Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Public Quest Vs. Dynamic Quests

Exactly what is the difference between Public and Dynamic Quests? 

From my point of view they basically seem like the same thing with just a few tweaks. I assume I am missing something. 

Currently Play: ?
Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Your refering to Guild wars 2 PQ's and WAR's right?

They work about the same, everyone zergs the quest area and tries to complete whatever objectives.

The differences between the two might be guild wars is suppose to scale the difficulty to the amount of people there, and supposedly guild wars PQ's, depending on if you fail or suceed, will open up and close other PQ's.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I got the impression DQs had random spawn locations, whereas PQs are static quests at static locations.

Not that PQs were bad, mind you.  Probably the best thing WAR had to offer.  Static locations actually have certain strengths -- I mean it's a lot cooler to venture inside a chaos temple to do a "kill a buncha cultists" task, whereas if DQs are really just randomly spawned across the game world then they might not have that strong connection.

...but I have next to no info on DQs, so this is just guesswork. :X

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

i maybe wrong but if you are talking about Rift vs WAR then this is my understand.  In RIFT they are random, also the people that spawn them get better rewards than people that just join in. Also it gets tougher the longer it goes and the rewards get better the longer it goes.  You probably know WAR PQs so you know what they are.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

GUILD WARS 2: Dynamic Events:

From the horse's mouth; once of the best vids released so far:  GDC Vault - Designing Guilds Wars 2 Dynamic Events

Everything we know about Guild Wars 2: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/287180/page/1

WAR: Public Quests:

Less integrated into the game world eg static, short-timer, does not scale with number of players, random rewards, smaller less varied chains of quests, alternative/secondary to quest progression structure.

RIFT: Rifts

Random spawing?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Your refering to Guild wars 2 PQ's and WAR's right?

They work about the same, everyone zergs the quest area and tries to complete whatever objectives.

The differences between the two might be guild wars is suppose to scale the difficulty to the amount of people there, and supposedly guild wars PQ's, depending on if you fail or suceed, will open up and close other PQ's.

Alos GW2 has more interesting Models for their boss npc

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

From what I played at PAX, it's a little bit of both.

The DQ's aren't completely random. I'd have to search for the thread with the images, but there are a few pre-beta "quest maps" for different zones each listing off a bunch of different quests.

These are what the DQ's are cycling through. Most of the events I saw had at least one success or failure option, so even if its just 2 "paths", still good times. Either way, you've got some sort of "Starter Event", and the big thing to remember is regardless of what happens after the event, everything will eventually reset back to the "Starter Event" at its static location.

Now, when you go into a zone, you may not know which "path" the quest is on, so that adds creates the randomness, because the steps along the path will lead you to different locations. This is probably a DQ's biggest evolution from WAR's PQ's, in that the location continually moves with the event, so it's not "do the 5 stage 40min farmhouse event", its "do the 5 stage, 40min farmlands event that starts at a farm, moves to a camp, then a lighthouse, then a road, then back to the farm for the finale"

If you look at them mechanically, PQ's and DQ's are virtually identical. It's just the broader, more immersive application of those existing mechanics that give DQ's their unique personality. I could easily see the above 5-stage event being 25 total PQ's, just conditionally triggering based on whichever states the others are in, but I didn't stick to one area for long to let see the exact reset mechanics.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by elistrange

Exactly what is the difference between Public and Dynamic Quests? 

From my point of view they basically seem like the same thing with just a few tweaks. I assume I am missing something. 

Yeah, they're dramatically different. From what I understand, public quests are something that people can share in and they have hard reset times, i.e. after it's done, it resets to the beginning so everyone can do it again.

Dynamic events (not quests) work differently in GW2... when an event starts (be it on it's own or triggered by the player) you have a couple things that can happen... the event succeeds or fails. For example, let's use the classic example of centaurs attacking a town. They'll either capture the town and kill the npcs there or be driven off my the players. Whichever happens, this isn't where it ends. If they take the town, you'll have an event spawn to recapture the town. Note... the town will remain captured until the players retake it. So, you can organize and retake it, or not. Let's say you don't. The centaurs will build up their strength and use that town to launch further attacks, triggering new events. If you do retake it, you may get a new event to recover stolen weapons from the town back at the centaur base. Completing this event can result in an npc in the town now that sells those weapons. It can also result in you defeating the centaurs garrison that attacked in the first place. Now you'll have to hold that against centaur attacks to retake it.

Basically, public quests start over, dynamic events spawn new ones.

You can, notice, return to a past state through effort... for example owning that town. However, nothing will change in the players favor without the players efforts it seems (although the centaurs don't have those restraints...).

Oderint, dum metuant.