Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV's immediate future predicted

Over the past few days of head start, I've observed some interesting things in getting my character up to ~10 in most of the classes, visiting all the cities, doing a slew of guildlevs, and browsing the available recipes and whatnot.  I've seen some interesting signs that, combined with my 26ish years of gaming experience, have lead to some interesting predictions I thought I'd share.

The way I see it, Final Fantasy XIV's immediate future is going to shake out like this:

• As indicated in this recent interview, they're currently looking at the balance.

• Pretty soon, they're going to notice how Guildleve difficulty isn't influencing monsters as intended, not to mention how those guidleve monsters generally fold under a few attacks (it's probably not intentional they're that much weaker than normal monsters), and how there's currently little-to-no incentive to group up.

• The developers facepalm and perform the necessary adjustments.  Suddenly, the monsters will be putting up a good fight as intended.  Surpise!  Your character is dead.  Guess you should have read that patch message, because if you want to do that Guildleve at "Party" difficulty, you're going to actually need a party now. 

• Well, okay, now players are teaming up more or else doing solo missions that aren't boring, that's good.   Unfortunately, now that the monsters are balanced right, suddenly it becomes a whole lot more necessary for players to actually have upgraded equipment to survive fighting them...

• ...which is a problem because it's hard to find the items you need off the player economy without any kind of retainer search feature or whatever solution they're working on...

• ... and also because the current recipes tend to call for components from all over the crafting tree, sometimes several tiers higher, to build them.  There's a bit of a catch22 going on where adventurers need to have the gear needed to claim the components to get to the crafter to build the gear that the advenurers needed.  Early pioneers are going to have some very painful climbs in bridging that gap.

I'm not dumping on the game by any measure, I'm sure this will all be ironed out in time, and the result will be awesome.  However, while we who enjoy Final Fantasy XIV will likely to continue to enjoy it, but it's becoming clear to me that we've a bumpy ride ahead of us.

Comments

• Werecool01Werecool01 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Don't know about you... but I've got a physical lvl 18 pug and some of the (lvl 10) quests involving Dodos are still insane for me. (i.e. I die horrible deaths when I try to solo) Specially when enemies start linking together and whatnot. As I see it, partying is still very much required for many battle-leves. Also, Dodo's are very much evil evil creatures that must have a grudge for being extinct >_>.

• CelestialnovaCelestialnova Member Posts: 81

oh I agree on the dodo's, but my brother and I have been questing at the second camp now (at first you could legion with 2 people more or less) but we cannot party because of the sheer amount of aggro and hate we git and how tough it is so we always go back one difficulty for just us 2.  I think it works out great, but why would it be difficult at level 1?  I do agree that an AH would be nice to brouse, but currently i love clicking people and checking out their shop and end up after a while getting things for 1,500 gil that others are selling at 40k+, so it's all about the economy :)  still, i would appreciate a more combat focus since i don't think 8 total is enough imo

• KxianiKxiani Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Over the past few days of head start, I've observed some interesting things in getting my character up to ~10 in most of the classes, visiting all the cities, doing a slew of guildlevs, and browsing the available recipes and whatnot.  I've seen some interesting signs that, combined with my 26ish years of gaming experience, have lead to some interesting predictions I thought I'd share.

The way I see it, Final Fantasy XIV's immediate future is going to shake out like this:

• As indicated in this recent interview, they're currently looking at the balance.

• Pretty soon, they're going to notice how Guildleve difficulty isn't influencing monsters as intended, not to mention how those guidleve monsters generally fold under a few attacks (it's probably not intentional they're that much weaker than normal monsters), and how there's currently little-to-no incentive to group up.

• The developers facepalm and perform the necessary adjustments.  Suddenly, the monsters will be putting up a good fight as intended.  Surpise!  Your character is dead.  Guess you should have read that patch message, because if you want to do that Guildleve at "Party" difficulty, you're going to actually need a party now. 

• Well, okay, now players are teaming up more or else doing solo missions that aren't boring, that's good.   Unfortunately, now that the monsters are balanced right, suddenly it becomes a whole lot more necessary for players to actually have upgraded equipment to survive fighting them...

• ...which is a problem because it's hard to find the items you need off the player economy without any kind of retainer search feature or whatever solution they're working on...

• ... and also because the current recipes tend to call for components from all over the crafting tree, sometimes several tiers higher, to build them.  There's a bit of a catch22 going on where adventurers need to have the gear needed to claim the components to get to the crafter to build the gear that the advenurers needed.  Early pioneers are going to have some very painful climbs in bridging that gap.

I'm not dumping on the game by any measure, I'm sure this will all be ironed out in time, and the result will be awesome.  However, while we who enjoy Final Fantasy XIV will likely to continue to enjoy it, but it's becoming clear to me that we've a bumpy ride ahead of us.

Hmm ... this is telling, Geldonyetich. 

When one of FFXIV's more ardent supporters begins telling it like it is, there is cause for immediate concern.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

tbh we done the lvl 20 shits with partie of 6 and those imp and shadow ninjas rape the snot out of us xD we can do it eventually but death kill death kill xD

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308

The rose colored glasses must finally be slipping.

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56

I just broke down and bought the game, in large part due to peer pressure from a multitude of RL friends that are enjoying it.  I have to admit, Im so very skeptical after playing the beta and bashing the game for all of its misgivings, but a small part of me is excited.  Although broken, its Final Fantasy - I grew up playing these games, and after 20 years of gaming the brand is still strong.  I have high hopes that SE can turn this into the game it should have been all along, and will at least give them a little of my money to support such an endeavor.

• radtweakradtweak Member Posts: 83

Ha .. Dodo's a evil.. one poor sod (pug) yesterday had 3 from a leve quest actually spawn camping him, the leve had obviously spawned close to the camp and they didn't disengage when he died and ran to the res point and just kept attacking and killing him. 

It took me (Rank10/lvl15 Conj) and another Conj spamming cure/stoneskin and shockspikes to get them off of him, was funny as hell. 

Originally posted by radtweak

Ha .. Dodo's a evil.. one poor sod (pug) yesterday had 3 from a leve quest actually spawn camping him, the leve had obviously spawned close to the camp and they didn't disengage when he died and ran to the res point and just kept attacking and killing him. 

It took me (Rank10/lvl15 Conj) and another Conj spamming cure/stoneskin and shockspikes to get them off of him, was funny as hell. 

Haha, that and the op hasn't accounted for the salamanders/goobues/giant crabs that stalk some of the areas. Gotta wonder how many people it'd take to kill one of those things...

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Werecool01

Also, Dodo's are very much evil evil creatures that must have a grudge for being extinct >_>.

Rofl! image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

Originally posted by Kxiani

When one of FFXIV's more ardent supporters begins telling it like it is, there is cause for immediate concern.

Not everyone who is enjoying FFXIV are blind defenders of the game! Stands to reason, since a lot of us have had previous dealings with the way SE operate during our (extended) time in FFXI.

Although things are admittently less than rosey at the moment, I still believe they have the player's best interest at heart.

Originally posted by Kxiani

Or it could be a sign that when you're an ardent supporter that you're not automatically a fanboi that can only see the good of the game, as some FFXIV critics often like others to tag?

Personally, I think that balanced views, seeing good and bad, and people capable of seeing it like that, provide the best kind of debates, no polarisation needed.

Originally posted by radtweak

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

I have been sucked into far too many MMO's at launch where one or many things have either been wonkey, not worked, do just felt broken.  It's been so hard to not pick this up.  However with the use of a game controller for optimal movement and commands I think I am just going to steer clear of this game.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

They need to add an Ah and redo the entire crafting tree's IMO. a rank 3 arrow for archer shouldn't need rank 20+ in a craft parts its just silly.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I agree with nearly all these.  Especially the crafting parts.

I was an armorsmith in SWG, so I went for Armorer.  I was level 6, and in order to craft a level 1 piece of armor(copper helm) I need a bronze plate.  Bronze plate is level 11.  I've worked my way up to 8 last night and still can't successfully craft the ingot to attempt the plate(also level 11).  Hopefully they adjust it down the line, as I don't see it an issue for your reasons listed(mobs not being adjusted correctly) but when they are, they need to fix this and make it a little less dependant on other classes.

In order to craft that helm, I have to pickup Armormsith, Goldsmith(unless all the ore to node is in weaponsmith), Weaponsmith, Leatherworking, Carpenter.  To make a level 1 item.  I understand dependency on each other, but this is a bit to much early on.  When its higher equipment no doubt, but lower level items should be nearly able to craft by itself and then work your way into 2, 3, 4, or more professions as you work your way from 1-10, 11-20, etc.

Kilun: The secret to getting past level thresholds due to insufficient resources/or inability to manipulate specific resources is to do the local leves. Try it out, I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

So, die hard fans are turning against the game?

That indicates a fail, a MASSIVE FAILURE actually.

It looks to me like this company lost it's ways, they can't make a quality MMO for western gamers and they even fail at what they are best at, single player games (FFXIII is garbage I hear?).

A bit sad because I enjoyed FF games...like 15 years ago or so.

There is a lot of competition in the MMO genre these days so  old school game designers really need to try and inovate instead of going with the same old school tired and burned out philosophies, that shit doesn't fly anymore I'm afraid.

How many more failures and boring tedious shallow grindfests are we going to see before the genre gets back on track?

It's at all time low at this point.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

Originally posted by Benjola

imageIt seems that some people can only think in binary terms, good-bad, for-against, fans-cynics.

If you're a fan, you apparently can't have criticism of some aspects a game, because criticism+enjoyment don't mix.

Because if you have criticism, that makes you a non-fan, a cynic, and those aren't apparently allowed to also be able to enjoy the game.

Really nice way of thinking: so in the same binary thinking, that means that everything that isn't a full success - on a WoW standard base, that is - is automatically a major fail. Nice to know.

• RhaorthRhaorth Member Posts: 22

It seems as if they need to overhaul the systems put in place. It's obvious that what developers intended isn't working the way it should.

There are glaring issues in combat that have persisted through beta where stamina would randomly drain to 0 upon engaging a monster, and another where monsters would take a few steps away and start healing as if they reset. Not everyone gains rank experience equally, conjurers and thaumaturges can start a levequest in a party and heal each other for rapid xp gains in comparison to other classes. It's faster to rank up by spamming skills instead of taking the most efficient method to kill mobs. On that note, it promotes soloing over grouping for skill gains.

There are a serious lack of mobs to fight, people will have to pretty much scour the map looking for mobs each time, with several just being too difficult for players to attack, even as a group. Perhaps the mobs are there for adequately geared grouped players, but this will never happen due to the lack of an ah, the lack of communication between players, the insane npc prices on higher level equipment, and the fact that some of the simplest crafts cannot be crafted until a fairly decent rank, which also requires a good rank in a few other crafts.

This wouldn't be such an issue if communication was easy, but there's no auction house, the retainer system is such a cluttering mess with the slow ui that finding simple items becomes a grueling task. No one seems to chat much, most of the things you see in the chat window are other people's system spam that is inseparable from your own.

Honestly, it still feels like beta, nothing has changed much from open beta either, except the addition of a few things such as marginally less delay in the ui, less crashing, and a hardware mouse, which already was in beta when someone had to create a third party patch to make it usable in game. The full screen alt+tab crash bug is still there, and among the other changes, it seems as if SE raised the prices of several npc sold goods, lowered the gil amount that people get from levequests, as well as drastically reduced the rewards received from levequests. There is much less armor showing up on levequests in comparison to beta. It went from acquiring a low leveled piece of gear in a levequest to a piece of animal skin, crystal, or random item which only benefits crafters. I can understand the idea behind the rewards to avoid making crafters obsolete, but then it pretty much forces everyone to craft and dealing with the unnecessarily convoluted time sinks involved.

I can only hope that at least some of the issues are going to be addressed on the 30th.

Originally posted by Rhaorth

It seems as if they need to overhaul the systems put in place. It's obvious that what developers intended isn't working the way it should.

There are glaring issues in combat that have persisted through beta where stamina would randomly drain to 0 upon engaging a monster, and another where monsters would take a few steps away and start healing as if they reset. Not everyone gains rank experience equally, conjurers and thaumaturges can start a levequest in a party and heal each other for rapid xp gains in comparison to other classes. It's faster to rank up by spamming skills instead of taking the most efficient method to kill mobs. On that note, it promotes soloing over grouping for skill gains.

There are a serious lack of mobs to fight, people will have to pretty much scour the map looking for mobs each time, with several just being too difficult for players to attack, even as a group. Perhaps the mobs are there for adequately geared grouped players, but this will never happen due to the lack of an ah, the lack of communication between players, the insane npc prices on higher level equipment, and the fact that some of the simplest crafts cannot be crafted until a fairly decent rank, which also requires a good rank in a few other crafts.

This wouldn't be such an issue if communication was easy, but there's no auction house, the retainer system is such a cluttering mess with the slow ui that finding simple items becomes a grueling task. No one seems to chat much, most of the things you see in the chat window are other people's system spam that is inseparable from your own.

Honestly, it still feels like beta, nothing has changed much from open beta either, except the addition of a few things such as marginally less delay in the ui, less crashing, and a hardware mouse, which already was in beta when someone had to create a third party patch to make it usable in game. The full screen alt+tab crash bug is still there, and among the other changes, it seems as if SE raised the prices of several npc sold goods, lowered the gil amount that people get from levequests, as well as drastically reduced the rewards received from levequests. There is much less armor showing up on levequests in comparison to beta. It went from acquiring a low leveled piece of gear in a levequest to a piece of animal skin, crystal, or random item which only benefits crafters. I can understand the idea behind the rewards to avoid making crafters obsolete, but then it pretty much forces everyone to craft and dealing with the unnecessarily convoluted time sinks involved.

I can only hope that at least some of the issues are going to be addressed on the 30th.

Oh, my ... this is worse than I thought.

Somebody call in the national guard.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Speaking of skill points, not to mention that SP Gain is still horribly inconsistent. I've noticed grouped when fighting yellow or so conned dodos, I'd get a varied amount from 0 to 400 at the end, despite not much changing between each fight. Solo tends to be more viable and gives a bit more consistent SP, but even sometimes it drops into the tens instead of the usual average of about 300 to 400. This is at R10.

As for crafting, it's really annoying trying to craft anything usable for some of the crafting jobs right now. Armorsmith is really tough, usually calling on materials that are only craftable until very high up. Clothworking isn't any different on some recipes (I'm looking at YOU brass buckle requirements -.-) along with Blacksmith. Crafting a dagger is within the R1 to 10 range, but crafting its blade is well into the teens?

My only other gripe with crafting revolves around what the hell they're trying to encourage. They wanting to encourage interdependencies between crafters is fine with me, as I've even all ready joined a strictly crafting and gathering linkshell. But to then make other crafting ranks a requirement for something else just seems to go completely against that. IE to craft bronze sabotans (pants) as an armorsmith, you are REQUIRED to have leatherworking up. To make one of the shields, you are required to have carpentry up. And one of the later suits requires -  I think both, or at least one - leatherworking and clothworking up. These are just three off the top of my head.

It just seems weird to want to encourage interdependencies but then force people to level all the crafting jobs anyways. So yeah, I'd say "bumpy road" is about right.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Originally posted by cyphers

imageIt seems that some people can only think in binary terms, good-bad, for-against, fans-cynics.

It's more like, "hey, I hate the game, oh look there's somebody who I perceive as having been largely for the game now pointing out some problems as he sees them.... PROOF! I HAVE PROOF!  YOU SHOULD HATE THE GAME AS MUCH AS ME! I AM VINDICATED! "

Actually, I still think the game is great and worth playing, I'm just not such a blind fanboy as to not see its faults.  In fact, this is far from my only thread like this, I started a couple such threads on the past addressing how FFXIV can't seem to make up its mind whether it's casual or hardcore, the GUI lag (fortunately mostly resolved), and just how nasty it is to do without a better means to facilitate the player economy item conductivity. 

So, no, I'm no fanboy.  The main reason I've been posting generally positive things recently is because I like the game (in general, even if some specifics are negative) and I've been replying often to folks whose negative opinion I perceived as being a bit over the top (falsely exaggeratory).

Not everyone gains rank experience equally, conjurers and thaumaturges can start a levequest in a party and heal each other for rapid xp gains in comparison to other classes.

According to this patch message, this exploit has been fixed.  But, yeah, a lot of hte other stuff you mentioned are ways in which combat lacks a certain necessary level of refinement, indicative we will be seeing some fairly heavy fixes soon which will likely put the playerbase through some growing pains.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

Uh, no, I still think the game is great and worth playing, I'm just not such a blind fanboy as to not see its faults.

You make wild assumptions about people you don't know so let me join the party and predict YOUR future with this game.

You already went from defending a bad game on forums to critiizing it, that's the first step.

Next thing you know you'll find yourself spending more of your game time on forums then actually playing the game, then you'll start feeling like you are forcing yourself to log on and after a while you will realize you are paying for a shity game that you don't even enjoy playing and you will quietly uninstal it.

That's how it works.

Fans of games should really learn to appreciate criticism because that's the only thing that improves games, there is no such thing as a game hater lol get over yourselves.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Uh, no, I still think the game is great and worth playing, I'm just not such a blind fanboy as to not see its faults.

You make wild assumptions about people you don't know so let me join the party and predict YOUR future with this game.

You already went from defending a bad game on forums to critiizing it, that's the first step.

Next thing you know you'll find yourself spending more of your game time on forums then actually playing the game, then you'll start feeling like you are forcing yourself to log on and after a while you will realize you are paying for a shity game that you don't even enjoy playing and you will quietly uninstal it.

That's how it works.

Fans of games should really learn to appreciate criticism because that's the only thing that improves games, there is no such thing as a game hater lol get over yourselves.

That's certainly a familiar pattern, I can't think of an MMORPG that has ever evaded it, but I'll keep my predictions in the nature of game mechanics, not people. 

This is because I know that people are such black boxes, of which anything they've said or done is but a tiniest tip of the iceberg, that predicting what they'll do is a fool's errand at best.  It's reassuring to tell yourself otherwise, but it does great disrespect to the subject of your prediction that you think them so very predictable, and you will find your predictions to be wrong the greater bulk of the time.

For example, you'd reasonably think that anyone who dislikes a game would simply go find a game they like.  That seems like a reasonable prediction, right?  However, you would be disappointed, because it may turn out that this individual feels it's important others to share their view, perhaps that the developers would cave into peer pressure and listen to a body of players for whom the game was never intended rather than their intended audience or (most likely of all) their own experiences as professional game developers when making judgements about what changes will occur to the game.

The thing is, people are not such reasonable creatures sometimes, perhaps even most of the time, or to be more accurate they will operate on a wildly different body of reasonable premises than the next prson.  It tends to make using reason to predict what they'll do very futile.

Originally posted by cyphers

It's more like, "hey, I hate the game, oh look there's somebody who's been largely for the game now pointing out some problems as he sees them.... PROOF! I HAVE PROOF!  YOU SHOULD HATE THE GAME AS MUCH AS ME! I AM VINDICATED! "

I think this is unfair, Geldonyetich.

Believe it or not, many, if not most, of the people complaining about this game on this forum are FFXIV fans who really wanted to like this game.  In many cases, they have even supported SE, and the game, by purchasing the game and subscribing to it.  The only difference being, that whereas a portion of the fan base is willing to be tolerant and accept it's short comings, standing loyally by the brand despite it's flaws, others are not so forgiving.  They expected much more from a brand as highly thought of and polished as the Final Fantasy franchise.

By all indications, the game does appear to have flaws and, in many respects, it does appear to have been released in an unfinished state.  Given that, is it really so wrong for many to express their dissapointment for a franchise that, without exception, many believed capable of releasing a far superior product?

It's a natural reaction.  Let people vent their frustrations.  True there will be people who flame the fires unecessarily. But this is no minor brush fire.  The sheer number of dissatisfied people with this game should be an indication that there is a credible problem at hand.  To ignore this and blindly accept the games shortcomings, would do no one any good.  Which is why your post is an admirable one given your history on this forum for being one of the more ardent defender's of the game.

You did well in acknowldging the game's problems with this thread.  More of these will guarantee positive changes that will bring about positive change for all of final fantasy fans and non-fans alike.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

I soloed Rank 10 leves on lvl 3 difficulty.  I did 6 of them, and two gathering leaves.  I ended up etting 7k Axe points and around 14k physical xp.

My physical level was 16 and my maruader was lvl 12.  The key is to have enough Vit and Dex to survive the damage while killing the mobs.  Some classes have it easier than others.  As a marauder, I can aoe weapon skill and aoe attack.  I also have all the necessary skills from other classes (second wind, ferocity, stoneskin, and cure).

The op is right, for someone like me, with marauder main, the leves are too easy.  But boy are they a lot of fun.

I'm loving my time in Eorzea.  Can't wait to get off work.