Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only hardcore MMO players hate this game?

2»

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Aguitha

I told myself never buy that game after all the bad review i saw.  This morning was in a local store and saw the game for sale at 9.99$ and pick it up, after at that price wont be a big lost.   I played 2 hours and i'm already bored.  Ground combat is bad, feel unresponsive and slow, space combat is even worst, ship control is bad.   Cost me 10$ to figure out something i already knew, game suck.

Some people are still paying full price, while others are paying $20.00 for a copy of STO. If Cryptic's claims about new lifetime susbcribers are true, those people are also shelling over $299.99 for those subscriptions now. I'd say you got off fairly cheap.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

I wouldn't say that only hardcore players hate the game, I am sure that there is more than enough hate from the casual player to around.

• PogmahonePogmahone Member Posts: 22

STO is one giant single player game with a few mmo components. There are no raids (STF'S dont count), PvP is boring because there is no war zone or real meaning to pvp, craftings does not exist, not enough content to keep up with the lvl cap. If they stay with the weekley episodes model it wont be a good result. I could keep going but you get my point and all this is from a lifer!

Originally posted by Pogmahone

STO is one giant single player game with a few mmo components. There are no raids (STF'S dont count), PvP is boring because there is no war zone or real meaning to pvp, craftings does not exist, not enough content to keep up with the lvl cap. If they stay with the weekley episodes model it wont be a good result. I could keep going but you get my point and all this is from a lifer!

I think everyone already knows that, well almost everyone, you still have the CDF that will argue with you.  Now if only Cryptic would get it.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

Originally posted by Pogmahone

I think everyone already knows that, well almost everyone, you still have the CDF that will argue with you.  Now if only Cryptic would get it.

Problem is they doi get and they've proved it twice . This is the model they work by . Actually three times . The same formula they used in CoX , they applied to CO and STO . They are going to do this to NwN . It will continue as long as they can continually grasp well known IP's and rape the initial player enthusism for these IP's. Nothing will change until consumers wise up to their methodology and business practices. Sadly they got me once , but it won't happen again , I swear it.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Nope  OP, people with unrealistic expectations hate this game. Its a fun casual game nothing more and it does what it does best. Most of the unhappy players were expecting more of a sandbox experince.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I'm no hardcore mmo player, i was looking for a fun game to play, pick up STO at 9.99$ at a local store and played 30 minutes before getting bored, i think i did'nt even finished the tutorial part of the game.  That's to tell you how bad it is.  And this was 2 weeks ago and i havent log in the game one second after that.   So saying only hardcore MMO player hate this game is ridiculous, the game is bad.

I play MMO since 1999 and STO is one of the worst i seen so far.  Very few mmo i tried turned me away so fast as this one.

Originally posted by Shastra

Nope  OP, people with unrealistic expectations hate this game. Its a fun casual game nothing more and it does what it does best. Most of the unhappy players were expecting more of a sandbox experince.

I think most were expecting a Star Trek game based on what everyone loved about Star Trek, not a single player shooter with Star Trek skins that was based on nothing Star Trek.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by ssjdagas

I've heard a lot of negative feedback from players playing this game. Most of it from sites like mmorpg.com where most people are hardcore mmo-players. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but only a casual MMO-player. Been playing every now and then since 2003 (first MMO was SWG then EVE soon after). Too me it seems like most MMO games, based on leveling up, getting new skills and gear etc. with some typical destroy 10 klingon ships missions and some more interesting.

I've only been playing for 1½ weeks playing roughly for 8-10h a week so granted I can't fully judge it yet, but it seems so far to be fun at least to me. All the trekkies I know like the game. Many of them have not even played an MMO before.

Perhaps if you judge the game as a star trek game that happens to be an MMO rather than an MMO that happens to be a Star Trek game it will seem better.

My question is what exactly makes this game so bad? The problems I have with are the same problems I have with it most MMO's such as too many generic quests. I've seen games with more grind, less interesting missions and more generic gameplay that doesn't get as bashed as STO. So can you hardcore gamers tell me what I am missing because from my casual view point it's just as good or bad as most MMO's I've played over the years, except this one is Star Trek (and I admit I would not play it otherwise). I played SWG during its hayday and I must say that so far I like STO more.

I have no real disagreement aside from a differing opinion, but I'll respond to the highlighted...

That is true, but people aren't paying month to month for a star trek game.  STO is BARELY, technically, an MMO.  And in practical use, it's not really an MMO at all.

Any decent MMO will have at least 200+ hours of content zerged.  And it will also have reasons for doing things other than straight up quests, raids, etc.  It will have enjoyable, rewarding crafting, exploring, and character development that will keep most people busy for months and months, if not years.  Even with the new content since the launch, this game has about a months worth of once-through content, and a smidge of repeatable content that is highly repetitive and groan inspiring.

Do they at least allow you to revisit old missions again?  Because the last I played(a couple months ago), you still were blocked from all the content you completed, which left you with some bases to park, some "diplomacy" missions, some "kill X" missions and a bunch of shoeboxes to fly your ship around in.

Feature to feature, gameplay to gameplay, STO is inferior to pretty much every AAA title out there(and many budget MMO's), save for maybe Champions Online.  Almost every game offers more in almost every aspect.  Better crafting, bigger, explorable worlds(even DDO, which says ALOT!), better interaction with the world, better graphics, better balance, more factions, better PvP(even LotRO!), even more environment variety.  My saying this, is about as close to fact as an opinion can get.

Having said all that, I don't hate the game, I just find it inferior to most other MMO's, even those I like less than STO.  Like a trophy chick in her 40's, you can find enough to like about it to hang out for about a month, but there's not much point in sticking around.  And in both cases, that kinda blows the point of bothering in the first place.

Finally, on the green highlighted bit.  The only "less interesting than STO" quests I see in your run of the mill MMO are the kill/get/use X quests.  Thing is, these are usually set up to go along with much more interesting quests, aka a "while you're in the area" type sub-quest.  With a few notable exceptions, STO's missions are mostly Kill/Get/Use quests; the nebula and system missions are almost strictly that.  The episode missions are about as good as it gets, and they're pretty much hit or miss, IMO.  And there aren't a terrible lot of them.  And you can't repeat them.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Sto claimed to be on AAA mmo when they only had 1 week to 1 month of content. They also heavly use Mircotransations(spelling) so you can buy better charater races and ship,.

Sto and champs are not mmo's but strate RPGs with online play,  were you can make powerfull charaters. with your credit card.

Playing sto will just run up your credit card with special offers.

The content cant compare to AAA mmos like World of Warcraft, AION, and Fallen Earth. thows 3 have months of content and are AAA mmos. sto has maybe 3 months max.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Robsolf

I have no real disagreement aside from a differing opinion, but I'll respond to the highlighted...

That is true, but people aren't paying month to month for a star trek game.  STO is BARELY, technically, an MMO.  And in practical use, it's not really an MMO at all.

Any decent MMO will have at least 200+ hours of content zerged.  And it will also have reasons for doing things other than straight up quests, raids, etc.  It will have enjoyable, rewarding crafting, exploring, and character development that will keep most people busy for months and months, if not years.  Even with the new content since the launch, this game has about a months worth of once-through content, and a smidge of repeatable content that is highly repetitive and groan inspiring.

Do they at least allow you to revisit old missions again?  Because the last I played(a couple months ago), you still were blocked from all the content you completed, which left you with some bases to park, some "diplomacy" missions, some "kill X" missions and a bunch of shoeboxes to fly your ship around in.

Feature to feature, gameplay to gameplay, STO is inferior to pretty much every AAA title out there(and many budget MMO's), save for maybe Champions Online.  Almost every game offers more in almost every aspect.  Better crafting, bigger, explorable worlds(even DDO, which says ALOT!), better interaction with the world, better graphics, better balance, more factions, better PvP(even LotRO!), even more environment variety.  My saying this, is about as close to fact as an opinion can get.

Having said all that, I don't hate the game, I just find it inferior to most other MMO's, even those I like less than STO.  Like a trophy chick in her 40's, you can find enough to like about it to hang out for about a month, but there's not much point in sticking around.  And in both cases, that kinda blows the point of bothering in the first place.

Finally, on the green highlighted bit.  The only "less interesting than STO" quests I see in your run of the mill MMO are the kill/get/use X quests.  Thing is, these are usually set up to go along with much more interesting quests, aka a "while you're in the area" type sub-quest.  With a few notable exceptions, STO's missions are mostly Kill/Get/Use quests; the nebula and system missions are almost strictly that.  The episode missions are about as good as it gets, and they're pretty much hit or miss, IMO.  And there aren't a terrible lot of them.  And you can't repeat them.

From what i understand, they are going to make it so you can go back and repeat those quests that were one-time only quests. At least that's what they have said.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan