Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space mmorpg? Anyone?

MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

I use to love Earth and Beyond, and to date nothing has been as good in my opinion for warping around and blowing things up. I'm still mad at EA for taking it down.

Anyway, I've tried most of the current space mmorpgs out now and still looking for a good one. Anyone know of a good one other than EvE because I've tried it multiple time over the years, and it's just boring to me.

Thanks!

Comments

• DeDroaDeDroa Member UncommonPosts: 11

Did you have a try at Star Trek Online.

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Black Prophecy will enter beta soon.

Always read the small print.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Infinity is another one to definetly keep your eyes on.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Shores of Hazeron is what Star Trek online should have been.

http://hazeron.com/

Shores of Hazeron is a multiplayer game of interstellar war and science fiction adventure.

The Shores of Hazeron game universe is presented to the player in three-dimensional first-person perspective. Sizes and distances are scaled dramatically from reality whenever necessary for tolerable game play and limitations of computers. In other words it doesn't really take years to travel to another star, there are hundreds of stars in the sky at night instead of millions, and the nearby planets, moons, and suns appear huge and close in the sky with the unaided eye. Each player perceives the universe as if they were seeing and hearing it with their own eyes and ears. Players experience the game universe first-hand as if they were there in person.

A large number of players participate simultaneously in the game via Internet. Players interact with each other directly and indirectly when playing the game. There are facilities in the game to help players locate and join their friends, to communicate with each other, and to rescue players from difficult situations. There is no option to play the game solitaire, though there is plenty of space to be alone.

Players join together to form empires. Empires are expanded by exploring and developing new solar systems and by conquering the solar systems developed by others. Empires are formed, conquer, and are conquered in a continuous struggle for dominance of the galaxy.

Players develop empires by building cities. Cities are built by constructing industries and roads. Roads expand the reach of a city; industries are built next to its roads. As cities grow, a population of citizens grows with them. Citizens construct buildings, manufacture commodities, and otherwise perform the everyday jobs of the city. While building the homes and industries of a city, players must manage the challenges of a growing population, morale and unemployment.

The game economy is based on commodities, such as stone, grain, wood, coal, etc. Industries manufacture commodities. Cities interconnect to trade commodities. Commodities are used to construct buildings and to manufacture other commodities, Commodities are also used to manufacture vehicles such as boats, aircraft, tanks, APCs, spacecraft, and all equipment used by players.

Spacecraft play a central role in the game. Spacecraft are designed by players in the game environment. The rooms of a spacecraft are "painted" into a grid that can be lowered and raised for decks below and above. The game creates a fully functional three dimensional model of a spacecraft from the design. Players earn in-game commissions when their spacecraft designs are manufactured, encouraging skilled spacecraft architects to share their designs with others. Once manufactured, spacecraft are used to explore the galaxy and to combat other spacecraft.

Unexplored worlds, interstellar wars and the politics of galactic empires form a rich environment for science fiction story telling. Contributing authors provide intriguing and thought-provoking storylines that progress with the participation of players. Set against the wartorn backdrop of Hazeron, stories unfurl with the players filling the roles of the main characters.

There are countless combinations in Hazeron for the layouts and contents of sectors and solar systems, the terrain and weather of planets and moons, the DNA of plants and animals, the designs of starships, and the machinations of clever players. Three dimensional representations of plants and animals are synthesized from compact DNA data, not pregenerated models. With over 300 trillion times a trillion combinations of plant DNA and over 80 thousand trillion times a trillion times a trillion combinations of animal DNA, no two planets in Hazeron are likely to have the same plants and animals. Hazeron presents an exceptionally vast and varied galaxy for players to explore and conquer.

This game is in Pre Beta so it is buggy, and laggy, but it is amazing. With your help testing we can help the developers iron out the bugs, and play a truly epic space sandbox.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I can't get the game to work. I install it, run it, click make new empire then it crashes. Any ideas? I'm playing on a windows 7 32 bit laptop. I tried running in a few various compatibility modes with no luck. 

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

Tried STO, was good for a week then was old. Thanks for the replys.

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Talgen

Infinity is another one to definetly keep your eyes on.

It sure looks like an amazing game, but I predict a good few years before it's anywhere close to complete.

I hadn't heard of Shores of Hazeron; I'll be sure to check it out.

Always read the small print.

• christinnechristinne Member Posts: 5

well i may suggest you star trek online for its really fits your taste

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

http://hazeron.com/

This game is in Pre Beta so it is buggy, and laggy, but it is amazing. With your help testing we can help the developers iron out the bugs, and play a truly epic space sandbox.

Hi, do you currently test this game? If so, genuinely how good is it?

I've read through all the info and it looks exactly like something I would be interested in at least trying, I'm not bothered too much by lack of graphic polish so long as it doesn't make the game unplayable. What are your biggest con's whilst playing?

If you have time to answer these that would be great thanks.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Really I think you just going to have to wait for Black Prohecy and/or Jumpgate Evolution.

Hazeron is very playable. The biggest problems right nwo are getting stuck in limp when you use a wormhole occasionally, and server instability. When it's running good it is VERY playable. You just need a good game to fall back on when they are having issues.

It has come to my attention that there is a new character creation bug plaguing Hazeron at this time. The server just went down, and I'm hoping this will be flushed out today, and all the new people who are interested in this great game get a chance to try ti out. I also hope they don't screw anything else up while they are poking around in there.

If you've been trying to get in since I posted abot tthis game I'm sorry I was unaware about the Character/Empire creation bug, but I will post again as soon as it's fixed.

• seanseanseansean Member Posts: 119

Hazeron is very playable. The biggest problems right nwo are getting stuck in limp when you use a wormhole occasionally, and server instability. When it's running good it is VERY playable. You just need a good game to fall back on when they are having issues.

It has come to my attention that there is a new character creation bug plaguing Hazeron at this time. The server just went down, and I'm hoping this will be flushed out today, and all the new people who are interested in this great game get a chance to try ti out. I also hope they don't screw anything else up while they are poking around in there.

If you've been trying to get in since I posted abot tthis game I'm sorry I was unaware about the Character/Empire creation bug, but I will post again as soon as it's fixed.

Thanks for sharing about this game. confirmed that it looks, feature-wise, amazing. here's a link to the wiki for anyone else interesting in getting into it a bit: http://hazeron.wikia.com/wiki/Shores_of_Hazeron_Wiki

I dl'd it and made an account, but, like you mentioned, can't get in atm. I'll try later. thanks again :)

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Thanks for the reply Truth. dl'ing now will wait a day before starting.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

EVE is the funnest if you are looking for something long term. It takes awhile to learn though.

Star Trek Online sucks . .. way too repetitive. I love Star Trek but if a Klingon crapped in my living room I wouldnt hang it on the wall and call it art.

Hrmmm that Hazeron game looks interesting . ... is there PVP?

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Sorry about the late reply I caught a whiff of the banhammer... I renounce EMU's!

Anyway... Shores of Hazeron is full pvp. you can have your entire empire wiped out and basically be put back to the stoneage. 

• lacunaexlacunaex Member Posts: 2

If you are looking for a space empire strategy MMO, you should check out The Lacuna Expanse. It's like Sim City meets Masters of Orion. The website is www.lacunaexpanse.com

It just launched this Monday (October 4th) so you'll be starting fresh with everyone else.  :)

Cheers!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a minute to tell you about a new MMO game that my company launched on Monday. [B][URL="http://www.lacunaexpanse.com"]The Lacuna Expanse[/URL][/B], is a massively multiplayer strategic empire simulator. Think SimCity meets Masters of Orion. You can choose to be an isolationist who's sole concern is designing and building a sprawling city on a single planet, or you can be bent on utter domination. You can become a master trader or a master ship builder. You can engage in espionage, or become an explorer. The choice is up to you in The Lacuna Expanse.

[B]What's unique about The Lacuna Expanse?[/B]

[B]Play anywhere[/B] :: web browser or the free iPhone app (app submitted to app store last week and is expected to be approved and available this week)

[B]Socialize or Strategize[/B] :: work with the players around you by forming alliances or strategize against them by planning their demise. Lacuna Expanse is very social and it's even Facebook-enabled.

[B]Full circle economy[/B] :: produce resources, manage/reuse waste, minimize pollution, keep your citizens happy, and trade freely with other players on the open market.

[B]Massive universe[/B] :: More than 1 million planets to explore, each with unique resources.

[B]Build mega-cities[/B] :: more than 100 different types of buildings means you can build exactly what you need and each city can be unique.

[B]Trade anything[/B] :: most games only let you trade basic resources. The Lacuna Expanse lets you trade ships, buildings, money, resources, and much more. Enjoy a full player based economy.

[B]The Coolest Spaceships[/B] :: you've never seen spaceships like this! Dump garbage on your opponents planets, transport spies, take satellite images of enemy planets, and much more!

[B]Espionage[/B] :: take out your enemies without ever firing a shot.

[B]Chat[/B] :: talk in real-time to other players in the game. Built-in translations make it easy to talk with players around the world.

[B]Freedom[/B] :: choose your own direction. Exploration, expansion, trader, ship builder mission commander, espionage, war, and more.