Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a few questions

pardon my ignorance but i basicly just stumled onto this game so i have a few questions for those in closed beta.

is this an open world game like DF? or instanced? how large is the world compared to other open world sandbox mmos? is there pvp (i'm asuming ship battles)? is it a full loot sandbox where you die and you loose everything on your ship? do you only own ships, or can you also own/control cities or ports or houses or land? can you manualy control your ship wile at sea or do you only choose your destinations and then watch it sail? is there any "off the ship" gamaplay such as taking your character down onto an island to dicover it? or is your character very restricted once off the ship?

tks in advance for any repplies.

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

pardon my ignorance but i basicly just stumled onto this game so i have a few questions for those in closed beta.

is this an open world game like DF? or instanced? how large is the world compared to other open world sandbox mmos? is there pvp (i'm asuming ship battles)? is it a full loot sandbox where you die and you loose everything on your ship? do you only own ships, or can you also own/control cities or ports or houses or land? can you manualy control your ship wile at sea or do you only choose your destinations and then watch it sail? is there any "off the ship" gamaplay such as taking your character down onto an island to dicover it? or is your character very restricted once off the ship?

tks in advance for any repplies.

Will try and answer what i can of this.

Is this an open world game like DF? sorta of,  you have the choice to go where you want in town and outside of town but most of the open world lies in the water on your boat.

I'd say it's about on par with some worlds, smaller then others, It take me a long time to get from Amsterdam to cape town though. Think about 2 hours, if that helps at all?

PVP is not FFA looting. You basically sink the other person ship and you can collect on their bounty or be a pirate and have others come after you, i can't confirm this but i think you can take some of their goods if you board/melee fight them.

I think if you die you lose all your cargo, your ship sinks thus incuring a damage to your over all durability (making it sooner that you have to make or buy a new one. so you do have to be careful not to die as ships can get expensive to replace)

you can control/take over cities/ports which are generally the same thing in this game.

Ship control is based mainly on pointing where in the sea you want to go and going there. You can use the WASD keys to move but they aren't as reliable. As far as I know you can't click a place or a port on the map and just go there.

You can explore the town and it's surrounding lands with your avatar, while the majority of the game play is on the water, there is land elements as well.

Answered as best as i know how. Hope that helps.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

very cool. tks again for the repply. 2 hous of travel time form Asterdam to Cape Town is very big map indeed. definately interesting as long as the combat is fun and you'r not looking at endelss water everywere you go. are there any videos of gameplay yet?

If you don't mind youtube and that it's a trailer (which means some cinematics which tell you nothing of the game) then heres a video. At certain points it does show both land and sea. There are other videos which show more in depth which are in the suggestion list. Heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSPXh67_lsE&feature=related

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

I played the game for all of about an hour.

the problem i had with it was the tutorial. the shops/town are all zoned off and the tutorial would have you running inside the school, talk to someone, run outside of the school, talk to someone, run back into the school, talk to someone, go back outside and talk to 4 people then talk to another one then go back inside.

ship movement was poor to say the least. I would try to initiate combat with a pirate npc and it would say i was not close enough. sad thing was, i was parked right on top of the ship. after it wouldnt start i sailed away, 4 minutes later it would start a random battle with said npc.

you could control every aspect of the sails though which was pretty sweet. you could turn them in to the wind at certain degree and drop the sail to different points (half mast, full, quarter, etc, etc)

It "seemed" like a fun game but the time it would take to get anywhere in the game put me off. it has been out in korea or wherever for over 2 years now. I would chalk this up as a ridiculous asian grinder...

edit:

if you are looking for a saling/pirate type game wait for pirates of the burning sea to go free to play. it was announced they are moving in that direction and have been working towards it for a while. I am not sure when it is making the change but they announced it was happening.

Originally posted by rmason

I played the game for all of about an hour.

the problem i had with it was the tutorial. the shops/town are all zoned off and the tutorial would have you running inside the school, talk to someone, run outside of the school, talk to someone, run back into the school, talk to someone, go back outside and talk to 4 people then talk to another one then go back inside.

Yes the schools are a bit of a problem with all the walking around but i think they were trying to introduce you to every aspect of the game. There are better ways to do this. But it does give you alot of xp and you know whats going on when your done, for the most part :P

ship movement was poor to say the least. I would try to initiate combat with a pirate npc and it would say i was not close enough. sad thing was, i was parked right on top of the ship. after it wouldnt start i sailed away, 4 minutes later it would start a random battle with said npc.

Actually it's because your on top of the pirate that you couldn't start the fight. Theres a large round circle that is light blue that you have to be in to start. This threw me to, but you have to be in that outer ring when combat goes to start (hit about 2 to 3 seconds before you want to so that way your in the ring when it starts.  The random NPC attack was either another pirate seeing you and tracking you down or you got ambushed

you could control every aspect of the sails though which was pretty sweet. you could turn them in to the wind at certain degree and drop the sail to different points (half mast, full, quarter, etc, etc)

It "seemed" like a fun game but the time it would take to get anywhere in the game put me off. it has been out in korea or wherever for over 2 years now. I would chalk this up as a ridiculous asian grinder...

edit:

if you are looking for a saling/pirate type game wait for pirates of the burning sea to go free to play. it was announced they are moving in that direction and have been working towards it for a while. I am not sure when it is making the change but they announced it was happening.

The problem i had with burning sea is losing everything, your ship,  your cargo, your attachments. That set me way too far back. But to each their own. This is free to play so it's not like you lose anything.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i have posted about this in other threads, but the way the PVP in UWO works is:

---ship combat---

in non-hostile waters you have to issue duels to players. NPCs will randomly spawn to attack you as you sail (in form of a random encounter) or you can issue an attack on the npc ships that sail around. both types are open to attack. 

national ships (which increase your ranking as a pirate, and makes the port/country of that ship/fleet most hostile towards you)

NPC pirates (not to be confused with the random spawned pirates, there are many types of pirates that float around for you to attack, doing so will not increase your pirate ranking or cause any ports to be hostile towards you.

when you sail up to attack there are 2 transparent circles around the target (the ship you clicked on) the lighter/darker outer ring is where you have to be to issue the attack (its sort of a fail safe, to give players and pirate ships the chance to run or fight.)

after the attack is issued the fleets become locked so no pirates will spawn to attack you for cargo or players cant attack you ect. there is a lite ring around the area that marks the battlefield/zone crossing it counts as defeat/running away. (again this is to give players the chance to save them selves from being WTF BBQ pwned)

while in sea battle, you have 3 types of attacks

1) cannons (the range damage and reload times are different for each type of cannon. as well you can get single/double/chain/grape/fire shots for the cannons. that do extra damage to the ship. )

2) ramming ( if you buy a ram for your ship as an alt attack item you can ram in to enemy ships and either 1 hit them or do a large amount of damage as well as cause "leaking" damage to it)

3) boarding (brigand class tree gets the skill Aboardage to start boarding attacks most npcs will do boarding as well) boarding uses your crew to attack. so if you attack with a weak crew (either in total numbers, or skill level) you can lose a sea battle pretty quickly. but boarding will also allow you to "steal" more of their cargo then you would normally get just sinking the ship. as well im told some special crafting items can only be gained via ship boarding

i have not tried land battle PVP, but there are NPC pirates on land you can fight and steal stuff from. but land battles use the crew and supplies of your ship. so you could very well wipe out your crew while you are killing pirates on land.

-----cannons and types---

normal cannons (have basic damage/range/penetration)

double shop (fires 2 rounds instead of 1, suffers from slower reload but has average range, double shot can increase the total damage done)

chain shot (does less damage to the ship, but can strip the sails which slows the ship. if you are after boarding attacks)

grape shot (does next to no damage to the ship but does maximum damage to the crew (again boarding makes this great)

fire "pyro" shot (does decent damage to the ship, with a chance to cause a DOT attack of fire, which can do 10-20 damage per second it burns on the ship)

most cannons have decent range and reload times but the fastest reloads seem to be the normal 1 shot cannons. but on the same coin they do lower damage then some of the cannons. good when you start out but better replaced by more specialized cannons.

----DOT attacks---

fire (burns the ship causes damage to cargo and ship HP until its put out via "crew's natural fire fighting" or via an NPC bought item "fire pail"

leaking (is a dot you get naturally while sailing around, from storms or rough seas or from some ramming attacks, it causes damage to the ship until its patched. via "crew's natural repair" or from a Pail bought from the NPC)

the rest of the game's DOT damage are done via sailing around and getting plague or some special skill/items you can buy that confuse/blind/tire the crew its used on, but they are not caused by cannons so i wont post them all here

----i should point out, that taking extreamly high damaging hits or any hits to the bow or stern can cause critical damage and that will lower the total durabilty of your ship by up to 20 HP. the HP can not be recovered except by a special crafted item ingame some quests may give you 1 or 2 but they will only recover you a few points. ----

all in all the game is a pretty open world. it does have zoned areas, but given the game is 5 or so years old, im not surprised by the zoning. its not as sandboxed or open world like dark fall or AoC ect. but it does carry it's self pretty well, you do feel like the sea are alive and kicking. even tho the npc ships do have a set sail path. (again this comes back to age and style of game IMO)

compaired to voyage century / bounty bay. UWO has a much more living world look to it then they did. i have not tried PoTBS so i dont know how it would stand up against a newer game like that. the ships handle fairly realistically  FPS movement is better for land areas then sea, as you can get spun around really easy during battle using it.

if you are bored and looking for something to play, its worth a shot to at least try it. customization is not as high end as APB or AoC but it does alright for most people's tastes