Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's stop with the "no-life" thing

2»

Comments

• rabidwoofrabidwoof Member Posts: 30

Urban Dictionary says it best:

1. Get a life

Phrase used by insecure xenophobes as a response to someone with different hobbies, interests or attitudes to themselves. These people often think they have a lot of friends, but usually nobody really cares for them.
    "You are intelligent, have a high-paid job and a good future? Get a life!"

"You don't like the same things as me? Get a life!"

On the net, no one knows that I'm a dog.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

WAIT WAIT WAIT

So if Iam a gamer who plays games all the time, I have no life,,,

But

If iam a basket Ball player, who plays Basket Ball all the time, I have a life?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by MMOExposed

WAIT WAIT WAIT

So if Iam a gamer who plays games all the time, I have no life,,,

But

If iam a basket Ball player, who plays Basket Ball all the time, I have a life?

No, if you play basketball all the time you still have no life. When I used to play all the time, my friends would say I had no life.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Goronian

I'ev been on these forums for about a year and a half. Since then, I've seen countless accusations of being a "no-life" directed at someone. 

Thing is... It's bloody hilarious.

Look, yes, older games were more of a grind and required bigger time investment and as you graduated colleges and became busy, you couldn't keep up, since you had a life now.

Now take a deep breath. Take a deep breath again, just to check if you can actually do it.

"No-lifes", people who play religiously up to and not limited by 16 hours a day will exist in every single game, released on the market, and will be there as long, as the genre is alive. It's not a demographic, but almost (Dramatic drums) an age group.

Another thing to take note of. I remember back in... 2006, I think. Mass media discovered WoW. You remember how many jokes people made, about WoW players being obsessive "no-lives", who played it religiously, wasted ridiculous amounts of time on it and, gasp, raided? Remember that one South Park episode (no, I don't like SP)? It wasn't about EQI, you know. From the perspective of masses, every single one of us is an obsessive loser, without a life.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Well I agree to the extent that no one should really be throwing personal insults at one another over an opinion about a game period.  But I question the logic people use to suggest that mmo's developed now are any less of a time sink than older games, what newer games have done is lessened the use of "cheap" tactics to keep the players playing longer.

We all know that some games simply have a much higher grind factor than others but in general WOW or LOTRO are no less time consuming then I found games like EQ1 or SWG to be.  I've read stories about nostalgic episodes from some of travelling some forty five minutes just to get to a dungeon they would more than an hour in and that is now and has always been absurd if games offer that type of play it's content I would never see but that doesn't make me begrudge those who do have the time and patience to spend all day playing a game.

Another problem that needs to be addressed though since we are on the subject are these same types of players and there constant campaigning to destroy any product that isn't designed with the type of design features that they feel cater to there own play styles.

Conan was awesome I grew up loving it as a kid and I knew Funcom would,  in my opinion drop the ball so I tried it only to prove myself right (in my own mind) but that doesn't give me the right or responsibility to spend every waking moment trying to tear the game and it's fans down.

And that's what the constant blogs and posts we get pining away about the good old days and how everything is bad about modern game design do.

To be honest with you I consider myself a gamer first and foremost and prefer to judge every game on it's own merits and at it's release not six months before it even hits beta but it's not going to stop people from doing it and unfortunately posts like these won't stop the personal insults either.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,974

Good to see you are still around Goronian, you must be a no-life to post on here. :)

People use so many terms which are used incorrectly, they talk like they live in a soap opera. Words like ‘no-life’, ‘haters’, ‘fail’, ‘phobic’.

Being dedicated to something does reduce your times for other activities. If you don’t do the activities I do then you are a ‘no-life’. How stupid is that?

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Saabo

all those people saying "get a life" are just too jealous to realize, that some people are content with for e.g. playing games most of their free time. imo don't even bother with those kind of people.

Let me play devils advocate a second,

I'm not jealous of a crack head that is content to live in poverty and spending all there free time sucking on a glass pipe.

Exchange glass pipe with bright screen. The same glazed over look is the same.

Really, the only person or people I would ever utter those words to, would be close friends that I actually cared about. "Man you spend 17 hours in front of the computer, you stopped shaving, you smell like road kill, you havent gotten laid in 2 years.....GET A LIFE!". I havent ever had to say that though.

And how I really feel on the subject, "all things in moderation". I know for me personally, there is a sweet spot with how much time I spend playing games. If I spend too much, its not as fun. If I dont ever play, well thats not fun either. But if I am balanced about it....and I have lots of stuff going on in my life, thats when games are the most fun.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I had a life before Atari had to come out and ruin it! : (

Seriously though, while I spent time gaming, my friends and family wasted time doing other things like watching TV or playing with toys. I could really benefit from quitting gaming and replacing it with working out, staying on top of chores, helping neighbors, outdoor activities, working to accomplish my dreams, etc. and I would probably live longer but when I think of all that I have accomplished in my lifetime, it is a hell of a lot more than most people in some ways so I must be doing something right?

I've played chess for weeks straight and did nothing else, I've played guitar and made music for days straight and did nothing else, I spent a weekend watching every LOST episode and did nothing else, I've gone out and partied with friends for weeks without doing anything else, . .. this shit happens that prevent me from having a real life I guess? Pffft nah .. .

Hell yes I have experienced life .. . my favorite album was epic when it came out and so was getting my first Atari. This stuff comes and goes only once and I've had great experiences with them that my kids nor grandkids ever will. Life only comes once . .. and so do games. They come and go and die just like life. Every once in awhile I love doing nothing other than gaming and really appreciate the beautiful things that Humans create and feel fortunate to be able to experience them.

I have many coworkers that think that I have no life, I am sure .. . I don't go outside much but sometimes that is all that I will do for a long time.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by Scot

Good to see you are still around Goronian, you must be a no-life to post on here. :)

People use so many terms which are used incorrectly, they talk like they live in a soap opera. Words like ‘no-life’, ‘haters’, ‘fail’, ‘phobic’.

Being dedicated to something does reduce your times for other activities. If you don’t do the activities I do then you are a ‘no-life’. How stupid is that?

Hey Scot. Been a while, wasn't it? You still in LotRO, or where were you?

Actually, this has gone past my original point. I tried to say, that modern games are not less time-consuming, than the old ones, especially if you want them to be, thus rendering the insult moot.

But...

I like where the thread is going. Carry on, then.

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I too am tired of the "No Life" thing, but I am too lazy to climb out of my mom's basement to do anything about it...

Damn, I'm almost out of Cheesy Poofs..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,974

I am still on Lotro, been thinking about Aion after their new content, and FFIV as it is strong on grouping. Gobal Agenda as a knock around was a possibility though it is not a MMO. Where are you playing these days?

Psychow hopefully you know how to shout "MUM!" so she can get you what you need down in your lair, otherwise you are not a real no-lifer. :)

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by Scot

I am still on Lotro, been thinking about Aion after their new content, and FFIV as it is strong on grouping. Gobal Agenda as a knock around was a possibility though it is not a MMO. Where are you playing these days?

Psychow hopefully you know how to shout "MUM!" so she can get you what you need down in your lair, otherwise you are not a real no-lifer. :)

Haven't been playing anything in a while. Decided to start playing Darkfall, with a little WoW on the site. Nothing else catches my attention, until Rifts.

Eh, I'm married and still live with my mother. But that's just because rent prices in Moscow are insane.

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.