Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfect MMO!

The reason why I like vanguard is because of its huge world and diverse ideas for all players. For example different rule set servers to give what the gamer needs! PvP Only? PvE Only? RvR Only? RP Only? Vanguard would have it, for they think like gamers for once, unlike some other companies.

The beautiful world, for example take a look at the screenshots, most RPGs just put a few trees that look like squares and set it anywhere, but in Vanguard, there are plenty of trees and the entire area is that cool.

From what I see, they are going to make a sphere system where we can pick where our character can go, not being limited by barriers of job classes, I mean really, do you want a mage to have to use a mage weapon to be strong? Or do you want to add some warrior classes to a mage so it can wield a sword and cast some spells?

Want to build a house? Get a crafting skill and build one for your own, or get a boat and travel with your friends and adventure in the high seas. We are bored of waiting on boats till we get to the other side right? Then why not have some action on the high seas, where pirates or monsters can attack you at any moment.

---------------------------------------------

Ragnarok Knights Supreme Leader

---------------------------------------------

Comments

• nissa_rednissa_red Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by LightSlayer
    PvP Only? PvE Only? RvR Only? RP Only? Vanguard would have it, for they think like gamers for once, unlike some other companies.

Where did you read that Vanguard will have any PvP whatsoever ? Maybe did we not read the same Sigil boards :)

The beautiful world, for example take a look at the screenshots, most RPGs just put a few trees that look like squares and set it anywhere, but in Vanguard, there are plenty of trees and the entire area is that cool.

In my opinion, pretty graphics are a must nowadays, not something that makes a game stand out.

I don't know, I have no hype whatsoever about this game. It seems to be a EQ relooked 2004 by the same team that worked on the initial EQ. Will we find the same feelings as back on EQ's release ? I wish, but I doubt it.

• TarthusTarthus Member Posts: 172

Where did you read that Vanguard will have any PvP whatsoever ? Maybe did we not read the same Sigil boards :)

From the official FAQs at www.vanguardsoh.com:

15.1 Will you have different servers for different play styles?

We think an MMOG needs to choose a focus and stick to its guns... say cooperative PvE, ala EverQuest, or PvP, ala Shadowbane. BUT, we think a LOT can be done via alternate rules servers, including exploring PvP in an otherwise PvE game, RP servers, etc.

[email protected]
    AIM: Tarthus Darkmist

• the_voicethe_voice Member Posts: 28
    This game won't be the perfect mmo, everything around it is based in theroy, none of it is fact.

imageimageimage
    A sleeper, one of thousands, I wait for the return of Bob, and all his enemies will tremble in fear...

imageimageimage
    A sleeper, one of thousands, I wait for the return of Bob, and all his enemies will tremble in fear...

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

[quote]Originally posted by "the_voice"
    [b]This game won't be the perfect mmo, everything around it is based in theroy, none of it is fact.
    [/quote]

Wait til October when they start showing the game to journalists, then the facts will come.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• JustinianJustinian Member Posts: 41
    Know something I don't? image
  • henchsterhenchster Member Posts: 29

if the game can add in some content and upgrade the graphic to some thing like www.darkfallonline.com or www.worldofwarcraft.comthen it be perfect

Recommended Take A Look
    The new firefox preview release empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser.

• IdzeidolfIdzeidolf Member Posts: 58

Hmmm, thought that the site said the following:

"There will be no PVP only PvE..."

Interests: EQ2 & Wow (OMG!!)
    Played: EQ, DAoC, AC, AC2, UO, Meridian59, CoH, Horizons, Planetside, & SWG
    Liked Most: DAoC

Interests: EQ2 & Wow (OMG!!)
    Played: EQ, DAoC, AC, AC2, UO, Meridian59, CoH, Horizons, Planetside, & SWG
    Liked Most: DAoC

• JustinianJustinian Member Posts: 41

Direct Quote from the FAQ:

15.1 Will you have different servers for different play styles?

We think an MMOG needs to choose a focus and stick to its guns... say cooperative PvE, ala EverQuest, or PvP, ala Shadowbane. BUT, we think a LOT can be done via alternate rules servers, including exploring PvP in an otherwise PvE game, RP servers, etc.

Before Brad McQuaid left Sony Online, one of the last things he worked on was Firiona Vie, the RP server, and we think it turned out pretty well (in fact, he leveled a Ranger there to 47). At Sigil and with our first MMOG, we plan on really pushing alternate ruleset servers to their limits.

15.2 Will there be Player vs. Player servers?

Yes, and hopefully several variants. How many might be available at launch is up in the air at this point.

• aNgELfiRe_aNgELfiRe_ Member Posts: 37
    Vanguard is going to be the best MMORPG out, when it comes out.image

aF/SeRa

aF/SeRa

• Vingador_brVingador_br Member Posts: 9

Well i really hope to see it as very nice mmorpg, but the perfect mmorpg is not comming before 2010. :)

And till we have a time to play Vanguarda that is not comming before 2006, take a look at www.darkandlight.net :)

• Cyb3rWarriorCyb3rWarrior Member Posts: 10

I am speechless, such high standards, and such high quality, my only complaint is that if you die people will loot your corpse ::::21:: Its kind of EQ kind of ::::12::

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    What is RvR?

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

RvR? Either Risk vs Reward, or in PvP terms, Realm vs Realm (think DAoC).

I'm not a big fan of separate shards - sounds good in theory, right? Different rule servers (variants) to allow players greater choice. Why not have this choice available from the get go, built into the game engine? After EQ, I refuse to play PvP unless it is a fundamental element of the game, and has a decisive effect on gameplay (think Eve Online).

Vanguard sounds like a PvE game with a PvP element tacked on i.e. a PvP server. No thanks.

That said, being a sad EQ fan, if it lives up to expectation, I'll play - but strictly PvE. PvP implementation sounds like a compromise.

Perfect MMOG? Like I said earlier, EQ content with UO's hardcore (non-linear) play. That's my idea of perfect. I'm taking an interest in Vanguard due to the developing team, and most importantly, because this team understand the concept of Risk vs Reward. I want a sense of achievement out of the game - I don't want a diluted, dumbed down MMOG focused around Monty Haul i.e. inflation of an ever set of more 'Ubah' items, in a series of ever more dumbed down encounters. That's why I quit EQ when SoL was released. I felt that SoE's vision of the game was the reason that led to the demise of my guild: "RECRUIT AND LEVEL!".

I knew my guild was dead as soon as these words were first uttered. I was right, but I didn't dervive any pleasure out of being right.

If Brad and co. stick to their vision contained in the FAQs i.e. looking back at what did work, why it worked, and improving on these concepts, and not repeating the mistakes that previous games made, then the game sounds promising. At least, the developers have a track record, so I'm quietly optimistic.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• AtomicusAtomicus Member Posts: 202
    Take DAOCs Realm vs. Realm and SWG overt/covert PvP as well as WoW contested territory idea than we would have winner in my opinion. Little to no ganking with some perpose to seek out the enemy through conquering territories and gaining pts to increase abilities or purchase advanced equipment. yes, no?

----------------------------------------------+
    | Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64
    | ABIT AN8 x32 Nforce4 SLI x16
    | AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual-Core 2.6GHz
    | Corsair 3.1 GB DDR 400 Dual-Channel
    | (2x) BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
    | Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    | Western Digital 250Gb SATA

• vash85vash85 Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Atomicus
    Take DAOCs Realm vs. Realm and SWG overt/covert PvP as well as WoW contested territory idea than we would have winner in my opinion. Little to no ganking with some perpose to seek out the enemy through conquering territories and gaining pts to increase abilities or purchase advanced equipment. yes, no?

IMO, yes. That is what WoW should have done from the start (as stated in their manual), but didn't. They say they are going to have it in one of their "future patches", that doesn't even have a ETA on it.

Having PVP without nothing to counterweight the outcome of your action is completely useless.

"Oh, I just killed a level 40 undead......" And? ......."That's it". What's fun about that?

(Beginning rant)

The only thing that is does cause is countless ganking. As WoW stands today, the reason why they are holding strong is of their fanbase. The others are leaving because of the lack of end-game content and the lack of PVP in a whole. These people that are leaving are all level 50-60 and it is not their fault they leveled that quickly. WoW is a casual game and not made for the hardcore type. What Blizzard did wrong is try to make WoW a game center around PVP and they failed. As the result, your going to hear is countless crying of "nerfing" and "overpowering" throughout the community. Add this to the pile of other things that need to be fix and it just creates mayham.

If WoW didn't want to put the "reward system" in, they should just made every server "PVE". For PVP to work, you got to have something in return. Period.

As the way it looks, Vangaurd is going on the right track with this and I hope it will be more interesting and fun than any other MMORPGs.

• EtericEteric Member UncommonPosts: 38

From what I see, they are going to make a sphere system where we can pick where our character can go, not being limited by barriers of job classes, I mean really, do you want a mage to have to use a mage weapon to be strong? Or do you want to add some warrior classes to a mage so it can wield a sword and cast some spells?

No, I think you took that wrong. You'll have specific classes, but you get to chose what your character specializes in. For instance, you're a wizard, you might be able to make yourself a master ice caster, etc.

The sphere system is a switch between tradeskill and adventure mode. For instance, you're coming back from an adventure, and you want to do some crafting. You have to go back to an outpost, and change your sphere to the tradeskill sphere. :)

• Cyb3rWarriorCyb3rWarrior Member Posts: 10

Think Guild Wars, you choose your primary skills, and abilities, then you have backup skills that you can use, but you can't use any specialty stuff.

• EtericEteric Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by Cyb3rWarrior
    Think Guild Wars, you choose your primary skills, and abilities, then you have backup skills that you can use, but you can't use any specialty stuff.

Yeah, I played guild wars, isn't really my cup of tea though. ; /

• Originally posted by Atomicus
    Take DAOCs Realm vs. Realm and SWG overt/covert PvP as well as WoW contested territory idea than we would have winner in my opinion. Little to no ganking with some perpose to seek out the enemy through conquering territories and gaining pts to increase abilities or purchase advanced equipment. yes, no?

A better example is take DAoC's RvR, and AO's PvP (which is where SWG got all of its PvP ideas from!). AO also has a much better contested territory game feature. AO actually still has the best ever contested territory game feature. In AO players can take over the game world, and still defend their gains while they are offline, or off adventuring! Which is why AO has the best ever PvP out of every MMORPG created. With SWG and DAoC a distant 2nd and 3rd.

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

-DAoC
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

-Coming sooner or later... CoH, WoW, MXO, UO, GW, As3, RS

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

Perfection does not exist - you can always do better and you can always grow. Not mine, but I can't remember who said that.