Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I be able to play Eve on my laptop?

I'm new to MMORPG's and PC gaming in general.  I was just wondering I would be able to play EVE on my laptop with these specs.

Windows Vista 32

Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83 GHz

3 GB RAM

512 MB ATI Radeon Mobile HD 2600 (dedicated)

320 GB hard drive space

Thoughts?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

http://www.nzone.com/content/nzone/srl/nzone_srl.asp

Good web site that answers your question. My guess is that it works but I don't play Eve myself...

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

You can definitely play EVE on that, though you might have to crank the settings down fairly low. It's a shame CCP dropped support for the Classic client awhile back (too expensive for them to develop two clients simultaneously, etc.), because you'd be able to play that on a graphing calculator.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

I've been able to run EVE on an ultraportable with 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo SU7300, 3GB RAM and Intel GMA4500MHD integrated GPU. Crappy FPS even on lowest, but I was able to undock from Rens during busy hours without the laptop blowing up (didn't try Jita). Your system has more CPU and a vastly better GPU. You probably won't be able to max everything and maintain decent FPS at the same time, but on lower settings you should be fine, except perhaps in huge 0.0 fleet fights (can't say since I haven't done such a thing).

Hope that helped image

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

You'll be fine, my laptop is over 2.5 years old (but was a pretty good one in its day) so the specs are actually pretty comparable to yours and it handles 2 clients even without much of a problem.

Large fleet fights are an issue for everyone right now, even if you're running the greatest rig out there because I think most of the issues are on their side.

The 3 gig of memory (same as mine) is your weakest link since there seems to be some sort of slow memory leak in EVE that eventually accumulates, especially if you try to run 3 clients like I occasionally do. But if you're sticking to one client you'll probably never run into that issue.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BoughtsparkBoughtspark Member Posts: 4

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I think I'll give it a go on the weekend.

Just a little update, well more like a problem.  I've tried to install the client using the setup wizard but every time I try it fails to connect to the server for some reason.  Right now I'm downloading manually but I've got about 6 hours or more to go to completely download and I'd rather not wait that long.  Any suggestions?

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Boughtspark

Just a little update, well more like a problem.  I've tried to install the client using the setup wizard but every time I try it fails to connect to the server for some reason.  Right now I'm downloading manually but I've got about 6 hours or more to go to completely download and I'd rather not wait that long.  Any suggestions?

chck your firewall or admin settings (if you are using vista)?

Originally posted by miagisan

Originally posted by Boughtspark

chck your firewall or admin settings (if you are using vista)?

I toughed it out and downloaded using manual installation and when I opened the exe file it couldn't complete installation since there was some kind of file corruption.

Extracting EVE_Premium_Setup_177290.exe

Extracting eveonline_177290.7z

CRC failed in eveonline_177290.7z

The file "???" header is corrupt

I then shut off my norton firewall and tried to download using the installer, and it still didn't work.  I'm really frustrated right now, and at this point I don't think I want to bother anymore.

• JDGalisJDGalis Member UncommonPosts: 143

If files are being corrupted,perhaps your getting big packet loss possibly due to on wireless connection. But I'm not too sure, Eve always installed fine on my laptop, then again lately all my games I've been trying to download via wireless get corrupt files.

Introducing the best signature ever!

[signature] Best Signature [/signature]

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

You can cheat by running the repair tools in the folder you want to install it to. You will have to make a dummy file called "eve.exe" first or it won't work.

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=750

This is absolutely not the approved way of getting the game. It won't give you an uninstaller or any shortcuts. Its there to fix an existing but broken install of the game, but it will consider 0 files as no working files and get them for you, piece meal, and double check them.

It should work with what ever connection issues you are having.

//insert sig here
  • mmogamersmmogamers Member Posts: 1

Yes you can play EVE online on your laptop, you have to install EVE online on your laptop and you can play.