Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice DAOC...?

jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314

Hi me again, having a problem with DAOC................i cut to the chase

CANT FIND ANY HELP ON THE GAME

CANT FIND ANY 1 ON THE GAME...(i have just started a couple of day's ago i'm in Tir na nog)

lv5 lurkin i'm lost on affraid its not as if i can type in " advice " like your meant to and get someone ONLINE to help?

if i could jion up with a few people and go questing i would probably wee myself with excitement....(this is my first ever online mmorg......SHOULD I CHOOSE SOMTHINK MORE NOOBIE FRENDLY

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

/help brings up the help options.

there is always the offical site: http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml

that site would answer pretty much any question you have.  it will also let you know how many people are online for your server.  further if you are using the free trial then there should have been a tutorial that will help you learn how to play.  if not then go to http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/patches/ and download it.

if you want more people around then you would probably want to play on Lancelot at least until you learn the game better.  merlin has a higher population and if you are a Hib it is ok, but Merlin does have a reputation of being the least helpful server.  if you are on a smaller clustered server then you will have fewer people to group with until level 20.  however on those servers you can pretty much ask anyone anything and they will answer your question polietly.  that is why no one ever signs on as an advisor anymore.  just do a /who 50 (insert class name) and you will find a lot of maxed out characters of a particular class.  then ask them if you can ask them some questions.  they will say yes and then ask away. 

if you want a group then click on your group window and click "find."  if someone is looking for a group then you can send them a message.  if not then put yourself up as looking for a group.  further do a /who 5 10 and that will pull up people on your server from levels 5-10  you also start off in a starter guild.  you can always hit /gu looking for group.  that will send a message on your guild chanel.

you might also find more help by going to daoc.camelot.com

• jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Lad's i've found the answer to all my problem's...........i actually found someone who had played the game and was willing to share some of his wisdom..............NOT BAD A.....6 HOURS OF PLAYING THE GAME AND I ATCTUALLY FOUND ANOTHER PLAYER WHO WOULD HELP.....he told me the reason being that most people were  just trying out diffrent character's and that u would'nt get a feel for R v R and PvP that the game offers. As there were'nt hardly any one playing it there didnt seem alot to do.          i'll think i'll wait for HERO'S AND JOURNEY'S or see if i can pick up WOW or EVERQUEST II.........I might still buy DAOC but at the moment i'm still pee off spent 6 hours doing quest's which would not register when completed or quest's which where impossible to do...like ask u to kill somethink which was treble your lv and there's no one else playing to ask for help.......i defitnely think this was designed to keep new commers away.
  • ShadadShadad Member Posts: 33

:( well im sorry to hear your trouble with the game as a new player, I still say that starting on co-op server to learn the ropes is best, as most ive run into there are Very helpful and you can play any class/realm to learn there, also i've turned on the game some times and ( after 3 years playing AND a guild Founder ) seen days there has been very few on, and other times there are so many on you chat so much you cant even get in decent play time lol, I assume because of the 6 hour you spoke of, it either had to be because of a rather slow game time or not enough /send to others on your part, I also must add, I play a mend healer, and as so am 1 of the weakest toons in the game ( solo ) I have had no problems soloing task/quest mobs untill around level 15ish, you just ( must ) add a little thought on killing, ( this has nothing to do with experience of MMO's or single players, its overall play skill first time on any type of game untill you get the hang of it )

If you ever decide to go MID start a toon on Midgard - Morgan Le Fey

/who The Rat Pack

and ask any you find on about Shadad  (or his alts ) , Ide be more then happy to explain the game weather it be play style or crafting or just general info ( i play evenings pacific time )

• Grumble69Grumble69 Member Posts: 3

Although DAOC is a community-based MMORPG, some servers are filled with anti-social people. I'll be honest with you and tell you what new folks are likely to face:

* In my own experience, I've helped about a dozen people get acclimated with the game. I spent time telling them where to go, what to do, and patiently explained the lessons I learned the hard way. I've crafted free items for them. etc etc. And then six months later, they either 1) got bored/frustrated with the game and quit, or 2) moved on to the "uber guilds". After a while it gets old and folks get tired of going out of their way to help newbies.

* On one server, my guild was literally torn apart from infighting. The issue was that they freely admitted anyone. You get some "bad apples" that doesn't fit in. Or you get someone that's high maintenance that needs to be hand-held or wants to be powerlevel'd, etc. The trend that I've seen since then is that guilds are very cautious & selective in who they let in to avoid these strifes.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't expect many folks to go out of their way to help you out. But on the plus side, you do NOT need other people's help at low levels. My advice--stick with it. You can solo most classes all the way to 50 if you have to. You'll *eventually* meet folks and get into the community. But don't just sit there in the capital cities waiting for opportunities to fall in your lap.

I understand fully about the frustration about trying to help new players, the thing is surly games such as this must have a domino affect...ie  someone helps me i would help others....the thing is there was absolutely no online help i was realy struggling out there 6 hours or more desperately trying to suss things out........I did not no if i was doing right from wrong. reading a few articles about getting to lv 50 in a week i thought " no way "  BUT THEN IT HAPPENED i meet someone who put me right in the pitcure, told me of certain bugs saying " it not your fault " things i wanted to hear, gave me money taught me a few simple things i'd over looked......Basic change the game aaround.   told me reasons why i could not do certain things, EVEN IF THEY SAID TO DO THEM, WHICH FOR A NOOBIE IS A RIGHT HEAD SCRATCHER, makes you panic if there is no one there to help you. not in a nice way........anyway meeting this person has realy brightened up the game, i'm not a solo person i like having the crack with other people..............

my message to the people concerned with making the trials of ANY GAME IS

MAKE SURE THERE IS SOMEONE ONLINE TO HELP 24/7

in total i have probably spent over 10 hours of play with NO ONE TO HELP  i'm sorry but thats not fair being new to a game it's vital to be reasured that your on the right road.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by jimmy123

my message to the people concerned with making the trials of ANY GAME IS
    MAKE SURE THERE IS SOMEONE ONLINE TO HELP 24/7
    in total i have probably spent over 10 hours of play with NO ONE TO HELP  i'm sorry but thats not fair being new to a game it's vital to be reasured that your on the right road.

I can see wanting help, in fact wanting groups.  But honestly this is NOT a hard game.  I started playing 3 days after the game went live.  I was one of the first on my server.  I do not know how long it took me to adjust to the game but at most it would have been an hour.  Here are spell icons and this is how you put it on your quickbar.  Click it to cast.  F6 to attack.  /send instead of /tell.  /task to get a task.  Right-click on people to talk to them.  Click on the highlighted text to get more of the story.

When many of us started there was no one to ask.  We had no idea what the spell lines were.  There were no chracter builders.  There was not online help.  In fact the Herald site has every piece of documentation about the game you could want.  There are even maps in the game now.  I remember years spent walking around learning the landscape.  The game starts off with a tutorial now.  You can go to other websites and look up so much information.

There are always going to be some who pick games up easier than others.  There are always going to be time where you will have the occasional question.  However, it seems as though many players need their hand held and that I simply do not understand.  This game is so much easier than it used to be, espically at low levels.  I cannot possibily fathom what you are others are needing that is not easy to get ahold of. 

Maybe one thing that people need to understand is that there is no wrong path.  This is not a linear game where you must do A then B then C.  If you are worried about how to train your character ask a level 50 in game or post on a message board.  If you want to know the quickest and easiest place to level then ask a level 50 or post on a messageboard.  Unless you are playing Albion and maybe on Merlin 99% of the people will readily answer your questions.  This doesn't mean they will spend hours answering the same question over and over.  Nor does it mean they will powerlevel you.  But if you want tips and game mechanic info they will provide it. 

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

If you can't get going and level up the first few levels on your own (and with all the information on the net), then maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you.

image image

Well i supose thats the answer any smart arse who has been playing them for years would say..........

i did'nt say anthink about not being able to level up..........i said i had trouble finding online help online people.......online peace of mind..........

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Sorry, but is a ton easier to find help nowdays than it was way back when. DAOC has a tutorial in game (anyone remember the old EQ tutorial? what a joke it was), it has a very nice /help window in game, and the Camelot Herald offers as much or more information than any other gaming site out there.

If DAoC is too much for you, I hear WoW if very newb oriented. I haven't tried it though. CoH is another one that is VERY simple to get started playing (that is if you can get past that custom character generator, I could and did play with that thing for hours). And CoH is just amazingly fun for a while. But in the older games like DAoC, it will be near impossible to find someone to hold your hand from newb to uber. The higher level players are leary of people pretending to be newbs in order to get money and gear, and the lower level players are usually just high level players powering up a new toon (or keeping them at lower levels for BG action).

BTW, I really would suggest you stick it out. DAoC has the best PvP system in any MMORPG. If you need more information on the game than you can find on the official site, then just start right here.

image image

• MunkyMoMunkyMo Member Posts: 2

hey Jimmy.. give u some advice for daoc.. dont get caught up :-(.. been playing since release.. active on 2 different servers.. 1 heavy rvr gank guild.,. other stealther.. takes a long time to get to a point of getting good rvr action (unless u have friends there who are willing to plvl you and help u get items). once u get out to rvr u run into the problem of the guilds who have been playing together for years and work verry well together. then u get into the peopel with the daoc god complex as alot of gamers like to call Epeen.. but if you are still interested you can hit me up on Morgan Le Fey server under the hib Naproxin... and also go check out www.camelotvault.com and check out the forums listed on the left. alot of people post on there it might help you out or might just deture you..

well Good luck bro