Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online for $9.99

PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

If you've ever wondered what it might be like to command your own Federation starship now is your chance. Star Trek Online (STO) is on sale at Amazon.com at the discounted price of $9.99, which is $10.00 off the regular Standard Edition price.

STO on  Amazon.com

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Piasek

If you've ever wondered what it might be like to command your own Federation starship now is your chance. Star Trek Online (STO) is on sale at Amazon.com at the discounted price of $9.99, which is $10.00 off the regular Standard Edition price.

STO on  Amazon.com

Still $9.00 too much.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

CO is going for cheap as well

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9880/

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Well everyone knew it was going in that direction, but I didn't think it would so fast.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

Well everyone knew it was going in that direction, but I didn't think it would so fast.

Actually it's been there for quite a bit now.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• smlambsmlamb Member Posts: 3

I will not play a subscription based MMO where I have to pay for additional character slots after the first three.

• gostlygostly Member UncommonPosts: 134

If they had a trial (not a SP demo) then I would try this game out and consider buying it. Until then, no thanks. Haven't heard many good things about it anyways.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Cryptic would have to pay me to play this game.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

STO on  Amazon.com

Still $9.00 too much.

well if it was free to play after the 9.99 it would be worth trying. (its only ten bucks) but with the 15$ a month sub... dont bother guys, totally not worth it. the games more of a sp than an mmo, and as an mmo its not worth a sub of any kind.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by raistalin69

STO on  Amazon.com

Still $9.00 too much.

well if it was free to play after the 9.99 it would be worth trying. (its only ten bucks) but with the 15$ a month sub... dont bother guys, totally not worth it. the games more of a sp than an mmo, and as an mmo its not worth a sub of any kind.

give it another few months and you'll probably be able to pick it up for £1.00.. or $0.75 ... unless they really do a serious amount of work on this game, i dont really see it going anywhere, personally i wouldn't sub to this game until it has a fully fleshed out Romulan faction, never mind the Klingons... seriously.. never mind $9.99, this is a game you have problems giving away...

• QuetosQuetos Member Posts: 48

Does it include a month free? For 10 bucks? Hell, I can drink more worth in beer in an hour than that so month free on top? Yeh, why not.

Originally posted by gostly

If they had a trial (not a SP demo) then I would try this game out and consider buying it. Until then, no thanks. Haven't heard many good things about it anyways.

What, you are expecting a full trial from a company who made you pay to beta test,, well to be honest, you had to pre-order to get into beta but it is still paying for beta.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Quetos

Does it include a month free? For 10 bucks? Hell, I can drink more worth in beer in an hour than that so month free on top? Yeh, why not.

buy the beer, its a much better value.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

STO on  Amazon.com

Still $10.00 too much.

Fixed

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

Well, Amazon is rather great with their 'coupon deals', where if you buy one game, you get $10 credit for your next game purchase.

So if Amazon wanted to give $10 credit if I purchased STO for $10, then yeah, I'd buy it. I'd throw it away and use the credit for something like an outdated console game I haven't played yet.

Because that's pretty much the only way I see this STO deal actually making sales. If they just gave it away by giving you credit for something else. Shame.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/interview_cryptic_studios_head_talks_new_neverwinter_why_mmos_kind_suck?page=0,2

Don't bother paying a penny. 

Lately, everyone's been kicking subscription fees to the curb and adopting free-to-play business models. Could we see something similar with Champions or Star Trek?

Sure, sure. You've gotta take any opportunity to maximize the number of people who can enjoy your game.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Lately, everyone's been kicking subscription fees to the curb and adopting free-to-play business models. Could we see something similar with Champions or Star Trek?

Sure, sure. You've gotta take any opportunity to maximize the number of people who can enjoy your game. 

Now that was an excellent interview! I like how the interviewer would press Emmert on some of the hot issues, and wasn't afraid to follow up if Emmert tried to dance around a question. Unfortunately for Cryptic's fans, the interview shows that Emmert still doesn't have a clue. The most telling part was when the interviewer pressed him about why people would have to log into Cryptic's dedicated servers, instead of just hosting games themselves. His reply that people would somehow have trouble finding other people to play with tells me that he never really took a look at the previous Neverwinter Nights games.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Now that was an excellent interview! I like how the interviewer would press Emmert on some of the hot issues, and wasn't afraid to follow up if Emmert tried to dance around a question. Unfortunately for Cryptic's fans, the interview shows that Emmert still doesn't have a clue. The most telling part was when the interviewer pressed him about why people would have to log into Cryptic's dedicated servers, instead of just hosting games themselves. His reply that people would somehow have trouble finding other people to play with tells me that he never really took a look at the previous Neverwinter Nights games.

It boils down to one thing and one thing only  Cryptic = Cash store

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Champions Online is $6 on Steam, too. Really good price! I bought the game and I have to admit, it's pretty crowded now. Lots of people are taking up the offer.

I'm in a large Supergroup (Guild) of 200 people. Very friendly and helpful. While the game is certainly.. underwhelming, the community does do a good job of bringing it all together. Like Mixing your peas in with your Mashed Potatoes so they taste better.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • LohdownLohdown Member UncommonPosts: 78

Man, Jack Emmert is a piece of work.  He would be far better off to just shut his mouth and stop doing interviews.  It is so obvious that all he is doing is damage control from the disaster that is STO so maybe someone, somewhere will buy their Neverwinter game.

I really think this guy lives in a fantasy world, and unfortunately it isn't a fantasy RPG world that anyone wants to play in.  Call it what you want there Jack, a "co-op RPG" or an "MMORPG", but from the little I have heard him say of the Neverwinter game, it sounds like its just going to be the same old game they have done 3 times over with a Neverwinter skin.

The moment I read "It's like" or "WoW" is the moment I stop reading your post.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

NWN will be like borderlands? If you're a mage, instead of a repeater you get a wand of magic missiles to strafe around with?

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

If you've ever wondered what it might be like to play the worst space game ever created now is your chance. Star Trek Online (STO) is on sale at Amazon.com at the discounted price of $9.99, which is $10.00 off the regular Standard Edition price.
    STO on  Amazon.com

Tidied.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by raistalin69

STO on  Amazon.com

Still $9.00 too much.

give it another few months and you'll probably be able to pick it up for £1.00.. or $0.75 ... unless they really do a serious amount of work on this game, i dont really see it going anywhere, personally i wouldn't sub to this game until it has a fully fleshed out Romulan faction, never mind the Klingons... seriously.. never mind $9.99, this is a game you have problems giving away...

The only way they are going to get any were is to go F2P

F2P seems like the best decission that they could make.