Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't quite decide...

hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster here.  Like many, i am anxiously waiting on the release of dcuo and gw2.  However I can't decide what to play while I wait. None of the games that I am currently trying grab my attention and keep me wanting more.  From what I've observed, this is a very helpful community so now I ask all of you, what should i play?

To give anyone an idea of what I am normally drawn to, I played runescape for almost a years worth of hours.  The aspects i enjoyed the sandbox-like aspects of that game.  Being able to do whatever i wanted to achieve whatever goal as well as the pking and staking that used to go on.  Nothing I have played can hold me as well as that game did.

Anyway here are the options:

Games I am currently trying:

• Champions online (seems fun but from what I hear it wears of quick)

• City of Heroes (not a big fan of its heavy instancing)

• Dark Fall (big turn off was that my opening tutorial quest was bugged and i could not complete it)

• Ryzom (really fun but just seemed empty)

Here are some games i can re-sub to.  Have not tried any of these in a while, some since launch, so they could have improved.

• Aion

• STO

• WOW

• Everquest 2

Even though i only want to kill a little over a month until the release of dcuo or gw2, I don't mind if the game is not a casual mmo because its something that i can always go back to it later on.  I am also open to any suggestions.  Thanks everyone

Comments

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

If your only looking at a months time.. I would go to STO and putter around.. They have done some nice updates I hear and it was always short timer friendly.. Personally I am back in EQ2 until SWOTOR is out.. :)

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Do you know if they improved STO at all since launch?  I remember at one point there was no auto-attack option so i was clicking away like crazy with the mouse.  How is everquest at the moment.  I was thinking about re-subbing but wasn't sure if the new f2p eq2 effected the original at all

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

First thing you should be prepared for is more than a month.  Last I heard is that GW2 is aiming for February next year...and DCUO has released so few details, I think it is highly likely that it won't be released until spring.

Of the list, Aion has supposedly made updates that have made some people happy....so you can try checking that out.  I personally would avoid CO and STO as they both getting boring very quick (updates to STO don't seem to be making many people in STO that much happier).  WoW has become substantially easier if you haven't played it in many years.  EQ2 could be worth checking out (I think it went F2P).

Some other suggestions would be to try out the F2P LOTRO or DDO.

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

EQ2 F2P is not worth your time there are far to many things they have pulled out of the game, but it is on its own server.

Re-Sub to EQ2 it now has battlegrounds for PVP that can be fun. I took about a year break and have just resubed myself and I am having fun again. Not sure how long it will last but we will see.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

As a fairly quick interim game, you might also consider the WAR unlimited free trial.  The PvP in Tier 1 was always a ton of fun, and you can play it for free for as long as you want.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

EQ2 is fun.. Course I am in a well established guild and have played for years.. The EQ2 FtP sucks.. Its a very hacked down version of the game and if you want to do anything substantial you have to pay way more than a monthly sub.

I mentioned STO simply because I did play that for 3 months and if your only playing for a month then there is likely enough there to keep you happy for that short period of time.. As far as I know they have included new diplomatic mission lined and fully accessible ships(Housing) and weekly story lines that look interesting. I have thought about paying a month and seeing what they have done myself :)

As for the waiting.. DCUO is due to come out in November :)

Thanks everyone. I completely forgot about the unlimited WAR trial.  I may give that a go.  Im leaning more towards renewing eq2 simply because i cringe when it comes to cryptic games.  As far as the releases go, if nothing gets delayed, Guild wars 2 and dcuo are set to release the same day.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

You mentioned enjoying previous games which were more sandboxy and let you do what you want when you wanted to. In that case I'd say give Asheron's Call a go. The only reason not to is if you are one of the people who needs flashy new graphics to enjoy a game. The game is 11 years old and most of the graphics range anywhere from 5 years olf to more recent but the engine itself doesn't have fancy lighting and all of the newer directx features that make a lot of games pop.

It really is in a class of its own and is a blast to play.

How is the community in asheron's call? I don't mind it being small as long as its there.  Graphics  mean very little to me. After all, i did play runescape. 

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Right now is a good time to re-sub to EQ2

They have probably the best halloween events in any MMO if you're into that sort of thing.  Im going to be cranking up my sub again in a couple weeks

• echose7enechose7en Member UncommonPosts: 55

If you dont like instances stay way away from CO and STO, both are instanced to hell and back.

Aion has improved quite abit.

• yabooeryabooer Member Posts: 97

In my honest opinon, stay away from WoW, STO, Darkfall and Aion. Those are my personal opinions that I'm sharing, just bad atmosphere from all 3, one is still underdevolped (Guess), WoW is just too instant gratification now, focusing more on the giving away gear than earning it. Last I had played Aion it was just filled with the same players as WoW, (Mostly below the age of 15) Darkfall's top tier of players are people that bugged themselves to that level, Skill <Grind in that game 100%, it takes a good couple of minutes to learn how to aim infront of them and how much etc..

If you have purchased 50%+ of the XP's that EQ2 has then I'd resub, I go back every now and then, I hope I don't have to go into why, I hope.

Though I am happy someone mentioned AC, it was a great FUN game, the magic system was pretty fun to play around with, but this is an old school MMO, know that ONE tiny mistake in a build can ruin you, or gimp you compared to others, if you're fine with that type of decision, play it, it is a LOT of fun.

Vanguard is another game that isn't seen a lot, yet has so much on the table, FFA PvP, great graphics, great game play, unique classes.

I do have to also say LotRo was a fun game, brought most of the things on the table that were killed off in AC2 (Asheron's Call 2, may you R.I.P), really great stories, fun game play. Only thing it lacks is PvP to be honest, it isn't atrocious, but sheesh it is up there lol, it is only fun if you can get a group of 5+ of friends to join in.

If you're just trying to kill a month, create a F2P WAR account, twinking level 10's and just PvPing was pretty fun.

• DrukqsDrukqs Member UncommonPosts: 28

Lord of the Rings hands down... Its F2P but with restrictions. Best game I ever played and I just started 3 weeks ago. They have 4 new servers out. Im on riddermark server

thanks everyone. i have alot to think about and try.  I went on a limb and signed up for the 14 day free trial for asheron's call.  All that got me was a charge on my credit card (even though its free) and an error saying i cant authenticate.  Im hesitant to try lotro until i get this asheron's call mess settled with turbine. 

Eq2 seems to be a popular suggestion and being that i have everything up to setinals fate, i may re sub that. im going to lurk around the forums and try a couple more trials first though.

thanks again for all the responses so far.