goverin a company in administration superceed anything else that was written / agreed upon before hand. 

• LostHawkLostHawk Member UncommonPosts: 56

They rejected my query too.

I bought before the famous date and they can also see in my EA account that I have... Hellgate London.

Fool me once, errrr.......... not a  third time ! ;)

Originally posted by DrGreenbacks

You are right, but it's very poor customer service. I want to share this with the world.

A free game is pretty decent.  When Tabula Rasa went under, I just got some free month passes for other games.  Good thing I had CoH...

A lame situation, all around, when an MMO goes under...

Originally posted by LostHawk

They rejected my query too.

I bought before the famous date and they can also see in my EA account that I have... Hellgate London.

Fool me once, errrr.......... not a  third time ! ;)

Double-ouch... good thing for me that EA doesn't make games I like, anymore...

Why are you defending or making excuses for EA? I'm just curious. I'm not trying to be unfriendly, I'm just curious...

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

25% discount is crap truthfully they should be held to the contract and required to give a refund whether or not u bought it within 60 days. best bet would be if u know a friend who knows a lot about law and such you get him to help u.

the problem would be whether you want to put that much effort into getting back a single game purchase (if u would rather just have a replacement game this still may be the route to go). either way they are in the wrong here and just because they dont want to loose all the money they made off of selling the game even though they failed to provide the service doesn't mean they are right.

but uhm good luck actualy getting anything back you are gonna need it especialy considering they are a very large company

P.S. if you wanted to go the insane omg i cant believe he is doing that over a game purchase gone bad route, then take them to court and they may settle because its so small and the publicity would be so bad

(am in no way a legal expert this is just stuff i might try in ur situation)

EDIT: dude you played for six months? nevermind the above i thought u had only played like a week or two of the first month nevermind what i said above is for people who actualy got tricked out of money (shuda read exactly how long he played before i posted)

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

AGAIN, anyone who thought APB was going to successed are at blame here.  Based on the description and scope of the game.  How could ANYONE think this game would have any staying power.  Shame on you all!

Momo sucks, I have proof.

If they don't rectify the situation, I'm going to file a class action lawsuit. I have plenty of resources and don't like getting burned.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Why do people think they deserve something...if you bought the game more than 60 days before they closed you really deserve nothing.  They should just give you a sign that says...welcome to the real world, stuff does not always work out.  If you do not like it then stop buying from the company, but stop being whiners.  I must add...please please anyone whining in this thread about EA never buy stocks.

Don't forget reviews were not allowed until a week after the game's release date.

I think that our legal system would disagree.

If they don't rectify the situation, I'm going to file a class action lawsuit. I have plenty of resources and don't like getting burned.

You better hope that EA holds the liability and not the company that ran the game and is now bankrupt.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Sunioj

AGAIN, anyone who thought APB was going to successed are at blame here.  Based on the description and scope of the game.  How could ANYONE think this game would have any staying power.  Shame on you all!

I agree i would have never thought this game to succeed.As to dealing with customner support,no matter how you respond to them,they are always copy and paste and have no power at all,they are told what they can and cannot do anything outside the power they are given by their superiors.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Why are you defending or making excuses for EA? I'm just curious. I'm not trying to be unfriendly, I'm just curious...

Because last time I checked all EA did in this situation was publish the game. They had no control over what happened / happens to APB and Realtime Worlds.  That was all in Realtime Worlds hands and apparently they dropped the ball big time.

The fact that EA is going out of there way to try and correct a situation that was not there fault / they had nothing to do with speaks volumes for them.

I find it bad that us as gamers do not lplace the blame where it should be, but instead look to anything they dislike and point the finger at them. It's a wander someone has not come along and blamed SOE for this in some form. 

I may not like EA as a company and I dislike a fair number of there practices but I am not going to go around pointing the finger and bad mouthing someone / a company when they are attempting to fix a situation that was not there fault / not theres to correct.

If anything the CEO's of Realtime Worlds should have reached in there own pockets (they all made millions of dollars off the game regardless if there free ride ended eariler then they expected) and refunded us.

I think that our legal system would disagree.

system protects you from fraud and harm...not disappointment.

EA is APB's publisher.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

Be more careful about what you spend your money on.  Be a more conscientious consumer.  You can blame companies all you want, but it's no excuse for poor spending habits.  Sure, their policy does look like it sucks big time.  I guess that just adds EA to the list of companies that have bad policies.  I think they were on that list already, anyway.  Good luck with your lawsuit.

the system protects you from breach of contract as well.

This discussion has been closed.