Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk trailers: "Deceived" and "Hope"

I don't know if Bioware or Lucas Arts were involved with the creation of the 2 SW:TOR trailers with the script or storyboard for them, or that it was from the bottom up fully thought up and made by the animation firm that created them, but after seeing them both I was actually very impressed and thought by myself 'wow, they should make a Star Wars movie of them'.

For the (few) people that don't know what I'm talking about, here are the two videos I'm talking about:

'Deceived'

'Hope'

I like the CGI cutscenes and trailers of games, some game companies like Squaresoft (SE now) and Blizzard are better with them than others, but there are some real jewels among them; see for example the Gears of War trailer here or the Mass Effect 2 trailer here. CGI animation has reached a level that it's easier and easier to create high quality, fully CGI movies as well, also the storytelling has become better and better in them as Pixar is a good example of with the first minutes of 'Up' or the first half of Wall-E.

So, what do you people think, how would a CGI movie in the style and atmosphere of the 2 SW:TOR trailers compare to the Star Wars movies? Can a Star Wars CGI movie be as good as or even better than the other Star Wars movies?

And if you could choose, what gametrailer would you have liked to see turned into a CGI movie of the same high quality?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by cyphers

So, what do you people think, how would a CGI movie in the style and atmosphere of the 2 SW:TOR trailers compare to the Star Wars movies? Can a Star Wars CGI movie be as good as or even better than the other Star Wars movies?

I just want to answer this question...HELL YES! The Clone Wars cartoon (original, not current CGI version) was better than EP1-3 tbh...no doubt that a KOTOR era CGI movie could easily be better than them. This was a good question...very anxious to see the replies.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Theres alot of cool looking CGI trailers out there, Warcraft 3, Dawn of War, Starcraft 2. I wonder why no-one does a dark gritty CGI film not catered for a kiddie audiance.

Would be a great idea.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by immodium

Theres alot of cool looking CGI trailers out there, Warcraft 3, Dawn of War, Starcraft 2. I wonder why no-one does a dark gritty CGI film not catered for a kiddie audiance.

Would be a great idea.

CGI is kind of a strange thing.  Everyone loves the kiddie type CGI films but every “serious” CGI film has landed flat on its face due to few viewers and high production costs.  I would love to see a CGI film like the OP is talking about but I don’t think there are enough of us to warrant a major production studio to take it on.  Then again, I am a pessimist so a surprise here and there is always nice. =)

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand

Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by immodium

Would be a great idea.

CGI is kind of a strange thing.  Everyone loves the kiddie type CGI films but every “serious” CGI film has landed flat on its face due to few viewers and high production costs.  I would love to see a CGI film like the OP is talking about but I don’t think there are enough of us to warrant a major production studio to take it on.  Then again, I am a pessimist so a surprise here and there is always nice. =)

Please tell me you're not thinking about that pathetically ghey movie Beowulf?! The movie wasn't the only thing flopping...dude got NAKED to fight...he stripped down and fought things butt flippin naked. NEVER have I seen such a poor CGI attempt.

OK...they can pump out a new CGI Jimmy Neutron cartoon once a week for 18 weeks a year, same with the Clone Wars cartoons...there MUST be a market for this beyond just kids. Star Wars is far too global and generational to not have massive appeal.

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

What I really long for, odd though it may sound, is a Star Wars film with a far more subtle atmosphere and script than George Lucas' ham-fisted style.

Always read the small print.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by TUX426

Please tell me you're not thinking about that pathetically ghey movie Beowulf?! The movie wasn't the only thing flopping...dude got NAKED to fight...he stripped down and fought things butt flippin naked. NEVER have I seen such a poor CGI attempt.

OK...they can pump out a new CGI Jimmy Neutron cartoon once a week for 18 weeks a year, same with the Clone Wars cartoons...there MUST be a market for this beyond just kids. Star Wars is far too global and generational to not have massive appeal.

In the case of Beowulf, the fact that he fought naked was one of the only facts that the movie kept true to the legend (Grendel had no arms/armor so the obviously honorable thing to do would be to fight him nude).

Make it so...

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

After Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within flopped horribly, and cost a fortune, and lost tons of money, no one wants to touch a serious CGI movie. Forget the fact the FF's plot was ridiculous, the whole enterprise has been tarnished by this colossal failure.

Originally posted by Cpt_PicardIn

the case of Beowulf, the fact that he fought naked was one of the only facts that the movie kept true to the legend (Grendel had no arms/armor so the obviously honorable thing to do would be to fight him nude).

Wait...wut?! OK...I know nothing of the Beowulf legend, but...how exactly does fighting an armless man naked make it 'fair'?

Honestly, the CGI in Beowulf was beyond impressive. Just the movie itself sucked. I still think a Star Wars based CGI series (besides Clone Wars) could be a success.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Senadina

After Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within flopped horribly, and cost a fortune, and lost tons of money, no one wants to touch a serious CGI movie. Forget the fact the FF's plot was ridiculous, the whole enterprise has been tarnished by this colossal failure.

Yeah, I don't even understand why that movie held the FF title in its name, I guess the doctor was called sid (not cid) but that was about the only thing linking it to final fantasy...

Make it so...

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Cpt_PicardIn

the case of Beowulf, the fact that he fought naked was one of the only facts that the movie kept true to the legend (Grendel had no arms/armor so the obviously honorable thing to do would be to fight him nude).

Wait...wut?! OK...I know nothing of the Beowulf legend, but...how exactly does fighting an armless man naked make it 'fair'?

Honestly, the CGI in Beowulf was beyond impressive. Just the movie itself sucked. I still think a Star Wars based CGI series (besides Clone Wars) could be a success.

Not to change the subject but I just wanted to give you this little descriptor on Beowulf.

Beowulf decides to fight Grendel without arms. As Grendel does not use weapons to bite people in half and lap their blood, it will bring the hero greater honor to slay the foe with his bare hands; this is partly because it would be dishonorable to kill an unarmed man, no matter how dangerous or evil he might be, and partly because Beowulf's vanity will not allow him to miss an opportunity for even greater glory, even if it means his death and disaster for the innocent people he professes to defend. But Beowulf proves his incredible prowess and manhood by ripping poor Grendel's arm off and leaving him to run off and die.

Honor and vanity trump all and that is the reason for the nude fight.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Funny, my girlfriend and I were just talking about this very thing last night.

in some instances a full CGI movie would perhaps be the better option, such as the upcoming Warcraft movie. I mean go back and look at the trailer for WotLK and tell me that doesn't look great and  sets the mood better than real life actors in skeleton costumes, or some CGI dumped on top of real life.

A Star Wars CGI movie fully ? yep space battles would be great as well.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

The "Hope" trailer may be the best I've ever seen period. C'mon where else can you see a Trooper spearing a Sith? If these guys created a full length movie, it would probably do just as good as episodes 1-3.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Well, the story wasn't that bad. I actually liked the movies Beowulf and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Japanese movies are an acquired taste).

But then again, I also liked the CGI movies Final Fantasy: Advent Children (see here) and Resident Evil: Degeneration (see here)

Besides, Beowulf still managed to rake in 200 million dollars. I agree though, that for some reason the more comical CGI movies as Shrek and Ice Age series and Pixar movies are better appreciated than the serious ones. Maybe CGI production costs have to get lower and the character and facial animation just that little bit better to make majority of people accept more serious movies that have no live persons at all in them anymore.

Regarding CGI graphics, I got the feeling with the second trilogy that George Lucas went a bit overboard with them, it was pure extravaganza overkill overshouting the story and character interaction.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

The "Hope" trailer may be the best I've ever seen period. C'mon where else can you see a Trooper spearing a Sith? If these guys created a full length movie, it would probably do just as good as episodes 1-3.

Actually, I think that the trailers are better than episodes 1 - 3. There are some scenes in episodes 1 - 3 that are good but the movies as a whole are weak. Still, it all boils down to the script. A good story told well will sell tickets. The format of live action or CGI helps tell certain types of stories but the basics of the story must be there in either case. For example both Despicable Me and Inception are pretty good because of the stories involved. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

[mod edit]

@ Cyphers, I agree with what you said a few posts ago, about Beowulf, and the FF CGI movies. There seems to be more expected from the more serious attempts at using the technology. Beowulf had a decent script IMO, the visuals were rather stunning and the voice acting was well executed, I'm not sure how much more people could want.

I'd love to see a Star Wars flim made by the guys who did those trailers, I think it would outshine ep.1-3 easily.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Cyphers is actually one of my favorite posters on this site, not just because of the active generation of conversation but because his views are widely optimistic over the games that he's interested in, and he's rarely pessimistic nor does he show blind hatred to other games that he isn't interested in.   Its rare on this site to see a poster that allows themselves to like so many varied games while there are so many threads trying to pit these games against each other with fans tearing them down.

With that being said,  if he IS getting paid by LA, BioWare, or EA,  then he must also be getting paid by all of the other games he posts about too.  If thats the case, then he must be making tons of money, and I'd also be interested Agaga, as I'd want to land a gig like that too! image

Originally posted by agaga

So, then, you're not getting anything at all?  Well what can I say: good for you, seriously. It's impressive and in a way honestly quite moving for someone, just an ordinary guy, doing unpaid viral marketing for a million dollar game business. We'd all be a lot better off if there were more people like you. Probably you might achieve more by raising awareness in the charity and social services but the billion dollar games industry needs its champions too. I say: kudos!  image

It's what people do, Agaga, that are genuinely interested in a game; instead of wasting time hanging around on the forums of a game they despise and seeking any excuse or argument to tear it down, people who're really interested in a game talk about it and exchange info about it , wanting to learn more about its features and lore image

Now, shall we stop derailing the thread any further and return to the OP topic again?

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I'm not criticising him at all. In fact, I'm amazed by what he's doing. I was only interested to know if he was doing it professionally or an amateur basis, a question I hope I askoed with respect. No need to insult me just because I aksed the question that everyone else wanted to know.

You directed an insult at Cyphers. I have argued with and against Cyphers on the AoC forums several times (Bori still suxs btw).  

Edit: I should learn to control my typing when busy. 

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by catlana

I'm not criticising him at all. In fact, I'm amazed by what he's doing. I was only interested to know if he was doing it professionally or an amateur basis, a question I hope I askoed with respect. No need to insult me just because I aksed the question that everyone else wanted to know.

You directed an insult at Cyphers. I have argued with and against Cyphers on the AoC forums several times (Bori still suxs btw).  You on the other hand seem content to troll the SWToR forums. 

An insult? That was not my intention at all. If he feels I have insulted him then, of course, I instantly apologize. I hope that settles matters.

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

I love CGI trailers and "decieved" is on par with the greatest out there. Also it shows jedi fight scenes like they should be in  the movies. Short, fast and decisive.

Now "Hope" shows a completely different picture.  Its literely on the other side of the score board for me.    For me it makes Jedi feel like Dragonball characters (The consular character doing the "hajuken" on the sith)... Also when i saw those soldiers shooting at the sith... Who the hell  would think of it as a relevent strategy? The whole thing is just pointless sad and ridiculus...

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

Originally posted by Malickie

@ Cyphers, I agree with what you said a few posts ago, about Beowulf, and the FF CGI movies. There seems to be more expected from the more serious attempts at using the technology. Beowulf had a decent script IMO, the visuals were rather stunning and the voice acting was well executed, I'm not sure how much more people could want.

I think, just with any other field, you need one or 2 big breakthroughs, some major CGI blockbusters, to make moviemakers and investors aware and think 'hey, there's lots of money to be made in that field'. You see it everywhere, when one sheep has crossed the dam others will follow. Look at the young adult fantasy fiction that boomed after J.K. Rowling came with Harry Potter, or the boom in MMO's after WoW became a big success.

Beowulf scored 200 million worldwide, but also had a production cost of 150 million dollars, so not really the expected blockbuster yet.

Originally posted by dzikun

I love CGI trailers and "decieved" is on par with the greatest out there. Also it shows jedi fight scenes like they should be in  the movies. Short, fast and decisive.

Now "Hope" shows a completely different picture.  Its literely on the other side of the score board for me.    For me it makes Jedi feel like Dragonball characters (The consular character doing the "hajuken" on the sith)... Also when i saw those soldiers shooting at the sith... Who the hell  would think of it as a relevent strategy? The whole thing is just pointless sad and ridiculus...

I believe thatthe studio that makes these trailers, is it Buzz Studios?, has pretty much cornered the market in doing intros/cut-scenes/cinematics  for the major games studios. The studio that did these CGI pieces, for example, I think also did the CGI pieces for World of Warcraft.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I believe thatthe studio that makes these trailers, is it Buzz Studios?, has pretty much cornered the market in doing intros/cut-scenes/cinematics  for the major games studios. The studio that did these CGI pieces, for example, I think also did the CGI pieces for World of Warcraft.

The studio is Blur studios I believe... and I think they also did a number of other trailers including DCUOs trailer and a number of other studios.  These are some of the best CGI videos I've ever seen,  and I think that if there would be a large market for these kinds of animated movies if someone would actually ::pay to::  make them. 

Originally posted by maskedweasel

The studio is Blur studios I believe... and I think they also did a number of other trailers including DCUOs trailer and a number of other studios.  These are some of the best CGI videos I've ever seen,  and I think that if there would be a large market for these kinds of animated movies if someone would actually ::pay to::  make them. 

I think they may also have done the amazing cinematic cutscenes for the Final Fantasy series - including one complete movie.

I think they may also have done the amazing cinematic cutscenes for the Final Fantasy series - including one complete movie.

I don't think so. I can't say for sure who did the cinematic cutscenes and movie of Final Fantasy - I always thought it was Square Enix themselves or affiliate companies - but this is the list where the Blur studio was engaged in:

Goldfish Crackers: Blast Off

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Dragon Age: Origins

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Terminator: Salvation

Halo Wars Montage

Prototype

Fable 2

Section 8

Warhammer Online

Tomb Raider Underworld

MX vs. ATV Untamed

Transformers: The Game

The Simpsons Trailer

Coca Cola

NFL on FOX